PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of Moms!!!

Seagurl51
April 25th, 2007, 02:46 PM
Dear Mom's (and some Dad's),

How do you choose which brand of peanut butter to buy? Which brand do you buy currently? Why? What would cause you to switch? What are you looking for in a peanut butter brand? Comfort, nutrition, piece of mind?

Love,

Some Random Child

SwimStud
April 25th, 2007, 02:49 PM
Dear Mom's,

How do you choose which brand of peanut butter to buy? Which brand do you buy currently? Why? What would cause you to switch? What are you looking for in a peanut butter brand? Comfort, nutrition, piece of mind?

Love,

Some Random Child

Wow Kyra that is very seixst and hypocritical. I must protest and start an obvious attempt to incite a confrontation.

Many Dads go shopping on their way home from swimming when the aisles are less crowded and the checkouts are free. I buy Skippy. I look for price.

Seagurl51
April 25th, 2007, 02:53 PM
I was just going to edit my original post to include Dad's....but my target market is women, so I'm looking for the mommy aspect because I have too. And the majority of the time women do the shopping or tell the Dad's what to buy.

Other than price why Skippy?

Oh I forgot...Love you.

swimshark
April 25th, 2007, 02:55 PM
What ever Costco has. Cheapest and biggest. Some how, when we moved across country a year ago, we ended up with 5 large jars of Jif. Needless to say, we haven't bought any peanut butter since we moved. :cool:

Alison

SwimStud
April 25th, 2007, 02:56 PM
I was just going to edit my original post to include Dad's....but my target market is women, so I'm looking for the mommy aspect because I have too. And the majority of the time women do the shopping or tell the Dad's what to buy.

Other than price why Skippy?

Oh I forgot...Love you.

I like the colour of the label. I prefer crunchy but I have to go wth the majority of PB eaters in the house.

Do you have any information about where I can get crunchy peanut butter? Love you.

dorothyrde
April 25th, 2007, 02:58 PM
I like Peter Pan, which has not been a good choice lately. DH just bought Jiff to replace the PP I threw out, and it is nasty.

Seagurl51
April 25th, 2007, 03:00 PM
Label colour is a good reason. haha. I have no idea where to get crunchy peanut butter...the grocery store right next to the creamy stuff....internet. :dunno:

Some other questions about PB.....if you were reading a magazine and saw an ad for peanut butter what would make you want to stop and read it? What about on the internet?

Seagurl51
April 25th, 2007, 03:01 PM
I like Peter Pan, which has not been a good choice lately. DH just bought Jiff to replace the PP I threw out, and it is nasty.

YAY PETER PAN!!!

That's actually my assignement is to make a campaign for Peter Pan....I'm gonna need a different angle than nasty though. ;)

aquaFeisty
April 25th, 2007, 03:02 PM
Store-brand all natural. These days I'm a Meijer shopper, cuz it's cheaper than the Jewel-Osco. This is the pb that is separated when you buy it and has to be stored in the fridge.

Of course, I buy not-natural PB too for baking... either Peter Pan or Jiff, whichever is on sale. Natural PB does not make good peanut butter cookies, chocolate pb cookies, pb bars, pb cake. The hubby is a huge peanut butter fan!

Slowswim
April 25th, 2007, 03:03 PM
JIF. Its what they serve in the White House. If it good enough for the President, its good enough for me.

I do almost all the shopping not my wife. Thank you very much! :mad:

Seagurl51
April 25th, 2007, 03:06 PM
I do almost all the shopping not my wife. Thank you very much! :mad:

I knew that would get me in trouble. :smooch: Sorry.

It's not all families, just the majority. Which is why most advertising is geared toward women. They make most of the financial decisions.......NOT MY WORDS, just saying what I've learned from profs and studies. So dont' hate me please. Blame the system. ;)

dorothyrde
April 25th, 2007, 03:13 PM
YAY PETER PAN!!!

That's actually my assignement is to make a campaign for Peter Pan....I'm gonna need a different angle than nasty though. ;)

Jif is nasty. I like Peter Pan, but it was completely taken off the shelf. We don't go through peanut butter very fast, so am stuck with Jif for the time being. I only eat it once in a blue moon!:yawn:

dorothyrde
April 25th, 2007, 03:15 PM

It's not all families, just the majority. Which is why most advertising is geared toward women. They make most of the financial decisions.......NOT MY WORDS, just saying what I've learned from profs and studies. So dont' hate me please. Blame the system. ;)

Kyra, if I died today, my husband would have a difficult time getting the bills paid, because he does not know what comes in when. He would manage, but I do all the budgeting and 85% of the shopping. If he did all the shopping there would be too much junk food laying around.

imspoiled
April 25th, 2007, 03:25 PM
Many Dads go shopping.....

Yes, Stud, many dads go shopping, but filling a cart with Peanut Butter, ketchup, and crackers does not count!:thhbbb:

Kyra-
Skippy. Have eaten it my whole life & it's what they have at Sam's Club. Think the others stink. Also, like Stud, I prefer chunky PB, but must bend to the will of the munchkins and buy the creamy.

I don't look at the ads in mags, so I can't help there. BUT, the PP label used to be IMO a really awful red color. That & the PP drawing always made me think they were trying to appeal to kids, like the sugary cereal makers do--implying, to me, that there's a lot of artifical stuff added to make it cool. Probably not true, but it may lead to a marketing idea...

Dana

Slowswim
April 25th, 2007, 03:31 PM

Since I am a Comptroller, I done all the bills and budgeting. My wife makes all big dollar decisions especially when it comes to the house. I also do almost all the laundry, I cook (grill) most meals (my wife is a fabulous cook and when she does its an event), and do the dishes. My wife is the plumber, gardener, painter, home repair, and does all other cleaning, and almost all child care.

