PDA

View Full Version : basic questions on usage of forums

Arni
December 9th, 2002, 12:22 PM
The forums are interesting and fun to see, but I have a fewbasic questions for which I have not been able to locate answers.

Where are the instructions for basic use of these forums?

My specific questions are the following:
1. How does one mark a single thread read without marking the entire set read?
2. How do you get back threads that have been marked read, but want to be reviewed?
3. What do the symbols mean to the right of the thread?
4. Is there a way to get only new threads from some forums and not all?
5. How do you load a personal avitar (one that is not on the list?

Thank you.

matysekj
December 10th, 2002, 12:38 PM
Hi Arni,

Several of your questions are addressed in various parts of the FAQ (linked near upper right part of the forums pages). While your questions may not be the ones asked in the FAQ, much of the info can be found by reading answers to related questions there. I'll do my best to answer yours:

Q: Where are the instructions for basic use of these forums?

A: There aren't any that I know of. The FAQ has a lot of information regarding specific common questions about the use of the forums, however.

1. How does one mark a single thread read without marking the entire set read?

You can't as far as I know. I am a little hazy exactly on how the marking of read/unread threads works, but here's my understanding. While you're visiting the forums, a session is created for you. This session times out after 15 minutes of inactivity. At that point, all posts that were marked as new when you started that session are then marked as read, regardless of whether you actually opened them and read them. Clicking the 'Mark all fourms read' link just does this same action while you are in the middle of a current session.

2. How do you get back threads that have been marked read, but want to be reviewed?

You can visit all threads on the forums at any time. By these two questions, I'm guessing that you typically open up the forums home page and click on 'View New Posts' right away and then look through just those messages. I'm more of a window shopper when I use the forums, so I don't have much (or any) experience with the View New Posts feature and where it leads you, so unfortunately I can't offer advice from experience with this method of surfing the forums.

3. What do the symbols mean to the right of the thread?

I'm not sure which symbols you mean here. Most of the symbols/images used in the forum software will give you a little hint as to their meaning via a pop-up message when you leave your mouse over them for a second or two. In the list of threads for any forum or for the View New Posts feature, I see 3-4 images per thread listed. Two or three are on the left side of the listing. The one on the far left is the only one I see that doesn't give the pop-up hint when placing your mouse over it. This icon changes for each thread, and the meaning of these different icons is shown at the bottom of the page when you open any forum by clicking on the forum. That definition of the icons is not shown at the bottom of the View New Posts page - I may be able to fix that.

4. Is there a way to get only new threads from some forums and not all?

Not that I know of, at least not from the View New Posts feature. If you browse around the forums, watch the icons to the left of the forums and threads listed. The icons for forums are yellow when there are new posts in that forum since your last visit. On a page that lists threads for a forum, a down arrow icon appears next to the thread title for all threads that have new posts since your last visit.

5. How do you load a personal avitar (one that is not on the list?

The forum setup is such that you can upload a personal avatar after you've posted 30 times. The images that you can upload for this purpose are limited to a maximum of 64 x 64 pixels and 4K bytes, so you can't load a large image. To upload a personal avatar, follow the Account Info link at the top of the page and then click on Edit Options. Your avatar settings are at the bottom of the resulting page.

hjames1000
August 15th, 2007, 11:55 AM
I created my registeration. I want to create a thread and I can't find the the "create new thread button"? is it called something else? can anyone tell me how to create a new thread please....

ALM
August 15th, 2007, 12:06 PM
I created my registeration. I want to create a thread and I can't find the the "create new thread button"? is it called something else? can anyone tell me how to create a new thread please....

1) Go to the Forums page, http://forums.usms.org

2) Select the forum to post in (for example, "General Swimming-Related Discussions")

3) In the upper-left-hand corner of the page you will see a "New Thread" button

4) Click that button

Anna Lea