PDA

View Full Version : What's your personality?

globuggie
April 21st, 2007, 04:19 PM
I recently took the Myers-Briggs personality test as part of my psychology class, and the results really interested me. As a project, I'm comparing Myers-Briggs types of different groups of people, so I'd appreciate it if you forumites would take one of the tests and post your results and/or how you think your personality affects your swimming. They all test the same things, but vary in length and have different types of questions.

Short version (http://similarminds.com/jung_word_pair.html)
Slightly longer version (http://similarminds.com/jung.html)
Another version (http://similarminds.com/jung_word.html)
Myers-Briggs & Enneagram (http://similarminds.com/embj.html)

(BTW, I'm an ISTJ - very logical & organized. I swim because I like the organized workouts & practices, and I can compete and know exactly how well I did based on my time.)

Seagurl51
April 21st, 2007, 04:29 PM
I'm an ENFP. Not sure how it ties to my swimming, but give me sometime to think and if you really need it then I'll be able to tell you.

geochuck
April 21st, 2007, 04:40 PM
This is me, probably very close to the way I am.

ESTP - "Promotor". Action! When present, things begin to happen. Fiercely competitive. Entrepreneur. Often uses shock effect to get attention. Negotiator par excellence. 4.3% of total population.

islandsox
April 21st, 2007, 05:01 PM
I took the short version test. I am an ESTJ an ADMINISTRATOR; in touch with external environment, Very responsible; Pillar of Strength: 8.7% of population. I'd say this is pretty much true and as for swimming, being responsible also makes me dedicated which I have always been toward swimming.

donna

Warren
April 21st, 2007, 05:44 PM
I'm an ISTJ

gull
April 21st, 2007, 05:47 PM
ISTJ--"Trustee."

I don't think the quiz picked up on my sarcasm and dry wit.

The Fortress
April 21st, 2007, 06:22 PM
I took the short version twice. Once an ESTJ, once an ESTP. Depends on my mood. I think my formerly dominant logical-analytical side is hitting the skids since I quit working full time and had kids. Now, I'd rather play than work.

I think being both extroverted (E) and thinking (T)/judging(J) has helped me seek out advice on the forum and refine my training and strokes. :laugh2: Wouldn't have known what an SDK was otherwise. My competitive nature definitely helps me swim faster faster as well. :lolup:

Gull:

I think it missed it too. It happens apparently.

poolraat
April 21st, 2007, 06:29 PM
ISTJ - "Trustee". Decisiveness in practical affairs. Guardian of time- honored institutions. Dependable. 11.6% of total population.

3strokes
April 21st, 2007, 06:45 PM
ISTJ--"Trustee."

I don't think the quiz picked up on my sarcasm and dry wit.

Si did "me" turn out to be ( ISTJ on the short version. However, All items had only four choices, I would have preferred five, since on several of them I would have placed myself on the 3rd of five. 2nd or 3rd of four was -basically- a toss of the mental coin.

On the longer version (five choices) I was an ISFJ.

However some of the questions I just marked even though I would have preferred them to be phrased differently.

For example: I am very open
Very Accurate................Very Inaccurate
I'm very open with very few (maybe one or two people).
With 99% of the people I know, I'm reserved.

Make friends easily.
I can make friends easily but only with very few people.
I can make acquaintances easily and be and feel comfortable with them (the acquaintances) but my friendship is very hard to earn. (Not that I think that I'm sooooooooooo special that it would take huge efforts to earn my friendship)!

On the "another version" I turned to be ISTJ (again)

Anyway that's who (or what?) the test(s) say I am.

3strokes
April 21st, 2007, 06:48 PM
Poolraat
Your signature worries me. (emphasis on "me" not on "your")

Don't worry about avoiding temptation. As you grow older, it will avoid you.

You see, I can resist anything, except "temptation".

newmastersswimmer
April 21st, 2007, 07:11 PM
This is me, probably very close to the way I am.

ESTP - "Promotor". Action! When present, things begin to happen. Fiercely competitive. Entrepreneur. Often uses shock effect to get attention. Negotiator par excellence. 4.3% of total population.

Thats also what I got.....Kinda of scarey to share similar attributes with a ....gulp....with a Canadian!! LOL!

Newmastersswimmer

scyfreestyler
April 21st, 2007, 07:16 PM
ESTJ-Administrator.

