PDA

View Full Version : Shamless sharing!

swimr4life
April 26th, 2007, 11:02 AM
Ok...you know you want to do it but don't want to seem like you are bragging. This is similar to the attaboy/attagirl thread. Come here to brag about accomplishments:yours, your family's or your kids without the guilt! :banana:

Seagurl51
April 26th, 2007, 11:08 AM
I wanna brag about myself and how just generally amazing I am. :D

Actually I did make an ad for class earlier this week that I was really proud of.

The Fortress
April 26th, 2007, 11:15 AM
I wanna brag about myself and how just generally amazing I am. :D.

Can you be more specific? :rofl:

Hilarious thread Beth! I'm assuming we can rat out people to, as I am about to. I love bragging about my friends. First, attagirl to your daughter who aced all her AP exams and got 3 college credits. Smart mommy & smart daughter!

Attagirl to Mollie who made the FINA Top Ten! One of very few PV swimmers. Smokin fast! All that training really pays off in the 200s.

Attagirl to Julie who is currently #1 in the nation in her age group in the 1650!! She works so hard she totally deserves it!

And I am personally overjoyed to report that Mini-Fort shows signs of being a good sprint flyer, so I don't have to watch breaststroke all the time! :banana:

(And for LBJ, I would just like to point out that Fortson got an A in Honors Math 8, even though he thinks math is godawful boring. :thhbbb: )

SwimStud
April 26th, 2007, 12:11 PM
well I would join this thread but I don't have that long to type out everything that I would need to say...

...although I proud of this forum community for getting and keeping people more invovled in their swimming beyond lapping (not that there's anything wrong with lapping)

poolraat
April 26th, 2007, 01:46 PM
Hilarious thread Beth! I'm assuming we can rat out people to, as I am about to. I love bragging about my friends......

I'm going to rat out Fort, who, in her previous post, failed to mention that she also made the FINA rankings.

She is amazing!:applaud:
Beth is amazing!:applaud:
Rich is amazing!:applaud:
And you are too, Kyra.:wave:

And so are the rest of you.

newmastersswimmer
April 26th, 2007, 02:48 PM
I'm going to rat out Fort, who, in her previous post, failed to mention that she also made the FINA rankings.

She is amazing!:applaud:
Beth is amazing!:applaud:
Rich is amazing!:applaud:
And you are too, Kyra.:wave:

And so are the rest of you.

I noticed that Fort made the Fina top 10 list in both the 50 SCM back and 50 SCM fly! Way to go Fort! I may have missed one or more others as well?

Sense I am part of that "rest of you" that you mentioned Poolraat....I want to say thanks and that you too are also pretty amazing IMO. This guy makes his own fishing lures, ties his own flies for fly fishing ...and he makes his own rods and reels.... which is pretty darn impressive IMO! ...(I've seen some pictures of his handywork....He is quite an outdoorsman and an excellent fly-fisher!!). Another thing many of you may not know about him is that Poolraat was also once a very fast marathon runner and tri-athelete back in the day as well! ....and now he is a pretty fast Masters swimmer making good improvements at every meet he swims in. Not bad I must say Poolraat!

Bork

Seagurl51
April 26th, 2007, 03:32 PM
I love that this is turning into us talking about how great we are to other people talking about how great we are. Because as much as myself telling me I'm amazing, hearing it from other people is just that much better.

"But enough about me, let's hear what you think of me."

:rofl:

The Fortress
April 26th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Kyra, you are amazing! Back to thread at hand ...

Lil lil Fort has the most amazing smile in the world. I call her my sparkle fairy because she lights up my life.

And Mini-Fort just set the school record in the mile today in PE. Yes, soon every single person in the family will be a runner too and my running shoe bills will be worse than ever!

Seagurl51
April 26th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Lil lil Fort is very cute!!

Julie Roddin
April 26th, 2007, 03:47 PM
I'm assuming we can rat out people to, as I am about to. I love bragging about my friends.

