PDA

View Full Version : My 50 BR video --Working Link

SwimStud
February 18th, 2007, 11:19 PM
Ok you can all view my video and laugh at my expense, or leave constructive feedback. Enjoy.

Rich

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sy7dPRps2U

PS enjoy my daughter's camerawork post race analysis!

ensignada
February 18th, 2007, 11:27 PM
Ok you can all view my video and laugh at my expense, or leave constructive feedback. Enjoy.

Rich

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sy7dPRps2U

PS enjoy my daughter's post race analysis!

I can't comment on your stroke, but your daughter is adorable.

Muppet
February 18th, 2007, 11:28 PM
outstanding!!:dedhorse:

m2tall2
February 19th, 2007, 07:47 AM
The link brings me to a page saying the requested video is not available.

poolraat
February 19th, 2007, 08:49 AM
The link brings me to a page saying the requested video is not available.

This is what I get, too.

SwimStud
February 19th, 2007, 09:53 AM
for some reason I have to keep going in and hitting update to get it to stick. Try again.
I've sent a note for help to you tube. You're not missing much LOL

knelson
February 19th, 2007, 12:25 PM
One thing I noticed is you are way too shallow on your streamline. Don't be afraid to get down about three feet below the surface. You can start angling yourself up toward the surface when you take your kick.

m2tall2
February 19th, 2007, 12:35 PM
Arg! I must have waited too long. It's gone again. I'll just have to wait and see it in person in a few weeks.

The Fortress
February 19th, 2007, 01:45 PM
One thing I noticed is you are way too shallow on your streamline. Don't be afraid to get down about three feet below the surface. You can start angling yourself up toward the surface when you take your kick.

Jeez, I finally saw it. 35 is a pretty good time for what looked like a crappy pool. I agree with Kirk, you could go much deeper on the start and turn. Deeper water is faster. I think maybe the head could be tipped down a bit further? But what do I know?

What a cute kid! At what age exactly do they stop wearing pink goggles? I hope Allen and the other breaststrokers can access it to give you some good tips!

:applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

poolraat
February 19th, 2007, 01:56 PM
Hey Rich. That's a good swim. Way to go!
Since I'm not a breaststroker, I don't have any comments or advice to offer.

:banana: :banana: :banana:

....At what age exactly do they stop wearing pink goggles?...

Do they ever? My 16 yo has pink Vanquishers.

Seagurl51
February 19th, 2007, 01:59 PM
Adorable daughter!

From what I could see you were looking forward when you were breathing. You want to be always looking down at the line. Have you head at about a 45 degree angle. I remember reading a book that talked about Kurt Grote and how when he was on form he looked like "a master jewler hunched over his work."

Also try to get your body a little higher out of the water. Like...mid-bicep to elbowish region. You don't want to go too high because that will slow you down, but the higher you go the more push you can when you throw your body and hands forward.

Definately go deeper then you won't run into your wake. My coach was just getting on me to do this too. She said about a foot and half was the ideal depth and that's where you start to hit fresh water. 3 feet to me seems a little deep. I end up popping up when I start that deep rather than surfacing and going...if that makes sense.

GOOD LUCK!!! :woot:

p.s. Wanna race? ;)

aquaFeisty
February 19th, 2007, 02:04 PM
We should all be so lucky to have someone providing such positive post-race analysis after all our swims! Too cute! :D

Looks like maybe you're bobbing your head up and down a bit... like nodding while swimming. Head and eyes should stay down... more like in a straight line with your spine. Why waste energy nodding the head around? Hard to tell, but maybe your feet/knees are coming a little wide? This is one of my chronic problems. The kick feels more powerful when it's nice and wide but in reality you're just generating more drag. Would be interested to see what some speedy breaststrokers say.

That said, wish I could break 36 for a 50!!!!!!:applaud:

quicksilver
February 19th, 2007, 02:14 PM
Nice job.

Before having read the other comments...I would have said the same thing about your turn. Your breakout was sooner than it could have been. When you push off the wall...really streamline and hold it. Your ears should be literally squeezed by your biceps. (Kirk and Fort are right about the depth. Ideally 18" below the surface will get you in the zone to prevent the effects of water drag. Any push offs near the waterline will put the brakes on quickly.)

Once the initial burst of speed is fading...go for a big strong pull out...and one downward dolphin kick as both of your hands are pushing past the waistline. I teach the kids to do the kick and the hand motion at the same time.

