PDA

View Full Version : Water coming into your mouth during crawl breathing

New Daddy
April 25th, 2007, 12:34 AM
When you do ideal crawl breathing (i.e., just rotating your head with one goggle still in the water), water does not come into your mouth, largely thanks to the trough created by the head.
However, sometimes the swimmer in the next lane creates high ripples that come over the lane line and get into my mouth.
Does this happen to you too, or is it just me not rotating the head far enough?

knelson
April 25th, 2007, 12:47 AM
Not just you. Everyone gets a nice mouthful of water from time to time.

Warren
April 25th, 2007, 02:57 AM
inhaling a wave on buttfly is not very pleasant either.

Slowswim
April 25th, 2007, 09:26 AM
Yes, it has happened to me. Also has happened in OW swims. If I know its coming or sense the wave, I either breathe on the other side or skip the breath.

My problem is if I get lazy and drop my elbow, my shoulder plows in and swamps my face. I never see that one coming and I get a mouthful.

3strokes
April 25th, 2007, 09:41 PM
New Daddy;89168
However, sometimes the swimmer in the next lane creates high ripples that come over the lane line and get into my mouth.
Does this happen to you too, or is it just me not rotating the head far enough?

It happens a lot when a swimmer in the same lane (circle swimming) is coming from the opposite direction (I breathe to the left and swimming is always counter-clockwise in the pools where I swim) and is creating mini-(or medium)-Tsunamis. You normally don't even see it coming if both of you are going at a good clip. This problem is compounded for me since I only breathe to my left (therefore always towards the inside of the lane.)

Thanks to this thread, I've now got (yet) another reason why I should try to learn to breathe on my other side.