As for your Profs, I know I was taught the same in college; but as I'm shopping, I see more things aimed at kids not the Moms. That's just my observation.
</IMG></IMG>

SwimStud
April 25th, 2007, 03:37 PM
Yes, Stud, many dads go shopping, but filling a cart with Peanut Butter, ketchup, and crackers does not count!:thhbbb:

Dana
Hey now. I would barely buy junk food. Koffee Kake Lady!

imspoiled
April 25th, 2007, 04:03 PM
Sorry Stud. My hubby went shopping while I was at zones, so "I would have one less thing to do." When I got home, I opened the fridge and it was empty, except for soda and some lunch meat!?! When I checked the closet, there were 6 bottles of ketchup (seriously), the big ones you get at the price club. All week long he asked, "What's for dinner?" My stock reply was, "I have no idea. What's in the fridge?" Argh!

SwimStud
April 25th, 2007, 04:04 PM
hahaha marital bliss...:rofl: :rofl:

Slowswim
April 25th, 2007, 04:19 PM
Sorry Stud. My hubby went shopping while I was at zones, so "I would have one less thing to do." When I got home, I opened the fridge and it was empty, except for soda and some lunch meat!?! When I checked the closet, there were 6 bottles of ketchup (seriously), the big ones you get at the price club. All week long he asked, "What's for dinner?" My stock reply was, "I have no idea. What's in the fridge?" Argh!

I'm the opposite! You send me to the store with a list of a few Items and I'll come back with weeks worth of food; especially, meat for the grill!! We had to buy a second refrigerator just for drinks and meat.

My name is Bill and I have a grocery shopping problem.

SwimStud
April 25th, 2007, 04:23 PM
I'm the opposite! You send me to the store with a list of a few Items and I'll come back with weeks worth of food; especially, meat for the grill!! We had to buy a second refrigerator just for drinks and meat.

My name is Bill and I have a grocery shopping problem.

Bill, it's a small family not a battalion!!

:rofl:

knelson
April 25th, 2007, 04:23 PM
I hate to even bring this up (:)), but most of the "big name" peanut butter brands contain trans fat. It may say 0 grams per serving, but if you look at the ingredients there is partially hydrogenated oil. Lately I've been buying Adam's or similar (Costco has an organic PB, for example) with no trans fats. I will say they don't taste as good as Jif, but you get used to it.

I do the grocery shopping in my house, by the way, but I'm not a dad.

SwimStud
April 25th, 2007, 04:25 PM
...trans fat...

Oh noes...he said TF!!!

Slowswim
April 25th, 2007, 04:28 PM
I just heard on the radio the other day that removing all Trans Fat was bad. :dunno:

Does anyone know about this or was it just one researcher with a wacky idea?
</IMG>

ensignada
April 25th, 2007, 04:30 PM
I buy PP when it's not going to make me sick. I buy it because my mom bought it when I was growing up.

Note: I mainly buy soynut butter (IM Healthy) for my daughter. I'm not a big PB fan - just once in a while when I get a craving.

I have no idea what my husband would buy, but he's not picky.

Seagurl51
April 25th, 2007, 04:31 PM
Who knew peanut butter would spurn such discussion?! :rofl:

It's giving me a few ideas of how to approach this ad campaign though...so thanks.

knelson
April 25th, 2007, 04:31 PM
I just heard on the radio the other day that removing all Trans Fat was bad. :dunno:

Does anyone know about this or was it just one researcher with a wacky idea?
</IMG>

"Trans fatty acids are not essential and provide no known benefit to human health."
http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?isbn=0309085373&page=423

SwimStud
April 25th, 2007, 04:33 PM
"Trans fatty acids are not essential and provide no known benefit to human health."

*pushes Kirk off the soapbox* ;)

Forget Peanutbutter. Get some Marmite down yer neck!

Slowswim
April 25th, 2007, 04:36 PM

When I first heard that Trans Fats were bad was because the liver created a carcinogen during the digestion process. that why it struck me as odd not to want to get rid of as much TF as possible.

poolraat
April 25th, 2007, 05:02 PM

Just soda and lunch meat? No beer? What's wrong with this picture.

The Fortress
April 25th, 2007, 05:04 PM
Since I am a Comptroller, I done all the bills and budgeting. My wife makes all big dollar decisions especially when it comes to the house. I also do almost all the laundry, I cook (grill) most meals (my wife is a fabulous cook and when she does its an event), and do the dishes. My wife is the plumber, gardener, painter, home repair, and does all other cleaning, and almost all child care.</IMG></IMG>

Yahoo! Who needs peanut butter when you've got a grill! I love to grill. It's my primary method of cooking. I'm grilling salmon tonight. Fortunately, 2 of the kids will eat it too.

Although, I will say that I agree with Karen. In general, I don't like to cook much any more. If I had unlimited funds, I hire a cook. And then a taxi service for kidlet practice transport. I'm no good at plumbing and home repair though. I can barely figure out how to dvr something. I love to garden and hate to clean. I do the laundry, but make my kids fold clothes. They also are assigned other chores too.

Just soda and lunch meat and no wine? What's wrong with this picture, Poolraat?

aquaFeisty
April 25th, 2007, 05:11 PM
I hate to even bring this up (:)), but most of the "big name" peanut butter brands contain trans fat. It may say 0 grams per serving, but if you look at the ingredients there is partially hydrogenated oil. Lately I've been buying Adam's or similar (Costco has an organic PB, for example) with no trans fats. I will say they don't taste as good as Jif, but you get used to it.

I do the grocery shopping in my house, by the way, but I'm not a dad.

ding ding ding
this is why I buy the natural pb

And fyi, food companies are allowed to round down so that the trans fat reading on the label says 0g even if it is 0.4g. If you look closely at the serving size, some food items actually have reduced their serving size so that the trans fat number comes out 0g. I noticed this on Meg's graham crackers and it really ticked me off!

USMSarah
April 25th, 2007, 06:07 PM
I have started phasing out any items in the cupboard that contain hydgrogenated (sp?) oils and high fructose corn syrup (this is from watching an Oprah show a while ago)... many popular peanut butters have the hyd. oil in it... the next time I am at the store, I may switch to a natural/organic peanut butter (Skippy now has a natural PB, so I may take a look at that one too).

poolraat
April 25th, 2007, 06:11 PM
Just soda and lunch meat and no wine? What's wrong with this picture, Poolraat?

