View Full Version : Recovery Time v. Pool Time

February 15th, 2007, 09:31 PM
I'm sick. I've been sick for about a week with a stubborn cold. Most of the symptoms are gone, but I have a deep chest rattling cough that could probably shatter glass and sore throat, and occasionaly feel run down and worn out. I haven't swam all week, but now I"m feeling a little better. Should I risk a relapse and swim tomorrow morning at 5 or just wait?

p.s. I'm trying to train for Nationals.

Allen Stark
February 15th, 2007, 09:49 PM
I'm not sure,I'm facing the exact same situation. This is really a nasty virus.I think it's probably OK if you don't feel toxic. Just start reaally slow and if you start to feel chilled or toxic get out.

The Fortress
February 15th, 2007, 10:22 PM

Have you seen a doctor for that cough? When I get a bad cold, I too always seem to get that dreadful rattling cough or bronchitis. And then I can't sleep. The only thing that works for me is cough syrup with codeine. (OTC stuff doesn't work.) Then I can sleep. And, once I calm down the hacking and sleep, the cough seems to clear up pretty quickly. If you haven't been sleeping much or very little, I'm not sure I'd get up at 5:00 am, but then I'm not a morning person. Your body won't recover without rest. Can you swim later in the day? Don't worry about nationals yet. It's still 3 months away. Plenty of time to recover and swim more. Start back slow. Once better, you'll rebound quickly because you're not even 21 quite yet!! Feel better! :hug:

Peter Cruise
February 15th, 2007, 10:34 PM
And don't forget the other swimmers in your lane if you're contagious...

jim clemmons
February 15th, 2007, 10:42 PM
I'd wait a couple or few days more. You have plenty of time to train for Nat's even if you wait another whole week. I know you're probably a little frustrated. Be patient.

February 15th, 2007, 10:55 PM
I haven't been to the doctor. I know it's a cold, and I feel like I"m getting over it. It's hard to say if I"m contagious or not....the entire city of Moscow is sick right now. I've been sleeping ok, I have some NyQuild :woot:.

I think I'll wait another day rather than risk it. I am feeling better, but I can't get a read on my body when I think about swimming, so I think it'll be best to wait a bit. I can always go to the gym later if I feel up to it.

Thanks for the tips!!

February 16th, 2007, 11:56 AM
Feel better! Listen to your body and don't do too much too soon. It's better to miss a few more days than relapse and be out another week or two!