PDA

View Full Version : Not Related to Swimming by any stretch of the imagination, and open to hijacking

Pages : [1] 2

Seagurl51
February 25th, 2007, 08:26 PM
Any guesses for the Academy Awards tonight? I printed off my ballot and I'm ready to go. I'm probably a bigger geek than Jim when it comes to movies...;)

By the same tangent, In honor of my probably extreme love of movies, I'm working on list of every movie I"ve ever seen to see if I can get to 1,000. Right now I'm stuck at 812, so anybody that can suggest movies would be awesome. I've seen (and listed) pretty much all major movies from the last 10 years and a fair number from the early 70's (odd I know), but I'm open to all suggestions.

Oh and....Lucky Charms and popcorn....

SwimStud
February 25th, 2007, 08:29 PM
Any guesses for the Academy Awards tonight? I printed off my ballot and I'm ready to go. I'm probably a bigger geek than Jim when it comes to movies...;)

Mirren Best Actrees
O'Toole Best Actor
Scorcese Best Director

Kyra...don't rent any of the movies Jim suggests...

Seagurl51
February 25th, 2007, 08:32 PM
Mirren Best Actrees
O'Toole Best Actor
Scorcese Best Director

Kyra...don't rent any of the movies Jim suggests...

hahaha!

I don't about O'Toole. I'm thinking Forrest Whitaker. He won the Golden Globe, and I've heard really good things about his performance. I'm so behind on my movies I haven't seen most of the nominees, so I'm basing on sheer reputation though. Plus O'Toole go the the honorary Oscar a few years ago. I agree with you otherwise though...

FlyQueen
February 25th, 2007, 08:34 PM
Forrest for actor ...

The Fortress
February 25th, 2007, 08:34 PM
I'm just looking at the frocks.

FlyQueen
February 25th, 2007, 08:36 PM
I'm also just watching for George, Leo, and other hunkalicious men ... and the women's dresses ...

Seagurl51
February 25th, 2007, 08:37 PM
I'm just looking at the frocks.

Oh yea!! Most definatley. Make sure you guys all check out my dress when I go in a few years. I'll be the one dripping with Harry Winston, looking totally slamming, with Ryan Reynolds and/or Michael Phelps hanging on my arm.

Agreed Heather, there's nothing hotter than a guy in a tux....and Leo's grown up quite nicely since Titanic...and learned how to act :eek: Did you see Blood Diamond or The Departed?

poolraat
February 25th, 2007, 08:39 PM
I may read about it tomorrow, or not.

BTW Rich, I agree about O'Toole. He's one of the greats.

Caped Crusader
February 25th, 2007, 08:49 PM
hunkalicious men?

I liked Little Miss Sunshine. Dysfunctional family, just like our discussion forum family.

The Fortress
February 25th, 2007, 08:51 PM
I liked Little Miss Sunshine. Dysfunctional family, just like our discussion forum family.

I assume you were just poking fun at FlyQueen with your quote?

I will certainly be watching the hunkalicious men too.

I liked The Departed. Mark Wahlberg was great, so were the others.

SwimStud
February 25th, 2007, 08:55 PM
Leo, and other hunkalicious men

LMAO

Sorry. you said Leo, and hunkalicious and man...sorry... too funny...

PS if he could have swam he'd have gotten to the end of the movie and married Kate Winslett

The Fortress
February 25th, 2007, 09:01 PM
Who do you think has the fastest 100 fly? George, Leo, or Matt? I'm assuming not O'Toole?

Have they all eaten dinner? Hijack! :rofl:

I didn't like Cameron's frock. Didn't like Nicole's either. I hate Kate Winslet's dress -- gross color. Seafoam greeen? Blech.

Daniel Craig: flat out hunkalicious!

newmastersswimmer
February 25th, 2007, 09:51 PM
I like Ed Norton in the Illusionist.....I don't know if he (or the movie) actually got any nominations though.....And I agree with poolrat that Little Miss Sunshine was hilarious! Now I need to go find a tux so I can impress flyqueen at nationals somewhere down the road....LOL!!

Newmastersswimmer

SwimStud
February 25th, 2007, 10:29 PM
I like Ed Norton in the Illusionist.....I don't know if he (or the movie) actually got any nominations though.....And I agree with poolrat that Little Miss Sunshine was hilarious! Now I need to go find a tux so I can impress flyqueen at nationals somewhere down the road....LOL!!

Newmastersswimmer

Leave the Dinner Suit at home...I put one on and start talking all I get is people remarking on James Bond because of the accent.
Oh, never wear abow tie unless you tied it yourself...

poolraat
February 25th, 2007, 10:36 PM
Now I need to go find a tux so I can impress flyqueen at nationals somewhere down the road....LOL!!

Newmastersswimmer

This is the only tux I own.

blainesapprentice
February 25th, 2007, 10:38 PM
Just my 2cents....Will Smith produces some good looking kids.

FlyQueen
February 25th, 2007, 10:41 PM
Who do you think has the fastest 100 fly? George, Leo, or Matt? I'm assuming not O'Toole?

Have they all eaten dinner? Hijack! :rofl:

I didn't like Cameron's frock. Didn't like Nicole's either. I hate Kate Winslet's dress -- gross color. Seafoam greeen? Blech.

Daniel Craig: flat out hunkalicious!

I don't like any of the dresses ... blech! Or at least very few of them. Kate's is okay, but the color is horrid ...

newmastersswimmer
February 25th, 2007, 10:42 PM
Just curious....Did anybody else besides me like the Illusionist? Kyra, Heather, Fort...anyone? Was this even a movie from 2006?...(I can just see me pulling for a movie that isn't even from the correct year...LOL!!)

Newmastersswimmer

blainesapprentice
February 25th, 2007, 10:45 PM
yes the illusionist is from this year haha

Caped Crusader
February 25th, 2007, 11:09 PM
Does anyone like Tom Cruise anymore?

blainesapprentice
February 25th, 2007, 11:13 PM

I don't know of anyone.

I'm actually kinda suprised they had him give such a big award.

p.s. what is paltrow wearing?

blainesapprentice
February 25th, 2007, 11:14 PM
Just curious....Did anybody else besides me like the Illusionist? Kyra, Heather, Fort...anyone? Was this even a movie from 2006?...(I can just see me pulling for a movie that isn't even from the correct year...LOL!!)

Newmastersswimmer

p.s. the Illusionist is up for Achievement in Cinematography

blainesapprentice
February 25th, 2007, 11:15 PM
and it didn't win.

who would of guessed...Pans Lab.

SwimStud
February 25th, 2007, 11:19 PM
My kid should have got an award for my 50 BR video!! LMAO

nancytris
February 25th, 2007, 11:21 PM

No. But then again, I guess I can't speak for everyone.

The Fortress
February 25th, 2007, 11:38 PM
I don't know of anyone.
I'm actually kinda suprised they had him give such a big award.
p.s. what is paltrow wearing?

Me neither. Eew. Of course, he is intolerant and highly opinionated, so he might fit right in here on the argument threads. But could he abstain from discussing politics or prescription drugs?

I think I saw Paltrow in a soft pink chiffon thing sitting down. Didn't get the whole effect.

What about Jack's shaved head? I definitely think Jack is a loud flyer.

blainesapprentice
February 25th, 2007, 11:41 PM
well whatever that think she's wearing is...she needs to reconsider next time around in my opinion. Sometimes I wonder how much these women are getting paid to wear their outfits...but then again...regardless of if they wear the best outfit or worst outfit of the night...they still get the media's attention.

SwimStud
February 25th, 2007, 11:41 PM
Yay for Jennifer Hudson!
She is so beautiful and real too!

jaegermeister
February 26th, 2007, 12:00 AM

Good God this guy is a disgrace to the gender. Or the species. There is no way I can see him any more and not get nauseous. I think he's a couple of bad movies away from a trailer park.

The Illusionist was a good Friday night's entertainment at our house.

BTW, I'm not watching partly because we had to dig out from about 20" of snow, and partly because I have to get organized so I can get up at 5 in the AM for my best workout of the week.
But here's any interesting factoid. Among the actors and directors that never won an Oscar (before the Academy realized what bozos they'd been and gave them lifetime acheivments) were Cary Grant (yes, you read that right), Barbara Stanwyck (sp?), Hitchcock, and several other greats. So its a little bit of a boycot on my part. The awards are pretty good drama, but my life's a little too full for much superficial drama these days.

Peter Cruise
February 26th, 2007, 12:16 AM
Oh, Tom is just a little lost soul; for some reason though, I cut him an enormous amount of slack.

newmastersswimmer
February 26th, 2007, 12:17 AM
I can't believe that Paul Giammani (SP??)...the guy from sideways wasn't nominated for best supporting actor for The Illusionist? That is very wierd?

Speaking of Gwenth Paltrow, I'm not really a big fan of hers for the most part....I liked the movie from a couple of years ago called "Sky Captain World of Tommorrow" but not because of Paltrow (she was kind of boring in that movie)....BUT I really liked her in "The Proof" with Anthony Hopkins....I thought she was brilliant and very believable in that movie....but then again I am a loser and a geek...LOL!!

Newmastersswimmer

p.s. Yes Tom Cruise is pretty scarey!!

The Fortress
February 26th, 2007, 12:22 AM
Oh, Tom is just a little lost soul; for some reason though, I cut him an enormous amount of slack.

Well, he did apologize. But what about poor Katie Holmes? Married to an ultra-control freak? Egad. I'd die.

Tom:

I can't believe Hitchcock didn't get any awards. How sad. I love his movies too.

I'm sorry your life is too full for superficial drama ... You must be working too hard shoveling...

Still no great frocks. I think I saw a lesser star in a decent one. I didn't mind Naomi Watt's dress. Cate's was OK. I could use Cameron's earrings.

Alan Arkin? The worst acceptance speech in Oscar history. A heroin addict can't wing it on stage? Jeez.

Peter Cruise
February 26th, 2007, 12:36 AM
But Les, Tom is an ultra-controlled freak himself, his thoughts are not his own, he marches to the beat of a dictated drummer; I feel sorry for him, he is a pathetic figure, but as a distant cousin he merits my lukewarm defence.

The Fortress
February 26th, 2007, 12:44 AM
Now that you've totally pissed me off by changing your avatar, I am putting up a better one of yoda. But I refuse to lose the wheelbarrow signature ...

Wow, sorry to hear he's a "distant cousin." No wonder you're cranky ... I should have known. Is it a kissin' cousin ala NC? :rofl: Oh, that's so ... "he who must not be named." You know, as in Harry Potter. Yes, Cruise is obviously controlled too ... But he got sucked into that controlled environment in the first place ... Better to be an ___________. Can't say. Against the rules.