Wine's okay too. Problem with wine is I feel like I need to drink the whole bottle and then.... :banana: :banana: or :snore:

Leonard Jansen
April 25th, 2007, 07:36 PM
Forget Peanutbutter. Get some Marmite down yer neck!
Marmite is good, but Vegemite is better.

-LBJ

USMSarah
April 25th, 2007, 08:03 PM
Marmite is good, but Vegemite is better.

-LBJ

What is MARMITE???

Karen Duggan
April 25th, 2007, 08:44 PM
Peanut Butter?!? Wow, I suppose we must tell Lenny, our butler here in the penthouse, what kind of PB we prefer :p

Carrie- Do you have a good recipe for PB bars? I'd love to know one. I could search the Internet I suppose... nah, can you recommend one?
PS They do not have to be health oriented- is that possible with PB?!?

chaos
April 25th, 2007, 08:50 PM
http://www.deliciousorganics.com/Controversies/peanuts.htm

a better source of peanut butter info (perhaps any info) than the whitehouse.

USMSarah
April 25th, 2007, 09:01 PM
Do you have a good recipe for PB bars? I'd love to know one. I could search the Internet I suppose... nah, can you recommend one?
PS They do not have to be health oriented- is that possible with PB?!?

I do!

2 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1 cup peanut butter
1 cup butter, melted
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
2 3/4 cups confectioners' sugar

In a medium bowl, stir together graham cracker crumbs, confectioners' sugar, peanut butter and melted butter. Press firmly into the bottom of a 9x13 inch pan. Melt chocolate chips over a double boiler or in the microwave, stirring occasionally. Spread melted chocolate over the "crust". Chill for about 5 minutes, then cut into bars before the chocolate is completely set, then chill until ready to serve.

YUMMY!!!

SwimStud
April 25th, 2007, 09:13 PM
http://www.deliciousorganics.com/Controversies/peanuts.htm

a better source of peanut butter info (perhaps any info) than the whitehouse.

Mr Barra where is the gun picture or are you ashamed to post yours in the same jpg as mine?

LOL

aquaFeisty
April 25th, 2007, 09:24 PM
Hey, Sarah, that is pretty dang close to my pb chocolate bars recipe! They taste just like Reese's Peanut Butter Cups!

Karen, this is a great one for the kids to help with because there are no raw eggs and essentially no baking. The kids can crush the graham crackers and then, right after you put the chocolate on and before it sets up, the kids can decorate! I usually use colored sprinkles (like you'd put on sugar cookies). Those silver balls work well too, frosting from a tube, cinnamon hearts, whatever. My little girl isn't big enough yet to decorate, but she LOVES to crush the graham crackers.

aquaFeisty
April 25th, 2007, 09:25 PM
Oh, and make sure you use plain old PB for that recipe... you need those trans fats to get it all to stick together! :D

ensignada
April 25th, 2007, 09:31 PM
What is MARMITE???

Black shoe polish that the English spread on toast and trick unsuspecting Americans to try.

USMSarah
April 25th, 2007, 09:54 PM
Black shoe polish that the English spread on toast and trick unsuspecting Americans to try.

LOL! You made my day!

:D :D :D

USMSarah
April 25th, 2007, 09:57 PM
Hey, Sarah, that is pretty dang close to my pb chocolate bars recipe! They taste just like Reese's Peanut Butter Cups!

Oooohhhhh, they are so awesome. My mouth is watering just THINKING about them. I think that they are better than Reese's... especially when you get them right out of the fridge.... OH SO GOOD!

:agree:

SwimStud
April 25th, 2007, 10:04 PM
LOL! You made my day!

:D :D :D

You think it's funny huh? Don't make me send you some in the mail!

:banana:

USMSarah
April 25th, 2007, 10:14 PM
You think it's funny huh? Don't make me send you some in the mail!

:banana:

Seriously, what is in it?

SwimStud
April 25th, 2007, 10:21 PM
Seriously, what is in it?

It's tangy...Barb is obviously a cullinary coward, but that's a separate matter.

It's like yeast and beef extract. You spread it thinly on hot buttered toast and down it with a nice mug of tea. Then you sit in the dark and sing "The White Cliffs of Dover" and think "British thoughts" while imagining it's an air-raid in WWII...it's kind of complicated...

USMSarah
April 25th, 2007, 10:24 PM
LOL... White Cliffs of Dover... I have no clue what you are talking about... but your tone cracks me up.

Spam and eggs are AWESOME, by the way... and a little bit o' Tobascco too.

ensignada
April 25th, 2007, 10:24 PM
It's tangy...Barb is obviously a cullilnary coward, but that's a separate matter.

It's like yeast and beef extract. You spread it thinly on hot buttered toast and down it with a nice mug of tea. Then you sit in the dark and sing "The White Cliffs of Dover" and think "British thoughts" while imagining it's an air-raid in WWII...it's kind of complicated...

"Yeast and beef extract". Mmm-mmm, my mouth is watering. :hug:

SwimStud
April 25th, 2007, 10:27 PM
"Yeast and beef extract". Mmm-mmm, my mouth is watering. :hug:

I'm going to start carrying it with me to meets...Barb...I'll stand at the end of you lane and as you come in for the turn I'll hold it out at you...you'll pick up a burst of speed from the wall...

USMSarah
April 25th, 2007, 10:39 PM
LOL... White Cliffs of Dover... I have no clue what you are talking about... but your tone cracks me up.

Spam and eggs are AWESOME, by the way... and a little bit o' Tobascco too.

And to add... that stuff you are talking about just makes me think of A1 sauce (it's EVIL). ;)

ensignada
April 25th, 2007, 10:45 PM
I'm going to start carrying it with me to meets...Barb...I'll stand at the end of you lane and as you come in for the turn I'll hold it out at you...you'll pick up a burst of speed from the wall...

We might hear a "twang" if you do that. LOL

Seriously, SS, I'm willing to re-evaluate my position on the stuff - admittedly the guy who told me to try it told me to spread it on thick and there was no mention of warm, buttered toast, tea or the white cliffs of Dover. I took it thick on dry bread at breakfast. If we're ever near a toaster, bread, butter and tea, you bring the Marmite and I'll try it again.

