PDA

View Full Version : Should/could we have a 'nutrition' section?

USMSarah
March 14th, 2007, 05:03 PM
Just a thought...

I was thinking that maybe we could share our 'healthy' recipes (or whatever) since our diet plays a big part of success in the pool... hey, we are athletes, right?

I know I could use some more ideas/help in the kitchen!

If there is already a thread like this or a previous one bombed... I apologize ahead of time.

Thanks,
S

Peter Cruise
March 14th, 2007, 05:40 PM
Seriously, dark chocolate and good red wine in moderation (unless you set a new PB, then go crazy).

w11j7b
March 14th, 2007, 09:25 PM
Yes. I know lot of swimmers, myself included, are notorious for exploiting the high metabolism that comes with swimming and eating whatever the hell they please. However, I believe all swimmers (and people in general) can benefit from a healthy diet. A nutritional section would be a nice addition to this forum.

blainesapprentice
March 15th, 2007, 11:09 AM
I agree! I live in my own apt at college, and have to cook for myself. Too often that means just putting on a pot of pasta and having that for lunch or dinner (or both!) Some easy, quick heatlthy recipes would be great!

Slowswim
March 15th, 2007, 11:28 AM
How about a quick cheap and great salad:

Slice a tomato, put a basil leaf on it. Add a slice of mozzarella add a dash or two of balsamic vinegarette and cover with olive oil.

goes great with most any wine!:drink:
</IMG>

Killer
March 15th, 2007, 10:56 PM
Hey all,
I have two hobbies, swimming and cooking. I would love to share some recipies with you all. I am a slow swimmer but I can cook, ask my kids. Look for a spatzle maker from Williams and sonoma, good carbs. It is a German style pasta that is good with butter and nutmeg. cant say it makes me swim faster, but it tastes good.

USMSarah
March 15th, 2007, 11:16 PM
We should do this! I've got a recipe that I'm dyin' to post!

What do you think forum mods?

blainesapprentice
March 16th, 2007, 10:04 AM
Hey all,
I have two hobbies, swimming and cooking. I would love to share some recipies with you all. I am a slow swimmer but I can cook, ask my kids. Look for a spatzle maker from Williams and sonoma, good carbs. It is a German style pasta that is good with butter and nutmeg. cant say it makes me swim faster, but it tastes good.

hey, I'm pretty much all German, but our culture is lost on us here...but for a school project in middle school or high school we had to make a main dish and dessert thats native to our "home country" so I made spatzle...it was indeed good:-D.

nancytris
March 18th, 2007, 03:14 PM
I am waiting for this new posting discussion to be okayed... am very much interested.

Killer
March 18th, 2007, 10:27 PM
I have to add a couple 1000 yards on my workout after eating Spatzle but it is worth it.

The Aussie
March 20th, 2007, 01:37 AM
:banana: Yes, definitely!!! I'm a a pasta and rice extraordinairre!!!

The Aussie
March 20th, 2007, 01:38 AM
Hey Killer, what's spatzle? :confused:

Slowswim
March 23rd, 2007, 12:47 PM
Hey Killer, what's spatzle? :confused:

German egg noodles.

Definately Yes on this Thread!:drink:

goggles
March 23rd, 2007, 05:09 PM
Nutrition section would be great!

:applaud: :drink:

Killer
March 27th, 2007, 11:28 PM
Williams and Sonoma have a Spatzel maker and Recipie. I like to rinse it with very cold water and then fry it in butter onions and some nutmeg. I get tired sometimes of eating the same Italian pasta over and over. I have been told by my wife that I get a little OCD about cooking sometimes, but she likes the food. I also realize that if I eat the wrong foods the day before a meet, I seriously tank! Nutrition has got to be a very important discussion for us all.

USMSarah
April 10th, 2007, 10:13 AM
Well, if I had to take a guess... since it's been close to a month that I posted this question - they're probably not going to make one.

:(

If anyone wants a relatively healthy Taco Soup recipe... PM me.

TomBrooklyn
November 2nd, 2007, 12:32 PM
I don't think there's enough people using this forum who are also strongly into nutrition to support much of a nutrition forum.

You would find a lot more information on an internet forum dedicated to nutrition that was visited by athletes of all persuations, medical and health professionals, and all others interested in nutrition.

Unfortunately, such a forum does not exist. I've looked. If one ever starts up, let me know. Cheers.

ViveBene
November 3rd, 2007, 11:36 AM
I don't think there's enough people using this forum who are also strongly into nutrition to support much of a nutrition forum.

That is my impression as well. I have seen threads on what to eat before, during, and after workouts or competition, but little on nutrition per se. If there is interest, a nutrition thread will emerge as a long-running thing, like the "Ask Ande" thread.

P.S. I have just started a thread, "Swimming-related nutrition," in the forum General Swimming-Related Discussions. Post away!

Regards,

VB :coffee:

Sylvia
November 12th, 2007, 10:48 PM
:banana:Yes, I do think we should have a nutrition discussion. We all want to swim for fitness, and nutrition plays a major part in this. It helps to know what works best for training before and after a swim. It would be great to have a nutritionist advise.

Sylvia

JMiller
November 20th, 2007, 02:30 AM
The question was raised about
nutrition, and the hope was there
might be a qualified member in
our group that could elaborate
more appropriately on this topic.

Perhaps one of the good members
of this forum could invite a
nutritionist to the discussion.

In the short term, it seems that
what you eat should be directly
related to how you train...

In other words, sport specific
diets can enhance the recovery
time and improve performance.

The over-all composition of your
diet may be similar on a weekly
scale, but it is the timing of
when and what you eat that becomes
crucial to recovery for each event.

For example, a distance swimmer should
consider eating more balanced foods to
replace the blood glucose, and less
protien after a long work-out, or race...

Whereas a sprinter should eat higher amounts
of protien as soon as possible after a
sprint set, or competition, followed by
balanced foods later in the day.

The timing is the crucial part. Diluted
electrolytes mixed with water during an
intense set can accelerate recovery times,
but appears to have limited benefit when
your body is at rest. Perhaps a
nutritionist can explain why that is...

Also, your metabolic rate can be changed
by when and what you eat. A common
misconception is that if you want to trim
your body you should eat less. What actually
happens though is your body switches to
survival mode, and is more likely to store
blood glucose, and burn your muscle instead.
This has a direct impact on your metabolism,
making it very difficult to break the cycle.

Instead, you need to trick your body into
thinking that food supplies are constant,
and this will ensure that you don't burn
your muscle, which will increase your
metabolism.

The actual total calories throughout the
day could still be less then before, but
you should break up those meals into smaller
portions and eat more often.

For example, instead of eating three meals a day,
take that same food and split it up, and eat 7-8
times a day. This will keep your engine burning
longer, and automatically switches your metabolic
rate. After several weeks and months of this,
you should be excited by the improvement.

ViveBene
November 20th, 2007, 08:37 AM
Hi, JMiller,

This would be a great post on the "Swimming-Related Nutrition" thread I started (under General Swimming Related Discussions, more or less as a test to gauge interest in the topic). If I figure out how to link it here I will; otherwise you can find it in the first page or so of topics.

Athletes in general pay more importance to types and times of food ingested, metabolism, nutrient balance, and so on. I think it would be very helpful to have an ongoing, focused thread but see insufficient support for a separate forum.

(My 1.5 cents after taxes.)

Regards, VB