FlyQueen
February 26th, 2007, 12:45 AM
Okay, like Jodie's dress ... and Helen Mirren is Best Dressed ... this is already gone 15 minutes past what it was supposed to ... I hope I didn't miss anything good during my nap ...

knelson
February 26th, 2007, 12:46 AM
but as a distant cousin he merits my lukewarm defence.

I thought his real name was Mapother?

I wouldn't want you to have to claim him as a relative if you didn't have to :)

SwimStud
February 26th, 2007, 01:00 AM
Hellen Mirren is an Essex Girl. From my home County!

poolraat
February 26th, 2007, 01:06 AM
I guess I should watch more films and should have watched the tube tonight.
Maybe then I'd have a clue as what the heck you guys are talking about.
:yawn:

FlyQueen
February 26th, 2007, 01:19 AM
Yeah for Scorsese ... it's about time. Highlight of the evening!

SweetGirl
February 26th, 2007, 01:19 AM
Well, I think Helen Mirren was very well dressed for her age, but Best Dressed? I wasn't bowled over by any of them. What a big shocker that Scorsese was best director. :rofl: But I was a little bit surprised that The Departed won best movie. It was very good, but I just thought Little Miss Sunshine might surprise everyone ... I haven't seen Babel yet, but it sounds very dark.

Poolraat:

What are you doing that is keeping you away from the Oscars? Drinking dark ale? Don't you like reasonably well-dressed women? Or only women in fastskins?

Annie

FlyQueen
February 26th, 2007, 01:23 AM
I think Helen Mirren dressed well for her age. The only other dresses that I didn't think were absolutely hiddeous were Reese's and Jodie's. Nicole Kidman's might have been alright if it weren't for the bow. Other than that I thought the dresses were terrible ...

The Fortress
February 26th, 2007, 01:28 AM
I think Helen Mirren dressed well for her age. The only other dresses that I didn't think were absolutely hiddeous were Reese's and Jodie's. Nicole Kidman's might have been alright if it weren't for the bow. Other than that I thought the dresses were terrible ...

Exactly, well dressed for her age. I didn't like Nicole's bow or the red color. Reese's was OK, but those were some serious hair extensions. Real swimmers could never get away with that. The extensions would fall out fast. If they didn't, I'm sure I would have longer hair.:rofl: Then again, that might not be age appropriate and would certainly be expensive. So I'll go spend my money on botox and fastskins. :rofl: They're both so long lasting ....

FlyQueen:

I'm sure we could do much better on the frock front, what with our broad backs and all ...

Seagurl51
February 26th, 2007, 01:41 AM
I got 13 out of 24 on my ballot right...yay! I was pissed that Pan's Labyrinth didn't get Best Foreign Film though!! I didn't see any of the other's, but still. ;)

I was upset about the Original Score too. Babel's music was harsh and really snycopated. Pan's was much more melodic.....maybe I'm just partial to Pan's Labyrinth because it was freaking amazing....:wiggle:

I was jumping up and down and screaming when Scorsese won!! YAY!! It's about time he got noticed.

Little Miss Sunshine for me was the come out of nowhere winner. I liked it, but I think Djimon should have won for Best Supporting Actor. He was better I thought than Alan.

Other than that, I really wasn't suprised by any of the winners, except may Best Supporting Actress....she should totally go back on American Idol and hit Simon with her statue and say "See what you missed!!"

The dresses were a little lax this year. The girl from Dreamgirls' was amazing though (the one who wasn't Beyonce or the girl who go the Oscar). I thought that dress was gorgeous. And I liked Cate's. How 'bout Daniel Craig, Leo, and George huh? They sure worked those tuxes. :groovy:

Jim, the Illusionst came out around November 2006. And yes, I've seen it.

Tom Cruise is off my cool list. He's gone of the deep end, and it's too bad. He was pretty alright back in the day.

Peter Cruise
February 26th, 2007, 01:44 AM
Kirk- Tommy uses his mother's last name, which is Cruise. Her family comes from Rochester, which is where our family black sheep disappeared to years ago. Now what awards have you all being going on about- is it the Threadies? Oh goodness and I don't have a thing to wear...I hope I'm up for briefest foreign poster, nah, just crankiest...

chaos
February 26th, 2007, 01:55 AM
[QUOTE=Seagurl51;80514
By the same tangent, In honor of my probably extreme love of movies, I'm working on list of every movie I"ve ever seen to see if I can get to 1,000. Right now I'm stuck at 812, so anybody that can suggest movies would be awesome. I've seen (and listed) pretty much all major movies from the last 10 years and a fair number from the early 70's (odd I know), but I'm open to all suggestions.
.[/QUOTE]

Buffalo 66, The City Of Lost Children, Fitzcaraldo, Man Bites Dog, Baxter, Cinema Paradiso, Coffee and Cigerettes, Jesus Camp, Ghost Dog, The Bad Lieutenant............10 quick, off the top of my head must sees.

Run Lola Run, Requiem for a Dream, Grizzley Man, Aguire The Conquerer, Smilla's sense of Snow, Night On Earth, Zeleg, 200 Motels, Gilbert Grape, can't think of the title of that Wim Wenders film with Nastasia Kinski and Willem Dafoe.....something with angles?...........10 more
ok, i'll stop now

Peter Cruise
February 26th, 2007, 01:59 AM
So David, how long have you liked Hollywood musicals?

Seagurl51
February 26th, 2007, 02:02 AM
Buffalo 66, The City Of Lost Children, Fitzcaraldo, Man Bites Dog, Baxter, Cinema Paradiso, Coffee and Cigerettes, Jesus Camp, Ghost Dog, The Bad Lieutenant............10 quick, off the top of my head must sees.

Run Lola Run, Requiem for a Dream, Grizzley Man, Aguire The Conquerer, Smilla's sense of Snow, Night On Earth, Zeleg, 200 Motels, Gilbert Grape, can't think of the title of that Wim Wenders film with Nastasia Kinski and Willem Dafoe.....something with angles?...........10 more
ok, i'll stop now

Wow....you're one of the first people to suggest movies I actually haven't seen! I'll add them to my rental list....

chaos
February 26th, 2007, 02:06 AM
I was upset about the Original Score too. Babel's music was harsh and really snycopated. Pan's was much more melodic.....maybe I'm just partial to Pan's Labyrinth because it was freaking amazing....:wiggle:

Pan's score was too simplistic, it had a very short theme that was repeated to death. Don't get me wrong, I think it worked well within a film as visually complex as it was.
Gustavo Santaolalla has scored the motorcycle diaries, and brokeback mtn, those two sound tracks stand on their own and both have a permanant spot on my ipod. I think babel required a score that was diverse and featured ryhthms and instrumentation outside the typical "big string section" kind of score. Plus, I really like world music.:2cents:

chaos
February 26th, 2007, 02:12 AM
So David, how long have you liked Hollywood musicals?

200 Motels is a musical.....sort of. The climax scene in Buffalo 66 has a great Yes song going on. For most of the other films, I was too tightly curled up in a fetal position to notice any music:D I hope my list doesn't hurt Kyra.

Peter Cruise
February 26th, 2007, 02:19 AM
Judy Garland passing out in a field of poppies, now that was film noir.

David, do you check under your bed at night?

chaos
February 26th, 2007, 02:27 AM
Judy Garland passing out in a field of poppies, now that was film noir.

David, do you check under your bed at night?

I will tonight!

SwimStud
February 26th, 2007, 09:46 AM
Meryl Streep.

She just gets better over the years. I thought she was beautiful when I had only just begun to notice girls...she still makes my toes curl!

swimr4life
February 26th, 2007, 10:02 AM
I can't believe that Paul Giammani (SP??)...the guy from sideways wasn't nominated for best supporting actor for The Illusionist? That is very wierd?

I AGREE!!!! I loved the Illusionist.....unbelieveable ending! Makes you just smile and want to watch it again. Paul Giammani was the star of the movie and should have at least been nominated for an Academy Award! :shakeshead:

SwimStud
February 26th, 2007, 10:05 AM
I AGREE!!!! I loved the Illusionist.....unbelieveable ending! Makes you just smile and want to watch it again. Paul Giammani was the star of the movie and should have at least been nominated for an Academy Award! :shakeshead:

He'll get his awards...lots of them...he's just really getting into the screen. It's a fact pretty boys don't make good actors...short balding average guys have to be good actors to make a living, they just don't get the awards either.

Seagurl51
February 26th, 2007, 11:00 AM
200 Motels is a musical.....sort of. The climax scene in Buffalo 66 has a great Yes song going on. For most of the other films, I was too tightly curled up in a fetal position to notice any music:D I hope my list doesn't hurt Kyra.

Oh are they scary movies? I don't do scary movies. Weird, psycho thrillers (depending) I can usually handle, but scary ain't happenin'

Paul Gimanni is one of my favorite actors and he will definately get his chance, but comapared to some of the other people he was up against, he has some work cut out for him. He might have been nominated over Leo, but Leo is getting better as he gets older.

swimr4life
February 26th, 2007, 11:05 AM
I have not seen a lot of the movies that were nominated for Academy Awards. I did see The Departed, The Pursuit of Happyness and The Illusionist. What was your favorite movie this past year and why? I have a Blockbuster around the corner and plan on doing some heavy duty renting! ;)

newmastersswimmer
February 26th, 2007, 11:13 AM
I AGREE!!!! I loved the Illusionist.....unbelieveable ending! Makes you just smile and want to watch it again. Paul Giammani was the star of the movie and should have at least been nominated for an Academy Award!

posted by Swimr4life

You are obviously a very wise and intelligent woman Beth! ....and so is Kyra and the others too I suppose...even if they apparently do not share our opinion on that movie...LOL!! I also thought Ed Norton was mesmorizing in the movie....but I can't really comment on what Kyra said because I haven't seen many of the movies that were winning last night (like the departed and blood diamond....nor did I see the last King of Scotland or the queen...Little Miss Sunshine was a riot though and Alan Arkin was the perfect guttermind grandfather IMO...LOL!!). The clips from the queen looked really good though. As far as Martin Scorsese winning.....I like him a lot as a director....but it is funny that he made the comment that this was the first movie that he has ever directed with an actual plot...LOL! I watched taxi driver with Robert Dinero just the other night on cable and thought the movie had no plot whatsoever....just drifted aimlessly from scene to scene....Deniro was great and all....but I couldn't really get into it because it lacked so much structure....Am I going to get pounded now for saying all of this?...LOL!!

Newmastersswimmer

chaos
February 26th, 2007, 11:19 AM
[QUOTE=Seagurl51;80633]Oh are they scary movies? I don't do scary movies. Weird, psycho thrillers (depending) I can usually handle, but scary ain't happenin'
QUOTE]
the scariest one on the list is jesus camp, most of the others are pretty intense but i wouldn't say scary.

swimr4life
February 26th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Oh yeah...I forgot to put Little Miss Sunshine on my list. That was a quirky, cute, fun and sweet movie. Alan Arkin was very funny in that movie. When the little girl did her routine at the end it was funny but painful to watch. I loved how she was so innocent and had no clue to how bad she was! If we could all be like that....."dance like no one is watching!".....we would probably all be a whole lot happier in life!