SwimStud
April 25th, 2007, 10:48 PM
And to add... that stuff you are talking about just makes me think of A1 sauce (it's EVIL). ;)

Hehe Sarah. White Cliffs was a popular war time song in the UK, trying to help people "carry on" through the bombings and daily hardships of WWII Britain.

If you look around on the net you'll find stories and photos of people huddled down to sleep on the London Underground during the air raids of the blitz. Folks would sing these songs, drink gallons of tea, and eat marmite sandwiches to keep up their moral and the will to hang in there and not give up hope.

At the risk of being ridiculed; it's that sort of imagery (because my grandparents lived it and told me all about it) that is entwined in my mind with a sense of being British...well, what it used to mean at least.

So hopefully that explains my comic twist on marmite for you. ;)

chaos
April 25th, 2007, 10:49 PM
Mr Barra where is the gun picture or are you ashamed to post yours in the same jpg as mine?

LOL

you guys caught me with long sleeves. i didn't get the memo that flexing would be part of the activities, and consequently did not dress appropriately....look for a "wife beater" t-shirt at the bay!

whats this got to do with nut butter?

USMSarah
April 25th, 2007, 10:56 PM
Hehe Sarah. White Cliffs was a popular war time song in the UK, trying to help people "carry on" through the bombings and daily hardships of WWII Britain.

If you look around on the net you'll find stories and photos of people huddled down to sleep on the London Underground during the air raids of the blitz. Folks would sing these songs, drink gallons of tea, and eat marmite sandwiches to keep up their moral and the will to hang in there and not give up hope.

At the risk of being ridiculed; it's that sort of imagery (because my grandparents lived it and told me all about it) that is entwined in my mind with a sense of being British...well, what it used to mean at least.

So hopefully that explains my comic twist on marmite for you. ;)

I see. You learn something new every day.

I'm tired, I think I'm gonna go to sleep now.

Later.:snore:

FlyQueen
April 25th, 2007, 11:44 PM
Creamy Skippy (or Jif) but if I am buying Skippy ... I can eat spoonfuls of PB ... I love it!!!

I also believe I read reduced fat PB is higher in bad fat than regular PB ...

blainesapprentice
April 26th, 2007, 01:38 PM
Extra Crunchy skippy--but im not a mom...im just a pb fan.

And...i'll be damned if I'm gonna stop eating PB cuz of some health worries...maybe. Maybe I will in fact trade in for natural skippy super chunk.

Karen Duggan
April 26th, 2007, 01:56 PM
Since Marmite is doing nothing for my more sophisticated palatte... I'll make the PB bars! :p

I think we'll start to taper pretty soon for Nationals. So, if I don't do well, you can expect a new thread titled "Peanut Butter bars ruined my Nationals!"
(Rats, I guess it's really all about moderation, huh?)

imspoiled
April 26th, 2007, 03:24 PM
Just soda and lunch meat? No beer? What's wrong with this picture.

Can't buy beer in the grocery stores in PA. Stupid state LCB. Wine & Spirits are sold one place & beer is sold another. PITA!!!

ensignada
April 26th, 2007, 05:25 PM
And in a thoroughly convoluted logic, you can only buy beer by the case (I understand it's supposed to cut down on drinking?).

You can buy six packs at bars, but they are $$$$.

poolraat
April 26th, 2007, 06:16 PM
And in a thoroughly convoluted logic, you can only buy beer by the case (I understand it's supposed to cut down on drinking?).

You can buy six packs at bars, but they are $$$$.

That's one good(?) thing about here. You can go to the grocery store, mini mart etc and buy just about any kind of alcoholic beverage you want.
:groovy: :banana: :banana: :groovy:

Slowswim
April 26th, 2007, 10:26 PM
Can't buy beer in the grocery stores in PA. Stupid state LCB. Wine & Spirits are sold one place & beer is sold another. PITA!!!

...and I thought I moved to a stupid state, Georgia, when it comes to alcohol sales.

Here you MUST plan ahead.

swimr4life
April 27th, 2007, 10:30 AM
...and I thought I moved to a stupid state, Georgia, when it comes to alcohol sales.

Here you MUST plan ahead.

Yep. No alcohol sales after 11:45 Saturday night. Usually doesn't matter to me. You have to plan ahead during the holidays!

swimr4life
April 27th, 2007, 10:32 AM
I love extra crunchy Jif. It is the best to me as far as being peanutty! The only reason I buy it is because I like the taste. I grew up eating Peter Pan. It's ok and I will buy it occasionally if it is on sale. Smuckers Natural PB is very good too but, pricey.

Seagurl51
April 27th, 2007, 12:30 PM
Moms (and Dad's)

Would you rather see a little kid eating the peanut butter (perhaps dressed at Captain Hook) or a jar of jam seraching for his/her long lost companion?

ensignada
April 27th, 2007, 12:31 PM
Yep. No alcohol sales after 11:45 Saturday night. Usually doesn't matter to me. You have to plan ahead during the holidays!

After 11:45pm? You folks live on the wild side. Here in PA, unless you go to a bar, the well dries up at 9pm everyday of the week except Sun when stores (the few that are allowed to be open) close at 5.

Slowswim
April 27th, 2007, 12:34 PM
After 11:45pm? You folks live on the wild side. Here in PA, unless you go to a bar, the well dries up at 9pm everyday of the week except Sun when stores (the few that are allowed to be open) close at 5.

This form of logic seems to dictate a higher then otherwise would be number of drunk drivers on the roads.

chickadee
April 27th, 2007, 01:14 PM
As a PA resident I share your pain Imspoiled and Ensignada! But I work in Delaware and can hit the good stores on the way home. My home state of Maine sells alcohol beer and wine all in the grocery store, very convienent. :drink: I think Marmite is probably right up there with the culinary delight of the PA dutch - scrapple. I dare anyone to eat that before a meet. My daughter and husband love it. And before you ask Swimstud scrapple is all the leftover parts of pork I believe, ground up, compressed into a brick, then cut into slices at home and fried usually for breakfast. Although Marmite sounds good if you are low in iron.
Seagurl I would vote for the jar of jam searching - and by the way my husband does all the grocery shopping and save us a ton of money, except in the cereal aisle where he falls victim to Captain Crunch and Lucky Charms - yech! My daughter and I also call him the stain master as he does laundry the best. Sinks like a brick in the pool though every lap is a struggle - too much soccer.