Tough call really. I think at one point or another I have fit the description of each and every one of those options given to me. The version I have taken for employment is MUCH longer and probably more accurate than the shortcut version I selected here.

3strokes
April 21st, 2007, 07:20 PM
Thats also what I got.....Kinda of scarey to share similar attributes with a ....gulp....with a Canadian!! LOL!

Newmastersswimmer

Wait until you hear from the other 50% of Canadians (as far as I know -or realize- we're only four........... in random order........ Peter Cruise..........GeoChuck..............Lindsay and Yours truly); two have bared their ...........souls (I was going to type "poles"; that's how much y'all are affecting the rest of us), we have yet to hear from the other two.

ALM
April 21st, 2007, 07:51 PM
Rebecca,

I took the "real" Myers-Briggs many years ago. I'm an ENTJ. I scored at the extreme end of the scale on the E, T, and J. I was somewhere near the middle on the N-S scale.

Anna Lea

Sam Perry
April 21st, 2007, 07:57 PM
ISTJ--"Trustee."

I don't think the quiz picked up on my sarcasm and dry wit.\

I have yet to pick up on that either...

ensignada
April 21st, 2007, 08:34 PM
INFJ

I tested 20 years ago (and now) as an INFJ, whose goal in life is to have a goal in life. I still identify with that. The last time I scored a very high I, this time it was almost split evenly. I still think I'm much more I than E: I like being around people but I need my alone time!

I think being an introvert helps me swimming because I workout alone. Also, entertaining myself while swimming longer sets isn't a problem 'cause I like my own company. Plus, swimming allows me some of the alone time I crave.

Wow, being alone in the water and getting to be with cool people out of the water...swimming may very well be my perfect sport. :cool:

Gerdrick
April 21st, 2007, 08:53 PM
INFJ - "Author". Sounds pretty much like me. :)

slknight
April 21st, 2007, 09:12 PM
I didn't take it just now, but I've taken the short one several times as well as the "real" one many years ago. I always come out the exact same thing:

ISTJ

knelson
April 21st, 2007, 09:20 PM
I'm an ISTJ. Seems to be lots of those here!

Sam Perry
April 21st, 2007, 10:06 PM
ESFJ

SFJ - "Seller". Most sociable of all types. Nurturer of harmony. Outstanding host or hostesses. 12.3% of total population.

Fits me like a glove. I'll host any party and sell you the shirt off my back...

The Fortress
April 21st, 2007, 10:11 PM
I'm an ISTJ. Seems to be lots of those here!

In my own personal experience, my past observations only, I think many swimmers seem to fall into the ISTJ category. (I think I used to have more "I" before I moved to "E.") Obviously, there are many notable exceptions. Including my kid who is a big time ESTP and makes me look shy. Oh, and that crazy Sam Perry guy too, selling his shirts and all.

newmastersswimmer
April 21st, 2007, 10:15 PM
Wait until you hear from the other 50% of Canadians (as far as I know -or realize- we're only four........... in random order........ Peter Cruise..........GeoChuck..............Lindsay and Yours truly); two have bared their ...........souls (I was going to type "poles"; that's how much y'all are affecting the rest of us), we have yet to hear from the other two.

I see you were not the same as me and GeoChuck. Somehow I don't think that Peter is the same either just from getting to know him on the site. He probably isn't as messy as I am....I definitely was all the way towards messy...but I have no idea how that contributed to my overall classification.
Perhaps Lindsay and Cruise will eventually take the test....It will be interesting to see how the 4 Canadian posters compare with one another.

Bork

The Fortress
April 21st, 2007, 10:19 PM
messy...but I have no idea how that contributed to my overall classification. Bork

Messy, among other things, probably took you from ESTJ to ESTP. I'm not that messy, and I am punctual. I bet you're not! LOL.

Well, maybe Mr. Biblioman will come tell us if he is an author or not. Since he's not a loud flyer, he probably won't be an ESTP. We will have to await FlyQueen's announcment on that.

What the heck does Kyra's acronym stand for? Crazy liberal sleepy college student?