Newmastersswimmer we need to start a Paul Giammani fan club! I predict he will be winning an Academy Award some time in the near future. He is an awesome actor! He "said" so much without saying a word with his facial expressions at the end of the movie! (You have to see the movie to know what I mean!)

SwimStud
February 26th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Oh yeah...I forgot to put Little Miss Sunshine on my list. That was a quirky, cute, fun and sweet movie. Alan Arkin was very funny in that movie. When the little girl did her routine at the end it was funny but painful to watch. I loved how she was so innocent and had no clue to how bad she was! If we could all be like that....."dance like no one is watching!".....we would probably all be a whole lot happier in life!

Newmastersswimmer we need to start a Paul Giammani fan club! I predict he will be winning an Academy Award some time in the near future. He is an awesome actor! He "said" so much without saying a word with his facial expressions at the end of the movie! (You have to see the movie to know what I mean!)

He should have won one for cinderella man...

The Fortress
February 26th, 2007, 11:47 AM

I liked him too! But if we are going to start a fan club, we better get his name right guys. It's Giamatti. He's the son of the former baseball commissoner, another plus for me.

SweetGirl
February 26th, 2007, 12:15 PM
I liked him too! But if we are going to start a fan club, we better get his name right guys. It's Giamatti. He's the son of the former baseball commissoner, another plus for me.

Baseball is too boring for me. I wish there was more swimming on TV. Will the World Championships be on TV? Fortress, are you the one that thinks the "Mets suck"?

Wow, Dave Barra watches a lot of movies. How do you have that much time?

poolraat
February 26th, 2007, 12:24 PM
Poolraat:

What are you doing that is keeping you away from the Oscars? Drinking dark ale? Don't you like reasonably well-dressed women? Or only women in fastskins?

Annie

I was all ready to come bck with a smart-a** quip to this then thought better of it. The forum police would probably have deleted it (and me).:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

And women in fastskins? That's hot!

Anyway these awards programs don't trip my trigger. I have other things that need to be done, like beer drinking and such.

SwimStud
February 26th, 2007, 12:26 PM
*eyes VenusEnvy suspiciously*

...things that make you go hmmm...

Venus, are you sure you're really a girl?

chaos
February 26th, 2007, 12:42 PM
Wow, Dave Barra watches a lot of movies. How do you have that much time?

No pets, no kids, no cable TV.

SwimStud
February 26th, 2007, 12:44 PM
Anyway these awards programs don't trip my trigger. I have other things that need to be done, like beer drinking and such.

and working off that monofin!

:laugh2: :joker:

Dave it's amazing how much garbage TV I now no longer watch because of swimming :D

SweetGirl
February 26th, 2007, 12:47 PM
Anyway these awards programs don't trip my trigger.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Good thing this is an NSR thread.

:drink:

SweetGirl
February 26th, 2007, 12:49 PM
*eyes VenusEnvy suspiciously*

...things that make you go hmmm...

Venus, are you sure you're really a girl?

Well, I never, SwimStud. You think I'm a guy just because I think baseball is boring? :confused:

I asked Jim to change my user name because of you clowns. :joker:

knelson
February 26th, 2007, 12:51 PM
I'm glad Little Miss Sunshine didn't win. I thought it was pretty average. Certainly nowhere near good enough to win Best Picture. Alan Arkin was a real hoot, then again he really wasn't on the screen that long (don't want to spoil anything for those who haven't watched it yet!).

newmastersswimmer
February 26th, 2007, 01:18 PM
Baseball is too boring for me. I wish there was more swimming on TV. Will the World Championships be on TV? Fortress, are you the one that thinks the "Mets suck"? posted by VenusEnvy

As long as she didn't say the Stros suck....b/c that would be fightin words!!

BTW Venus, I noticed you seem to be a little sensitive about your forum name (or you think people are making fun of it....or maybe you're just j/k about it??)....but I've read all of the posts pretty closely and I don't recall any postings where anyone has said anything negative at all about your forum name....so I'm assuming you're just j/k then? Forgive me If I didn't catch that b/c my brain doesn't always work so well....I certainly wouldn't want you to feel offended in any way .....you're a new poster and I want you to feel welcome here!

Newmastersswimmer

The Fortress
February 26th, 2007, 01:57 PM
BTW Venus, I noticed you seem to be a little sensitive about your forum name (or you think people are making fun of it....or maybe you're just j/k about it??)....but I've read all of the posts pretty closely and I don't recall any postings where anyone has said anything negative at all about your forum name....so I'm assuming you're just j/k then? Forgive me If I didn't catch that b/c my brain doesn't always work so well....I certainly wouldn't want you to feel offended in any way .....you're a new poster and I want you to feel welcome here!
Newmastersswimmer

Hmmm... Jim. Yes a chill pill might be in order. Or a puffball? Or maybe we all just like the user name? :rofl: It really beats "The Fortress" or "newmastersswimmer." It's right up there with "SwimStud" though.

Met suck. Yankees suck.

islandsox
February 26th, 2007, 02:06 PM
Fort,

No, the Dodgers suck. And I love venusenvy's screen name, for goodness sakes, look, it's a TOAD! And since I am on a roll, I will apologise to Rich first, but here it is: isn't SwimStud an oxymoron?:rofl::rofl: gotcha Rich!!

I'm jabbing people because I read somewhere recently that someone thought there were too many Dog avatars and I haven't forgotten that one!!!

Donna

SwimStud
February 26th, 2007, 02:17 PM
Fort,

No, the Dodgers suck. And I love venusenvy's screen name, for goodness sakes, look, it's a TOAD! And since I am on a roll, I will apologise to Rich first, but here it is: isn't SwimStud an oxymoron?:rofl::rofl: gotcha Rich!!

OK do I have to fly down there?? :thhbbb:

YBDRY
February 26th, 2007, 02:23 PM
I'm jabbing people because I read somewhere recently that someone thought there were too many Dog avatars and I haven't forgotten that one!!!Donna

I agree. I like the dog avatars. Yours, Paul's and Poolraat's. He should have kept it, it was much better than that cat.

The Fortress
February 26th, 2007, 02:24 PM
OK do I have to fly down there?? :thhbbb:

Exactly! Butterfly avatars are much better than dog avatars.

I'm glad your fly is coming along so well Rich!

Seagurl51
February 26th, 2007, 02:46 PM
Dog avatars rock. How can you not think my dog is the cutest thing ever?!! haha...she's my baby. :wiggle:

Yankees suck, Mariners all the way.

JIM! How can you not like Taxi Driver!?! It does have plot, he's trying to rid New York City of scum, didn't you listen to the voice over? ;) Speaking of Scorsese movies...how 'bout GoodFellas? That movie rocked.

I was really behind on my movies this year and had only seen about 15 of the total movies nominated. Usually I've seen all of them, with the exception of a few documentaries and foreign films.

For the fans of Giamatti, have you all seen American Splendor? He was fantastic in that movie. And if we're making fan clubs, we should start one for Robert DeNiro and Al Pacino too. My favs!!!

poolraat
February 26th, 2007, 03:03 PM
Dog avatars rock. How can you not think my dog is the cutest thing ever?!! haha...she's my baby. :wiggle:

That is a nice dog.
I think I'll be Mater for a while.

tjburk
February 26th, 2007, 03:04 PM
Donna, can't be talkin bout my Dodgers that way!!!! Them's fightin words!!

Leonard Jansen
February 26th, 2007, 03:05 PM
200 Motels

You are a man of rare and refined taste. Zappa rules!

"Lord have mercy on the people in England, for the terrible food these people must eat..."

-LBJ

Seagurl51
February 26th, 2007, 03:12 PM
That is a nice dog.
I think I'll be Mater for a while.

Cars was so cute!! I have to say my favorite was Jermey Piven as Harv though. I'm totally addicted to Entourage. I liked all the jokes for the adults in it too. When someone yells out "Freebird!" in the beginning of the movie, I almost fell out of my chair I was laughing so hard.

My dog is fabulous. She puts up with me so well....see avatar. ;)

Rich that avatar is amazing. Isn't that site the greatest?

newmastersswimmer
February 26th, 2007, 03:19 PM
I wonder if Chaos (AKA David) has seen "From Dusk till Dawn" with Quentin Terrentino playing the psychotic freak of all times?...LOL!! How about Hotel Newhampshire with Jody Foster?....that was a bit disturbing don't you think?...LOL!!.....and finally a one of a kind comedy with Bobcat Goldwaith (Sp??).....called "Shakes The Clown"....that movie was totally hillarious (but in a guttermind way of course!!)....That old lady from Sanford and Son who Red Fox always made fun (Aunt Ester I believe her name is??) has one of the filthiest mouths I've ever heard in Shakes The Clown!....so beware if you have a weak stomach!...LOL!!

Newmastersswimmer

p.s. I don't only watch guttermind movies exclusively now....I like some other movies too....just NOT romantic comedies like "whos got mail" or "Runaway Bride"...etc...My wife loves those types of movies....and sometimes I have to watch them to keep the boss happy....but then again she laughed her butt off all the way through the Aristocrats....and that was the foulest movie I've ever seen...LOL!!

SwimStud
February 26th, 2007, 03:22 PM
p.s. I don't only watch guttermind movies exclusively now....I like some other movies too....just NOT romantic comedies like "whos got mail" or "Runaway Bride"...etc...My wife loves those types of movies....and sometimes I have to watch them to keep the boss happy....but then again she laughed her butt off all the way through the Aristocrats....and that was the foulest movie I've ever seen...LOL!!

Jim I bet you got through a few tissues on "The Notebook"

Caped Crusader
February 26th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Rich:

That's quite some avatar. You guys are all lunatics.

Can we talk about swimming now? ;)

SwimStud
February 26th, 2007, 03:32 PM
Rich:

That's quite some avatar. You guys are all lunatics.

Can we talk about swimming now? ;)

Avatar is wearing flip flops..:dunno:

Seagurl51
February 26th, 2007, 03:40 PM
Speaking of amazing quality movies....who saw Snakes On A Plane?

I'm surprised that wasn't nominated. ;)

Caped Crusader
February 26th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Avatar is wearing flip flops..:dunno:

Do you got daisies in your hand too? Beth and Fortress will be so happy.

SwimStud
February 26th, 2007, 03:42 PM
Do you got daisies in your hand too? Beth and Fortress will be so happy.

That and I'm all chocolate baby! :rofl: :rofl: How can any woman resist?

newmastersswimmer
February 26th, 2007, 03:43 PM
posted by Richie Rich

I don't know Rich?....Depends on what type of movie it is I guess? (I've never heard of it??)