SwimStud
April 27th, 2007, 01:24 PM
Scrapple sounds OK. At lease no worse than Black Pudding, which is awesome with a fry up.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_pudding

Other treats: Bubble and Squeak, The left over potatoes, greens, carrots, peas, spinach, cabbage etc from Sunday's roast. Mashed together and fried until it's crispy underneath. Served with Bacon or sausages the next day--you can "manufacture" the ingredients too just to make Bubble and Squeak
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubble_and_Squeak

The worst thing to eat in the USA is PBJ...you can't scare me with anything else. :joker:

Seagurl51
April 27th, 2007, 01:26 PM
Scrapple sounds OK. At lease no worse than Black Pudding, which is awesome with a fry up.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_pudding

EEEWWW!!! OMG!!! Scrapple is the natiest stuff ever!!!

chickadee
April 27th, 2007, 01:33 PM
I love Bubble and Squeak ! - my husband's family is from England, Hull,but the Black pudding you can keep. yikes. And the bangers were a big disappointment, kinda of a poor grade hot dog to eat with breakfast.

SwimStud
April 27th, 2007, 01:36 PM
kinda of a poor grade hot dog to eat with breakfast.

I have no clue what you were served, but a proper banger made from cumberland pork is 5 times the sausage any ground up cow's brain that you call a frank is...

:thhbbb: ;)

Leonard Jansen
April 27th, 2007, 02:16 PM

So many of the laws of this wonderful state (PA) go back to the influence of various religious groups whose main creed seems to revolve around sucking the fun and joy from life. The amount of regulation is oppressive and anyone starting a business here needs their head examined. Here in (South) Central PA, it is especially bad due to it being a stronghold of said religious groups.

Q: How many Central Pennsylvanians does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: All of them. One to change the bulb and all the rest to discuss what a sin it is to want more light.

Pennsylvania: Pittsburgh in the west, Philly in the east and Mississippi in the middle.

Pennsylvania - Gateway to New Jersey! (The state had a motto contest a little while back and this was my entry. It didn't get picked.)

-LBJ

chickadee
April 27th, 2007, 02:20 PM
Well it was labeled "bangers" - had a mushy cereal like quality like it had been ground to oblivion - sorry :dunno: Just didnt seem to cook up well...
And I dont eat hot dogs but once or twice a year at a ball park - citizenship requirement for Americans. Now I did like the brews at the pubs....:drink:
something called swan ale and I did like the steak and kidney pies, am I forgiven?

ensignada
April 27th, 2007, 02:22 PM
Pennsylvania - Gateway to New Jersey! (The state had a motto contest a little while back and this was my entry. It didn't get picked.)

-LBJ

Are you talking about John Grogan's column? My favorite was "Pennsylvania - Almost a Rectangle".

ensignada
April 27th, 2007, 02:24 PM
Scrapple - German frugality taken to the nth degree. (shuddering smiley)

SwimStud
April 27th, 2007, 02:25 PM
Well it was labeled "bangers" - had a mushy cereal like quality like it had been ground to oblivion - sorry :dunno: Just didnt seem to cook up well...
And I dont eat hot dogs but once or twice a year at a ball park - citizenship requirement for Americans. Now I did like the brews at the pubs....:drink:
something called swan ale and I did like the steak and kidney pies, am I forgiven?

Hehe...of course. You might have gotten some not so good bangers. Or possibly the cook mangled them...just tell me you had fish and chips with salt and vinegar...

Karen Duggan
April 27th, 2007, 02:26 PM
Our last call is at 1:30am and the bars close at 2am.

At the ballparks "last call" is the 6th inning.

Our grocery stores and liquor stores have very liberal hours--most open all night. Did I say liberal, hmmph, I must live in CA, where if it's not fruits and nuts, it's flakes!!! (I can say that as a native- where I have friends in all categories) :rofl:

Leonard Jansen
April 27th, 2007, 02:27 PM
Scrapple - German frugality taken to the nth degree. (shuddering smiley)

Scrapple is the stuff that, by law, they aren't allowed to put into dog food.

-LBJ

ensignada
April 27th, 2007, 02:31 PM
Scrapple is the stuff that, by law, they aren't allowed to put into dog food.

-LBJ

Leonard - Would you be my cultural tutor?

swimmieAvsFan
April 27th, 2007, 02:35 PM
...I think Marmite is probably right up there with the culinary delight of the PA dutch - scrapple. I dare anyone to eat that before a meet. My daughter and husband love it. And before you ask Swimstud scrapple is all the leftover parts of pork I believe, ground up, compressed into a brick, then cut into slices at home and fried usually for breakfast...

hehehehe. actually chickadee, when i was an age-grouper, we were at a prelim/finals meet in NJ and we went to a diner for lunch between sessions. for some crazy reason i had the scrapple, knowing full well i had the 200 free in finals that night. and guess what? i dropped like 2.5 seconds from my best time (not my prelim time, but lifetime best) that night.
it must have been the scrapple, right?

p.s.- to clarify, i'm originally from PA, and i definitely grew up with a large PA dutch influence in my family...

aquaFeisty
April 27th, 2007, 02:45 PM
In a totally unrelated matter, I am driving to PA before my next meet and stocking up on scrapple...

Karen Duggan
April 27th, 2007, 02:53 PM
Every summer we try to spend two weeks in CT with Pat's family- so many cousins for my children to see...