My daughter is a breastroker (uhhgg)...but she kicks butt. Right now she's about 38 for the 50...which is pretty good for an 11 year old. Her times dropped after she mastered the pull out.

Yours will too.

m2tall2
February 19th, 2007, 02:17 PM
Finally saw it. It was hard to see much with the shakiness.

I agree with the others, your pullout could go a little deeper. It could also be a little more even. You didn't wait until you rotated horizontal before starting your pull.

Hard to see for sure because of the shaking, but if I'm not mistaken, I see a head bob. You end up looking forward too much when you gasp for air. Imagine yourself in a neck brace.

Another thing that's hard to see for sure with the shaking - make sure your butt isn't sinking. It seems like you're keeping your feet up but make sure you don't drop your knees too much, which by itself creates drag but also makes your butt sink, putting you out of near streamline, making yet more drag.

I also saw no glide. You don't want to glide too much in a 50 but you want just enough to get your body into a good position for your next stroke and take advantage of momentum. Watch the guy in the lane to the right of yours in the video, just a touch of glide. However, he's doing more of a wave style. Yours is much flatter, which is fine, but even flat styles need a bit of glide.

But these are details. A 35 is pretty darn good.

Keep it up!

SwimStud
February 19th, 2007, 02:42 PM
Finally saw it. It was hard to see much with the shakiness.

Hey don't criticise my little Frank Capra!! LOL I can't post the 100 and 200 for her swhizzing the camera around. Well I could post it for cute factor I guess. It's like watching a 70's music show on TV.

I saw the head bob (acceptable at eh end of a 200 not in a 50) and yeah my breakout was way too soon. I shortened the breakouts for that race...trying to keep maximum speed off of the dive...it worked to a point but then left me with extra strokes to make. Perhaps I hurried everything up too much. I think my normal breakout that I do on the 100 and 200 is probably fine and I should focus on making the breakouts longer for those longer races.

It's good to see yourself on tape regardless. Interesting points about the knees will have to look at that...I definitely was not trying to wave in that race. I was told 50 should be flatter, mine was almost old school breaststroke. The guy on the right has a good technique though--so that flies in the face of that theory! Maybe with the right break out I'd have gone faster. With so much wrong it's amazing I did a faster time but at least it means I can fix a few things and go faster :D

In addition, Kyra, I tend to not get up much in the water...which leads to head bobbing to breathe. I think I wil have to do some work on the insweep part. If I get out of the water a little further I'll have room to breathe. Well hopefully I'll be nodding less for NEM and then Zones.

FlyQueen
February 19th, 2007, 03:07 PM
Due to my supreme mastery of this stroke I feel inclined to comment ... ;)

In all seriousness ... as many have pointed out your head position looks off. You should be looking down right in front of you and not moving your head at all above water. You can move your haed just a bit when it enters the water to help you get your undulation.

You can definitely go deeper on the start and turn. Your pull looked a bit wide, too. If you narrow it in a bit you should be able to get higher in the water. Make sure you try and get your recovery up and think about getting over the wave.

I wish I could get anywhere near your 36 for my 50 breast ... very nice! A good set for you that someone here posted once would be:
5 (or 10) x 100 25 breast focusing on one area of technique (like your head position) then 75 free. Repeat three more times with a different technique focus and on the last one do the 25 race pace. Do them on an interval that gives you plenty of rest - like 2:30.

GOOD LUCK and thanks for sharing!

Oh, and your daughter is adorable.

islandsox
February 19th, 2007, 03:27 PM
Wow, I think the swim looked pretty terrific except your pull stroke seemed wide and you don't streamline enough nor long enough. But hey, you just recently got back to swimming. I say, Good Job!!! Videos are superb in being able to critique ourselves, wish I had access to one.

I must say my heart sank a bit when I saw the pool; I was always a pool competitor and I miss it so very much; I miss the chlorine smell, the lane lines, everything about it.

What kind of swimsuit were you wearing? It sure looked like bermuda shorts from my perspective!!!

Donna

SwimStud
February 19th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Wow, I think the swim looked pretty terrific except your pull stroke seemed wide and you don't streamline enough nor long enough. But hey, you just recently got back to swimming. I say, Good Job!!! Videos are superb in being able to critique ourselves, wish I had access to one.