Newmastersswimmer

SwimStud
February 26th, 2007, 03:45 PM
posted by Richie Rich

I don't know Rich?....Depends on what type of movie it is I guess?

Newmastersswimmer

Wasn't the Notebook a weepy so, called, "chick-flick?"

Seagurl51
February 26th, 2007, 03:49 PM
You've never heard of "The Notebook" ?!?! :eek:

That's the only movie I have ever cried at. It is a "chick-flick" I guess, but I know a lot of guys who really liked it. It's a very well done love story/movie.

newmastersswimmer
February 26th, 2007, 03:51 PM
Wasn't the Notebook a weepy so, called, "chick-flick?"

posted by Richie Rich

Oh I see....thanks for the clarification....Ah well, then I will say probably not.

Newmastersswimmer

SwimStud
February 26th, 2007, 03:52 PM
It is a "chick-flick" I guess, but I know a lot of guys who really liked it. It's a very well done love story/movie.

Um they were faking it to appear "sensitive"...or crying tears of joy it was over...sorry sweety but at least they figure you're worth the effort of trying to impress ;)

Seagurl51
February 26th, 2007, 03:56 PM
Um they were faking it to appear "sensitive"...or crying tears of joy it was over...sorry sweety but at least they figure you're worth the effort of trying to impress ;)

It wouldn't have been me they were trying to impress, they were all my friend's boyfriends.

As for the new 5 star rating....in honor of the Oscars......
I'd like to thank all the people who voted for me. The moderators for not shutting us down. My frequent renter card at Hollywood, Blockbuster, Hastings, and Movie Gallery for making it possible for me to spend almost 4 years of life watching movies. But mostly I'd like to thank myself for starting this amazing thread, where so many people can come and find solice from their mundane everyday lives. Thank you all, you're beautiful. *kiss, kiss*

SwimStud
February 26th, 2007, 03:57 PM
That's the object of all movies....duh. ;)

As for the new 5 star rating....in honor of the Oscars......
I'd like to thank all the people who voted for me. The moderators for not shutting us down. My frequent renter card at Hollywood, Blockbuster, Hastings, and Movie Gallery for making it possible for me to spend almost 4 years of life watching movies. But mostly I'd like to thank myself for starting this amazing thread, where so many people can come and find solice from their mundane everyday lives. Thank you all, you're beautiful. *kiss, kiss*

"I give you, The Queen!"

Sorority Girl
February 26th, 2007, 04:28 PM
You've never heard of "The Notebook" ?!?! :eek:

That's the only movie I have ever cried at. It is a "chick-flick" I guess, but I know a lot of guys who really liked it. It's a very well done love story/movie.

Me too!! I cried. I thought it was adorable!

You guys are all so funny and clever. I love this thread. :applaud: :woot:

My very first post. :groovy:

tjburk
February 26th, 2007, 04:30 PM
Welcome to the mad house Sorority Girl!!!!!!

Sorority Girl
February 26th, 2007, 04:39 PM
Welcome to the mad house Sorority Girl!!!!!!

Thanks Tracey! It's a mad house all right. :rofl: :banana: Cool. I'm in!

SwimStud
February 26th, 2007, 04:45 PM
Thanks Tracey! It's a mad house all right. :rofl: :banana: Cool. I'm in!

Just be careful what you wish for...

islandsox
February 26th, 2007, 04:53 PM
Tracy,

Dodgers still suck; I am from San Francisco so now you know why; Giants all the way except Barry Bonds now has me somewhat ashamed of them. But Dodger Dogs are terrific; don't they get them from Costco:rofl:?

And dog avatars are unique and my dog who is now deceased and is my avatar, used to ride on my motor scooter with her paws over the handlebars, now that makes my dog unique (RIP Sox). And she would float on my air mattress while I did my workouts to keep people from stealing it!! Pretty cool dog she was.

Rich: I was just making fun of your avatar name because I knew you could actually take the joking criticism!!! It's because I've never seen a stud swim before.

Movies? I haven't seen any in 6 years!! But now we have Direct TV and can order them.

Has anyone seen the Guardian? The ads look great and I think it is now on video.

donna

tjburk
February 26th, 2007, 04:58 PM
Donna.......oooooooohhhhhh!!!!! Now the truth comes out!!!! Giants fan? HA! HA! HA!

On the other hand....IMHO Barry is innocent until somebody proves otherwise! He has always been a great player!!!

islandsox
February 26th, 2007, 05:06 PM
Kyra,

You forgot to add the: "I want world peace" to your Oscar speech.

Tracy,

OK, that's it the gloves are coming off!!!

Donna

swimr4life
February 26th, 2007, 05:10 PM
Tracy,

Has anyone seen the Guardian? The ads look great and I think it is now on video.

donna

YESSS! The Guardian is a great movie. I was pleasantly surprised at what a great job Ashton Kucher did. He is a pretty good actor. The swimming was decent. The "records" that Ashton Kucher's character breaks are pretty slow considering he was wearing fins! Only swimmers would notice though!

Donna, your dog was beautiful! It sounds like she had a great personality.

newmastersswimmer
February 26th, 2007, 05:52 PM
Me too!! I cried. I thought it was adorable!

You guys are all so funny and clever. I love this thread.

My very first post.
posted by sorority girl

Actually I rarely cry over most movies.....but some movies (like Saving Private Ryan and Million Dollar Baby) do bring out a tear or two. Welcome to the board Sorority Girl!

Newmastersswimmer

Peter Cruise
February 26th, 2007, 06:03 PM
One movie that made me bawl my eyes out was 'Wit' starring Emma Thompson in one of the most powerful acting performances I've ever seen.

chaos
February 26th, 2007, 07:08 PM
You are a man of rare and refined taste. Zappa rules!

"Lord have mercy on the people in England, for the terrible food these people must eat..."

-LBJ

Leonard, I knew there had to be another Z-head out there! I've found youtube to be a great resource for old live footage and interviews.

"evelyn, a modified dog, viewed the quivering fringe of a special doily draped across the piano with some surprise. in the darkened room with the chair dismayed and the horrible curtain muffled the rain, she could hardly believe her eyes........"

Peter Cruise
February 26th, 2007, 07:24 PM
David- you need to meet Repairman Jack.

Seagurl51
February 26th, 2007, 07:35 PM
Leonard, I knew there had to be another Z-head out there! I've found youtube to be a great resource for old live footage and interviews.

"evelyn, a modified dog, viewed the quivering fringe of a special doily draped across the piano with some surprise. in the darkened room with the chair dismayed and the horrible curtain muffled the rain, she could hardly believe her eyes........"

I have no idea what y'all are talking about, but it sounds fun and I think I want to know. What do I need to watch?

chaos
February 26th, 2007, 07:39 PM
Kyra....Its Frank Zappa stuff. 200 Motels is a film he did while recovering from a broken leg (had to cancel his tour) Keith moon plays a nun, Ringo Starr plays Frank Zappa, Flo and Eddie...what more can I say.

Peter, I will check out the repairman.

newmastersswimmer
February 26th, 2007, 07:42 PM
I have no idea what y'all are talking about, but it sounds fun and I think I want to know. What do I need to watch? posted by kyra

Wow Kyra....you are young....but you have never heard of Frank Zappa? He has a daughter a little older than you perhaps named Moon-Unit Zappa. He wrote a lot of excellent music....very tight musician from the 70's 80's mostly (although his music can probably be traced back into the 60's in fact)....tragically he died of cancer while still a relatively young man. I use to own Joe's Garage. Ever heard the song "Catholic Girls"...that one was one of the best known Pop like songs that got played on the radio some...most of his music was not mainstream though and didn't get a lot of radio air time.

Newmastersswimmer

chaos
February 26th, 2007, 07:46 PM
Ever heard the song "Catholic Girls"...that one was one of the best known Pop like songs that got played on the radio some...most of his music was not mainstream though and didn't get a lot of radio air time.

Newmastersswimmer
You must be thinking of Valley Girls.

Cathlolic Girls was never played on the radio in this country, but I did hear Joe's Garage a few times.

Seagurl51
February 26th, 2007, 07:47 PM
OH! I have heard of that guy before! I remember talking with my mom about names (when I was in the phase of hating mine) and she told me I could have been named Moonunit. Doesn't he have a kid named Dweezle too? So I have heard of him, but I've never heard his stuff. I'll google it and see what I can find....and I'll add 200 Motels to my rental list.

I know who Ringo Starr is that buys me any points back. ;) I used to have the song "Put me in the Movies"...I think that's what it was called...memorised when I was younger and I'd sing it all the time.

newmastersswimmer
February 26th, 2007, 07:51 PM
Yes his son is Dweezle and his daughter is Moon-Unit....Kinda funny eh...LOL!! Frank was a bit of a guttermind too I think...He was a great musician but many of songs are a bit risque and meant to be of a comical nature. I really liked his guitar style....he could really play guitar as good as the best of them IMO! I thought Catholic Girls was kind of a pop-like song and maybe thats why I thought it got some airtime...Oh well, thanks for clearing that up for me David.

Newmastersswimmer

YBDRY
February 26th, 2007, 07:52 PM
I know who Ringo Starr is that buys me any points back. ;) I used to have the song "Put me in the Movies"...I think that's what it was called...memorised when I was younger and I'd sing it all the time.

Buck Owens recorded that before Ringo. I remember hearing it on the radio all the time as a kid. (our station only played country :( )

newmastersswimmer
February 26th, 2007, 07:54 PM
You must be thinking of Valley Girls. posted by David Barra

Probably so, even though that was a Moon-Unit song I believe....not a Frank Zappa song per se

Newmastersswimmer

chaos
February 26th, 2007, 08:01 PM
You must be thinking of Valley Girls. posted by David Barra

Probably so, even though that was a Moon-Unit song I believe....not a Frank Zappa song per se

Newmastersswimmer

It did get a lot of air time...for Zappa, its on the album Ship Arriving Too Late To Save a Drowning Witch....(hey, thats almost swim related)

Seagurl51
February 26th, 2007, 08:02 PM
Buck Owens recorded that before Ringo. I remember hearing it on the radio all the time as a kid. (our station only played country :( )

I'm so sorry. That must have been horrible. My condulances.

:lolup:

newmastersswimmer
February 26th, 2007, 08:48 PM
It did get a lot of air time...for Zappa, its on the album Ship Arriving Too Late To Save a Drowning Witch....(hey, thats almost swim related)

posted by David Barra

This thread was specifically labeled NSR o.k. David!!....just j/k of course....afterall it also said Hijacking is encouraged (or something to that effect)...LOL!! So we can talk about anything we want with now regard to the original topic...I love it...LOL!!

BTW I see its a 5 star ranking too....way to go Seagurl!!