One year, we drove to PA to see Gettysburg and that bit. On the way we stopped at a cute roadside cafe and had shoe-fly pie. It was yummy :)

BTW, my son Patrick and I attempted to make PB bars last night. FYI, the
2 1/2 c of graham crackers is two whole packages (to grind up), and the 2 c of choc chips is the whole bag. Good to know for the future. I say attempted because the PB bar came out, but the chocolate wasn't too good. Cheap, store brand- next time I'll go for the Hershey's :)

Thanks for the recipe ladies, it is tasty. (Although I must add I almost got sick to my stomach, because it is SO rich. I only had a couple of small bites.)
Yes, moderation is the key for this tasty treat :)

chickadee
April 27th, 2007, 03:27 PM
Yes Swimstud we had fish and chips, with the salt and vinegar wasnt too bad, I grew up on fin an' haddie so I can eat almost any fish! And I gorged on any type of scone I could find, skipped the clotted cream though.
Leonard - I am telling my husband your quote this weekend, when after 19 years he will still ask if I want any....
swimmieavsfan - you have a few strong constitution! That or one of those kid stomachs that can eat ice cream, cotton candy, hot dogs and then ride a roller coaster. I am willing to try anything to lower times, but the vision of chowing on scrapple in a pool is pretty nasty.

SwimStud
April 27th, 2007, 03:29 PM
skipped the clotted cream though.

Now, why would you do that??

chickadee
April 27th, 2007, 04:05 PM
AH HA - I have just discovered that World Market of which there is one near my work site, sells, dadadada...Marmite! I will try to pick some up in the near future! :woot:

SwimStud
April 27th, 2007, 04:11 PM
This place has a lot of British foodstuffs that you can mail order.

http://www.pennyhapenny.com/

Hope it doesn't infringe on advertising regs...

ensignada
April 27th, 2007, 07:49 PM
I love shopping in foreign grocery stores!

Now I know where to go if I ever want canned haggis (skinless, of course) or, my new favorite dessert, spotted dick.

514 515

poolraat
April 27th, 2007, 08:01 PM

Now I know where to go if I ever want canned haggis (skinless, of course) or, my new favorite dessert, spotted dick.

514 515

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

SwimStud
April 27th, 2007, 09:47 PM

514 515

Spotted dick with custard is phenomenal.

Seagurl51
April 27th, 2007, 09:57 PM
Spotted dick with custard is phenomenal.

Someone wanna tell me exactly what "spotted dick" is?

Karen Duggan
April 27th, 2007, 10:14 PM
I prefer the chocolate kind :rofl:
:eek:

Kyra- I'm sure the kind I'm thinking of isn't what's in the can! At least I hope not.
I'm also thinking that spotted dick could be when someone named Richard has chicken pox! :p

ensignada
April 27th, 2007, 10:22 PM
Someone wanna tell me exactly what "spotted dick" is?

Sounds really good, actually. :)

from Wikipedia

Spotted Dick is a steamed pudding, containing dried fruits (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dried_fruit), usually currants (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zante_currant). The dessert (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dessert) is especially popular in the United Kingdom (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom), usually served either with custard (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Custard) or with butter (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butter) and brown sugar (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_sugar). Spotted refers to the currants (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Currants) (which resemble spots) and dick may be a corruption of the word dough (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dough).[citation needed] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citing_sources) It is also known as Spotted Dog, Plum Duff, Figgy Dowdy, as well as Plum Bolsterand Spotted Richard.

A photo:

Seagurl51
April 28th, 2007, 10:46 AM
Thanks. That makes sense now. I thought it was like mincemeat.

Ian Smith
April 28th, 2007, 06:49 PM
Given the avatar, I'm surprised this corny old joke has not come up:

Knock, knock
Who's there?
Pa
Pa who?
Pa won't but Marmite

(groan)

BTW, you can buy Marnite in one lb jars in Montreal.
Beats Australia's Vegemite any day.

Ian.

Leonard Jansen
April 29th, 2007, 07:25 AM

Leonard - Would you be my cultural tutor?

The only culture in Central PA is in petri dishes and is resistant to antibiotics.

Another Central PA joke:
Q: What goes: "clip-clop, clip-clop, clip-clop, BLAM!, clip-clop, clip-clop, clip-clop"?
A: An Amish drive-by shooting.

And...:
Q: What goes: "clip-clop, clip-clop, clip-clop, :mad: , clip-clop, clip-clop, clip-clop"?
A: An Amish drive-by shunning.

-LBJ

Leonard Jansen
April 29th, 2007, 07:31 AM
In a totally unrelated matter, I am driving to PA before my next meet and stocking up on scrapple...

If things are that bad for you, I'm sure the good people here would be willing to take up a collection so you can buy food instead. Either that or we could buy you a shovel so you can scrape up road kill instead.

-LBJ

Leonard Jansen
April 29th, 2007, 07:34 AM
AH HA - I have just discovered that World Market of which there is one near my work site, sells, dadadada...Marmite! I will try to pick some up in the near future!

Don't listen to the Pommies and Pommie-lovers in the crowd. Get Vegemite instead of Marmite if you can.

-LBJ

aquaFeisty
April 29th, 2007, 07:36 AM
Just so you don't fear for my health and well-being, Leonard, I was 100% joking. I went to University of Delaware and have seen the scrapple served up in the dining halls. Hmmm... scary, to be sure.

chickadee
April 30th, 2007, 10:57 AM
Leonard, I get behind buggy's on a daily basis, I pass several amish farms on my daily commute, I will chuckle every time I see a buggie now, and the shovel joke was too much - esp given the amount of road kill out by us....:rofl:
And my Canadian Scottish Grandmother use to make something very close to spotted dick at Christmas, Christmas pudding with a rum hard sauce delicious! Unfortunately the recipe died with her. :( But I still make a real mincemeat pie with vension at Christmas even if I am the only one eating it!

SwimStud
April 30th, 2007, 11:00 AM
Leonard, I get behind buggy's on a daily basis, I pass several amish farms on my daily commute, I will chuckle every time I see a buggie now, and the shovel joke was too much - esp given the amount of road kill out by us....:rofl:
And my Canadian Scottish Grandmother use to make something very close to spotted dick at Christmas, Christmas pudding with a rum hard sauce delicious! Unfortunately the recipe died with her. :( But I still make a real mincemeat pie with vension at Christmas even if I am the only one eating it!

Thankfully I get a Fortnum and Mason Christmas pudding each year...sent in a quasi "Red Cross" survivial package from my family, withoother assorted goodies.