Um, and who's #1 currently in the 50 free in her age group?!?!?!? Oh yeah, that would be Fort :)

swimr4life
April 26th, 2007, 04:52 PM
Yesssss! Fort is a fantastic FAF sprinter! #1 in the nation right now in the 50 free! I'm so proud of my sis!

I'm also going to brag on my girls! Kristy just got 3rd in the state in a Holocaust Essay contest. She got to go to the Georgia State Capitol for a Holcaust Day of Remebrance last Friday where the Governor, Lt. Governor and Sect. of State all spoke. They had a very touching ceremony where Holocaust survivors and military that liberated the prison camps were honored. Kristy was presented a beautiful bronze medal. It was so cool.

Yesterday I got to go to "God's country" :bow: - Athens, Ga - home of UGA! ;) Kelly was honored for being in the top 5% of her class.

I'm one proud mama!!! :woot:

Karen Duggan
April 26th, 2007, 04:57 PM
Wow, Beth. That is terrific! Congratulations to your whole family. I like to think that family members always contribute to success in some way :)

I've been too busy being silly and haven't noticed swim rankings. Not that I'm in any with my performances over the last several years... but WAY TO GO to Fort and Julie, and congratulations on your accomplishments!
:banana:

The Fortress
April 26th, 2007, 04:58 PM
Yesssss! Fort is a fantastic FAF sprinter! #1 in the nation right now in the 50 free! I'm so proud of my sis!

I'm also going to brag on my girls! Kristy just got 3rd in the state in a Holocaust Essay contest. She got to go to the Georgia State Capitol for a Holcaust Day of Remebrance last Friday where the Governor, Lt. Governor and Sect. State all spoke. They had a very touching ceremony where Holocaust survivors and military that liberated the prison camps were honored. Kristy was presented a beautiful bronze medal. It was so cool.

Yesterday I got to go to "God's country" :bow: - Athens, Ga - home of UGA! ;) Kelly was honored for being in the top 5% of her class.

You should be so proud. That is fabulous! :applaud: Those are some of the great moments of being a parent. I hope you took pics. ;)

chickadee
April 27th, 2007, 04:16 PM
congrats on all the top 10's - I am a long way off anything like that but I can dream....

I do want to brag about my girl, 9, who earned her orange karate belt this week, her teacher said she learned the form very quickly. And she was had her first band concert this past week and she and one of her best friends played up in the 5 and 6th grade band in cornet as they mastered their grades songs and the next grades songs as well, not to bad for her first year on horn!
Me...I donated blood this am and didnt pass out when it squirted all over the station and my shirt! Pretty damn proud I didnot go all qoosy....:p

newmastersswimmer
April 27th, 2007, 04:37 PM
Congrats to Beth's daughter Kristy for winning 3rd place in that state wide competition!! I'm sure the awards ceremony will be a fond memory for both of you all for a long time! You must have done something right then raising her I guess eh Beth!! (Congrats to Beth for being such a great Mom!). ...I don't know about the God's country being in Athen's GA part of your posting though Beth....Everyone Knows that God's Country is in Texas and/or Knoxville TN now! LOL! Also congrats to Chickadee's daugter for both making Orange Belt in karate and for learning how to play the cornet so well after only one year of practice (and only being 9 years old at that!).

Bork

CreamPuff
April 27th, 2007, 06:03 PM

I'm also going to brag on my girls! Kristy just got 3rd in the state in a Holocaust Essay contest. She got to go to the Georgia State Capitol for a Holcaust Day of Remebrance last Friday where the Governor, Lt. Governor and Sect. of State all spoke. They had a very touching ceremony where Holocaust survivors and military that liberated the prison camps were honored. Kristy was presented a beautiful bronze medal. It was so cool.

Amazing! Why am I not surprised!?
Way to go Beth and Family!!
I know I should know this - what the heck is FAF?
Flyers and Freestylers?
Fun and Fast?

