PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Race

tjburk
May 1st, 2007, 06:44 PM
Not trying to start a feud here....but I am curious of what people think of the possibility of Fred Thompson running for President in 2008?

SwimStud
May 1st, 2007, 07:02 PM
Not trying to start a feud here....but I am curious of what people think of the possibility of Fred Thompson running for President in 2008?

If he'll declare Breaststroke the only true stroke..I'll vote for him!

Seagurl51
May 1st, 2007, 07:07 PM
I'm of the Stewart/Colbert persuassion personally. ;)

Does anybody a good site to find out about the issues? I actually don't know anything about anybody.

newmastersswimmer
May 1st, 2007, 07:09 PM

He's just not knowledgeable enough about swimming history in general IMO....but other than that he seems o.k. ....right! LOL!! :rofl:

Bork

Muppet
May 1st, 2007, 11:36 PM
i would like to announce I am forming an exploratory commitee to examine my viability in a race for Forum VP of Smiley's as well as Hair Chair. :rofl:

knelson
May 2nd, 2007, 12:12 AM
No chance. The GOP had their eight years. Time for the Dems to take over again and mess things up just as much. :)

swimr4life
May 2nd, 2007, 09:05 AM
No chance. The GOP had their eight years. Time for the Dems to take over again and mess things up just as much. :)

:help: :eek:

islandsox
May 2nd, 2007, 09:37 AM

From what I have seen as to who is running, I vote yes, he appears through interviews to have some pretty solid ideas rather than rhetoric. I am neither party, I look for a candidate. The Dems scare me to death, I see no leadership whatsoever only blamestorming, and they already haven't done what they promised, but only political correctness from their views. And I wouldn't mind a woman president, but to me the one running is not the one I'd vote for.

Oh and the one thing that really gets my dander up is when Nancy Pelosi says they are "doing the will of the American people." Wish she wouldn't say that cause it does not include me. Needs to be re-phrased or dropped.

See Tracy? you ask for a yes or no and it's so hard to not get off on a tangent:rofl: .

tjburk
May 2nd, 2007, 09:48 AM
Actually Donna I agree with you on this.....I tend to lean more towards the right from my years in the military.....but I look for the best candidate out there during each election regardless of what party they belong to....and Billary scares me way too much. Fred Thompson just seems like a very genuine, straightforward type of person....kind of like Reagan was.

poolraat
May 2nd, 2007, 10:22 AM
I'm afraid of them all, regardless of whether they are "red or blue". IMO they all have only one agenda and that is to garner as much power and wealth as possible during their time in office.

Slowswim
May 2nd, 2007, 10:32 AM
Actually Donna I agree with you on this.....I tend to lean more towards the right from my years in the military.....but I look for the best candidate out there during each election regardless of what party they belong to....and Billary scares me way too much. Fred Thompson just seems like a very genuine, straightforward type of person....kind of like Reagan was.

I have to go with you on this. I just like him.

I issue is I have a hard time voting for President anyone who hasn't been a Governor of a sizable state. Like Pert said of Bill Clinton, :Arkansas (referring to it economic size) is irrelevant." Considering that the US President is the CEO of the worlds largest corporation, I'd let one that has actually proved they know what they ae doing. That limits my field to: Romania, Romania (NYC does count by economic power), umm...are there any other Governors on either side running?

knelson
May 2nd, 2007, 10:32 AM
Fred Thompson just seems like a very genuine, straightforward type of person....kind of like Reagan was.

Maybe because they're both actors they're just better at pulling the wool over your eyes.

Yeah, Reagan seemed like a great guy, but I can't say I'm a big fan of what he did during his Presidency.

Slowswim
May 2nd, 2007, 10:36 AM
I'm afraid of them all, regardless of whether they are "red or blue". IMO they all have only one agenda and that is to garner as much power and wealth as possible during their time in office.

I like political debates. One thing I've noticed, if you can refrain form calling each other insulting names that don't move the discussion forward; after a few minutes you realize the Dems and Reps are very close to agreement on virtually every issue.:hug:

IMO: Its the power grab that causes the fights. There doesn't seem to be any real desire to fix anything. All I see is finger pointing and press statements.:frustrated: :dedhorse:

SwimStud
May 2nd, 2007, 10:37 AM
I think it's time we changed the comstitution so that I could run for office.
I'll have you guys standing in orderly "queues" instead of "lines" and putting the "u" back into words like "colour" before you can utter..."Boston Tea Party"

;)

Vote For Stud...
:lolup:

Slowswim
May 2nd, 2007, 10:45 AM

Can you say Arnold the Prezinator:rofl:

ensignada
May 2nd, 2007, 11:28 AM
I'll have you guys standing in orderly "queues" instead of "lines" and putting the "u" back into words like "colour" before you can utter..."Boston Tea Party"

;)

Vote For Stud...

