PDA

View Full Version : Pets past and present

SwimStud
May 3rd, 2007, 02:51 PM
Ok this isn't a soppy thing I just wanted to share the pics of my dogs with TJ. Feel free to post your buddies too, and add a bit of info liek do they swim with you etc?

It is amazing how much Beagles dislike water though. Apprently as a breed they are not too keen on it. Boots would jump puddles rather than wet his feet, but Troy would dive in the pond in the park...and right in the gross, gutter run off entry part too...he was a boy's dog. Ben is a bit more neat like Boots (same kennel).

Seagurl51
May 3rd, 2007, 03:18 PM
YAY pets!!! Your dogs are sooo cute Stud!!

I'm put up pictures of my little one (yea, she's my child) when I get back home. But you should sit waiting anxiously!

SwimStud
May 3rd, 2007, 03:22 PM
YAY pets!!! Your dogs are sooo cute Stud!!

I'm put up pictures of my little one (yea, she's my child) when I get back home. But you should sit waiting anxiously!

begging and panting even?

tjburk
May 3rd, 2007, 03:40 PM
SS, I'll put some up when I get home too. One of them I had was a non water dog....only dog I know that could got outside in the morning to pee and not get his feet wet on the grass.

Leonard Jansen
May 3rd, 2007, 03:58 PM
(Most of) the current group of money pits:
http://www.paonline.com/debd/vg1/testersx2.jpg

tjburk
May 3rd, 2007, 04:25 PM
Beautiful Horses Leonard.....my daughter would love them!!!

Pop Tart
May 3rd, 2007, 08:00 PM
Well, Poop! I am new here and am an animal lover. I'll try to get mine on here, too. My sister, Little Tart, loves horses, so when she wakes up from a nap, I'll show her Leonard's.

Beautiful horses, beautiful dogs. Thank you for sharing. God's beautiful creatures come to mind.

swimr4life
May 3rd, 2007, 08:40 PM
(Most of) the current group of money pits:
http://www.paonline.com/debd/vg1/testersx2.jpg

Leonard! They are gorgeous!!!

poolraat
May 3rd, 2007, 08:45 PM
She has been my friend and hiking, camping, and fishing companion for the past 10 years. Unfortunately age has taken its toll and because of cancer and other old age problems she has reached the end of her time with me. (where's the sad smiley?)

Karen Duggan
May 3rd, 2007, 08:56 PM
Today is my dad (81) and brother's (42) birthdays, so I am at Gmas. I'll post mine when I get home or tomorrow.

LEO- beautiful.
Poolraat- I'll share a similar story tomorrow. :(

Anybody have a beaver?!?:D

tjburk
May 3rd, 2007, 10:12 PM
Here is the youngest one....Odie My Daughter calls him Odessa Winifred

SwimStud
May 3rd, 2007, 10:15 PM
very sweet...must be related to mine! LOL

tjburk
May 3rd, 2007, 10:44 PM
This is Reggie.....he's a "been rescued" dog.....somebody really mistreated him. He was really skittish when we got him....still is a little but he's getting better. Sweetest dog I've seen in a long time. He reminds of the one we lost last year, Tucker. I'll find a picture of him.

SwimStud
May 3rd, 2007, 10:46 PM
This is Reggie.....he's a "been rescued" dog.....somebody really mistreated him. He was really skittish when we got him....still is a little but he's getting better. Sweetest dog I've seen in a long time. He reminds of the one we lost last year, Tucker. I'll find a picture of him.

Ben is a little skittish too but they love to play and get you to chase them about...I think my guy has PTSD from the kids LOL...

tjburk
May 3rd, 2007, 10:49 PM
That's how Reggie is.....PTSD....he has kind of attached himself to me.

ensignada
May 3rd, 2007, 10:50 PM
Tasha (named for Natasha Fatale), my neurotic 11 yr old Sheltie.

My first dog.

dorothyrde
May 3rd, 2007, 10:54 PM
This is Rosie with angel wings on because she is an angel.

tjburk
May 3rd, 2007, 10:59 PM
And here is the ruler of the house....Rio....a Jack Russell with an attitude! The kids got him the jacket.

SwimStud
May 3rd, 2007, 11:02 PM
very cute Dorothy

tj I like Jack Russell's. It's about the only "small" dog I'd own.

ensignada
May 3rd, 2007, 11:36 PM
Most Jack Russell's I've met are small only in size. They're great dogs.

