PDA

View Full Version : Who loves their job?

The Fortress
April 24th, 2007, 04:35 PM
Does everyone love their job? I have to say I just can't get too excited about the law anymore, or very seldom. I didn't even read about the Supereme Court's new decision in the paper the other day. I think keeping my shoulders healthy is like a full time job. I want to write for Play magazine like Jim Thornton.

USMSarah
April 24th, 2007, 04:48 PM
I love my job being a stay-at-home-mom... it can be kinda boring sometimes, but I'd rather be at home with my kid than at an office.

The Fortress
April 24th, 2007, 04:53 PM
I love my job being a stay-at-home-mom... it can be kinda boring sometimes, but I'd rather be at home with my kid than at an office.

He, he. How old is that kid of yours? Pretty young if he or she is in the jog stroller?

I've been more of a mommy than a lawyer the last 5 years too. I like that job much better. But they do grow up. I'm not sure teenagers qualify as "kids." I like age 4-9 best. Although it's pretty fun watching the teenagers' sports and they can hold real conversations. It's just no fun to listen to them when they're speaking teenager-ese or being rude and hormonal and self-absorbed.

swimr4life
April 24th, 2007, 04:55 PM
Does everyone love their job? I have to say I just can't get too excited about the law anymore, or very seldom. I didn't even read about the Supereme Court's new decision in the paper the other day. I think keeping my shoulders healthy is like a full time job. I want to write for Play magazine like Jim Thornton.

I LOVE MY COACHING JOB! I used to be a NICU nurse and while I loved it at times, I hated it at times. It was very stressful, had long hours (12 hour shifts that always ended up being 13 hours) and I had to work weekends/holidays. NOT good for seeing my kids games/activities! When I missed my daughter hit her first home run playing softball, it broke my heart. I also had to work the dreaded 7PM - 7AM shift a lot of times on the weekend. This meant I never saw my family except to peek my head out of the bedroom and say, "Hey guys, I'm trying to sleep! Can you be quiet!" I turned into an ogre! So, I "retired" temporarily and started coaching and teaching lessons. I love it. Unfortunately, it does not pay as well as my nursing job. I will go back to nursing soon due to 2 daughter's college bills! I have mixed emotions....kind of scary because I've been out of nursing completely for 7 years. I'll have to go through a refresher course and relearn my skills!

The Fortress
April 24th, 2007, 04:58 PM
I LOVE MY COACHING JOB! I used to be a NICU nurse and while I loved it at times, I hated it at times. It was very stressful, had long hours (12 hour shifts that always ended up being 13 hours) and I had to work weekends/holidays. NOT good for seeing my kids games/activities! When I missed my daughter hit her first home run playing softball, it broke my heart. I also had to work the dreaded 7PM - 7AM shift a lot of times on the weekend. This meant I never saw my family except to peek my head out of the bedroom and say, "Hey guys, I'm trying to sleep! Can you be quiet!" I turned into an ogre! So, I "retired" temporarily and started coaching and teaching lessons. I love it. Unfortunately, it does not pay as well as my nursing job. I will go back to nursing soon due to 2 daughter's college bills! I have mixed emotions....kind of scary because I've benn out of nursing completely for 7 years. I'll have to go therough a refresher course and relearn my skills!

I think I would totally love to coach too!! My husband's suggested it. But most kids are swimming in the afternoon or evening or early morning when I'm with my kids or playing chauffeur and chef and homework nudge.

Seven years is a long layoff. I haven't worked full time since my son was born 14 years ago. (I actually re-wrote my law firm's part time policy for them. LOL) It'll all come right back. Can you get a day shift? I know those are the most coveted ... That shift would've caused me to retire too.

swimr4life
April 24th, 2007, 04:59 PM
He, he. How old is that kid of yours? Pretty young if he or she is in the jog stroller?

I've been more of a mommy than a lawyer the last 5 years too. I like that job much better. But they do grow up. I'm not sure teenagers qualify as "kids." I like age 4-9 best. Although it's pretty fun watching the teenagers' sports and they can hold real conversations. It's just no fun to listen to them when they're speaking teenager-ese or being rude and hormonal and self-absorbed.