I must say my heart sank a bit when I saw the pool; I was always a pool competitor and I miss it so very much; I miss the chlorine smell, the lane lines, everything about it.

What kind of swimsuit were you wearing? It sure looked like bermuda shorts from my perspective!!!

Donna

Donna I love how you always make me feel good about my swimming. I was disappointed to see myself and how much head movement etc. At least it's a ref point to work from though.

They were Speedo jammers btw :) I know you were expecting to see Great Britain across the butt...I just couldn't find those.

FlyQueen
February 19th, 2007, 03:37 PM
I should have my posting privileges revoked ... I apologize that Rich swam a 35, not a 36 ... I apologize for my error and will now go sit and the corner and think about it for the next hour ...

SwimStud
February 19th, 2007, 03:41 PM
I should have my posting privileges revoked ... I apologize that Rich swam a 35, not a 36 ... I apologize for my error and will now go sit and the corner and think about it for the next hour ...

LOL I just wasn't sure..thought maybe it was some sort of Fly Breast vendetta thing.... ;)

Seriously thanks for all the tips.

Hooper
February 19th, 2007, 03:43 PM
Nice swim! I certainly helps to see video of yourself. First time I saw myself swimming fly on video, I almost quit swimming.

I swim a different style of breaststroke, more like the guy on the right. I would suggest spending a little more time in streamline. You should be in the optimum streamline position when the kick is fired to maximize your propulsion. There should be a point in your stroke where you are completely streamlined, at the end of the kick, even if it's only for a brief second. There's some good videos of Hansen, Kitajima and Oleg Lisogor on YouTube, check them out.

The Fortress
February 19th, 2007, 04:20 PM
My daughter is a breastroker (uhhgg)...but she kicks butt. Right now she's about 38 for the 50...which is pretty good for an 11 year old. Her times dropped after she mastered the pull out.
Yours will too.

Wow, I got one of those too. Why do backstrokers have breaststroke kids? So odd.

Poolraat:

My 12 year old daughter wouldn't be caught dead in pink goggles. She does have a friend with a pink fastskin though ... That seems weird. Very glow in the pool ...

Rich:

If you went a 35 at a Y pool, you'll be real happy at Zones, especially when you put on a cap and we can make fun of you. After all, I've gone a 33 in the 50 breast there.

I'm sorry, I should have my posting privileges revoked for that lie. I can't believe FlyQueen's going off quietly. That'll be a first for my baby sister the loud flyer. :rofl:

Allen Stark
February 19th, 2007, 04:22 PM
Finally saw it. Good job BUT ... First I agree with what everyone is saying about your head,but more so. It looked to me that your head was tipped up in streamline position on the stroke. That will really slow you down. You also need to REALLY streamline your shoulders as you kick.You are really losing time there. Same as what the others say but more so on the pullout. Even in a 50 you should get at least 30 ft. underwater. Pull and kick look strong. With a little work on streamlining you can go 32.

FlyQueen
February 19th, 2007, 04:25 PM
Alan, you mean a 33 ... Rich likes to inflate his times by a second ...

FlyQueen
February 19th, 2007, 04:26 PM
I'm sorry, I should have my posting privileges revoked for that lie. I can't believe FlyQueen's going off quietly. That'll be a first for my baby sister the loud flyer. :rofl:

Me go off quietly ... right ... :rofl:

SwimStud
February 19th, 2007, 04:27 PM
It looked to me that your head was tipped up in streamline position on the stroke.
That will really slow you down. You also need to REALLY streamline your shoulders as you kick.You are really losing time there. Same as what the others say but more so on the pullout. Even in a 50 you should get at least 30 ft. underwater. Pull and kick look strong. With a little work on streamlining you can go 32.

It's funny you mention the tipping up Allen I noticed that today in training. I was looking forward on pullout too..but that's more b/c I had a thrasher in the lane with me, and I wanted to spot them before I set off down the lane.
I got out of that tilt up habit and then got back into it I guess. Maybe I should focus on the quality and have longer intervals to get rested and do each 100 or 50 correctly.

Peter Cruise
February 19th, 2007, 04:30 PM
I agree with everything said so far, including 'good swim'; what I can add is that you need to have a more efficient turn itself. Rather than me try to explain it, watch some turn videos of breast or fly & sort out the sequence, 'cause time spent on the wall is dead time. Equally, if you sort out your sequence it will help set up your depth & pullout issues.