Newmastersswimmer

islandsox
February 26th, 2007, 08:59 PM

I second the condolences on only hearing country; I'll say a little prayer for you.:D

donna (ps: I lived in Texas a LONG time so no country for me)

YBDRY
February 26th, 2007, 09:07 PM
I second the condolences on only hearing country; I'll say a little prayer for you.:D

donna (ps: I lived in Texas a LONG time so no country for me)

Not here either. Not any more!

chaos
February 26th, 2007, 09:15 PM
Not here either. Not any more!

C'mon.....Johnny Cash, Lucinda Williams, Emmylou Harris, Junior Brown, Roy Clark, Jimmy Bryant, Speedy West, Chet Atkins, Steve Earl....I think you guys have been spoiled by that watered down country pop stuff.

Peter Cruise
February 26th, 2007, 09:59 PM
Oh brother, where art thou? Roots rule.

swimr4life
February 26th, 2007, 10:56 PM
Oh brother, where art thou?

That movie is so off the wall weird and funny! You definitely have to be in the right frame of mind to watch it. But, it gets funnier every time I see it.

SwimStud
February 26th, 2007, 11:32 PM
C'mon.....Johnny Cash, Lucinda Williams, Emmylou Harris, Junior Brown, Roy Clark, Jimmy Bryant, Speedy West, Chet Atkins, Steve Earl....I think you guys have been spoiled by that watered down country pop stuff.

Well Johnny Cash kinda stradled the line...
We used to get treated to Dolly Parton, Tamm Wynette, Kenny Rogers and Glen Campbell even in the UK.

Everyone: "Stand by your man! Give him two arms to cling too..."

LOL one of the best parts of the Blues Brothers...

poolraat
February 26th, 2007, 11:38 PM
Back to movies...Smoke Signals, Medicine River

Seagurl51
February 27th, 2007, 12:24 AM
Everyone: "Stand by your man! Give him two arms to cling too..."

LOL one of the best parts of the Blues Brothers...

That movie rocked. That part was definately one of the best of whole movie. That and John Belushi begging in the mud and racing through the mall.....

FlyQueen
February 27th, 2007, 12:33 AM
Wow, at least Titanic was mentioned and Leo's lack of ability to swim. Though Bork, I'd like to see you swim in 32 or 33 degree water, my guess is you wouldn't fair much better ... now those UT boys ... ;)

SwimStud
February 27th, 2007, 12:36 AM
Wow, at least Titanic was mentioned and Leo's lack of ability to swim. Though Bork, I'd like to see you swim in 32 or 33 degree water, my guess is you wouldn't fair much better ... now those UT boys ... ;)

Heather, sad to say 32 degrees will cause a lot of atrophy...better off with some one who uses a hot-tub regularly...
:rofl:

Kyra...how bout this line?

"You're gonna look pretty stupid trying to eat corn on the cob with no flipping teeth!"

ROFL

FlyQueen
February 27th, 2007, 12:37 AM
Well, I do love a good British accent ...:smooch:

Seagurl51
February 27th, 2007, 01:53 AM
hahaha Rich! Good times.

Heather, everything is better with a British accent. Have you seen Love Actually? Where Colin is talking about how American girls will seriously dig him because of his cute Britsh accent. .....leads to one of my other favorite lines from a movie, "I am Colin, God of Sex. I'm just on the wrong continent that's all."

Ivor
February 27th, 2007, 05:43 AM
Everything is better with a British accent.

Can you all tell I'm typing in a British accent?

dvarner
February 27th, 2007, 08:00 AM
Agreed on the watered down country stuff.

For fun, sample some tunes by Doug Sahm, Loudon Wainright, Jerry Jeff Walker and even classics by Bob Wills and his peers. The songwriting is tight, clever, and timeless. The humor can be "dryer than the Texas sand". The joy of music making is often very evident. Skip Nashville and the posers.

DV

SwimStud
February 27th, 2007, 10:45 AM
Can you all tell I'm typing in a British accent?

Yeah but Ivor, I'm here...you're there! :thhbbb:
;)

swimshark
February 27th, 2007, 03:56 PM
Kirk- Tommy uses his mother's last name, which is Cruise. Her family comes from Rochester, which is where our family black sheep disappeared to years ago. Now what awards have you all being going on about- is it the Threadies? Oh goodness and I don't have a thing to wear...I hope I'm up for briefest foreign poster, nah, just crankiest...

His full name is Thomas C (Cruise) Mapother, IV. He went to HS with my cousin in Bloomfield, NJ. They would have graduated together but he dropped out during his senior year. And his senior picture was HOT!

And a movie to add to the list of greats is "Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid". Awesomely funny and quirky movie.

Alison

newmastersswimmer
February 27th, 2007, 04:26 PM
Wow, at least Titanic was mentioned and Leo's lack of ability to swim. Though Bork, I'd like to see you swim in 32 or 33 degree water, my guess is you wouldn't fair much better ... now those UT boys ...

posted by FlyQueen

Oh I see how it is now....slam on poor old Bork when he's got his back turned eh?...(just j/k of course).....I can't swim in 65 degree water much less 32 or 33...LOL!! When I went to Mexico for Christmas break a couple of years ago, I was working out at a local outdoor hotel pool (25 meter pool) near my Dad's house....it was 62 degrees...I wore a kind of wetsuit that only partially covered the upper torso and covered my legs (and a swim cap of course)...but my upper chest and face froze!!...plus the water would trickle down my back under the wetsuit once I got started and that also froze like heck!!....I'm a very weak man when it comes to cold...LOL!!

Newmastersswimmer

Seagurl51
February 27th, 2007, 05:06 PM
Someone mentioned having an addiction to these forums, I think it was in the lurker thread. I just wanted to second that admission. I just finished a test I barely studied for because I was having fun on the forums, and the first thing I did was go to the Commons to get on a computer and check out the action and see if I missed anything. I'm standing here in my backpack typing....

My name is a Kyra and I'm a forumacholic......

p.s. Don't worry, I think I acutally did pretty ok on my test. So now I can focus on my other two tests this week. UGH! Hey Jim, why do professors like to pile stuff on in the weeks right before a break? It's not cool man! :dedhorse:

As for the cold water. I hate it. Our pool is really cold when you first get in, and I've started a ritual of screaming for my first 50. Actually kinda helps... :groovy: UT boys...and Michigan boys IMO ;)..... can swim in any water cuz they make it hott....

Slowswim
February 27th, 2007, 05:27 PM
Count me in the "Hate cold water crowd". I lived in Clearwater FL, I wouldn't even get in the water until it was 80 degrees. When I started swimming (coached) about 15 months ago, I had to get used to cold water 72-78 degrees. Sometimes I'd spend 15 minutes getting psyched up to jump in. Fortunately, the club I joined in Atlanta stays at 84 glorious degrees.:drink:
</IMG>

Swimmy
February 27th, 2007, 08:32 PM
Count me in the "Hate cold water crowd". I lived in Clearwater FL, I wouldn't even get in the water until it was 80 degrees. When I started swimming (coached) about 15 months ago, I had to get used to cold water 72-78 degrees. Sometimes I'd spend 15 minutes getting psyched up to jump in. Fortunately, the club I joined in Atlanta stays at 84 glorious degrees.:drink:
</IMG>

72-78 degrees? Cold? That is warm! I am happy if the water is above 65 in most of my races. Now a few weeks ago the water was 39 degrees....That is cold water!
Swimmy :)

Seagurl51
February 27th, 2007, 09:53 PM
72-78 degrees? Cold? That is warm! I am happy if the water is above 65 in most of my races. Now a few weeks ago the water was 39 degrees....That is cold water!
Swimmy :)

But you swim with fish too, so I don't think you count. ;)

The Fortress
February 27th, 2007, 11:27 PM
My name is a Kyra and I'm a forumacholic......

My name is Leslie and I'm a thread hijacker. But you gave me permission, so I do not feel abusive or disrespectful. :rofl:

So what subjects do you have the two other tests in?

Are you playing on facebook too? What other forums are you addicted to? Has everyone been knocking on ande's door to play on his facebook page after he started that thread inviting everyone over? How many addictions can one handle?

SwimStud
February 27th, 2007, 11:31 PM
My name is Leslie and I'm a thread hijacker. But you gave me permission, so I do not feel abusive or disrespectful. :rofl:

So what subjects do you have the two other tests in?

Are you playing on facebook too? What other forums are you addicted to? Has everyone been knocking on ande's door to play on his facebook page after he started that thread inviting everyone over? How many addictions can one handle?

Facebook Rules...

Seagurl51
February 27th, 2007, 11:32 PM
Are you on Facebook too?!?! I'm more addicted to Facebook then I am to these fourms! If you're on there you have to add me on your buddy list. ;)

I have a test in Principles of Public Relations and Principles of Radio and Television.

I'm handling 3 addictions right now. Facebook, forums, and gambling.... I guess I should have said, "Hi my name is Kyra and I'm addicted to addictions." :rofl:

poolraat
February 27th, 2007, 11:34 PM
Facebook Rules...
You have just been Poked.

SwimStud
February 27th, 2007, 11:35 PM
You have just been Poked.

Ditto...Kyra too but she's irresistable...LOL

Kyra..watch on the gambling...OK I'll turn "Dad" mode off now.

chaos
February 27th, 2007, 11:35 PM
I'm handling 3 addictions right now. Facebook, forums, and gambling.... I guess I should have said, "Hi my name is Kyra and I'm addicted to addictions." :rofl:

kyra, put down the dice and go rent a dvd.

Seagurl51
February 27th, 2007, 11:36 PM
Facebook Rules...

Watch out for Rich and his Facebook addiction.

The Fortress
February 27th, 2007, 11:37 PM

gambling too? on the internet? or texas hold em with friends? this seems to be a very common addiction these days ...

maybe everyone can now list all their addictions and we can add another 10 pages right quick.

I see Dave is addicted to DVDs.

Seagurl51
February 27th, 2007, 11:37 PM
kyra, put down the dice and go rent a dvd.

hahaha. I'm actually a very talented multi-tasker and can do both at once. And it's not dice so much as cards and sports.....

poolraat
February 27th, 2007, 11:38 PM

"poke"
Kyra stay off the rez. and quit buying lottery tickets.

Seagurl51
February 27th, 2007, 11:39 PM
gambling too? on the internet? or texas hold em with friends? this seems to be a very common addiction these days ...

maybe everyone can now list all their addictions and we can add another 10 pages right quick.

With friends. I've never gambled over the Internet. If I started Internet gambling I'd be out of school pretty soon.....

Trying to stop this addiction though. It's never been in big amounts, but often. I'd end up 2 dollaring myself into massive debt. Not to mention when I have money if I can't control it, I'd be in trouble. Vegas is such a temptress.....

SwimStud
February 27th, 2007, 11:41 PM
"poke"
Kyra stay off the rez. and quit buying lottery tickets.

