PDA

View Full Version : Tips for swimming fly

dorianblade
February 15th, 2007, 03:04 PM
Can anyone help a beginner fly swimmer?

Frank Thompson
February 15th, 2007, 03:13 PM
Dorian:

No, no, no, no. You are just asking for it. Please, please, please, no more stuff like this for locked out threads. For almost year we did not have locked out or nuked thread. In the last 2 months we have had 3 locked out threads and one nuked thread started innocently by Jesse. Even if people like this, which I am sure they do, this will be nuked soon and won't last until the end of the day.

SwimStud
February 15th, 2007, 03:18 PM
Fly is very controversial! ;)

Frank Thompson
February 15th, 2007, 03:25 PM
Fly is very controversial!

I was not referring to swimming fly. I think Dorian nuked his original thread so what I said will make no sense.

The Fortress
February 15th, 2007, 03:37 PM
Dorian:

No, no, no, no. You are just asking for it. Please, please, please, no more stuff like this for locked out threads. For almost year we did not have locked out or nuked thread. In the last 2 months we have had 3 locked out threads and one nuked thread started innocently by Jesse. Even if people like this, which I am sure they do, this will be nuked soon and won't last until the end of the day.

That post, if you could call it that, was a heck of a lot more offensive than any of the written squabbles about SR vs. NSR topics in the two recently closed threads. Frank, I'm not "sure" anyone would really like that photo here.

Dorian:

Rich recently started a thread entitled "Learn to Fly," which had loads of helpful tips in it. I suggest you consult that thread.

geochuck
February 15th, 2007, 03:44 PM
Fly the easiest stroke to learn, recover 2 arms cleanly over the top. Enter with the least amount of splash that you can make. Press down and back similar to front crawl only slightly wider. Finish the stroke at the hip and exit cleanly, repeat, repeat, repeat...

Kick from the shoulders, use the whole body, don't be too aggressive at first. Use a 2 beat kick for each arm rotation. Learn the right way do not use a frog kick or whip kick. To start with 2 gentle equal kicks, after you start to get the feel use one big kick as the arms move forward from the finish then a gentle kick to keep balance. Keep it simple!

dorianblade
February 15th, 2007, 04:41 PM
Yes, the previous thread (for whomever got the chance to see it) was not intended for this forum. My apologize if you were offended Fortress, and thank you for all the fan mail.

Caped Crusader
February 15th, 2007, 11:14 PM
[quote=Frank Thompson;78940]. Even if people like this, which I am sure they do, /quote]

Someone PM'd be this. I'm sure almost no one would really like this.

Learn fly the Rich way.

Frank Thompson
February 16th, 2007, 10:54 AM
[quote=Frank Thompson;78940]. Even if people like this, which I am sure they do, /quote]

Someone PM'd be this. I'm sure almost no one would really like this.

Learn fly the Rich way.

True on this website, yes no one would like this because its not appropriate here. However, I have to disagree with you that outside of this website people would like it because its Sports Illustrated Number 1 selling issue every year for the last 44 years. Also, yesterday when I was in my local bookstore the current weekly issue was sold out. I heard the person working saying every year this happens even when they order extra stock for the backlog. So I am sure that someone would really like this.

I have never seen Rich swim fly so I can't comment if its controversial or right way. However, he does seem to be improving on the breastroke.

The Fortress
February 16th, 2007, 11:40 AM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Very funny Frank.

I guess you missed the discussion of the SI swimsuit issue on the "women are trouble" thread.

Rich said: "I have never bought or ogled the SI swimsuit edition."

Others jumped in to agree. One said the models looked "lobotomized." So I'm not sure we like it off line either all that much. (S)he-Man did suggest a USMS calendar with fastskin attire ... She did look pretty awesome in her "prom dress."

I think Rich is going to improve quickly in fly too.

SwimStud
February 16th, 2007, 11:48 AM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Very funny Frank.

I guess you missed the discussion of the SI swimsuit issue on the "women are trouble" thread.

Rich said: "I have never bought or ogled the SI swimsuit edition."

Others jumped in to agree. One said the models looked "lobotomized." So I'm not sure we like it off line either all that much. (S)he-Man did suggest as USMS calendar with fastskin attire ...

I think Rich is going to improve quickly in fly too.

I can only improve in Fly LOL.

I need to go see Mr Barra when the arctic circle recedes...I'm sure he just wants to laugh at my bad swimming.