SwimStud
February 19th, 2007, 04:31 PM
Alan, you mean a 33 ... Rich likes to inflate his times by a second ...

:dedhorse: :dedhorse: :dedhorse:

Watch it you...I'm going back tonight for some work on pull outs and a few 25's of Fly.

FlyQueen
February 19th, 2007, 04:32 PM
:dedhorse: :dedhorse: :dedhorse:

Watch it you...I'm going back tonight for some work on pull outs and a few 25's of Fly.

A whole 25, huh? Scary! ;)

In all seriousness, make sure you are getting the dolphin kick in, when used right it should give you a few extra yards, too. I expect a 32 or 33 at Zones ...

The Fortress
February 19th, 2007, 04:40 PM
Me go off quietly ... right ... :rofl:

Exactly!

Why go off quietly when we could just hijack the whole thread and talk about fly ...

Rich:

Cruise is right. You've got to whip around on that turn a lot faster. The best breaststrokers turn in a blur. And a little more dolphin kick please. That's the only part of a 50 breast that is remotely bearable. Plus, free speed underwater.

SwimStud
February 19th, 2007, 04:41 PM
I agree with everything said so far, including 'good swim'; what I can add is that you need to have a more efficient turn itself. Rather than me try to explain it, watch some turn videos of breast or fly & sort out the sequence, 'cause time spent on the wall is dead time. Equally, if you sort out your sequence it will help set up your depth & pullout issues.

Thanks Peter. It's the techincal stuff that I lack coaching in and things. I'll work on what I can and see what I can do at NEM and zones. I think that would probably add up to a few valuable seconds on a 200 ..and take me well below 3:00.I did notice my hand did not go behind my head on the turn.
I am boosted by the points to work on (provided I can fix them) because it should mean better times.I'm getting some coaches books hope it will help me out with this stuff. I feel I've done a lot in short while and hope I can take all these tips and turn it into a better swims.

Allen
Since I knowingly broke out early on this race...do you agree that my typical pullout for a 200 or 100 is going to be what I should use for the 50? It's usually just shy of half the pool length circa 10 yards. I'll take a timed swim tonight on the 50. I'll go for the longer pullout and swim hard and see what I get.
If I work longer pullout for the 100 and 200? That should improve those times too, right? What is the distance you look for there Allen.

poolraat
February 19th, 2007, 04:50 PM
Exactly!....Why go off quietly when we could just hijack the whole thread and talk about fly ...

Let's!
I got to see video of my fly (and back and breast) yesterday. It's an eye opener.

FlyQueen
February 19th, 2007, 04:53 PM
Did someone say fly? Glad this thread is taking a turn for the better finally ...

On fly turns, and even on turns for the other short axis stroke, they need to be crazy fast. Make sure you do NOT pull up on the wall! I can't believe I'm giving the Brit advice still ...

knelson
February 19th, 2007, 05:05 PM
what I can add is that you need to have a more efficient turn itself.

After reading this I was thinking to myself that "turn" is really a bad name for it. It should actually be thought of as a "change of direction" or "reversal of direction," but those phrases are a bit cumbersome :)

Anyone follow me here? My thinking is turn sort of implies lateral motion and there should really be almost no lateral motion on a well-executed turn.

poolraat
February 19th, 2007, 05:06 PM
.....and even on turns for the other short axis stroke, they need to be crazy fast. Make sure you do NOT pull up on the wall! I can't believe I'm giving the Brit advice still ...

One thing I did notice on your turn...after the touch on the wall you shifted your right hand up and grabbed the ledge as part of your turn. That cost you time also. This video is a good example of how the turn should be done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u58OcRTCroc

aquaFeisty
February 19th, 2007, 05:44 PM
After reading this I was thinking to myself that "turn" is really a bad name for it. It should actually be thought of as a "change of direction" or "reversal of direction," but those phrases are a bit cumbersome :)

Anyone follow me here? My thinking is turn sort of implies lateral motion and there should really be almost no lateral motion on a well-executed turn.

Rebound, maybe?