The Rez.. LOL

We have Mohegan Sun and Foxwods in CT. OK Kyra will visit now!

My friend calls going to the casino "Going to pay the Indians" not PC but the idea of it cracks me up. I've never been. I want to hit Vegas..but I'm worried I'll ditch Mrs Stud and Marry a Showgirl or something...:rofl:

Seagurl51
February 27th, 2007, 11:44 PM
The Rez.. LOL

We have Mohegan Sun and Foxwods in CT. OK Kyra will visit now!

My friend calls going to the casino "Going to pay the Indians" not PC but the idea of it cracks me up. I've never been. I want to hit Vegas..but I'm worried I'll ditch Mrs Stud and Marry a Showgirl or something...:rofl:

I was disappointed in the showgirls I saw. I don't think Mrs. Stud is in danger.

I've acutally never been to the rez, and I used to live about 10 miles from one, and now I'm only about 30 minutes. But I guess I can go gamble with you, Rich....just don't hate me when I take all your money. ;)

Poke.

poolraat
February 27th, 2007, 11:44 PM
My friend calls going to the casino "Going to pay the Indians" not PC but the idea of it cracks me up....

You Europeans wouldn't have to pay us Indians if you had stayed on your side of the ocean.:dedhorse:

SwimStud
February 27th, 2007, 11:49 PM
You Europeans wouldn't have to pay us Indians if you had stayed on your side of the ocean.:dedhorse:

You should have killed Colombus when you had the chance :joker:

Seriously best story I heard was the natives paddling out to rescue drowing Europeans, bringing them back to shore...nursing them back to heath etc.

The European's grateful repayment? Forced conversion to Christianity or Death....

um now who were the savages again??

I don't know...

SwimStud
February 27th, 2007, 11:50 PM
Rich....just don't hate me when I take all your money. ;)

Money...where...2 kids = no money...

ensignada
February 27th, 2007, 11:51 PM
Hijacking the thread back now: Brazil, one of my all-time favorites. People either love it or hate it.

SwimStud
February 27th, 2007, 11:53 PM
Hijacking the thread back now: Brazil, one of my all-time favorites. People either love it or hate it.

Loved it! DeNiro..Fabulous...

2 thumbs way up!

Seagurl51
February 27th, 2007, 11:57 PM
Loved it! DeNiro..Fabulous...

2 thumbs way up!

I'll add it to my list too. I love DeNiro!!

newmastersswimmer
February 28th, 2007, 01:04 AM
I use to have an addiction to playing online chess (I simply don't have time for it anymore though....too busy posting on this particular lame public forum which I won't identify)...LOL!!....But that doesn't make me a geek does it?....LOL!!:rofl:

Newmastersswimmer

p.s. I'll take all of your money and all of your possesions and leave you with nothing but the clothes on your back Kyra!!.....(just j/k I can't bluff my way through a wet paper sack)...LOL!!.....how about backgammon?....I might be willing to gamble on that....or a game of chess or two...

Seagurl51
February 28th, 2007, 01:09 AM
I don't know how to play back--whatever. But chess maybe.....

Hmmm....we could mix poker and chess. You have to bet on which piece to capture.....maybe like a dollar for each pawn, 1.50 for the others, 3 for the Queen and 5 for the King....???

Seagurl51
February 28th, 2007, 01:13 AM
Because I love the idea, but said I wouldn't post any more on that thread I'm gonna open it here.....

I'm a Taurus and fit every definition of it you could ever find. I'm incredibly stubborn and I love luxurious things. Mexican is the best, but seafood is right up there. Music (except country) is amazing. And I play the bassoon, trombone, and a smidge of piano....

aquaFeisty
February 28th, 2007, 08:50 AM
Oh NO!!!

You guys had to bring up Facebook. I had just started an account. Well... there goes my free time! My poor child... I see lots of TV and Elmo in her future.

"Not now, Sweetie. Mommy has to check her Facebook page... after she reads through the USMS forums."

:D

SwimStud
February 28th, 2007, 10:01 AM
Because I love the idea, but said I wouldn't post any more on that thread I'm gonna open it here.....

I'm a Taurus and fit every definition of it you could ever find. I'm incredibly stubborn and I love luxurious things. Mexican is the best, but seafood is right up there. Music (except country) is amazing. And I play the bassoon, trombone, and a smidge of piano....

Cool I play drums and am a Leo...if you couldn't tell. :rofl:
Let's form a band...

"The Zodiac Fish"

Oh NO!!!

You guys had to bring up Facebook. I had just started an account. Well... there goes my free time! My poor child... I see lots of TV and Elmo in her future.

"Not now, Sweetie. Mommy has to check her Facebook page... after she reads through the USMS forums."

:D

Buy your kid a big tub of Jiffy (if they're not peanut allergic) and a spoon.... "Here's TV, shush!" ;)

~Wren~
February 28th, 2007, 10:48 AM
Okay - showing my ignorance here - what's the big deal with Facebook?

SwimStud
February 28th, 2007, 10:59 AM
Okay - showing my ignorance here - what's the big deal with Facebook?

Not much it's just a networking site...and you only have to interact with folks who are likeminded.

newmastersswimmer
February 28th, 2007, 11:04 AM
Cool I play drums and am a Leo...if you couldn't tell.
Let's form a band...

"The Zodiac Fish" posted by Richie Rich

Does this new band have any room in it for a JimCroceMan type guitar player?...LOL!! Actually most of the music I play on guitar falls along the line of the Grateful Dead or other similar type psycholdelic music....Some Bob Dylan mixed in (like Quinn The Mighty Eskimo and Tangled Up in Blue) and some Stevie Winwood/ Traffic stuff...Like Dear Mr. Fantasy...etc...

So am I in or what?....LOL!!

Newmastersswimmer

p.s. I'm a virgo by the way....o.k. Rich wipe that British smirk off your face (or I'll wipe it off for you o.k.....Wow where did that come from?..LOL!!)

SwimStud
February 28th, 2007, 11:11 AM
and some Stevie Winwood/ Traffic stuff...

Gimme Some Lovin' on 4! Ready? A one, a two...

jsmwbnc
February 28th, 2007, 11:16 AM
I'm on facebook too. I probably spend more time on there than I do reading these forums. Feel free to add me I'd love to be able to put some faces to usernames.

newmastersswimmer
February 28th, 2007, 11:44 AM
p.s. Don't worry, I think I acutally did pretty ok on my test. So now I can focus on my other two tests this week. UGH! Hey Jim, why do professors like to pile stuff on in the weeks right before a break? It's not cool man!

posted by Seagurl

Well because we're Evil of course! That was easy enough to answer....LOL!!:thhbbb:

Newmastersswimmer

Seagurl51
February 28th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Well because we're Evil of course! That was easy enough to answer....LOL!!:thhbbb:
Newmastersswimmer

I will most definately second that! :lolup: I guess you can be in the band.....

Wren, Facebook is amazing because it's a great distraction from homework when the forums aren't going. ;) It's open to everybody now, so you can join if you want. Just watch out for Rich and his pokes...;)

SwimStud
February 28th, 2007, 02:45 PM
It's open to everybody now, so you can join if you want. Just watch out for Rich and his pokes...;)

...now they'll be a stampede! LOL

poolraat
February 28th, 2007, 02:51 PM
Just watch out for Rich and his pokes...;)

I thought you started it.

Seagurl51
February 28th, 2007, 02:54 PM
I thought you started it.

Nope. It was all Rich. I might have poked you first, but that was because you expressed to Rich that you thought it was pointless. :D

Everybody's going to flood to Facebook so they can be my friend. Mwahahahaha :lolup:

SwimStud
February 28th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Nope. It was all Rich. I might have poked you first, but that was because you expressed to Rich that you thought it was pointless. :D

C'mon...theres a box that says "Poke Kyra" and it's me reading it...you do the math LOL
Hey I poked Beth and Floyd too..so it's all good LOL

:rofl: Truth be told I'm a real noodge in RL too so that sort of thing cracks me up .

Seagurl51
February 28th, 2007, 03:03 PM
C'mon...theres a box that says "Poke Kyra" and it's me reading it...you do the math LOL
Hey I poked Beth and Floyd too..so it's all good LOL

What box? Did I miss something? It must have fallen out of the hole....Rich.....:rofl:

Kimberlie Streed
February 28th, 2007, 03:05 PM
Donna, your dog sounds like an awesome companion. How old was she when she died and how long did you have her?

As for the Guardian, just saw it last it and I thought it was good, not great but really good, my husband didn't like it but I think he's too picky about movies. Lots of swimming & water scenes, pool & ocean -- enough to smell the chlorine & feel the salty air (to those of us who prefer life in the water to that on land anyway.) Probably why I liked it as much as I did.

Kimberlie Streed
February 28th, 2007, 03:11 PM
Tracy,

And dog avatars are unique and my dog who is now deceased and is my avatar, used to ride on my motor scooter with her paws over the handlebars, now that makes my dog unique (RIP Sox). And she would float on my air mattress while I did my workouts to keep people from stealing it!! Pretty cool dog she was... Movies? I haven't seen any in 6 years!! But now we have Direct TV and can order them...Has anyone seen the Guardian? The ads look great and I think it is now on video.
donna

Ooops, my previous response was to Donna's post on the 26th. I get a little behind sometimes.

Seagurl51
March 1st, 2007, 05:18 PM
Facebook is having a March Madness pool!! Anybody interested in joining one? Let me know, either here or there, and I can set it up. Or make one yourself and invite me in. ;)

islandsox
March 1st, 2007, 07:06 PM
Kimberlie, Sox was four years old when she died and it was tragic and could have been avoided, no reason for it----bad vet here--he gave her too many antibiotics and she left me. We adopted her when we came here because she was a "street dog" and turned out to be the best dog I'd ever had. She also was a food thief, could steal food better than humans. She used to sleep in our 20 foot ficus tree at about the 5 foot range off the ground.

I want to relay something I saw today that amused me to no end. I had to go to the grocery store (a 4 hour trip) and I saw Roatan's first Kar Wash and they were encouraging people to pull over for a wash. The sign read: Hondurans $1.00; Gringos (us) $10.00. And here is the funny part: it is a big hole in the ground and you drive over it and they throw buckets of water on your car; no soap and then you drive off.

Just imagine their disbelief if they ever saw a USA car wash!!! I totally cracked up; I couldn't believe what I saw and NO, I didn't give them $10.

My hubby thought I was telling a fib so I told him exactly where it was so he can check it out!!

donna

newmastersswimmer
March 2nd, 2007, 12:09 AM
How about Zoolander.....I thought it was hillarious....whenever I accidently stumble across that Top Model Reality show headed by Tyra Banks I think of the Steel Magnum pose...LOL!! Wasn't that our own beloved Rich though in that Merman comercial?...LOL!! :rofl: :rofl:

Newmastersswimmer:banana: :banana:

ensignada
March 2nd, 2007, 12:32 AM
Let's form a band...

