PDA

View Full Version : Training Target times

The Tartan Taddy
March 2nd, 2007, 11:05 AM
Hi,

My Coach does not take into account a push off start vs a Dive start when we calculate target times in a training schedule.
I understood the rule of thumb should be around +2 secs for a push off on to your target.

I just wondered what other swimmers/coaches views are on this ?

The Tartan Taddy
March 7th, 2007, 07:06 AM
Hi again,

My first post does not seem to have captured the imagination it would seem :dunno: .

I realise this maybe a fairly simplistic question, but as a non youth swimmer come born again master swimmer at a late age, I just wondered what is norm, tks.

haffathot
March 7th, 2007, 09:26 AM
i think 2 seconds sounds a little long to me. i'd say about a second and a half, maybe, on average. the trouble with setting a fixed time advantage to a dive start vs a push start is that different people dive and push off differently. if you are hitting a 32 on a 50, though, i'd think maybe a second and a half. it'd be at least a full second, but i don't think it would be two, unless you have a really superb dive start. your best bet is timing yourself for both, but not both on the same day.

--Sean

The Tartan Taddy
March 7th, 2007, 10:43 AM
Sean tks,

As we set our target times based on our PB's , I never seem to achieve them which is a little dis-couraging , and I put this down to what I have said before Dive vs push off.

I'll take your simple advise and do both on separate days, and maybe split the difference, see if my coach notices :laugh2:

He is very good , sometimes I wonder if its just psychology on his part.