Well, Marmite on toast wouldn't be any wierder than catsup on cottage cheese as a presidential delicacy, I suppose.

knelson
May 2nd, 2007, 11:30 AM

I draw the line at pronouncing the letter z as "zed."

SwimStud
May 2nd, 2007, 11:34 AM
I draw the line at pronouncing the letter z as "zed."

Then you can move!
:rofl:

this is just an elaborate plan to get Kirk out of the Age Group...;)

knelson
May 2nd, 2007, 11:37 AM
Then you can move!

I guess I won't be able to go to Canada, though! I better pack everything in the boot of my car and move to Mexico...Oh no, the assimilation has already begun :)

SwimStud
May 2nd, 2007, 11:42 AM
I guess I won't be able to go to Canada, though! I better pack everything in the boot of my car and move to Mexico...Oh no, the assimilation has already begun :)

haha sadly Kirk it seems we're stuck together in age group for the duration ( I just checked ages) at least though it will lead to many "duels." Hopefully I can charge up the progress ladder a bit to give you a run for your money on a few events.

FlyQueen
May 2nd, 2007, 01:53 PM
I'm as liberal as they come, blame my dad. My political views make Clinton seem conservative. As of now Obama has my vote. He has a Clinton-esque way. I am embarrassed that our current president stumbles through interviews and cannot think on his feet. In today's society who would want to run? You get raked over the coals, you and your family get attacked, and you never again have a moment of peace.

As for the dems screwing up ... it depends on what you mean ... the republicans screw over the economy and the dems fix it then get berrated for raising taxes. The repubs spend like crazy and get us into a deficit.

You don't even want to bring up social issues ...

Karen Duggan
May 2nd, 2007, 02:00 PM
I'm not coming back in here- waaaaaay too sticky!

Love you all the same,
A Middle of the Roader (who thinks politics are about the most disgusting topic on the planet- next to people going hungry) Anybody wanna swim?!
:smooch: :drink: :groovy:

some_girl
May 2nd, 2007, 02:03 PM
Hm, FlyQueen. I notice the people who love the best stroke also have the best politics. Funny that. Maybe you should have to do an acceptable 100 fly to vote at all.

knelson
May 2nd, 2007, 02:07 PM
As for the dems screwing up ... it depends on what you mean ... the republicans screw over the economy and the dems fix it then get berrated for raising taxes. The repubs spend like crazy and get us into a deficit.

That part was a joke--sort of anyway. I can't see myself ever voting Republican, but then again I don't expect the Democrats to set the world afire if they win the Oval Office, either.

poolraat
May 2nd, 2007, 02:16 PM
This says it all:

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. Ronald Reagan (http://www.quotationspage.com/quotes/Ronald_Reagan/)

SwimStud
May 2nd, 2007, 02:31 PM
I'm just trolling and waiting for Geek to show up here...

Slowswim
May 2nd, 2007, 02:43 PM
I would say I'm a Libertarian...less government more personal responsibility, but I don't think a third Party will ever be anything more than a spoiler Party in this country.

Now lets all Party!!!:groovy:
</IMG>

knelson
May 2nd, 2007, 02:55 PM
I would say I'm a Libertarian...less government more personal responsibility

I always thought it would be tough to run as a Libertarian: "if I'm elected, I promise to do as little as possible!" :)

Slowswim
May 2nd, 2007, 03:11 PM
I always thought it would be tough to run as a Libertarian: "if I'm elected, I promise to do as little as possible!" :)

and with help form both sides that is exactly what would happen!:shakeshead:

When the government was shut down by Clinton in 1995, did any one notice or care?
</IMG></IMG>

tjburk
May 2nd, 2007, 03:15 PM
Bill.....don't you remember....that was the Reps fault!!!! LOL

I find it interesting to see that at the end of most of the Dems terms in the 70's 80's and 90's the economy was "s%&t" or heading that way. But at the end of most of the Reps terms the economy was pretty decent. But it's the Reps that get blamed for bad economies! How is that?