Frank Thompson
February 16th, 2007, 11:54 AM
I didn't read that "Women are Trouble" thread so I will have to go back and visit it. USMS did have a swimsuit calendar back in 1987 and 1988. There were no high tech suits then and I believe they showed different swimmers/models starting with the then 19-24 age group for January and going thru all the ages by month ending with the 75-79 age group in December. I still have those calendars because I logged and wrote all of my workouts each day, by month. I went over 1 million yards/meters for both years back then. The calendars are similar to what USA Swimming does today in that there is a nice bio of the swimmers of what the swimmers do in and out of the pool.

The Fortress
February 16th, 2007, 11:56 AM
out of the pool.

You didn't say if you were in the calendar ...

Isn't "out of the pool" NSR? :rofl:

fanstone
February 16th, 2007, 11:57 AM
Three considerations:
1- I had no idea the Fortress was so fast or so "high" up in the rankings. I already had respect for her, just by reading her posts and so forth, but now I have a different perspective altogether.
2- After getting in shape (restarted the 2007 training after a month off) I will try and do a better fly, and I will try and do the one armed fly drill, and I will not do the butterfrog. I have been reading all the material here for the last two months on butterfly and have, I hope, learned something.
3- I have seen the Sports Illustraded Swimming Attire issue in the past, and some of it recently by way of the internet. No big deal here (waxing and small bikinis are a brazilian invention). I have also been in several Spas (saunas and whatnot) over in Europe where everyone is naked, except when in the pool, and it takes some getting used to it. Mostly a cultural bias, but you don't ever feel completely at ease, if you weren't raised that way. Finally, I must say that I also swim to look better in my swimming trunks, although I've given up trying to weigh what I did back when I was seventeen (160 at the same height and size I am today at 210). Cheers, billy fanstone

swimr4life
February 16th, 2007, 12:02 PM
Dorian:

:confused: Huh?

The Fortress
February 16th, 2007, 12:04 PM
Three considerations:
1- I had no idea the Fortress was so fast or so "high" up in the rankings. I already had respect for her, just by reading her posts and so forth, but now I have a different perspective altogether.
2- After getting in shape (restarted the 2007 training after a month off) I will try and do a better fly, and I will try and do the one armed fly drill, and I will not do the butterfrog. I have been reading all the material here for the last two months on butterfly and have, I hope, learned something.
3- I have seen the Sports Illustraded Swimming Attire issue in the past, and some of it recently by way of the internet. No big deal here (waxing and small bikinis are a brazilian invention). I have also been in several Spas (saunas and whatnot) over in Europe where everyone is naked, except when in the pool, and it takes some getting used to it. Mostly a cultural bias, but you don't ever feel completely at ease, if you weren't raised that way. Finally, I must say that I also swim to look better in my swimming trunks, although I've given up trying to weigh what I did back when I was seventeen (160 at the same height and size I am today at 210). Cheers, billy fanstone

Yes, we are very different here in the States. That's apparently why the "topic poll" thread was closed by the mere mention of ... :eek:

I weigh exactly what I did at 17.:rofl: It's just that between college and 2005 when I wasn't swimming, I weighed much less (well, except for the baby periods). Swimming gives me really broad shoulders and makes me gain weight instantly. I should really go back to running ...

I'm glad you're working on your fly. Me too. Always.

Miss Scaaalet: I'll PM you.

ande
February 16th, 2007, 12:10 PM
as for fly tips
move your arms as fast as you can,
if you don't know when to kick keep your body pretty flat
get a good streamline and push off each wall
improve your SDK

she's pretty fast for someone so height challenged

ande

SwimStud
February 16th, 2007, 12:13 PM
:confused: Huh?

Beth...just let me give you a shoulder rub..it'll all make sense... ;)

hahaha

poolraat
February 16th, 2007, 12:15 PM
she's pretty fast for someone so
height challenged

Ande gets the zinger of the day!
And it's still early. :banana: :banana:

The Fortress
February 16th, 2007, 12:17 PM
she's pretty fast for someone so
height challenged

We are not supposed to be referring to body parts or bodies, Raz. :thhbbb: Everyone is too thin skinned. ;) But if you're volunteering for the USMS calendar, that'd be great. I'm sure they'd like tall folks.

Frank Thompson
February 16th, 2007, 12:17 PM
You didn't say if you were in the calendar ...