Allen Stark
February 19th, 2007, 06:18 PM
On the pullout,30 ft. at least on the 50,35 on the 100,as long as your lungs will last on the 200. I do it by feel but I think Wayne says its push-off, one,two,pull,one,kick. On the turn: 1)don't grab the wall,push off it with your hand,2) get in a much smaller ball to turn around faster.Practice getting in as small a ball as you can as fast as you can. On a 50 I'll start pulling my legs up to get into a ball before my hands hit the wall.And yes I think Rich can do a 32(32.99 is a 32):groovy:

swim4me
February 19th, 2007, 07:24 PM
I like your video and your daughter!!! Your glide should be a little longer on each stroke and you should be going much further underwater on your pullout. It does not look like your head goes under water enough on your strokes and it looks like the ones that were closer to the wall were not complete strokes - looked like you were cutting them short to make them fast. I really admire how well you are doing and definitely your time and to think you don't have a coach!:woot: :woot:

jonblank
February 19th, 2007, 08:39 PM
A few comments, most of which echo other posts:

1. WAAY too short on your underwater pullouts, both on the start and at the turn. Consider learning the "one-hole" entry from the blocks, which provides better streamlining off the start and gives better leg propulsion on water entry.

Be very careful on your arm recovery on the pullout - keep your hands and elbows close to your body on the recovery.

A dolphin kick is now legal on the pullout recovery, but you are a wimp if you succumb to this godforsaken Kitajima-apologist component - it's breaststroke not butterfly. :frustrated:

2. (George Park - where are you?) It appears that you are "swimming uphil", such that your legs and chest present a large drag area, whic slows you down.

3. You are starting your pull before you've finished your kick (probably to speed your turnover). While others may debate that this is acceptable (look at Mark Warneke's 50 breaststroke style, for example - he uses this technique to good advantage - he was world 50 champion at age 35 years, and I don't mean that he was the 35 - 39 age group champion - he was WORLD CHAMPION). Having said that, it seems to me that if you were to streamline your arm recovery you might be faster, even if your turnover was slightly slower. :blah:

4. TURN technique: :bow: Buy Dave Denniston's breaststroke turns and pullouts video. :bow: You can buy it from Glenn Mills (1980 US 200 breaststroke Olympian) at http://www.goswim.tv. Dave offers a six-step technique that is far and away the sleekest and fastest open turn I've ever seen. Watch the video. Commit the six steps to memory. Practice them every time you do an open turn in practice, warmup, or event.

And don't forget to thank Dave when you swim faster - you will swim faster if you learn to turn even remotely like Davo. And please, everyone, donate money to help him walk again at http://www.davedenniston.com

quicksilver
February 19th, 2007, 08:39 PM
I think ...if you tighten up the turn...and get the left shoulder down and a bit deeper underwater before pushing off...you'll pick up a few fractions of a second.

Drop the left arm and shoulder immediately to set yourself up for a deep push off.

The Fortress
February 19th, 2007, 10:08 PM
4. TURN technique: :bow: Buy Dave Denniston's breaststroke turns and pullouts video. :bow: You can buy it from Glenn Mills (1980 US 200 breaststroke Olympian) at http://www.goswim.tv. Dave offers a six-step technique that is far and away the sleekest and fastest open turn I've ever seen. Watch the video. Commit the six steps to memory. Practice them every time you do an open turn in practice, warmup, or event.

And don't forget to thank Dave when you swim faster - you will swim faster if you learn to turn even remotely like Davo. And please, everyone, donate money to help him walk again at http://www.davedenniston.com

I own this video. (I guess someone in the family besides my daughter should watch it.) I told SwimStud via PM to buy it.

I can't believe that happened to Dave. That's so sad. It's been snowing a lot where I live and a couple kids have died in sledding accidents. This is why I'm a freakin' nazi about where my kids go sledding. I'm totally paranoid. That's a very heart-warming website. I hope he will be OK eventually.

ande
February 19th, 2007, 10:57 PM
it's hard to see much from that angle
a side angle might be more helpful

you need a faster arm recovery
get your upper body our of the water
get your hands and forearms out of the water or close to the surface
as you bring them foreward
get streamlined then take your next stroke

swim your 50 breast like these guys

brendan hansen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfIJm-8Ikhc

oleg lisodor
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZzzvIrzC9M

knelson
February 19th, 2007, 11:31 PM
oleg lisodor

It looks like Lisodor is bobbing his head quite a bit. It just goes to show you even the greats have elements of their strokes that could be improved upon.