The Fortress
April 27th, 2007, 06:08 PM
Amazing! Why am I not surprised!?
Way to go Beth and Family?
I know I should know this - what the heck is FAF?
Flyers and Freestylers?
Fun and Fast?

Well, Wonderwoman, if you think back to the "unashamed inanity superhero quiz" thread (why isn't it here in the nsr section?!), you may recall that my twin and I were both The Flash, who is "fast, athletic, and flirtatious" or FAF. So Beth and I have adopted it for our user name, along with Draculina! (Heather's an FAF too.)

Don't worry. I've had many people ask me via pm what the heck FAF is. Now all nsr reading people will know.

Good luck this weekend to you and Beth! Swim faster faster.

CreamPuff
April 27th, 2007, 06:14 PM
Well, Wonderwoman, if you think back to the "unashamed inanity superhero quiz" thread (why isn't it here in the nsr section?!), you may recall that my twin and I were both The Flash, who is "fast, athletic, and flirtatious" or FAF. So Beth and I have adopted it for our user name, along with Draculina! (Heather's an FAF too.)

Don't worry. I've had many people ask me via pm what the heck FAF is. Now all nsr reading people will know.

Good luck this weekend to you and Beth! Swim faster faster.

Ahhhhhh. . . excellent. Thanks for the explanation. I would agree w/ it.
Thank you Fortress. Goal @ Meet: HAVE FUN!

blainesapprentice
May 3rd, 2007, 01:12 PM
I'm not a gloater by nature...but given that this thread was set up for that purpose...I think I might just have to:

I got my case study back on Tuesday (case study: 35 single spaced typed, with an additional 40 pages of supplements, charts, testing forms, etc...) and I was the last to get mine back so I jokingly said to the teacher in a sassy way "Thank you" and he responded "No thank you" so I didn't take anything of it, he was just playing along, but I open the front cover and on my cover sheet I discovered this note:

"Morgan- This is hands down the best case study project I have ever read for this course. AMAZING! Excellent Work! A pleasure to read! AAAAAAAA+!"

so that was pretty ego inflating.

Then...today in another class for my major, I was sitting in my back row seat, minding my own buisness (actually venting about how my computer lost my paper that was due today and how I had to rewrite the last 1/4 of it in 45minutes) and the teacher is returning work and she comes to me and asks me if I got my case study back yet, and I said well yea. And she smiles at me and I'm like wow this is ackward so finally I say "He told you?" and she was like, "no, he told the whole department at the department meeting yesterday, including the Dean of Education."

wow. I'm not an ego-boosted maniac.

sorry. thats all.

Seagurl51
May 3rd, 2007, 01:15 PM
MORGAN THAT ROCKS!!!!!!!! Go you!!!!!

And I wanna gloat too....I had floor seats to The Roots concert last night and it was amazing!!

blainesapprentice
May 3rd, 2007, 01:22 PM
MORGAN THAT ROCKS!!!!!!!! Go you!!!!!

And I wanna gloat too....I had floor seats to The Roots concert last night and it was amazing!!

woah nelly, that is super!

WHY ARE YOU ON HERE AND NOT DOING WORK/ STUDYING?

WHY AM I ON HERE AND NOT DOING WORK/ STUDYING?

Seagurl51
May 3rd, 2007, 01:31 PM

woah nelly, that is super!

WHY ARE YOU ON HERE AND NOT DOING WORK/ STUDYING?

WHY AM I ON HERE AND NOT DOING WORK/ STUDYING?

Because this about a million thousand gazillion times more entertaining than studying.........but I do have to give my final presentation in about 15 minutes.

poolraat
May 3rd, 2007, 01:32 PM
Morgan, You Are Amazing!!!

That's a good feeling, isn't it. I had a similiar experience when in college. Since it happened in the dark ages I won't bore you guys with the details.

blainesapprentice
May 3rd, 2007, 01:35 PM
Good Luck Kyra-and I agree haha!