Seagurl51
May 4th, 2007, 12:06 AM
That's my baby. She's soo cute. I love her. I'll have to re-size the other pictures of my other 2 to make 'em fit. I'll do that eventually.

StudlySwmr
May 4th, 2007, 01:05 AM
Everyone has beautiful pets. Unfortunately my work schedule is such I don't have time for a dog. I do remember having the most wonderful dogs when I was growing up however. Pets can be such great companions. You are all very lucky people.

Mr. Jansen-- Those are beautiful horses. Do you race them or just breed? Any predictions for the Derby this coming weekend?

Leonard Jansen
May 4th, 2007, 07:02 AM
Thanks for all the kind words on the horses. They are all thorobreds, but are used as dressage horses - no racing. A few words about each...

Very Gourmet (aka "Cupcake") - Female, about 15 hands, very sweet, very smart. Is owned by a teenaged girl named Jessie. Cupcake is smarter than her owner. Her only quirk is that she will die of thirst rather than drink from her left side bucket.
West Point Smarty (aka "Westy") - Westy is the stupidest horse in the world. He is also one of the sweetest. His previous owner raced him for 6 years (!) before retiring him (the owner died without a will and without family and we got "stuck" with Westy). He is the largest, fastest and most powerful horse in the barn and, ironically, is the lowest in the hierarchy. Unlike many horses he loves men - his original owner was a guy who loved him & treated him like royalty. He's my buddy.
Merry Farrington - (aka "Merry") The matriarch of the group. Is wicked smart and good natured. She is a "school mistress" and will actually teach a young rider what to do - she knows her business. Very pretty as well.
Quick Embrace (aka "Ember") - Miserable creature owned by an adult, Heather. Ember hates me and I hate her. She's the one who has broken my finger twice, my toes once and tried to kill me late last year. Is old and just too mean to die. Can't trust her with kids.

Missing from picture:
Rosie - Pony who loves kids and hates adults. She is going to a program that is loaded with kids and will have agreat life there.
Luck Pot (aka "GQ") - Pam's horse. Big, white, handsome, smart, sweet. Does all kinds of circus tricks like play an electronic piano, dunks an object in a low basketball hoop, draws a toy gun froma holster strapped to his leg, etc. He loves to be loved.
Belle - Small horse that we rescued from starvation along with her mother. Very smart and high-spirited. Just went to a kid who loves her and will give her a good life.
Rose - Belle's mother. Also rescued from starvation. Same personality as her daughter, but a bit harder to handle. We gave her to Kim, who loves her to death.

-LBJ

SwimStud
May 4th, 2007, 07:49 AM
That's my baby. She's soo cute. I love her. I'll have to re-size the other pictures of my other 2 to make 'em fit. I'll do that eventually.

Kyra your dog thinks she' is a sexy pin-up pup... lol

knelson
May 4th, 2007, 10:53 AM
My Cat, Seuss.

ALM
May 4th, 2007, 11:43 AM
Sabrina the Incredibly Fat Gerbil
May, 2000 to April, 2003

Sabrina started gaining weight in the summer of 2002. At first I thought that she was overeating so I tried removing the sunflower seeds and peanuts from her food. After I posted these photos, a doctor friend of mine told me that she thought that Sabrina probably had some sort of tumors (possibly ovarian) or maybe polycystic kidneys. While Sabrina continued to grow in size, she was losing body fat. I could feel every vertebra when I ran my fingers down her back. Apparently the tumors were consuming all of the calories that she consumed. She got up to a weight of six ounces! The tumors were so big that they prevented her from laying on her side. She couldn't sit up on her hind legs any more, either. Sabrina died peacefully on April 10, 2003.

jpheather
May 4th, 2007, 12:03 PM
Left to right Snowflake, Frieda (no longer with us), Chappy and Booker.

imspoiled
May 4th, 2007, 03:04 PM
All I can say is Aaaawwww! Too cute.

I just learned on Monday that one of my rescued greyhounds has bone cancer, and I've been so down. Seeing everyone's four-legged buddies is fun. I'll post pictures of my goofballs when I get home.

Dana

tjburk
May 4th, 2007, 03:12 PM
Dana, I honestly believe that the best medicine for getting over a pet that dies is to get another one within a couple of days to weeks.