SwimStud
February 20th, 2007, 09:10 AM
It looks like Lisodor is bobbing his head quite a bit. It just goes to show you even the greats have elements of their strokes that could be improved upon.

I'm serious when I say I watched that exact clip to work on my 50 race--he had a pretty flat stroke. My focus was on nearly continuous arm movement. So maybe I can work in a bit of head control and get some glide too.

My big problem right now is getting up on the recovery...which means I have trouble breathing with my head locked straight. Which throws off my streamline yadda yada yadda.

Anyone got any drills for getting up on the recovery?

LindsayNB
February 20th, 2007, 09:30 AM
Was it my imagination or were there two dolphin kicks happening after the dive in the Oleg Lisogor video?

SwimStud
February 20th, 2007, 09:46 AM
Was it my imagination or were there two dolphin kicks happening after the dive in the Oleg Lisogor video?

I thought you meant on mine...I was going to ask how you saw that! LOL

newmastersswimmer
February 20th, 2007, 10:04 AM
I have to say Rich that I am amazed that you were able to swim a 35 with that start and turn. The good news is that you can drop seconds off of your 50 time by doing nothing more than improving your start and turn! (IMO only perhaps?) I can't swim breaststroke worth a lick....but the one thing I can do "fairly decently" is a decent underwater pullout on the start and turn. I know you said you deliberately shortened your underwater pullout for that race....but IMO (which probably aint worth much I admit) ...I think you should try for about 12 - 14 yards underwater off the start and then another 10-12 yards underwater off the turn (even for a 50)....you can also throw a little dolphin kick in there before the breaststroke kick on the pullout as well. Do you spend a lot of time working on underwater pullouts by chance? ...underwater streamlining and such? I will be interested to see how much time you can drop after you fix the start and turn thing....you might be really suprised. Good Luck Rich.

Cheerio Richie Boy,

Newmastersswimmer

BTW For some reason I only read the first page of this thread and thought I had read all of the postings here before I posted my comments.....Now when I go back and read pages 2 and 3 of the thread I can see that my observations have already been addressed by other swimmers with far far more expertise than me....sorry about that Richie old chap!

SwimStud
February 20th, 2007, 10:19 AM
Newmastersswimmer

BTW For some reason I only read the first page of this thread and thought I had read all of the postings here before I posted my comments.....Now when I go back and read pages 2 and 3 of the thread I can see that my observations have already been addressed by other swimmers with far far more expertise than me....sorry about that Richie old chap!

Jim I will happily read everyone's version of the same advice.
Besides page 2 is mostly Heather flexing her ego muscles by hijacking and disrupting another of my threads and mocking my times...
I'm going to make her cry when I post a faster 50 fly than her... :D ;)

Allen Stark
February 20th, 2007, 06:55 PM
Another good breaststroke hand drill is underwater breaststroke pull with dolphin kick. Dead spots really show up. Full stroke underwater is also good.

SwimStud
February 20th, 2007, 07:50 PM
Another good breaststroke hand drill is underwater breaststroke pull with dolphin kick. Dead spots really show up. Full stroke underwater is also good.

I do 4x25 under water for breathing control. Hoping to get that longer pullout.
Maybe I'll add dolphin kick breast arms. My SDK isn't always good.

FlyQueen
February 20th, 2007, 11:49 PM
Jim I will happily read everyone's version of the same advice.
Besides page 2 is mostly Heather flexing her ego muscles by hijacking and disrupting another of my threads and mocking my times...
I'm going to make her cry when I post a faster 50 fly than her... :D ;)

Oh it's on ... you don't know who you are messing with ...

SwimStud
February 20th, 2007, 11:50 PM
Oh it's on ... you don't know who you are messing with ...

...you either...I'm pretty tenacious ya know. Can't swim with grace but I can muscle-hustle...

..but first I have to study how not to make an illegal start in fly... lol

FlyQueen
February 20th, 2007, 11:50 PM
it's hard to see much from that angle
a side angle might be more helpful

you need a faster arm recovery
get your upper body our of the water
get your hands and forearms out of the water or close to the surface
as you bring them foreward
get streamlined then take your next stroke

swim your 50 breast like these guys

brendan hansen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfIJm-8Ikhc

oleg lisodor

Oh, that's how you are supposed to swim breaststroke ... ;) I think my kick is the worst part, followed closely by my pull ... :dunno:

Kidding! Great vids Ande. Good luck this week/weekend!