Thanks Floyd:-D

Idk what it is, I've really embraced the whole college academia thing--maybe its a fluke and the teachers just dont know what they're talking about--either way, I'm nervous to transfer to NYC for grad school after next year, because I've done so well here, I don't want to get there and realize I really dont know anything!

mattson
May 3rd, 2007, 02:04 PM
I didn't realize that the title was misspelled. I thought this discussion was about allowing someone to share your chamois ("shammy").

newmastersswimmer
May 3rd, 2007, 02:11 PM
Congratulations Morgan!! That is very impressive! That must have been the best Case Study he has ever seen to mention it to all the other professors at the Departmental meeting. You made quite an impression on him and the rest of the faculty I'm sure. It sounds to me like you are more than ready to tackle NYU! I wish you the best of luck in Grad School!

Bork

I'm not a gloater by nature...but given that this thread was set up for that purpose...I think I might just have to:

I got my case study back on Tuesday (case study: 35 single spaced typed, with an additional 40 pages of supplements, charts, testing forms, etc...) and I was the last to get mine back so I jokingly said to the teacher in a sassy way "Thank you" and he responded "No thank you" so I didn't take anything of it, he was just playing along, but I open the front cover and on my cover sheet I discovered this note:

"Morgan- This is hands down the best case study project I have ever read for this course. AMAZING! Excellent Work! A pleasure to read! AAAAAAAA+!"

so that was pretty ego inflating.

Then...today in another class for my major, I was sitting in my back row seat, minding my own buisness (actually venting about how my computer lost my paper that was due today and how I had to rewrite the last 1/4 of it in 45minutes) and the teacher is returning work and she comes to me and asks me if I got my case study back yet, and I said well yea. And she smiles at me and I'm like wow this is ackward so finally I say "He told you?" and she was like, "no, he told the whole department at the department meeting yesterday, including the Dean of Education."

wow. I'm not an ego-boosted maniac.

sorry. thats all.

ensignada
May 4th, 2007, 07:32 PM
Good Luck Kyra-and I agree haha!

Thanks Floyd:-D

Idk what it is, I've really embraced the whole college academia thing--maybe its a fluke and the teachers just dont know what they're talking about--either way, I'm nervous to transfer to NYC for grad school after next year, because I've done so well here, I don't want to get there and realize I really dont know anything!

You're going to do fine when you get to grad school. Professors don't get all gushy to other faculty over average to just good work. You've worked hard and someone in your profession noticed. Way to go.

(Just a heads up: grad school is all about realizing that you don't know anything! A friend of mine called it the "oh my God what am I doing here they must have made a horrible mistake" moment. When it hits, know that it's normal. ;))

ensignada
May 20th, 2007, 04:56 PM
Today I saw my 7 year old daughter swimming freestyle that actually looked like freestyle. All the things she's been working on (face down, don't lift the head, finishing the stroke) all came together for her. She swam about 200 yards (resting every 25) and it didn't fall apart, so I'm hoping she's got it now. She enjoyed doing it and felt proud of herself, which is the best part.

swim4me
May 20th, 2007, 07:47 PM
Congratulations Barb!!!:banana: :banana: :banana: It feels good watching your children doing what you love and she must love it also to work so hard at putting the stroke all together!!!:cheerleader: 200 is a long swim for a 7 year old. Pretty soon she should be able to swim longer lengths with you!!:fish2: :fish2:

The Fortress
May 21st, 2007, 10:58 PM
Today I saw my 7 year old daughter swimming freestyle that actually looked like freestyle. All the things she's been working on (face down, don't lift the head, finishing the stroke) all came together for her. She swam about 200 yards (resting every 25) and it didn't fall apart, so I'm hoping she's got it now. She enjoyed doing it and felt proud of herself, which is the best part.

That's pretty impressive. Great job!! I think she's on her way! My 6 year old is not really progressing rapidly swimming wise, but she learned to tie her tennis shoes pretty well this weekend! Coo.