Piccalilli anyone?

ensignada
April 30th, 2007, 11:17 AM
That photo makes it look awful but it sounds pretty good. I love pickled anything (esp hot Indian pickles).

SwimStud
April 30th, 2007, 11:29 AM
I like the various chutneys on pappadoms...

Seagurl51
April 30th, 2007, 12:01 PM
Stud, what on earth is that a picture of? It's kinda gross.

SwimStud
April 30th, 2007, 12:03 PM

Don't worry Kyra.. I won't eat it before we make out...LOL

It's a spicy mustard pickle, "Piccalilli"

Love you.

ROFL

poolraat
April 30th, 2007, 01:23 PM

I agree with Kyra. I'll say what I think it looks like.......
It looks like it would attract flies.

Seagurl51
April 30th, 2007, 01:29 PM
Don't worry Kyra.. I won't eat it before we make out...LOL

It's a spicy mustard pickle, "Piccalilli"

Love you.

ROFL

Mustard Pickle? Umm...great.

I thought we agreed not tell anyone!!! Heather's gonna kill me...........

Seagurl51
April 30th, 2007, 11:56 PM
Please give me thoughts!!! I made the ad below and need to know if it's good or not. Would it catch your attention if you were reading a magazine. It'd run in a women's mag, like Ladies Home Journal or something, and it's full page, full colour.

SwimStud
May 1st, 2007, 08:34 AM
OK she looks way too happy?

swimr4life
May 1st, 2007, 08:56 AM
Is that Tinkerbell?

dorothyrde
May 1st, 2007, 09:16 AM
It's not Tinkerbell. Honestly, no, it would not catch my eye. Not sure what it is, whether it is too 50ish, or the woman and the PB just don't go together in my mind.

When it comes to advertising, it is usually music(like a catchy jingle) which you cannot do here, or humor that would catch me, or make me remember.

SwimStud
May 1st, 2007, 09:32 AM
It's not Tinkerbell. Honestly, no, it would not catch my eye. Not sure what it is, whether it is too 50ish, or the woman and the PB just don't go together in my mind.

When it comes to advertising, it is usually music(like a catchy jingle) which you cannot do here, or humor that would catch me, or make me remember.

What is the telephone she's holding having to do with anything? I try not to eat and talk on the phone..nothing says "Customer Appreciation" than a "cement mixer" masticating on the other end of the line...and what's with that hat dammit?

ensignada
May 1st, 2007, 09:57 AM
If it catches my eye, Kyra, it's because of the cognitive dissonance the images create: an overtly sensual woman in an old-fashioned style talking about peanut butter? That image just doesn't compute for me. Is the old-fashioned style a nod to PP's long brand history? As a "modern" stay-at-home mom, I can't relate to lounging langorously in my skivvies, and I don't think I can relate to anyone who does!

I think the copy may be problematic as well when coupled with the old-fashioned image: "Have you heard about PP?" Oh yeah, we all have and will be avoiding it like the plague until the manufacturer can assure us that the problem has been solved. The old-fashioned imagery doesn't reinforce the state-of-the-art sanitation that I think most people want their food to be associated with.

You've got a tough assignment.

Slowswim
May 1st, 2007, 10:00 AM
It would catch my eye, but would convince me to buy it. I do almost all the grocery shopping in our house. Being a guy a slight modification to a ripped swimmer (she basically in a swim suit now) saying its what she trains on do push me toward buying. I agree, alittle less 50-ish would be good.

Just a thought

BTW: My pre-race meal is always two PB&Js

Seagurl51
May 1st, 2007, 12:13 PM
Thanks for the feedback. This assignment is killing me. I'm tapped out of creative juice. And like Barb said, anytime you mention PP people think death...........not good. :(

I'll keep what everyone said in mind though and go back to the beginning.

SwimStud
May 1st, 2007, 12:18 PM
Well I don't know but I think it's a 50's SAHM who is obviously freeloading around the pool in the back yard whille the Man provides for the family.

Looks to me like the phone call is her organising a magerita hour at her place to stir up the girls about this new thing call "equality!" Apparently she wants to be a doctor now...

Who knew that peanut butter could be so controversial and thought provoking...

LOL

*runs for shelter*

Slowswim
May 1st, 2007, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the feedback. This assignment is killing me. I'm tapped out of creative juice. And like Barb said, anytime you mention PP people think death...........not good. :(

I'll keep what everyone said in mind though and go back to the beginning.

I don't think you need to start all over, but I don't get what demographic you are aiming for.

Working Mom: How about a mom and kids all healthy have a fast and healthy lunch (Pool side) while talking on her blackberry...say: I'll be back in the office as soon as my family has lunch.

or

SAHM: She could be getting a massage while telling the kids to hurry up and finish lunch so they can go outside and play.

or

Dads: Basically any blonde in a bikini. She doesn't have to talk.

:rofl: :rofl:

Okay, tongue in cheek, but you have a really good start, just define the audience and show a happy/ heathy reason to buy it or use my ideas and go for a shock factor.

Good luck!

</IMG></IMG></IMG>

SwimStud
May 1st, 2007, 12:47 PM
I
Dads: Basically any blonde in a bikini. She doesn't have to talk.

:rofl: :rofl:

Better she doesn't talk. "Loose Lips Sink Ships"

Seagurl51
May 1st, 2007, 12:58 PM
The demographic is women probably middle-aged with familys. Most likely stay at home. I really like the look of the old fashioned/vintage ads, so that's what I was going for. Then I found this pic of a pin-up girl on the phone, thought it was classy yet eye catching, and since she was on the phone hence the "Have you heard..."

I have a few other ideas...so how 'bout these:

---an ad that looks like a letter written by a kid asking for mom to buy PP
---something with the Backyardigans (since they always go for a snack)
---a boy dressed as a pirate in a backyard with the tagline "Even captain hook needs a break" (this is my fav., but my photoshop skills and this idea don't mesh so I'm not sure if I could do it)

knelson
May 1st, 2007, 01:05 PM
I like the pinup ad, Kyra, but then again I think pinup art is really cool. I'm sure ones appreciation of that art would be a major factor in their reaction to the ad.