I agree! While it isn't as rewarding raising teenager, they do still really need us! I'm a stay at home mom too. I only coach a summer team now! I gave up my high school and USS job so I could spend more time with my girls. They grow up sooo quickly. When Kelly graduated from high school last year, that fact really hit me ! I wanted to spend more time with Kristy because she is a sophomore this year. These years fly by all too quickly!

islandsox
April 24th, 2007, 06:36 PM
Me, Me, Me, I love my job cause I really don't have one even though I teach little kids and I mean little kids to swim down here, but they are V E R Y difficult to teach cause they won't get in the water and their parents say: I don't want my child doing anything it doesn't want to do." And when the kids start balling because they are up to their knees in the ocean, they breakout in real tears and wailing so the parents give them cookies!!! Wonderful. I'd rather coach any day of the week cause I am a morning person.

SwimStud
April 24th, 2007, 06:38 PM
hmmm...
I think I should really bite the bullet and train as a masseur...

Seagurl51
April 24th, 2007, 06:45 PM
My job rocks. I sit in class "listening" :blah: to people talk :snore: .

But I like being a lifeguard......

USMSarah
April 24th, 2007, 07:22 PM

He's one... he's still jibber-jabbering, so I can have any kind of convo with him and he always talks back (even though I don't know what he says)... I can't wait for him to go thru all the stages, I just wonder what type of hormonal teenager he is going to be. HA!

FlyQueen
April 24th, 2007, 07:41 PM
I love coaching and most of the time I LOVE teaching (just not surly 11 & 12 year olds)

Swimmy
April 24th, 2007, 08:53 PM
I love my job most of the time. I teach Kindergarten, and the kids are great. I do love the holidays when they come up though....36 more school days until Summer vacation! wooohooooooooooooooo!
I also just got a job for the summer teaching swim lessons. I will probably do the little kids. Getting them to enjoy the water will be fun.
Swimmy :)

dorothyrde
April 24th, 2007, 09:56 PM
You could have a job watching a dog wag its tail!

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,268052,00.html

Or this:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,267944,00.html

Can you tell I am bored tonight?

blainesapprentice
April 25th, 2007, 07:32 AM
I love not having a job.

Although being a student is quite the task and a job I can't wait to be done with (3 years down...3 years to go!)

swimmieAvsFan
April 25th, 2007, 08:44 AM
i hate my job, my "real" one that is. boring, and i'm a temp, so i get no paid time off. and my company just got bought, so i don't even know if i'm going to have a job come june. now, as for coaching, i love it. even when dealing with the rude, hormonal 11-12 year olds. (the minis are waaaaay more fun, even if they're pretty clueless about most things.)

so anybody have any connections in the science world to get me a better "real" job? :shakeshead:

swimr4life
April 25th, 2007, 10:14 AM
He's one... he's still jibber-jabbering, so I can have any kind of convo with him and he always talks back (even though I don't know what he says)... I can't wait for him to go thru all the stages, I just wonder what type of hormonal teenager he is going to be. HA!

OH SARAH! Although I love every stage of my children's lives, I adored the time from 1-3 years old. They are so much fun at those ages!!! ENJOY!:agree:

Slowswim
April 25th, 2007, 10:44 AM
I love my job. US Army Comptroller. I'm learning something new almost every day. It was more exciting before I moved from Special OPs to Forces Command, but I have a lot more time at home.

I hated being away in Afghanistan, but it was a tremendous life experience. Being shot at kinda sucked, but I got to shoot back!!

I fully expect to be in Iraq next summer. That'll be a bummer, but that will be my last trip to combat then on to Germany from there!:drink:
</IMG>

Got Boost
April 25th, 2007, 01:00 PM
I don't know that I ever loved my job but I sure enjoyed it more when my dad was alive. I work with my brother and uncle, and my uncle is a serious mircomanager, now I'm not so sure.....:confused:
Got Boost

Leonard Jansen
April 25th, 2007, 01:57 PM
Although my job isn't ideal from an intellectual standpoint, the pay is good and the working conditions are amazing. I telecommute most of the time and our house sits on 10+ acres surrounded by woods and farms. It's usually quiet except for the birds. I have all kinds of bird feeders in the old apple tree right outside the double glass sliding doors of my work area. We also have owls and hawks that live in our woods. Occasionally, various animals wander past as well - I've seen turkeys, deer, skunks, raccoons, chipmuncks, fox, etc. I get to make my own hours most of the time. I start work at about 6 AM (ideal for me), then go to the local college to swim at lunch time, come home and finish up by 3:30. Of course, then I have to shovel horse manure most days, but you can't have it all. ;)