"The Zodiac Fish"

You know, it occurs to me that if I can stand in front of a room full of strangers, dressed in gig-wear and banging on my bass, I should be able to dive off a little platform and swim in front of a crowd. At least noone would be shouting "freebird'.

SwimStud
March 2nd, 2007, 09:52 AM
At least noone would be shouting "freebird'.

Um don't bank on it there's always one!

I felt self conscious for my first event but I was more worried they might shout "Free Willy!" at the way I was puffing and blowing whenI surfaced from the pullouts... :joker:

Barb...bring your bass to the swim...
Peter Gunn on 2...ready?

newmastersswimmer
March 2nd, 2007, 10:32 AM
Barb do you play any free form Psychodelic bass riffs ALA Phil Lesh by chance?...If so we may fit like 2 peas in a pod....but hey I'm not Jerry Garcia....I play more of a Bobby style guitar and an occaissional pre-practiced lead or two. Somehow I don't see Rich as a Mickey Hart type drummer though...LOL!!

Newmastersswimmer

newmastersswimmer
March 2nd, 2007, 03:49 PM
I couldn't help but notice that each of the last 3 threads I posted on this morning sat competely dormant all day after I posted on them....LOL!! Am I really that boring / annoying now?....LOL! Well I am bumping this one up (even if it is a double post and I am a shameless attention seeker!!)....and the reason why is because I want to let everyone know that when I walk out of my office today I am off for a week!!.....Hello Spring Break Baby!!!
So Kyra, its too bad you have to wait at least one more week for yours!....So Sad!!:thhbbb: :thhbbb: ....LOL!!:rofl:

Newmastersswimmer :banana: :banana:

aquageek
March 2nd, 2007, 03:55 PM
Am I really that boring / annoying now?....LOL!

Yep, pretty much.

SwimStud
March 2nd, 2007, 03:57 PM
Yep, pretty much.

"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they believe sardines will be tossed into the sea."

Eric Cantona

newmastersswimmer
March 2nd, 2007, 04:05 PM
Thanks for your honesty (albeit brutal honesty perhaps...LOL!!) Mr. Geek sir.
Actually it was kind of a rhetorical question though. But none-the-less I guess I opened myself up a bit for that one...LOL!!

Newmastersswimmer

p.s. I thought Geek only perused through the serious SR threads exclusively??...hmmm...Am I the only one scratching my head a bit by his sudden appearance hear?...LOL!

Seagurl51
March 2nd, 2007, 04:12 PM
How about Zoolander.....I thought it was hillarious....whenever I accidently stumble across that Top Model Reality show headed by Tyra Banks I think of the Steel Magnum pose...LOL!! Wasn't that our own beloved Rich though in that Merman comercial?...LOL!! :rofl: :rofl:

Newmastersswimmer:banana: :banana:

Americas Next Top Model!! I love/hate that show! It's definately a guilty pleasure. I love Tyra though...I want to be her when I grow up....

They have marathons of all the seasons on Vh1 back to back to back...I'll watch it for hours....

SwimStud
March 2nd, 2007, 04:13 PM
Thinking of growing a "Wilkie Moustache" for Zones... thoughts?

Seagurl51
March 2nd, 2007, 04:14 PM
Thinking of growing a "Wilkie Moustache" for Zones... thoughts?

What's that?

SwimStud
March 2nd, 2007, 04:16 PM
What's that?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1310000/images/_1313247_a_wilkie_150.jpg

GB Olympic Gold Breastroker

newmastersswimmer
March 2nd, 2007, 04:19 PM
Oh I see....I used to call that a "pushbroom" moustache.....Are you sure you have enough time to grow one of those Rich?....I mean you need real natural testosterone and stuff for that.....And ...well your British and all...LOL!!:thhbbb:

Newmastersswimmer

SwimStud
March 2nd, 2007, 04:20 PM
Oh I see....I used to call that a "pushbroom" moustache".....Are you sure you have enough time to grow one of those Rich....I mean you need real natural testosterone and stuff for that.....And ...well your British and all...LOL!!:thhbbb:

Newmastersswimmer

I refer my esteemed colleague to the Mrs Bork quip made in PM yesterday

newmastersswimmer
March 2nd, 2007, 04:21 PM
I refer my esteemed colleague to the Mrs Bork quip made in PM yesterday

And you missed my reply?.....LOL!!:thhbbb: Remember the thread encourages all sorts of hijacking now....LOL!

Newmastersswimmer

SwimStud
March 2nd, 2007, 04:25 PM
And you missed my reply?.....LOL!!:thhbbb: Remember the thread encourages all sorts of hijacking now....LOL!

Newmastersswimmer

Yep I'm just going to wait around for condemnation...

Seagurl51
March 2nd, 2007, 05:52 PM
As long as you don't look as creepy as that guy, or like a felon, then I say go for it.

You could grow a mustache like my health teacher in high school. Full handlebar that went from ear to ear and basically swallowed his face. It looked kinda like he was wearing a kitten.....

FlyQueen
March 2nd, 2007, 05:54 PM
Kyra, what else do you expect, it was Idaho ... :shakeshead:

Seagurl51
March 2nd, 2007, 06:05 PM

It could have looked like a potato.

SwimStud
March 2nd, 2007, 07:07 PM
As long as you don't look as creepy as that guy, or like a felon, then I say go for it.

Kyra, honey! It's me, Rich. The creepy, felon look just can't happen...

newmastersswimmer
March 2nd, 2007, 09:04 PM

I'm sorry Kyra but that was a clear winner....and to think from one of your closest friends too....I think you have no choice but to even the score now....LOL!! :D

Newmastersswimmer

ensignada
March 2nd, 2007, 09:18 PM
Let's form a band...

"The Zodiac Fish"

How 'bout "(pick an adjective) Jammers"?

Barb...bring your bass to the swim...
Peter Gunn on 2...ready?

The bass? No problem. The amp? Major hernia possibility. That thing weighs a ton...and it's a small one. Plus, I question the wisdom of playing an electric instrument in a wet environment....

Barb do you play any free form Psychodelic bass riffs ALA Phil Lesh by chance?...If so we may fit like 2 peas in a pod....but hey I'm not Jerry Garcia....I play more of a Bobby style guitar and an occaissional pre-practiced lead or two. Somehow I don't see Rich as a Mickey Hart type drummer though...LOL!!

Newmastersswimmer

Sorry, Jim, I play mostly rock - largely because I was co-opted into my husband's band and that's what he likes and writes. I like folk music. :dunno: Our band has 'disbanded' (working on our solo albums, of course ). Hearing about all the musicians here is giving me the itch to play again.

:cool: (classic bass player look...)

newmastersswimmer
March 2nd, 2007, 09:52 PM
I like Folk Music too Barb....and pretty much Rock music of any kind too for that matter....I am more accustom to playing some folk type music than metal style rock though....but I am open to playing anything....I'm just a little bit more than a novice perhaps....but it would be fun to jam with you guys sometime anyway (if you guys don't mind having a slightly better than novice member that is). I like both of the proposed band names so far too. So Kyra can play keyboards and occaissionaly we could switch her around....maybe even have her do a bassoon solo during freebird....LOL!!

Seagurl51
March 2nd, 2007, 10:41 PM
Folk music and country.....I'm not sure I can be in this band.....;) If we add rock I'm in. I could write a rap....

I would zing Heather, but I got nothing. I like Chicago. Idaho really is a sitting duck. Y'all have seen Napolean Dynamite. I can't fight that.....

newmastersswimmer
March 3rd, 2007, 10:55 AM
I would zing Heather, but I got nothing. I like Chicago. Idaho really is a sitting duck. Y'all have seen Napolean Dynamite. I can't fight that.....

posted by Seagurl

I see your problem there Kyra....Maybe I could say...I don't know...offer you some friendly assistance with that then?....LOL!!:rofl:

Newmastersswimmer

Seagurl51
March 4th, 2007, 12:30 AM
Speaking of movies and music.....

Have you all seen Spinal Tap? Just watched it for the first time this weekend. Hilarious!

I couldn't find some of the ones you guys mentioned. I think I might have to go to the indie store to find them....yay! Special movie trip!! :banana:

chaos
March 4th, 2007, 12:43 AM
Speaking of movies and music.....

Have you all seen Spinal Tap? Just watched it for the first time this weekend. Hilarious!

see all the christopher guest stuff! best in show, a mighty wind, waiting for guffman etc. you also might enjoy le show (podcast from wkcr host harry shearer, bass player in spinal tap)
a lot of the stuff on my list is indy of foreign.

Peter Cruise
March 4th, 2007, 01:24 AM
The heritage of the ensemble work that David refers to also stretches to Second City TV and also connects to Princess Bride. There is nothing like a good, honest laugh.

newmastersswimmer
March 4th, 2007, 01:26 AM
I just rented and watched the Tenacious D movie "Pick of Destiny" tonight. I like Tenacious D a lot and Jack Black is funny...but I was a little dissapionted though...It has its funny moments and there is some good music there so it is worth renting if you like this band IMO....Before we watched it, we watched "School of Rock" on Cable (another Jack Black movie)....Now that is a great movie IMO! Those kids really are talented...the young 10 year old guitar player in that movie is pretty impressive. As far as Christopher Guest stuff David Barra mentioned...I've seen all of the 3 movies he listed and thought they were all hillarious! How about A Clockwork Orange? That was pretty out there! There's actually a spoof scene in Tenacious D's movie that is based on A Clockwork Orange that was pretty funny I thought.

Newmastersswimmer

chaos
March 4th, 2007, 10:30 AM
Clockwork..wow... Kubrick was a true visionary.

swimr4life
March 4th, 2007, 01:41 PM
see all the christopher guest stuff! best in show, a mighty wind, waiting for guffman etc. you also might enjoy le show (podcast from wkcr host harry shearer, bass player in spinal tap)
a lot of the stuff on my list is indy of foreign.

Best in Show is one of my all-time favorite movies. It is hillarious and gets funnier everytime I watch it. :lolup:

chaos
March 4th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Best in Show is one of my all-time favorite movies. It is hillarious and gets funnier everytime I watch it. :lolup:

there was a documentary on bravo about dog show people that was just as funny....not sure they were trying to be.

newmastersswimmer
March 4th, 2007, 02:03 PM

Best in Show was hillarious but of the Christopher Guest movies David listed, I think I liked "A Mighty Wind" the best.....and it ties into the folk music theme we were discussing earlier. That movie made me laugh until I was practically crying it was so funny in parts!....especially that really cheesy large folk band at the reunion show who's name escapes me now....those guys were so hillarious!!

