PDA

View Full Version : Where to swim in Madison

stevesugar
February 28th, 2007, 03:28 PM
My daughter is soon to graduate from college and is planning to spend the summer in Madison, Wisconsin. she was wondering if there are any open water (lake) swims scheduled near by and if it is common to swim in the lakes in Madison. Does it ever get warm enough?) Also, where can one swim laps (cheaply) near the University for a non student???

dpflyer
March 7th, 2007, 05:53 PM
Steve - Boy, you're lucky! I don't check this site very often. I will be coaching Masters this summer at the new City Pool, located on Olin Avenue.
Go to http://www.cityofmadison.com/parks/index.htm My program will start June 11 and run through the end of August - M,W,F. The cost will be $50/mth. Contact Bonnie Griswold for a registration form: bonniegriswold@sbcglobal.net The time will be 6-7 on M,W and 6-7:15 on F.
This is an 8-lane x 25m pool but we will only have 6 lanes for Masters, the other two reserved for lap swimmers.

Open Water swimming is great in Madison! The city is blessed with not one, not two but three great swimming lakes! Wingra the smallest is nearest the UW and is where o/w swimming starts the earliest (June). But, it becomes weedy and scummy later in the summer and people move to the larger lakes, Mendota and Monona. Lake Monona is the site for Ironman Wisconsin in September and the USMS sanctioned MOWS ("Madison Open Water Swim") in August. In Baraboo, about an hour from Madison, is Devils Lake a very popular swimming lake.

If I left anything out please reply to dickpitman@hotmail.com or call me, 800-527-7425, x125. Thanks again for writing! Dick Pitman