SwimStud
April 21st, 2007, 10:20 PM
Extroverted (E) 50% Introverted (I) 50%
Intuitive (N) 54.17% Sensing (S) 45.83%
Feeling (F) 70.83% Thinking (T) 29.17%
Judging (J) 54.17% Perceiving (P) 45.83%

ENFJ - "Persuader". Outstanding leader of groups. Can be aggressive at helping others to be the best that they can be. 2.5% of total population.

Seagurl51
April 21st, 2007, 10:35 PM
What the heck does Kyra's acronym stand for? Crazy liberal sleepy college student?

More than likely.

I can't remember exactly. I'll look it up and post it.

Ok...couldn't find it. But it had something to do with a journalist and reading people.

globuggie
April 22nd, 2007, 09:02 AM
Thanks everyone - keep the results coming!

In case you're interested, from my other surveys I found that artists are usually N's and scientists are usually J's, with no strong trends in the other three letters.

dorothyrde
April 22nd, 2007, 09:35 AM
ESTJ

Extroverted (E) 68.57% Introverted (I) 31.43%
Sensing (S) 65.52% Intuitive (N) 34.48%
Thinking (T) 58.62% Feeling (F) 41.38%
Judging (J) 73.33% Perceiving (P) 26.67%

Enneagram Test Results
Type 1 Perfectionism |||||||||||||||| 70%
Type 2 Helpfulness |||||||||||||||||| 76%
Type 3 Image Awareness |||||||||||| 50%
Type 4 Sensitivity |||| 20%
Type 5 Detachment |||||||||||| 43%
Type 6 Anxiety |||||| 30%
Type 7 Adventurousness |||||||||||||| 60%
Type 8 Aggressiveness |||||||||||||||| 66%
Type 9 Calmness |||||||||||||||| 66%

type score type behavior motivation
2 23 I must be helpful and caring to be happy.
1 21 I must be perfect and good to be happy.
8 20 I must be strong and in control to be happy.
9 20 I must be peaceful and easy to get along with to be happy.
7 18 I must be high and entertained to be happy.

USMSarah
April 22nd, 2007, 10:26 AM
ISFJ - "Conservator". Desires to be of service and to minister to individual needs - very loyal. 13.8% of total population.

I took the short version... it seems very accurate!

RecreationalSwimmer
April 22nd, 2007, 11:01 AM
GENI-ous

No, seriously, I don't believe in Myers-Briggs. You can't get an unbiased evaluation when you're doing your own profiling. Akin to psychoanalysis and astrology.

But it's a terrific way to start a conversation, I'll grant that!

gull
April 22nd, 2007, 03:11 PM
I have yet to pick up on that either...

Might I suggest the "Once in a Lifetime Offer" thread?

http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=7975

ensignada
April 22nd, 2007, 08:39 PM
Extroverted (E) 50% Introverted (I) 50%
Intuitive (N) 54.17% Sensing (S) 45.83%
Feeling (F) 70.83% Thinking (T) 29.17%

ENFJ - "Persuader". Outstanding leader of groups. Can be aggressive at helping others to be the best that they can be. 2.5% of total population.

Eerie, SwimStud, our profiles are very similar...off only by a percent or two in each category...my I was 52 and E 48. The others are close too. Perhaps ye are mah long lost kin?

Aside: We say my mother-in-law is a JJJJ.

ensignada
April 22nd, 2007, 08:40 PM
GENI-ous

No, seriously, I don't believe in Myers-Briggs. You can't get an unbiased evaluation when you're doing your own profiling. Akin to psychoanalysis and astrology.

But it's a terrific way to start a conversation, I'll grant that!

Or a terrific way to kill it.

Karen Duggan
April 22nd, 2007, 09:07 PM
Tests like that are but one more way to measure "whatever" it is you are trying to measure. I think they're entertaining, and for a lot of people, help them to identify with who they are- either agreeing or disagreeing with the results of the test.

I was ESFJ, but they were pretty close. Said I was a seller. Phew, as a teacher, that's refreshing! I gotta sell stuff that's eons old (ancient history) and make it interesting and relevant to 11 year olds. :p

E 54% I 46%
S 66% N 34% (changed with kids I think)
F 52% T 48%
J 55% P 45%

Ivor
April 23rd, 2007, 06:52 AM

Newmastersswimmer

What's worse is that it would appear I share similar attributes with a Canuck AND a Yank.

I suppose we did used to rule both of you, so maybe it's not that strange an idea.

(At 6' 4" is it VERY inaccurate to say I feel I am too short?)

aquaFeisty
April 23rd, 2007, 07:11 AM
ESTJ - "Administrator". Much in touch with the external environment. Very responsible. Pillar of strength. 8.7% of total population.

Not that far off... My E vs. I wasn't that far apart (55% E vs. 45% I). I remember taking this test in high school, or maybe it was college. Can't remember what I got... I probably have it filed away somewhere.

In terms of swimming, not sure what this means. I definitely like knowing all my times and tracking them meticulously in my geeky excel sheet. :)

FindingMyInnerFish
April 23rd, 2007, 07:48 AM
INFP...4.4% of total population... "questor"--"High capacity for caring. Emotional face to the world. High sense of honor derived from internal values."

I've taken the test a lot of times and always comes up INFP.

The Enneagram put me at type 6 ("high anxiety" but my name is not Mel Brooks)... I've taken it other times and gotten Type 4, and in fact those two scores seem pretty close, so maybe one or the other will dominate at any given time.

I'm not sure how this relates to swimming, but here are some thoughts: I am ready to try new things like an ocean swim--but I'm scared silly while doing so. ;)

It's also why I like to set goals that seem a bit beyond what I think I can do (questor), but also find I have to work on staying disciplined with the day to day work... but sometimes that work itself can attract me enough to keep me motivated. Being introverted means I don't do a lot of partying and regard my time running and swimming as a way to recharge.

I guess any test has its limitations, providing useful info but not always accounting for the twists and turns of life.

waves101
April 23rd, 2007, 08:39 AM
ISFJ although on the F & J I was split 50/50.

swimr4life
April 23rd, 2007, 09:03 AM
Here is mine!

Extroverted (E) 58.33% Introverted (I) 41.67%
Sensing (S) 57.89% Intuitive (N) 42.11%
Feeling (F) 54.76% Thinking (T) 45.24%
Perceiving (P) 56.1% Judging (J) 43.9%

Your type is: ESFP
Accuracy: - 5 high 4 3 2 1 low

ESFP - "Entertainer". Radiates attractive warmth and optimism. Smooth, witty, charming, clever. Fun to be with. Very generous. 8.5% of the total population.

geochuck
April 23rd, 2007, 09:24 AM
What's worse is that it would appear I share similar attributes with a Canuck AND a Yank.

I suppose we did used to rule both of you, so maybe it's not that strange an idea.

(At 6' 4" is it VERY inaccurate to say I feel I am too short?)

You should be proud to share our attributes and does Jolly old England still like it's beer warm or do they have coolers there yet.

Slowswim
April 23rd, 2007, 09:25 AM
I took the short and long version and came up with the same answer both times: ESTP

Negotiator and Entrepreneur! :drink:

geochuck
April 23rd, 2007, 09:42 AM
I took the short and long version and came up with the same answer both times: ESTP

Negotiator and Entrepreneur! :drink:

It seems you are in the with some very good people????

bud
April 23rd, 2007, 09:47 AM
Jung Test Results

Introverted (I) 62.5% Extroverted (E) 37.5%
Sensing (S) 54.17% Intuitive (N) 45.83%
Feeling (F) 54.17% Thinking (T) 45.83%

Your type is: ISFJ

ISFJ - "Conservator". Desires to be of service and to minister to individual needs - very loyal. 13.8% of total population.

- - -

Not bad, for now. I did the short version.

As for how I think my personality affects my swimming... well, it could be the other way around.

Swimming is a meditation for me. It helps keep me grounded and remain in a better state of peace with myself and my surroundings. (Iím generally pretty cranky. When I donít get my ya-yaís out I can be pretty unbearable.) Iím constantly trying to maintain balance in my life, and swimming helps me practice that in a physical, tangible form. Iíve suffered some pretty severe mobility loss in the past, and swimming is pretty much the sole reason I enjoy better mobility today, so it has a rather high place of value in my life (and probably will until I simply canít get in the water anymore).

I definitely prefer to swim alone (I).
I am constantly paying attention to how I feel going through the water (S, F).
I think I should always have my own lane, and that everybody elseís technique stinks compared to mine. (uhhh, J?)

- - -

I was a bit bummed to see the ďJudgingĒ come out on top, it is something Iíve been more aware of lately and trying to correct, but I reckon it is accurate.

