PDA

View Full Version : Ocean swimming

dorianblade
February 19th, 2007, 12:50 PM
I cannot wait for summer and my first open water experience. As i was thinking about Islandsox and ocean swimming i was wondering how does one swim in the ocean? As an indoor pool swimmer i swim with an open mouth (under water). Does it work the same way in open/ocean swimming? what happens if you swallow the water? do you breath differently?

islandsox
February 19th, 2007, 03:52 PM
Hi there Dorianblade,

the only difference I feel with ocean vs pool is the water movement in the ocean, both underwater (current) and on top (waves). Also, because there is no line to follow underwater, many people swim crooked. But swimming in the ocean makes me more "aware" of how I "feel." With time and experience, an ocean swimmer can actually offset these two things. It becomes a more natural thing when a wave is coming from the right, to pull a little harder with the left arm stroke. These things come about with ocean time.

Navigation is a consideration: look for buoys, anchored boats, coconut trees, anything stationary along the way. If there is not much turbulence, breathing is the same as in a pool; if there is turbulence, a swimmer may have to roll or rotate a little more to make sure that you don't breathe when a wave breaks. Also swimming in saltwater is a natural buoyant factor; easy to stay on top of the water and not tire as easily. I seem to have to work harder when swimming in chlorine so I guess salt water has made me a little lazy!!!

There are times, like right now, when the seas are angry and I am swimming. I have been swimming in 10 foot seas this week and get thrown around all over the place and many times when I try to take a breath, I look up and skip that breathe entirely because the wave is breaking at that very moment. Ocean swimming sure makes one very aware of everything from the environment that you are in, as well as your own swimming.

But I will tell you this, I love swimming in rough seas; it makes me so much stronger and efficient, so when the ocean is calm and flat as glass, my strength is very apparent; it feels like I am flying across the water.

I absolutely LOVE ocean swimming and never did any of it until I moved here 6 years ago; I wouldn't trade it for anything; lots to see, get to work with tide and currents, get a tan at the same time!!!

Donna

blainesapprentice
February 19th, 2007, 11:15 PM
I'm hoping to do some ocean swims this summer...I think I can do well, but I don't have very much open water experience, because when I am at the beach with my family, I try not to anger too many lifeguards by swimming out too deep...I think with support boats and a group of people swimming I will be more confident.

I'm gonna try and swim with the adirondack group that swims in lake minnawaska over the summer to get at least some non pool experience.

Muppet
February 19th, 2007, 11:21 PM
I'm hoping to do some ocean swims this summer...I think I can do well, but I don't have very much open water experience, because when I am at the beach with my family, I try not to anger too many lifeguards by swimming out too deep...I think with support boats and a group of people swimming I will be more confident.

I'm gonna try and swim with the adirondack group that swims in lake minnawaska over the summer to get at least some non pool experience.

Morgan, I think you are really going to like it! I don't get out into the open water that often - mostly to compete in something - but I thoroughly enjoy the challenge! It is a completely different-than-the-pool experience and something I find really encourages my love for the sport.

Leonard Jansen
February 20th, 2007, 09:05 AM
Don't over-think it. Set a relatively modest training goal such as "I'm going to swim easily for 5 minutes and cope with whatever happens" (waves, etc.) and then stop and examine what you've learned. Do that several times and I'm sure that you will start to feel relaxed out there.

As to keeping your mouth open, I'd suggest you close it. Swallowing too much salt water can give you an upset stomach. I have also read that keeping your mouth open in the pool is bad because the chlorine can actually wear on your tooth enamel.

Your mileage may vary.

-LBJ