PDA

View Full Version : Le Tour de Pool

swimr4life
February 18th, 2007, 12:52 PM
I just saw the 2007 Check-off challenge on the home page. What a GREAT shirt! I've considered doing this every year and always chickened out. I'm NOT a distance swimmer and the thought of a 1650 scares me to death! I would like to challenge myself to try some new events this year. (maybe leave off the 200 Fly-bad shoulders!) I always swim the sprints and the 200 IM and free. I'd like to challenge my fellow Masters to join this challenge with me.....anybody?

m2tall2
February 18th, 2007, 05:50 PM
I think it's an awesome shirt, too. I almost want to do it just for the shirt. But I don't really have my base built back yet so I think I'll wait until next year. Then I'll broaden my training.

swimr4life
February 18th, 2007, 06:23 PM
Michelle, you can do the events in practice....they don't have to be at a meet. I'll never do a 200 Fly in a meet but, I'll consider doing it in practice...not race pace!

poolraat
February 18th, 2007, 09:43 PM
Michelle, you can do the events in practice....they don't have to be at a meet. I'll never do a 200 Fly in a meet but, I'll consider doing it in practice...not race pace!

For me just finishing one (in practice or otherwise) would be race pace.:banana:

blainesapprentice
February 19th, 2007, 01:28 PM
I already signed up:-D

aquaFeisty
February 19th, 2007, 02:11 PM
The hubby and I just signed up for it (the shirt won us over!!)

I've never ever swam a 200 fly or back, or the 1650 free (have done it breast before).

Our team has a '200 fly club' where you earn a really obnoxious tie-dyed t-shirt if you swim the 200 fly at a meet. Since I'm obviously t-shirt motivated :) I might just do the 2fly at State this year. The goal will be to finish it without resorting to butterfrog!

m2tall2
February 19th, 2007, 02:31 PM
Hmm...don't have to compete...

I could complete any of the pool events. Just have to finish, don't have to be fast or do it well!

However, it looks like you need to try to accomplish a couple open water events, too. Is this true? I thought it was a tour de pool? I just plain do not enjoy swimming open water. I might consider it if the water was warmer but waiting for warmer water around here means jellyfish, which I am terrified of (from a sting incident when I was little). I've never swam in a pond...still sounds cold, icky, can't see where you are going, bumping into people.

FlyQueen
February 19th, 2007, 03:10 PM
I did the 200 fly at state last year, it was terrible. Survival was the goal. It was ugly. I'm still on the fence as to whether or not I'll do it this year.

I'll think about signing up but doubt I'd do a 1650 at all ... in practice, a meet, or ever again ...

aquaFeisty
February 19th, 2007, 03:55 PM
I did the 200 fly at state last year, it was terrible. Survival was the goal. It was ugly. I'm still on the fence as to whether or not I'll do it this year.

I'll think about signing up but doubt I'd do a 1650 at all ... in practice, a meet, or ever again ...

There is no doubt that my 200 fly would be a survival mission... with success measured solely by: 1. Not DQ'ing and 2. No butterfrog. I'm only thinking about doing it at State because it'd be my last event on the first day.

C'mon Heather, you can do a 1650. Just do it at practice... that's where mine will be done. NO WAY am I doing a distance free event to kick off State again... I was sore the whole dang meet last year.

The Fortress
February 19th, 2007, 04:33 PM
There is no doubt that my 200 fly would be a survival mission... with success measured solely by: 1. Not DQ'ing and 2. No butterfrog. I'm only thinking about doing it at State because it'd be my last event on the first day.

C'mon Heather, you can do a 1650. Just do it at practice... that's where mine will be done. NO WAY am I doing a distance free event to kick off State again... I was sore the whole dang meet last year.

I think the idea is great, and the shirt is fabulous!

I can't do all those events at a meet since I don't go to enough meets and would want to avoid embarassing myself in certain events. 200 breast? C'mon.

Doing any sort of real 1650 free would also just lead to Le Tour de Orthopedist for me. Is any sort of cheating allowed? Can we kick the whole 1650 in practice? After all it is "freestyle" ... The 200 fly is whole 'nother thing. I guess I could dolphin dive the whole way.

Open water though? Blechy. I have to look at that entry form more carefully.

I still want a postal sprint quadrathlon ...

FlyQueen
February 19th, 2007, 04:34 PM

Couldn't agree more, Fort!

some_girl
February 19th, 2007, 08:31 PM
Couldn't agree more, Fort!

My sisters! Someday, the revolution will come, and we will be victorious. First against the wall: the 1650 and 200 breast. Then true joy will come to all humanity.

swimr4life
February 19th, 2007, 10:52 PM

That sounds GREAT! I'm in!:woot:

blainesapprentice
February 19th, 2007, 11:11 PM
I'm doing this challenge, but i think a sprint version would be awesome as well...although what would it intail?