-LBJ

SwimStud
April 25th, 2007, 01:58 PM
Although my job isn't ideal from an intellectual standpoint, the pay is good and the working conditions are amazing. I telecommute most of the time and our house sits on 10+ acres surrounded by woods and farms. It's usually quiet except for the birds. I have all kinds of bird feeders in the old apple tree right outside the double glass sliding doors of my work area. We also have owls and hawks that live in our woods. Occasionally, various animals wander past as well - I've seen turkeys, deer, skunks, raccoons, chipmuncks, fox, etc. I get to make my own hours most of the time. I start work at about 6 AM (ideal for me), then go to the local college to swim at lunch time, come home and finish up by 3:30. Of course, then I have to shovel horse manure most days, but you can't have it all. ;)

-LBJ

Sounds good. What do you do? Can we start a "charm school" in the area I have a few leads... ;)

aquaFeisty
April 25th, 2007, 02:06 PM
I love my part-time job teaching prenatal aqua aerobics at the fitness center. It is a blast. I get to chat with the pregnant ladies, watch them meet and make friends, and get in a little exercise. The only time I don't like it is when I'm sick and am stuck teaching because it is impossible to get a sub!

Leonard Jansen
April 25th, 2007, 02:07 PM
Sounds good. What do you do? Can we start a "charm school" in the area I have a few leads... ;)
Tell your kids that there actually IS a reason to take math.
I am a minion of evil. I work for a company that generates marketing data for LARGE companies. I do math and software systems design - very intensive # crunching. We are just about to bring Canada under our merciless grip and then Australia.
The evil empire: http://www.spectramarketing.com/

The problem with starting a charm school here is that cows outnumber people.

-LBJ

fanstone
April 25th, 2007, 09:05 PM
I like my job. It is the one time when I am protected from interferences, phone calls, whatever...when I am in the O.R. giving anesthesia I can't leave, can't talk on the phone (well, I do exceptions with the cell phone), can't get involved in other stuff. So being in a "prison" is what makes me "free" from other day to day problems. That said, I must confess I have flexible hours. I live two minutes walking distance from where I work. I have a phone directly connected to the PAX system of the hospital. I spend the day at home waiting to be called. Since I am not part of a group, I can take off and not work and not get paid,and not be a burden on other medical staff. The one thing that pisses me off is when I spend an easy day and right when I am getting ready to go to the swimming pool, I am called by some whimp who after spending his day doing his stuff, decides that the C-section will be at 6:30 p.m. Whatever...billy fanstone

The Fortress
April 25th, 2007, 09:26 PM
Whatever...billy fanstone

Do they use "whatever" a lot in Brazil, Billy? LMAO.

Telecommuting is good, LBJ. But math is evil. I don't need any stinkin' ... math.

Leonard Jansen
April 26th, 2007, 06:26 AM
Telecommuting is good, LBJ. But math is evil. I don't need any stinkin' ... math.

Math is your friend. Math loves you.
Besides, how do you expect your son to want to do his math if mom has that attitude?

-LBJ

The Fortress
April 26th, 2007, 08:30 AM
Math is your friend. Math loves you.
Besides, how do you expect your son to want to do his math if mom has that attitude?

-LBJ

Math is evil. I hated it in college. I don't use it now unless you count addition and subtraction. And I do frequently lose count during any distance exceeding 200.

I don't communicate that "attitude" to my son!! :thhbbb: My son does his math without me bugging him, he is just opinionated and thinks it's BORING. He does find it mildly amusing that I have forgotten how to do algebra. No worries, though, my daughter loves math. :banana:

Swimmer Bill
April 26th, 2007, 11:16 AM
I love my job, and can't imagine having a more extraordinary opportunity or a finer group of people around me. Thank you, USMS!

CreamPuff
April 27th, 2007, 09:51 PM
Me, me!

Investor, family CFO, and stay at home pug mother.
If you can stomach this picture: Donald Trump meets Snow White. Or Martha Stewart minus the jail time. :rofl:

Math = :groovy:

Also loved past 10 years as Director of HR. There's nothing like a good sexual harassment claim to get the juices flowing. No pun intended. :rofl: