PDA

View Full Version : Masters near Pittsburgh?

Messie
April 23rd, 2007, 07:54 PM
I surfed around in the old threads, but since they are old, like 2 years or so old, I didn't find them super helpful.
It doesn't help that when I want to swim, I want to swim NOW, like yesterday, and that does not help matters. I am impatient to say the least.
I know there is one at Pitt, but I don't really want to drive in to town if I can help it. Does anyone swim in the summer?
Anyone?

stateside
July 30th, 2007, 01:45 PM
I'm a Masters water polo player visiting here for a few months in McKeesport. I'm looking for same thing, i.e. a team to workout and scrimmage with. I'm headed to Australian Masters games in Adelaide, then on to Worlds hosted in Perth next April '08. I 've been on the road for 2 months and I'm feeling way out of shape...

Can anyone out there help??!

danC

mermaid
August 17th, 2007, 07:23 PM
There is Team PITT - a Masters team that meets at Trees Pool at the University of Pittsburgh - a USMS Team.

There is a McKeesport Y that has a Masters Team - optional membership in USMS.

Pretty much the Y's have Masters Teams then, membership to USMS is optional. There are a couple of former H2O Polo players around - they are swimming amongst the Masters.

If you ever make it out the the North/West area of Pittsburgh, I could be of more help.

Liftingchic
April 26th, 2008, 02:42 AM
Does Pitt still have a master's team? I am new to the area and really would like to start swimming again.. But on there website the Master program link doesnt work and I didnt want to bother them if they didnt have a team anymore...

thanks!

LMH
April 29th, 2008, 09:25 PM
liftingchic, There is an active YMCA masters swim league in Western PA. Please look at the following web site for more information. amymsa.org
Serveral YMCA's surrounding Pittsburgh have masters teams.

chowmi
June 22nd, 2008, 08:58 PM
Did you find place to swim?

I just got back from PIT visiting my parents and for a banquet!!

I grew up in the Pittsburgh area and swam for JCCS in USA swimming. My coach used to have masters swimmers; not sure what their schedule is.

His name is Al Rose; team is Jewish Community Center Sailfish. In the summer they work out at Henry Kaufmann pool (50 meters) in Monroeville. Their winter/25 yard facility is in Squirrel Hill. I hear some masters swimmers work out with him but may swim for other teams.

You might also try Carol Ide at the South Hills YMCA. I joined their team this past year but alas could not go to YMCA nationals. Too bad, since I really am from PIT!

JCCS' website is somewhat outdated; just give them a call or email. Can't paste the website now; just google it and click on the email us at the bottom of the page.

Merlyn411
August 22nd, 2008, 12:23 PM
There's also one at the Wilmerding YMCA... just joining it myself.

mermaid
August 28th, 2008, 08:37 AM
Most of the YMCA's in the Pittsburgh area have a Masters Program (regular workouts and lane times -- some have on-deck coaching). There are a lot of meets within this league www.amymsa.org
For USMS Teams in Pittsburgh - TPIT is the largest at Trees Pool. They have several practice times.
There is another USMS group that practices in the South Hills and are registered as part of the regional team AMAM.
There are a couple of other sites that are getting more interest in USMS . . . stay tuned for more registered teams.

craiglll@yahoo.com
August 28th, 2008, 09:52 AM
There's also one at the Wilmerding YMCA... just joining it myself.

Are you sure there is a team at this Y? Possibly there is but no one knows about it. I am looking at returning to grad school. seriously looking at Pitt. But this Y has nothing listed.

mermaid
August 28th, 2008, 09:36 PM
Craig -
if you're considering grad school at PITT then TPIT is for you! The pool has just been renovated. New gutter system, pipes, patched & repainted, and rumored to have installed UV sanitation system.
The masters team holds organized practices early morning as well early evening. They have open swim times just about all day long.
The pool is 25y wide and 50M long. Sometimes it is set up as LCM (more so in the summer).
The coach is Jenn jmmich@verizon.net
The USMS registrar is Joe joeskoski@gmail.com
Hope this helps -

chowmi
September 4th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Does Trees pool need to be remeasured for USMS? If there was resurfacing, that may be the case. Your top ten recorder should know. Are there ever any masters meets held there?

mermaid
September 5th, 2008, 11:51 PM
Already certified and legal for LCM and SCY!

We are exploring all the options of hosting a meet in the near future -- any suggestions?

chowmi
September 6th, 2008, 11:24 PM
That would be so neat to come back to PIT for a meet at Trees Pool! I've been eyeing the xmas meet and Dan Mazzei USA-S but that's only because there aren't any masters meets.

Any type of meet would be fun. Hopefully when Kennywood is open.

mermaid
September 7th, 2008, 09:50 PM
The Christmas meet is CHAOS!

We are looking at hosting a masters meet - coordinating between ALL the powers that be . . . we is nothing short of herculean!

craiglll@yahoo.com
September 8th, 2008, 12:39 PM
I tried to locate the Ys in relationship to u of Pitt. Not sure where this TPIT is. Does anyone know where the J is?

mermaid
September 9th, 2008, 08:18 AM
Are you planning a trip here? Are you looking to find a Y? Are you looking for a place to swim here? Are you looking for a USMS team here?

I don't want to overwhelm & overburden with links until I understand what you're looking for.

craiglll@yahoo.com
April 2nd, 2009, 06:14 PM
I am going to be in Pittsburgh all weekend. Trying to find a place to live, get a sense of which way is west, east, south and north, and trying to remember which river I just crossed. I called Trees about masters and they weren't terribly helpful. I'll check this site before I leave and maybe check into Trees in person some time Friday.

I am at work and can't check into Yahoo here so can't get messages.

craiglll@yahoo.com
April 2nd, 2009, 06:24 PM
Mermaid, I do have skype. I asked ot put you on my list and I got a message saying I couldn't add any more people. My skype is scanner-craig-johnson You are more than welcome to add me to your list if you can get to me the information. I

mermaid
April 3rd, 2009, 08:46 AM
I think I got Craig "hooked up and dialed in" to swim at PITT on Saturday 9am

Craig, Please report back on your findings (I'm sure you will like the pool and swimmers there). You have my cell #, call if you need anything. I am sorry that us "regulars" will be away at Clarion. Keep up posted on your arrangements.