Allen Stark
February 19th, 2007, 11:19 PM
I got my wife back into swimming last year because she wanted the T-Shirt. It's a personal challenge,if you want the T-shirt and don't want to swim the 200 Fly you don't have to(but the unchecked blank check-off square will haunt you the rest of you life:thhbbb: )

The Fortress
February 20th, 2007, 12:30 AM
I got my wife back into swimming last year because she wanted the T-Shirt. It's a personal challenge,if you want the T-shirt and don't want to swim the 200 Fly you don't have to(but the unchecked blank check-off square will haunt you the rest of you life:thhbbb: )

Who wants to wreck a great t-shirt by putting a bunch of check marks on the back? :thhbbb: I'll just tell everyone I couldn't bear to wreck the shirts since I'm a tour de france junkie. Or I'll proudly leave a couple spaces blank in protest. I'm not so easily haunted ... I'll still sleep at night. LOL. After all, I already confessed to being a big cheater in practice. And who wants to besmirch a great shirt/event by doing a 200 butterfrog? :thhbbb: Besides, I said I'd dolphin dive the 200 fly. It was that 1650 free I wanted to kick. Distance free is evil.

Yay! FAF Sistas! Beth, now that you're doing back and breast, you'll kick my butt in that sprint quadrathlon!

Allen:

Is your wife a breaststroker too? Or does she do some seemly stroke?

Morgan:

A sprint version could be a sprint quadrathlon, which is all four 50s. Or, you could also do 50s, 100s and the 100 IM. But I thought you were tired of sprints?

swimshark
February 20th, 2007, 08:01 AM
I have signed up but haven't gotten my t-shirt yet. I love the shirt this year. It's helping me challenge myself, too. I have signed up to do teh 400 IM in the next meet. Wish me luck! Ack.

Alison

poolraat
February 20th, 2007, 08:46 AM
A sprint version could be a sprint quadrathlon, which is all four 50s. Or, you could also do 50s, 100s and the 100 IM. But I thought you were tired of sprints?

Forget the 100's. I'd sign up if it was the 4 50's and 100 IM.

aquaFeisty
February 20th, 2007, 09:50 AM
I went to a meet once where you could enter like normal (whatever events you wanted) or you could enter the sprint IM challenge (50s stroke and 100IM), mid-distance IM challenge (100s stroke and 200 IM), or the ironman IM challenge (200s stroke and 400 IM... Good Lord!). I did the sprint IM... it was a blast. The winner was determined by the total time added up for all swims. This would make an AWESOME postal event, IMHO.

FYI to Heather... this sprint IM thingie was the last time I swam a 50 back. It was 99, not 98. It was also the last time I did a backstroke start. We'll see how this weekend goes. heeheeheeheee

swimshark
February 20th, 2007, 02:00 PM
Carrie, my team in Oregon does that type of meet each year (this year March 18th). We call it the Pentathlon. It is a very popular meet. The only difference is we don't offer any events outside of the 4 stroke and IM ones.

I had to learn to do a backstroke start just to compete. It was good for a laugh, I'm sure.

Alison

m2tall2
February 20th, 2007, 03:21 PM
I went to a meet once where you could enter like normal (whatever events you wanted) or you could enter the sprint IM challenge (50s stroke and 100IM), mid-distance IM challenge (100s stroke and 200 IM), or the ironman IM challenge (200s stroke and 400 IM... Good Lord!). I did the sprint IM... it was a blast. The winner was determined by the total time added up for all swims. This would make an AWESOME postal event, IMHO.

There is a meet just like this going on in Maine this weekend. They're calling it the Toughen up Challenge. However, even though they are giving the option to swim 100s and the 200 I.M., they are only including the 50s/100 I.M. and 200s/400 I.M. in the challenge.

FlyQueen
February 20th, 2007, 05:08 PM
So who wants to meet in Maine this weekend? Anyone???

blainesapprentice
February 20th, 2007, 05:12 PM
Morgan:

psht even if im tired of sprints...you can't not do them at a meet. 50s and 100s are like my recovery events...you don't need to think about them and they're just over and done with in less than a minute.

at the maryland meet in 2 weeks im doing 9events I guess in the 2 days, all 200 and under but at least I'll get diversity.

FlyQueen
February 20th, 2007, 05:17 PM
FYI to Heather... this sprint IM thingie was the last time I swam a 50 back. It was 99, not 98. It was also the last time I did a backstroke start. We'll see how this weekend goes. heeheeheeheee

I'll be sure to point and laugh ... I'm guessing your start and my start are about the same. I am so not a backstroker, with all apologies to my big sisters.