I think I wouldíve expected Intuitive to come out on top.

Iíve always said I am pretty much a textbook case Leo, so the loyalty thing is no big surprise (though sometimes when I think of my past history I question the accuracy of that).

I guess it is no big surprise that Iím near the middle percentile on most everything since I answered just to one side or the other of the middle of everything.

I did the formal long version of the Myers-Briggs many seasons ago... forgot the results. If I get a round tuit I may go back and do the longer version and other choices indicated in the opening of this thread. Thanks for the post. Coolbeans.

some_girl
April 23rd, 2007, 10:02 AM
INTJ - "Mastermind". Introverted intellectual with a preference for finding certainty. A builder of systems and the applier of theoretical models. 2.1% of total population.

I fluctuate between I and E. I can't shut up but I like to hang out by myself a lot too. And like globuggie, I appeaciate swimming for its order.

Weird. On the short one and the Ennegram, I get E, on the middle one I. Clearly this is not scientific! Either way, I seem to be bossy and obsessed with order.

RecreationalSwimmer
April 23rd, 2007, 10:07 AM
Or a terrific way to kill it.

I did this test a few years ago, and I was INTJ then. But as I said, Jung and Freud were witch doctors.

swimmieAvsFan
April 23rd, 2007, 10:16 AM
Thanks everyone - keep the results coming!

In case you're interested, from my other surveys I found that artists are usually N's and scientists are usually J's, with no strong trends in the other three letters.

yeah, i'm a chemist and i got close to 64% J...
as for the rest:
ESTJ - "Administrator". Much in touch with the external environment. Very responsible. Pillar of strength. 8.7% of total population.

imspoiled
April 23rd, 2007, 10:47 AM
I too the short & the long & got the same result with each; although, the percentages varied (and seemed more accurate to me) on the longer version.

ISTJ-Trustee--decisive & dependable (yep, that's me!) 11.6% of pop.
Introverted (I) 66.67%
Sensing (S) 58.33%
Thinking (T) 58.06%
Judging (J) 51.28% (This was 50-50 on the short test)

The Enneagram says I'm a Perfectionist (73%). Can't say I disagree.

How does this relate to my swimming? Well, I love to practice with a team because I need the organization of a structured practice. Also, need to be driven by others to succeed. I spend a lot of time on technique, and I never feel like I'm good enough to take the next step--like working out with faster swimmers.

globuggie
April 24th, 2007, 02:58 PM
I was a bit bummed to see the ďJudgingĒ come out on top, it is something Iíve been more aware of lately and trying to correct, but I reckon it is accurate.

Being categorized as Judging is not a bad thing, and it is not the same as being judgmental - that's a common misconception. Judging simply means you tend to organize, categorize, and plan, while Perceiving is a tendency to stay more flexible, open-ended, and spontaneous with your thoughts and time.

FindingMyInnerFish
April 25th, 2007, 01:15 AM
So where are the other INFPs hiding?

The few, the proud, the INFPs.... the crazy artists! :D

beluga
April 25th, 2007, 08:05 AM
On the short version I scored ISTJ, Trustee, with a 50-50 P & J score

The next two versions I scored ISTP, Engineer, which ikind of makes sense since I make my living as an engineer.

How does it relate to swimming? I don't know but

... I usually workout alone,
... like to do distance sets of 1-2k+ straight through, 500 repeats, etc. Long swims lets me find a nice rythm so I can either let my mind go totally numb, or focus my thoughts on stroke mechanics, math problems, songs, meaning of life, etc. (I do a similar thing on my long bike rides, but then I have to keep aware of traffic).
... start with a specific workout in mind but readily adapt to how I'm feeling/swimming, conditions of the pool (temp, clarity), whether I'm alone or sharing a lane, what my lane mates are doing, etc
... analyze my perfromance as best I can, keep a log of distance swam, record splits on my watch, plot the results on my computer, if only I could convince the Y to let me use the Colorado Timing System for my workouts

Leonard Jansen
April 25th, 2007, 08:27 AM
INTJ

And then a screen popped up saying "Please remain calm. Some nice men will be over to make it all better. Don't listen to the voices. Stay away from sharp objects when they arrive and EVERYTHING WILL BE FINE."
-LBJ