I like your "even Capt. Hook needs a break" idea, too! Just find a kid, a pirate suit, a backyard and a digital camera and you're all set!

Slowswim
May 1st, 2007, 01:13 PM
The pin-up girl would be great for the WWII crowd. My guess is working Moms want to see that as much as SAHM liked the "Freeloading" comment. :2cents:

The Captain Hook thing is good. Very recognizable to the target group.

How about a woman e-mailing and girl friend "Have you heard about..." If she's on a laptop, you really couldn't tell if she is at home or the office.

or a split screen where a woman is talking to her husband (who is in the grocery store isle) and she says, "You're kidding, haven't you heard ...."

Now if you decide to go with the Blonde in a bikini; I'd be happy to judge the models. :groovy:
</IMG></IMG>

Seagurl51
May 1st, 2007, 01:22 PM
What if the target audience wasn't middle age, but 18-24?

It seems like the older you get the more brand loyalty you have. So maybe trying to appeal to the younger people who don't have that yet, this ad could actually convince them. I'd say the pin-up is coming back into fashion...it was a big hit at Halloween last year....maybe I'll just change my market to fit the ad..........

knelson
May 1st, 2007, 01:27 PM
I'd say the pin-up is coming back into fashion...it was a big hit at Halloween last year....

OK, let's see the pictures! :)

A lot of people will like the pinup, but it might not be right for Ladies Home Journal. I imagine most of the ads in LHJ are pretty white bread. Anything overtly sexual is running the risk of turning off a good percentage of readers.

Seagurl51
May 1st, 2007, 01:31 PM
OK, let's see the pictures! :)

A lot of people will like the pinup, but it might not be right for Ladies Home Journal. I imagine most of the ads in LHJ are pretty white bread. Anything overtly sexual is running the risk of turning off a good percentage of readers.

I was a wood nymph........but I was almost a pin-up mobster.....

I agree LHJ would be bad....maybe it could run in like Cosmo, or Bon Appetit, or Martha or O or something............

Slowswim
May 1st, 2007, 02:27 PM
What if the target audience wasn't middle age, but 18-24?

It seems like the older you get the more brand loyalty you have. So maybe trying to appeal to the younger people who don't have that yet, this ad could actually convince them. I'd say the pin-up is coming back into fashion...it was a big hit at Halloween last year....maybe I'll just change my market to fit the ad..........

18-24 would be tough. I don't believe they eat much peanut Butter regardless of brand. If they have kids they're too young, PB chokes infants.

Best I see:

The staving student that needed money for beer (a take off on the toilet paper or beer ads of one Super Bowl).

PB&J is under 200 calories and has protein, it a stretch but you could aim at the weight conscious like lite beer does. Peanut Butter and Lite beer aren't inherently cool, but six pack abs are!!!:drink:
</IMG>

swimr4life
May 1st, 2007, 02:33 PM
Kyra, I would go the route of trying to prove that Peter Pan had improved on the quality controkl of their product. People are scared of that brand right now. Maybe have a scientific looking woman saying how they appreciate all the customers that have made PP their choice in the past and want to encourage them to continue buying their brand due to the improved standards. Maybe have a coupon attached to the ad?

SwimStud
May 1st, 2007, 02:35 PM
Kyra, I would go the route of trying to prove that Peter Pan had improved on the quality controkl of their product. People are scared of that brand right now. Maybe have a scientific looking woman saying how they appreciate all the customers that have made PP their choice in the past and want to encourage them to continue buying their brand due to the improved standards. Maybe have a coupon attached to the ad?

pffffft that's too stuffy

"Peter Pan. Now with added viagara!"
Sales through the roof!

Seagurl51
May 1st, 2007, 03:17 PM
18-24 would be tough. I don't believe they eat much peanut Butter regardless of brand. If they have kids they're too young, PB chokes infants.

I have to disagree. All I eat is peanut butter. It's so cheap and easy. 5 bucks and I can get enough food to eat for a week making PB&J.

I've thought of doing that too Beth, just addressing the issue right up front.

Maybe I will just add Viagra......."Let Peter Pan peanut butter give a little extra perk to your loaf." :rofl:

Slowswim
May 1st, 2007, 03:23 PM
I have to disagree. All I eat is peanut butter. It's so cheap and easy. 5 bucks and I can get enough food to eat for a week making PB&J.

I think you just agreed with me. You are an athlete and concerned with what you eat and that you eat. I believe most 18-24 YO girls just what to be thin and are more likely to starve themselves.

So the starving student and six pack abs commercials are good ideas for your demographic!:cool:
</IMG>

Seagurl51
May 1st, 2007, 03:27 PM
I think you just agreed with me. You are an athlete and concerned with what you eat and that you eat. I believe most 18-24 YO girls just what to be thin and are more likely to starve themselves.

So the starving student and six pack abs commercials are good ideas for your demographic!:cool:
</IMG>

Oh yea...I guess you're right. Yea, I could put a pack of beer next to a jar of PP and it would sell like hot cakes!

Slowswim
May 1st, 2007, 03:49 PM
SeaGurl51: Where were you when I was dating!!!!:groovy: :drink:

knelson
May 1st, 2007, 04:05 PM
I believe most 18-24 YO girls just what to be thin and are more likely to starve themselves.

Not exactly. Yeah, there are plenty of thin ones out there, but I see plenty in that age bracket that could stand to lay off the peanut butter for a while, know what I mean?

Seagurl51
May 1st, 2007, 04:10 PM
Not exactly. Yeah, there are plenty of thin ones out there, but I see plenty in that age bracket that could stand to lay off the peanut butter for a while, know what I mean?

Another reason I thought pin-up girls might be good. They're healthy looking, not too thin or fat. See...advertising can promote good things!!! ;)

And Slowswim..hahahaha! :D

Sofia88
May 4th, 2016, 03:04 PM
Don't forget Mother's Day is May 8th! Its early this year so don't forget MOM!!! All moms, grandma's and all the special women in your life will appreciate your thoughtfulness on this special day which celebrates WOMEN.