Isn't "out of the pool" NSR? :rofl:

No I was not in the calendar. I remember Dan & Eddie Grunder, Tom Boak, Jane Katz, and Bill Barthold being part of those calendars. And, yes there was some of it NSR because it would be pretty boring if all it was Swimming. Actually about 75% was SR and the other stuff was about career, family, and hobbies. I have the recent USA Swimming calendar and they do about the same thing. For instance, Ian Crocker likes restoring old cars and Bob Dylan music and plays guitar. Natalie Coughlin likes to cook. Those were the January and February swimmers.

The Fortress
February 16th, 2007, 12:18 PM
Ande gets the zinger of the day!
And it's still early. :banana: :banana:

Poolraat:

If you'd only take out that 100 IM faster, maybe you could beat me. :thhbbb: What're you waiting around for on back? You don't want Rich catching you on breast, after all.

SwimStud
February 16th, 2007, 12:25 PM
Poolraat:

If you'd only take out that 100 IM faster, maybe you could beat me. :thhbbb: What're you waiting around for on back? You don't want Rich catching you on breast, after all.

Why do I get dragged into this? Oh I know...I virtual massage Beth and you get all huffy...

I think a USM Forum gang calendar would be great. I think Dave Barra's current avatar would make a good October pic. It's a little scary.

newmastersswimmer
February 16th, 2007, 12:33 PM
I think a USM Forum gang calendar would be great. I think Dave Barra's current avatar would make a good October pic. It's a little scary.

posted by Richie

Is there a place in the Calendar for either JimCroceMan or Coal Miner Jim?.....You got to admit that the blonde pigtail like locks in my latest avatar are quite pretty now....LOL!!:rofl: :rofl:

Newmastersswimmer

The Fortress
February 16th, 2007, 12:39 PM
I think we should include the photo of Geek and Gull in the calendar. I think evil and good Smith should pose together too. What about Islandsox after her 18 mile swim?

Pass on Speedo-man. Although it always did give me a chuckle.

Pass on any photo of FlyQueen and I doing breaststroke.

poolraat
February 16th, 2007, 12:49 PM
...You don't want Rich catching you on breast, after all.

I'm not worried about the Brit. He's about 4 age groups down from me and I'll still give him a race.

The Fortress
February 16th, 2007, 12:59 PM

I agree on the Barra picture. A classic. We can put it in the Loud Flyer section of the poster calendar.

Maybe Matt can volunteer to take the photographs! Jeez, where is he today?

SwimStud
February 16th, 2007, 01:00 PM
I'm not worried about the Brit. He's about 4 age groups down from me and I'll still give him a race.

and you'll still win...

will you at least put some jammers on though.. I only ask since your profile pic looks a little "au naturelle" :banana: :banana:

poolraat
February 16th, 2007, 01:14 PM
.... I only ask since your profile pic looks a little "au naturelle" :banana: :banana:

If it bothers you, don't look. :eek:

Caped Crusader
February 16th, 2007, 02:03 PM
If it bothers you, don't look. :eek:

Well, we could also say, if it bothers you, don't read. ;)

That was SI? Pretty racey for SI.

I don't like to cook, fix old cars or play guitar. I like to run, but Gull doesn't like any references to running ... I do fix up the house a bit and paint. I even garden. I'm a great chauffeur. I like the beach.

dorianblade
February 16th, 2007, 02:58 PM
I don't like to cook, fix old cars or play guitar. I like to run, but Gull doesn't like any references to running ... I do fix up the house a bit and paint. I even garden. I'm a great chauffeur. I like the beach.

I like to cook, play guitar and run on kelly drive (philly art museum)... oh, and play tennis (new addiction)!

oh sweet kelly drive.. i miss you. http://z.about.com/d/philadelphia/1/0/7/a/kelly7.jpg

Caped Crusader
February 16th, 2007, 07:03 PM
I like to cook, play guitar and run on kelly drive (philly art museum)... oh, and play tennis (new addiction)!

oh sweet kelly drive.. i miss you. http://z.about.com/d/philadelphia/1/0/7/a/kelly7.jpg

That's a lot nicer, dorianblade. Didn't mean to be harsh. Everyone just took a lot of flack previously for fluff stuff.

Jim:

I like the Jim Croce man picture better.

Fortress:

How could we not have Speedo Man? He's a legend on this forum. Plus, it would bug Geek.

Maybe we could have a dog calendar too since everyone loves dogs?