Works for me!

imspoiled
May 4th, 2007, 03:24 PM
Thanks TJ. He's not dead yet though.

We see the pet oncologist on Monday, but everything I've read says he'll lose his leg (not spread to the lungs based on x-rays). It's just so hard to see him in pain. He's 12, so no spring chicken, but to watch him run around our yard is like watching pure joy, especially this time of year with the new grass and bunnies to chase. He's very frustrated right now b/c it hurts too much to run after them.

knelson
May 4th, 2007, 03:25 PM
I'll post pictures of my goofballs when I get home.

I love your avatar photo! My neighbors across the street have two greyhounds. Great dogs!

tjburk
May 4th, 2007, 03:29 PM
I'll put a picture of Tucker up tonight when I get home. He died almost two years ago from cancer....first vet misdiagnosed it...by the time they caught it, it was too late. I didn't want to get another dog....but the wife talked me in to taking in Reggie....who had been mistreated.....he is an amazingly sweet dog......Just what the doctor ordered.

Muppet
May 4th, 2007, 03:31 PM
woof - sebastian is in my avatar. he'll be 8 in June.
:bouncing: :bouncing: :bouncing: (yay new smiley!!!)

swimmieAvsFan
May 4th, 2007, 03:38 PM
it's not the best picture, but this is my monster, er, cat.
his name is darby.
he's a cream colored tabby cat, and i think he might be bipolar!
:shakeshead:

he was 3 in april (on april fool's day, no less) and he still thinks he's a kitten. and that he has front claws (thankfully he doesn't!!! the back claws do enough damage as it is!)

Seagurl51
May 4th, 2007, 04:19 PM
Ok, here's some more pics!!

The Black lab is Moose (he's 3) and VERY hyper.

The Golden Retriever is Bananas who passed away about 3 years ago at the ripe age of 14 from cancer in her blood cells. She was soo good.

The Pyranese (the white one) is Sadie. She's 8 and deaf and incredibly smart.

The little one is my baby (the one I already posted and the one in the mass of blankets). Nutmeg (she's a cocker/springer mix) and she'll be 9 in about 2 weeks.

Leonard Jansen
May 4th, 2007, 04:42 PM
I just learned on Monday that one of my rescued greyhounds has bone cancer, and I've been so down.

Sorry to hear this. Our rescued greyhound had the same thing and it had spread to her lungs by the time we caught it. My sister-in-law is a veterinarian and she says that bone cance is common in 'hounds that have raced. They think that it is due to microscopic bone fractures that somehow trigger cancer growth, although they don't know the mechanism.

They are the BEST dogs - I'm a cat person and swore I'd never have a dog, but when we got Caoilfionn, she stole my heart. I haven't been able to face getting another one though.

Best,
LBJ

SwimStud
May 4th, 2007, 06:00 PM
All I can say is Aaaawwww! Too cute.

I just learned on Monday that one of my rescued greyhounds has bone cancer, and I've been so down. Seeing everyone's four-legged buddies is fun. I'll post pictures of my goofballs when I get home.

Dana

Dana My neighbour has a 3 legged Greyhound. She manages wonderfully.
Unlike most of us, Dogs don't waste time of self pity or get hung up on how they look with a limb missing. I think they're better off that way.

imspoiled
May 4th, 2007, 10:11 PM
Thanks Stud & LBJ. It will probably be harder on the family than it will on Luxor. The kids are really freaked out. Needless to say, he's getting bombarded by attention right now.

I'm trying to post pics, but keep getting a file size error. Will keep trying.

poolraat
May 5th, 2007, 12:08 AM
Here's a pic of my owner, Cloud.

FindingMyInnerFish
May 5th, 2007, 07:13 AM
Great bunch of pix! IMSpoiled, i'm sorry to hear about your "baby." In case this is of any help...My sister had a dog with bone cancer. He lived for a few years after his diagnosis, though, after having a leg amputation (and he got on fine without the fourth leg--stayed his cheerful self). When the cancer returned, though, she had to have him put down. But he held on for longer than expected.

I should be getting ready to leave for swim practice so I can't post a pic now, but yellow female "tabby with 'tude," six years old, who always makes sure I'm up for work/swim practice/running... and to feed her. :) Her official name is Woolf, after Virginia Woolf, but usually she's called all kinds of endearment type names, mostly "Baby."

Yardbird
May 5th, 2007, 11:00 AM