I'm also very proud of my RHO (to use Barb's acronym), Mini-Fort. I already told Rich, but she got an award for Student of the Year today, which is given to the graduating 6th grader who most excels in academics, athletics and community service. So I guess she's an :angel: in school if not always at home. (Moreover, she beat out her secret nemesis for this award, which she loved.)

swim4me
May 22nd, 2007, 06:47 PM
Fort,

Congratulations on your RHO! I knew she was a good girl. Girls and moms seem to clash a lot during these teen/pre-teen years. Mine is leaving for college in August, and there are times when I wish she was already there :shakeshead: and other times when I don't want her to go :cry: . Mine is also good in academics and just had a presentation last week for her independent study mentorship (an honors program). A local TV (news) personalitiy and the station general manager who had been mentoring her came to see her presentation and product. They said that they have had interns from seniors in high school to seniors in college and that mine was better than most seniors in college that they deal with and she can have a real internship with them next summer :applaud:.

newmastersswimmer
May 23rd, 2007, 07:15 PM
Congrats to all you super Moms....Barb, Les, Kathy, and Beth! You guys must all being doing fantastic jobs to have such successful kids! ....and all girls at that! I will be waiting to read more about Barb's daughter down the road a bit when she becomes a grandmaster chess player! I have really enjoyed reading about the tremendous successes you all's daughters have already achieved in life! You guys should be both proud of your daughters as well as yourselves too! Congrats guys!! :wine: :smooch:

Bork

islandsox
May 25th, 2007, 07:53 AM
I love that this is turning into us talking about how great we are to other people talking about how great we are. Because as much as myself telling me I'm amazing, hearing it from other people is just that much better.

"But enough about me, let's hear what you think of me."

:rofl:

I was waiting for a post like this. I think you are supergirl, very very pretty, swims fast and manages to find the time to study. I admire you.:rofl:

islandsox
May 25th, 2007, 07:58 AM
I am really proud to be associated with all of you wonderfully witty people and some of whom are making those Top Tens. It says so much of your commitment. Now on to me.

I may no longer be in the Top Ten of anything, but it is because I choose an entirely different event. In order to be on top, I get the opportunity to swim 18 miles in about 15 months. And I picked it because I'll get to brag as being number 1 and that will stand for a lifetime. That is, if I complete it.:doh:

The Fortress
June 7th, 2007, 09:29 PM
My little 6 year old swam 400 meters of freestyle today (in one length increments, of course). She didn't even breathe every stroke. The "kindergarten" lane is so cute!

ensignada
June 7th, 2007, 09:47 PM
My little 6 year old swam 400 meters of freestyle today (in one length increments, of course). She didn't even breathe every stroke. The "kindergarten" lane is so cute!

You should post a video - we'd love to see it.

The Fortress
June 7th, 2007, 09:52 PM
I wish I could! Mr. Fort obviously doesn't realize that we all need feedback on our strokes. He bought a dvd recorder, not a digital recorder. I can't download it to the computer. I may go out and guy a cheap one myself one of these days. When I have a free minute. Any suggestions?

ensignada
June 7th, 2007, 09:59 PM
I wish I could! Mr. Fort obviously doesn't realize that we all need feedback on our strokes. He bought a dvd recorder, not a digital recorder. I can't download it to the computer. I may go out and guy a cheap one myself one of these days. When I have a free minute. Any suggestions?

Ken has managed to find a couple of great deals on reconditioned electronics from the manufacturer. That process, however, is time consuming and requires that you be both interested and knowledgeable. I'd head to Best Buy and chat with the kid at the digital recorder desk. I like BB because the sales associates are not on commission, so you can get some decent advice.

poolraat
June 7th, 2007, 11:36 PM

Does your digital camera have the capability to do video clips? That's how I got the video of my swims at my last few meets.

The Fortress
June 8th, 2007, 07:01 PM
Does your digital camera have the capability to do video clips? That's how I got the video of my swims at my last few meets.

I'm not sure. They appear as clips when you watch the video on the TV.