Slowswim
May 2nd, 2007, 03:26 PM
The recession that Bush inherited started in 1998 (any one read the Cooking the Books stories from the Clinton days where he mis represented the US economy by 30%?...didn't get much press).

The tax cuts have been great for the economy...I remember the Misery indicator they created for Carter.

I am actually afraid the unemployment rate will lead to a stagnant economy. At least that's what I was taught in college. 5 percent was supposed to be optimal.

I'm sure anyone with stocks would vote him in for a third term.

But Bush is a Democrat by his policies. That's why the conservative hate him! He is a spending madman!!

The liberals hate him for being a Republican. Little wonder he has a job approval of 27%.

knelson
May 2nd, 2007, 03:31 PM
I'm sure anyone with stocks would vote him in for a third term.

Yeah, because no one with stocks cares about minor things such as the Iraq war.

SwimStud
May 2nd, 2007, 03:33 PM
this thread is going to get closed due to political content...get your big punches in while you can...

LMAO

tjburk
May 2nd, 2007, 03:34 PM
Bill, I would have to agree with you on that......

He and the rest of the crooks up there in D.C. Reps and Dems alike adding all kinds of garbage to each bill, then threatening not to vote for it unless they get there way....reminds me of some kids I knew in elementary school.

tjburk
May 2nd, 2007, 03:35 PM
this thread is going to get closed due to political content...get your big punches in while you can...

LMAO

As long as we keep it civil and don't get into name calling it won't.

poolraat
May 2nd, 2007, 04:17 PM

That would probably be the best thing that has happened to this country in years. LOL

Slowswim
May 2nd, 2007, 04:41 PM
I can never remember, taxes are for your government "in action" or "inaction".:rofl:

The Fortress
May 2nd, 2007, 05:00 PM
Yeah, because no one with stocks cares about minor things such as the Iraq war.

This is truly a dangerous thread. I'm a lefty loud flyer like FlyQueen and some girl. I like the idea of requiring a decent 100 fly to vote, some girl. Also, I have stocks, but I wouldn't vote for you know who for a third term. :thhbbb:

Peter Cruise
May 2nd, 2007, 06:04 PM
A valiant attempt to avoid the hammer: so which party would be best for amateur sport and why?

The Fortress
May 2nd, 2007, 06:14 PM
A valiant attempt to avoid the hammer: so which party would be best for amateur sport and why?

What a silly question. I just said flyqueen, some girl and I were lefty loud flyers. Elect us and breaststroke is gone. A definite improvement! :lolup:

poolraat
May 2nd, 2007, 06:18 PM
What a silly question. I just said flyqueen, some girl and I were lefty loud flyers. Elect us and breaststroke is gone. A definite improvement! :lolup:

NOW JUST WAIT A MINUTE HERE! According to Donna I am a breaststroke swimmer :rofl: :rofl: not a backstroker.

some_girl
May 2nd, 2007, 06:57 PM
NOW JUST WAIT A MINUTE HERE! According to Donna I am a breaststroke swimmer :rofl: :rofl: not a backstroker.

First against the wall, second against the wall: whatever. When the revolution comes, we will all be Flyers. The first five year plan involves monofins. Just you wait.

SwimStud
May 2nd, 2007, 10:33 PM
First against the wall, second against the wall: whatever. When the revolution comes, we will all be Flyers. The first five year plan involves monofins. Just you wait.

The way you've been goading me this week you'll be the first one getting the monofin treatment when I'm elected. :thhbbb: ;)

newmastersswimmer
May 3rd, 2007, 12:08 AM

I don't know...the party that has lots of good beer and hot chicks there?....(So defintiely NOT the GOP then eh? LOL!!) :rofl:

Bork

poolraat
May 3rd, 2007, 10:34 AM
I don't know...the party that has lots of good beer and hot chicks there?....(So defintiely NOT the GOP then eh? LOL!!) :rofl:

Bork

Hey Bork, After enough good beer all chicks are hot, right? :thhbbb:

islandsox
May 3rd, 2007, 11:10 AM

But this is because I am wishy-washy, like John Kerry, wasn't he on the Adams Family?

newmastersswimmer
May 3rd, 2007, 11:14 AM
Hey Bork, After enough good beer all chicks are hot, right? :thhbbb:

Kinda like that cat in your avatar....I bet he's not too picky about the pluthera of lady cats on the block if you catch my drift LOL!

Bork