PDA

View Full Version : Good book recommendations?

USMSarah
April 25th, 2007, 02:22 PM
I am currently reading John Grisham and Michael Crichton books (and lovin' it)... I was wondering if anyone had some recommendations of other authors of suspense/mystery books.

-S

imspoiled
April 25th, 2007, 03:04 PM
"Shadow of the Wind" by Carlos Ruiz Zafon

"Dante Club" by Matthew Pearl (waiting for "Poe Shadow" to come out in paperback)

"The Historian" by Elizabeth Kostova

The Steve Berry novels are a good, easy read ("Romanov Prophecy", "The Templar Legacy", The Third Secret")

Dana

knelson
April 25th, 2007, 04:58 PM
I don't get into the mystery genre too much, but I do enjoy Tony Hillerman's books.

Peter Cruise
April 25th, 2007, 05:54 PM
Aaah! I used to know...am too tired to think...anything by Michael Connelly, Nevada Barr, Joe Box, Archer Mayor (sp?), John Lescroart, Elizabeth George...can go on-n-n-n-z-z-z-z-

The Fortress
April 25th, 2007, 11:35 PM
I don't read a lot of this genre either, but occasionally Michael Connelly, as Peter noted. I like P.D. James and Minette Walters too. I'm currently reading the Book of Air and Shadows by Michael Gruber, which seems pretty good. Not detective oriented per se, but a good literary mystery. In the past, I have read Richard North Patterson, but I don't like his new book much. It's like lectures coming out of the characters' mouths. I can read Daniel Silva too. I know he's not the best writer, but the plots are pretty riveting.

FlyQueen
April 25th, 2007, 11:47 PM
Sarah have you read any Jodi Piccoult books, they are fabulous. My favorites are My Sister's Keeper (be ready to cry), The Pact, and Plain Truth. I also LURVE the shopaholic series ... very good chic lit. James Patterson's books are interesting and I love Mary Higgins Clark, too can never put those down.

In the way of swimming lit Gold in the Water is amazing!

Got Boost
April 26th, 2007, 01:30 AM
Tom Clancy, his novels not the co wrote stuff. One of my all time favorites is The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas.
Got Boost

3strokes
April 26th, 2007, 06:50 AM
I am currently reading John Grisham and Michael Crichton books (and lovin' it)... I was wondering if anyone had some recommendations of other authors of suspense/mystery books.

-S

Not suspense/thriller, but given that everyone around this USMS environment exhibits a pronounced (sometimes to the point of weird) sense of humour:

Anything (not a title, but literally anything) by Dave Barry
Anything by P.G. Wodehouse (specially his golfing -or Gowfing- books)
Alvaro de Laiglesia (for those who read Spanish)
Art Buchwaldand, away from the humour side

I couldn't bear to be without my C.S. Forester collection (Horatio Hornblower). I left mine in Egypt back in '89 but bought the whole collection again here.

I wish I could reconstruct my Louis L'Amour collection.

Julie Roddin
April 26th, 2007, 10:08 AM
Sarah have you read any Jodi Piccoult books, they are fabulous. My favorites are My Sister's Keeper (be ready to cry), The Pact, and Plain Truth. I also LURVE the shopaholic series ... very good chic lit. James Patterson's books are interesting and I love Mary Higgins Clark, too can never put those down.

Jodi Piccoult's books are incredible. It took me a few chapters to focus my brain around her writing style, but once you get into it, they are incredible. My Sister's Keeper is way up there on my list of favorite books. I also read Vanishing Acts last year and it was good. The Pact is next on my list, I think I'll start it this weekend.

Other good books...Drawn to the Rhythm by Sara Hall. Freakonomics is also a fast read and makes you think. Also read The World is Flat last year...not a quick read, but a good book.

Julie

blainesapprentice
April 26th, 2007, 01:36 PM

Gosh do I love Shopaholic series...I finished Shopaholic and baby in like 2days, and now I just can't wait for Shopaholic and toddler--and if she refues to write it...I will!