I can SDK and that's it. If there were no 15 yard/meter rule I'd have a great backstroke ...

swimmieAvsFan
February 21st, 2007, 08:38 AM
psht even if im tired of sprints...you can't not do them at a meet. 50s and 100s are like my recovery events...you don't need to think about them and they're just over and done with in less than a minute.

at the maryland meet in 2 weeks im doing 9events I guess in the 2 days, all 200 and under but at least I'll get diversity.

morgan, you're coming to the meet at UMBC??? you'll have to find muppet (look for the guy with the stick straight 'fro!) and me (black nike suit and Terps cap), we'll be there both days too.

SwimStud
February 21st, 2007, 09:29 AM
Carrie, my team in Oregon does that type of meet each year (this year March 18th). We call it the Pentathlon. It is a very popular meet. The only difference is we don't offer any events outside of the 4 stroke and IM ones.

I had to learn to do a backstroke start just to compete. It was good for a laugh, I'm sure.

Alison

Haha I'm doing 50 fly and the 100 IM in 2 meets in the next few weeks. Fly is tough but compared to back...holy cow. I feel like I need to hold a sign up before I swim these events which says:

"I'm only doing this race because I refuse to spend money on travel and only swim 1 event per day!"

Muppet
February 21st, 2007, 09:58 AM
"I'm only doing this race because I refuse to spend money on travel and only swim 1 event per day!"

Thats when it is time to branch out and try some new events...
:dedhorse:

blainesapprentice
February 21st, 2007, 02:52 PM
morgan, you're coming to the meet at UMBC??? you'll have to find muppet (look for the guy with the stick straight 'fro!) and me (black nike suit and Terps cap), we'll be there both days too.

Sweet! yeah my mom and I are coming down to Baltimore area on Friday night and I'm swimming both Saturday and Sunday. I will definatly keep an eye out for you both!

I'll probably be wearing a green and black thin strap bathing suit...if I can fit into it :laugh2:

aquaFeisty
February 21st, 2007, 03:21 PM
Michelle and Alison,

I envy you your fun IM meets! Alison, are you going to go back to Oregon just to do the meet in March?

This weekend I am swimming all 4 50's and the 100 free. I'd have done the 100 IM instead of the 100 free except:
1. I've committed to doing the 100 free at all meets this year, and
2. If I did the 100 IM, I'd be doing 5 events back-to-back. That would just be nutty.

Rich,

I am right there with you re: backstroke... So so difficult. I'm concerned about the start, the turn, the finish... the lane lines in between the start, turn and finish...

:D

Good luck with your 100 IM's!

SwimStud
February 21st, 2007, 03:37 PM
Rich,

I am right there with you re: backstroke... So so difficult. I'm concerned about the start, the turn, the finish... the lane lines in between the start, turn and finish...

Backstroke turn just imagine the one you saw onmy breast video but much slower, and with added panic and chagrin! Oh and a dash of "What the hell was I thinking?"

swimshark
February 22nd, 2007, 02:39 PM
Michelle and Alison,

I envy you your fun IM meets! Alison, are you going to go back to Oregon just to do the meet in March?

!

I would love to go back for a meet but with a 22 month old at home, it's not too practical. I will be back in Oregon for Nationals, though :)

Good luck with your meet. Enjoy those 50's. I am so not a sprinter. I think doing the 100 free at every meet is a great idea!

I have a meet on March 4th. I'm doing the 400 IM, 100 IM and 500 free. Just shoot me now!

Alison

FlyQueen
February 22nd, 2007, 03:11 PM
Michelle and Alison,

This weekend I am swimming all 4 50's and the 100 free. I'd have done the 100 IM instead of the 100 free except:
1. I've committed to doing the 100 free at all meets this year, and
2. If I did the 100 IM, I'd be doing 5 events back-to-back. That would just be nutty.

Rich,

Carrie, I really think I might have to buy you lunch if you are actually able to do all 4 50s this weekend AND then do the 100 free in under 1:30 ... I'd be puking for sure ... I can't wait to watch ... the swimming not the puking!

aquaFeisty
February 23rd, 2007, 05:35 PM
Heather,

Supposedly the meet is REALLY small... ie., they extended the mail-in entry deadline from last Monday to today to attempt to entice more people to enter. It's entirely possible that I won't even be able to swim down, but will have to huff and puff behind the blocks waiting for my next race!!! 'Tis ok... the pain will be brief! :)

I expect to see some kickass swims from you!

Alison,

My hubby and I are planning to go to Nats in Oregon next year. I've never ever been to Oregon and am really looking forward to it! Hopefully I'll meet you there and we can compare toddler stories (I have a 20 month old...)

Good luck with your (infinitely painful sounding) meet next weekend! :D

Carrie

swimshark
February 23rd, 2007, 07:35 PM
Carrie, I look forward to meeting you in Oregon and swaping toddler stories (mine turns 2 one month from today!)

Good luck at the meet. I hope you can cool down between events.

Alison

craiglll@yahoo.com
February 25th, 2007, 02:25 PM
I have several t-shirts. The ones that get the most replies from peole are the check-off challenges from the years and the Baddaginnie Monster post held in August. Both the check-off t-hirts and the Baddaginnie t-shirts are ussually excelent designs. Also, how many peole can say the participated in an event in Australia and have never gone there.

blainesapprentice
February 25th, 2007, 07:35 PM
I would love to go back for a meet but with a 22 month old at home, it's not too practical. I will be back in Oregon for Nationals, though :)

Good luck with your meet. Enjoy those 50's. I am so not a sprinter. I think doing the 100 free at every meet is a great idea!

I have a meet on March 4th. I'm doing the 400 IM, 100 IM and 500 free. Just shoot me now!

Alison

Are you going to the one in Maryland?

swimr4life
March 11th, 2007, 03:33 PM
I'm eagerly awaiting the delivery of my shirt! I sent off for it around the middle of February and haven't received it yet. Has anyone else received theirs?...just curious.:dunno:

swimshark
March 11th, 2007, 03:47 PM
Are you going to the one in Maryland?

No. Not this year, maybe next. I decided to go to one a bit closer to home (30 min vs 90 min). How did you do? did you get to meet Muppet and Mollie?

Alison

swimr4life
March 11th, 2007, 09:03 PM
BUMP! :)
Has anyone received their "Tour de Pool" shirts yet?

blainesapprentice
March 12th, 2007, 07:37 AM
Yes I did meet both muppet and mollie. Muppet's self-description (straight afro) was very helpful in picking him out. Mollie and myself swam a lot of the same events, and were in the same heat for the 100im:-). As for how I did...Saturday was okay, my times were kinda off and I was thinking...darn...so much for showing up my coach...but I hadn't gotten much sleep and that morning we had learned about a death of a close family friend so I guess it must have been those combined factors because Sunday I did my best times of the season--several years. So I was very happy.

swimshark
March 12th, 2007, 08:14 AM
Morgan, good for you for doing some of your best times. Sorry to hear about the death of a friend.

Will you be heading down here for Zones? By the way, I grew up in Scotia.

Alison

PS No, I haven't gotten my TDP shirt yet, either. I sent in for it late in mid-Feb so I expect it soon.

blainesapprentice
March 13th, 2007, 08:28 PM
Thanks.

Unfortunatly I signed up for some silly teaching certification test months ago, and it falls on the 14th...so I can not go...although I have not heard from the test which I was told I would, so I will check on that tomorrow, and if I am actually not signed up...maybe just maybe I will be (that is if it isn't too late to sign up?)

Cool, I am from Pine Bush--which is down an hour and a half south of the capital region, but I have my own apartment here in Albany year round for school and such.

Muppet
March 13th, 2007, 10:18 PM
BUMP! :)
Has anyone received their "Tour de Pool" shirts yet?

Beth, I haven't signed up for it, but I have seen it modeled on a fellow poster in the Chicago area. To protect the innocent, she modeled it quite nicely!
:wiggle:
It is a pretty cool-looking shirt and having seen it definetely made me want to sign up just to get the shirt!

swimshark
March 19th, 2007, 02:37 PM
I got my shirt today!! I promtly checked off all 6 events I have competed in so far this year, 50 and 200 breast, 500 free, 100, 200 and 400 IM. I am looking forward to checking off more :)

Alison

blainesapprentice
March 19th, 2007, 03:19 PM
Wah. I want my shirt:-D I ordered mine a month or so ago...hopefully it comes soon:-D

aquaFeisty
March 20th, 2007, 02:51 PM
Our shirts just showed up in the mail today!!! They are very cool!

What kind of marker are folks using for the 'check-offs'? I was going to use a Sharpie. Good idea?

Oh and I like how they divided up the events into Sprint Stages, Time Trials, and Mountain Stages (2fly, 4IM, and 1000 and mile). Right now my Mountain Stages has no checks!!!

FlyQueen
March 20th, 2007, 03:21 PM
Do them all at state Carrie ... :rofl: :rofl:

I'd buy you a beer after on Saturday if you do it ...

blainesapprentice
March 21st, 2007, 01:17 PM
I got my shirt today:-D...and what did it teach me? I have a ton of swimming to get going on!