Newmastersswimmer

Seagurl51
March 4th, 2007, 03:50 PM
I haven't seen Best in Show yet, but A Mighty Wind was great! ....I'll add Best in Show to my list.....

aquaFeisty
March 4th, 2007, 10:49 PM
Best in Show is my absolute favorite of the Christopher Guest ensemble movies... there are more great quote-ables in that movies than can be believed. A close second fave is Spinal Tap.

But Princess Bride remains my all-time favorite movie! :D

ensignada
March 4th, 2007, 10:51 PM
"Spinal Tap" has so many great lines....I can just hear someone explaining to his/her spouse that they have to get the lastest Fastskin, 'cause it "goes to eleven". :rofl:

In all those films, Fred Willard is one of my favorites. I recently saw "For Your Consideration" and could barely catch my breath when he was onscreen.

Does anyone remember "Fernwood Tonight" or "America Tonight"? He and Martin Mull were pure genius. (Rich, this probably isn't on your cultural radar, but if you can find an episode or two, I think you'd love it.)

Seagurl51
March 4th, 2007, 10:57 PM
But Princess Bride remains my all-time favorite movie! :D

I like Princess Bride, don't get me wrong, but I've never quite seen the appeal. Seems like everybody and his cousin just loves it. Care to explain your reasons? Nobody has ever really given a good reason why it's so great.

Maybe it goes to eleven and I just missed it......

aquaFeisty
March 4th, 2007, 11:08 PM
Princess Bride has, just like the grandfather says, "Fencing, fighting, torture, revenge, giants, monsters, chases, escapes, true love, miracles."

AND it has a totally happy ending!! And Cary Elwes never ever looked so good in a movie after that one. And he has a great accent. And you can always quote the Impressive Clergyman. C'mon... What more can you ask for in a movie?

You could, of course, just question my taste!!! Another movie that ranks in my all-time top 5 is The Goonies. :D

Seagurl51
March 4th, 2007, 11:25 PM
Like I said, I like it, but it's not the best movie ever, IMHO. If you makes you feel better my favorite movie is probably Van Wilder....so I don't exactly have impeciable (sp) taste....if I had to pick a favorite that is. It's such a hard choice!!

Goonies rocks! Hey You Guuuuyyyysssss!!!!

Peter Cruise
March 4th, 2007, 11:58 PM
Carrie- you left out the fact that Princess Bride is also very, very funny.

I thought the new Christopher Guest movie (just out on DVD) was disappointing.

If you ever want a magical experience rent The Secret of Roan Inish

poolraat
March 5th, 2007, 12:03 AM
I agree with Carrie/Fiesty about The Princess Bride. I can't explain why I (and the rest of my family) like it so much we just do. It's just one of these feel good movies.

newmastersswimmer
March 5th, 2007, 09:11 AM
I agree with Carrie/Fiesty about The Princess Bride. I can't explain why I (and the rest of my family) like it so much we just do. It's just one of these feel good movies.

Some classic quotes/lines from The Princess Bride:

I was eleven years old. And when I was strong enough, I dedicated my life to the study of fencing. So the next time we meet, I will not fail. I will go up to the six-fingered man and say, "Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line!

Your true love lives. And you marry another. True Love saved her in the Fire Swamp, and she treated it like garbage. And that's what she is, the Queen of Refuse. So bow down to her if you want, bow to her. Bow to the Queen of Slime, the Queen of Filth, the Queen of Putrescence.

Newmastersswimmer

SwimStud
March 5th, 2007, 01:59 PM
Home Movie of the year...

Jim Bork..back in the day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAtUfWMpvAQ&eurl=

ROFLCAKES

newmastersswimmer
March 5th, 2007, 02:25 PM
Home Movie of the year...

Jim Bork..back in the day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAtUfWMpvAQ&eurl=

ROFLCAKES

In addition to the second quote I listed from the Princess Bride:

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line!

.....add to that....And an even slightly less well-known blunder than either of these (but just as important none-the-less)....Never instigate a puffball war and/or limerick war with the Bork on the USMS discussion board!! Think of the innocent bystanders!!...LOL!!:rofl: :rofl:

Newmastersswimmer

Seagurl51
March 5th, 2007, 02:27 PM
I can't believe you used Saved by The Bell.

That's sacreligious!! I miss that show. :(

SwimStud
March 5th, 2007, 02:37 PM
I can't believe you used Saved by The Bell.

That's sacreligious!! I miss that show. :(

You still got the AC Slater life size poster on the back of your dorm door don't you Kyra?

Seagurl51
March 5th, 2007, 02:38 PM
You still got the AC Slater life size poster on the back of your dorm door don't you Kyra?

Nope, it's Zack.

SwimStud
March 5th, 2007, 02:40 PM
Nope, it's Zack.

I think that you mean Screech...

:joker: :joker: :joker:

newmastersswimmer
March 5th, 2007, 02:42 PM

No thats the poster on your wall Rich....Lets get it straight now...LOL!!:thhbbb: :rofl:

Newmastersswimmer :banana:

Seagurl51
March 5th, 2007, 02:42 PM

Why would I want a poster of you in my room?

;)

SwimStud
March 5th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Why would I want a poster of you in my room?

;)

Oh...how much did Bork pay you for that one, Barbie?

Seagurl51
March 5th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Jim beat me to it! A double punch...oops....

Seagurl51
March 5th, 2007, 02:45 PM
Oh...how much did Bork pay you for that one, Barbie?

We're in negotiations for a dream house.

I'm willing to sell my zings for a price. ;)

SwimStud
March 5th, 2007, 02:46 PM
We're in negotiations for a dream house.

Yup Jim is built EXACTLY like Ken...you'll be very happy together...
:rofl: :rofl:

Seagurl51
March 5th, 2007, 02:47 PM
:rofl: :rofl:

Ouch! I can feel that burn from here. :lolup:

newmastersswimmer
March 5th, 2007, 06:35 PM
Jim beat me to it! A double punch...oops....

Congrats Kyra....Your zing about Screech was far superior to mine....I must now bow down to your superior slamming abilities :bow: :bow:

posted by Little Richard

In Ken's wildest dreams!! Looks like Richie Rich is going to end up built like a human doughnut (ALA the limerick wars) if he's not careful!!....LOL!!:thhbbb:

Newmastersswimmer

Seagurl51
March 5th, 2007, 10:23 PM
Congrats Kyra....Your zing about Screech was far superior to mine....I must now bow down to your superior slamming abilities :bow: :bow:

I rule. :D

~Wren~
March 5th, 2007, 11:51 PM
Going back just a bit . . .

I like Princess Bride, don't get me wrong, but I've never quite seen the appeal. Seems like everybody and his cousin just loves it. Care to explain your reasons? Nobody has ever really given a good reason why it's so great.

Oh, I'm with Carrie on this - Cary Elwes = yum! Cary Elwes in a sword fight? *swoon* Carrie, have you seen Lady Jane?

The Fortress
March 6th, 2007, 12:01 AM
I rule. :D

Yes, you do. :bow:

I don't. I have never watched the Princess Bride. Can I still stay on the thread?

I think if I do it will involve hijacking.:thhbbb:

Seagurl51
March 6th, 2007, 01:07 AM
I think I broke my toe. And I just wanted to share......

Yea....that's it. Night all!

aquaFeisty
March 6th, 2007, 08:57 AM
Going back just a bit . . .

Oh, I'm with Carrie on this - Cary Elwes = yum! Cary Elwes in a sword fight? *swoon* Carrie, have you seen Lady Jane?

NO! I haven't seen Lady Jane, Wren. Does Cary (we're on a first-name basis) look as good in that as in Princess Bride? Oh my... I see a trip to Blockbuster in my future!

aquaFeisty
March 6th, 2007, 08:58 AM

Really? That sucks! I hope it feels better this morning...

goggles
March 6th, 2007, 09:08 AM

Know how you feel.... Jammed my little finger in the anti-wave lane rope yesterday and think its busted :shakeshead:

newmastersswimmer
March 6th, 2007, 09:14 AM
Sorry to hear abut your toe Kyra....Will it make you feel better if I tell you that I am sitting at my desk at home enjoying Spring Break right now while you continue to slave away at school?....LOL!! (seriously though...I hope your toe gets better....I will think of your toe tonight when I'm on my second or third Rita o.k.)

Newmastersswimmer

SwimStud
March 6th, 2007, 09:35 AM

Pfffffft! Ignore it. Broken toes are meaningless. Ballet dancer have broken toes almost as par for the course. I broke my big toe once, whilst drunk..and jumping over something (no Bork not my neighbours window) I didn't feel it until the next day...

Really? That sucks! I hope it feels better this morning...

if it's broken...doubtful....not that I'm a medical expert or anything LOL

ensignada
March 6th, 2007, 09:43 AM

Ouch! One way to tell if it's broken (rather than as just as painful bruise) is to look for signs of bruising where your toes meet your foot. If it's all a pretty purple, you've probably broken it. I broke my little toe once while chasing my dog through the house: it's amazing what such a little appendage does for you....

aquaFeisty
March 6th, 2007, 09:51 AM
if it's broken...doubtful....not that I'm a medical expert or anything LOL

Note: Kyra said she thought she'd broken her toe. In which case, it's possible that she did not actually break her toe... thus, it could feel better this morning!

SwimStud
March 6th, 2007, 10:12 AM
Note: Kyra said she thought she'd broken her toe. In which case, it's possible that she did not actually break her toe... thus, it could feel better this morning!

lol feisty...one tiny little rattle of your box and here you come...

with the "Note:" stuff. Were you bobbing your head at me when you typed that too ;) :p

Seagurl51
March 6th, 2007, 01:25 PM
I hate lane lines! Lane lines are fingers are not a good mix. I broke the littlest bone in the tip of my finger playing basketball once. Get a split if it hurts really bad, it'll make it feel better.

My toe isn't bruised, but it's a little swollen (it's gone down). So it's buddy taped to my other toe. Nothin' else I can do about it.

Ballet dancers toes scare me.

scyfreestyler
March 6th, 2007, 06:27 PM
I have broken a toe two times in the last 4-5 years and I can tell you with great certainty that there was no doubt in my mind that a bone had been broken. As for treatment...nothing. Just some tape and some time. I will say that my turns suffered a bit while the healing was taking place, particularly the pushoff part of the turn. Ouch.

Aqua Jock
March 6th, 2007, 07:46 PM
Need someone to kiss it to make it feel better?
Any volunteers?

AJ

I hate lane lines! Lane lines are fingers are not a good mix. I broke the littlest bone in the tip of my finger playing basketball once. Get a split if it hurts really bad, it'll make it feel better.

My toe isn't bruised, but it's a little swollen (it's gone down). So it's buddy taped to my other toe. Nothin' else I can do about it.

Ballet dancers toes scare me.

SwimStud
March 6th, 2007, 08:02 PM
*looks around* :dunno: