PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a 50 meter pool in the midwest.

Lederman
May 3rd, 2007, 09:21 PM
Is there a list of 50 meter indoor or outdoor pools nationwide. I am looking for one someehere in th emiddle of the US. It would be really great if lane lines were used too. Thanks, Josh

tjburk
May 3rd, 2007, 10:33 PM
http://www.swimmersguide.com/query/Main1.cfm

Should be able to find one here......

ALM
May 3rd, 2007, 10:44 PM
Josh,

I can give you information for 50-meter pools in Kansas (Topeka, Lawrence, Kansas City metropolitan area) and Missouri (Kansas City metropolitan area, Columbia, and St. Louis).

It would help if you could give me a little more information about why you are looking for a pool (to swim in, to purchase, etc.). You can contact me by e-mail through the Member Directory in these forums.

Anna Lea

dorothyrde
May 3rd, 2007, 10:58 PM
Narrowing down what part of the Midwest would help as well, it is quite large.

smontanaro
May 4th, 2007, 09:52 AM
http://www.swimmersguide.com/query/Main1.cfm

Should be able to find one here......

That's going to miss a lot of possibilities (again, depending a lot on
criteria which were not mentioned in the original post). To be listed
they require that the pool be open eight months a year. I'm not aware
of any outdoor pools in the Chicago area which are open that long.
They are all generally open Memorial Day to Labor Day, perhaps with
some early or late weekends. Weather is a prime consideration, but so
too is availability of staff. Most of these pools tend to be staffed
by college students on summer break.

Skip

Lederman
May 4th, 2007, 11:29 AM
I will contact Jayhawk by email.

I don't want to leave the thread hanging so I'll fill in the info I left out of my original post.

I'm in Bettendorf, IA. We have a stable group of 5 swimmers who swim together 4 to 5 days a week. Primarily morning swims at about 3500 yards. We swim in a standard 25 yard pool.

I wanted to put together a two day overnight trip to a 50 LCM pool for a few workouts just for fun and as a get-a-way for us.

We have access to a personal airplane so distances up to 500 miles would not be a problem.

It sounds like Jayhawk has many options in the Kansas City/Lawrence area. That would be a great trip.

I tried the swimming guide site linked above but it didn't address my needs.

The perfect destination would be an indoor (taking bad weather out of the equation) 50 LCM pool that has lane lines and lots of open lap swim times. Lane lines may be a luxury we can do without if need be.

I have never swam in a long course pool. I'm excited to give it a try.

Thanks, Josh:)

knelson
May 4th, 2007, 11:47 AM
I'd take a look at some of the big university pools in the area. Places like Minnesota, IUPUI in Indy, Purdue, Ohio State and Michigan all have really nice indoor facilities. Whether they have much in terms of public lap swims sessions will be the big question.

smontanaro
May 4th, 2007, 11:50 AM
> The perfect destination would be an indoor (taking bad weather out
> of the equation) 50 LCM pool that has lane lines and lots of open
> lap swim times. Lane lines may be a luxury we can do without if need
> be.

The UIC pool and Chicago Masters team are run by Paul Moniak, the
men's/women's coach there. I did my 5k postal there in 2005. He was
pretty flexible about access. My guess is that if you contacted him
ahead of time you could arrange something.

If you want to try the lake the NASA masters team swims in the lake at
Northwestern once a week during the summer, probably starting in early
July and going until late August. In the past the lake practice has
been on Monday evenings, but I'm lobbying for Saturday mornings this
year to avoid problems with fading sunlight.

Skip

smontanaro
May 4th, 2007, 12:03 PM
I should point out that the reason I didn't mention Northwestern's pool (it is quite nice)
is that it's essentially never set up long course except when the school teams have
practice.

Skip

dorothyrde
May 4th, 2007, 12:17 PM
Recsplex West of St louis is nice. You could probably google and get lap swim times there. UIPUI and Indy is a fun town.

swimminlyn
May 4th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Indy SwimFit is hosting a 50m LC meet on Saturday June 30th at IUPUI in Indianapolis.

http://www.grinswim.org/2007Firecracker.pdf

craiglll@yahoo.com
May 4th, 2007, 05:43 PM
I'd take a look at some of the big university pools in the area. Places like Minnesota, IUPUI in Indy, Purdue, Ohio State and Michigan all have really nice indoor facilities. Whether they have much in terms of public lap swims sessions will be the big question.

You really don't know the area do you?

knelson
May 4th, 2007, 05:44 PM
You really don't know the area do you?

Why do you say that?

craiglll@yahoo.com
May 5th, 2007, 02:44 PM
Why do you say that?

Because some of the pools you mentioned are over 8 hr drives from the Quad Cities.

meldyck
May 5th, 2007, 03:05 PM
Because some of the pools you mentioned are over 8 hr drives from the Quad Cities.

However, the person who asked the question said their group has an airplane available to them, so the driving distance doesn't really enter into the equation as critically.

-- mel

knelson
May 5th, 2007, 03:15 PM
However, the person who asked the question said their group has an airplane available to them, so the driving distance doesn't really enter into the equation as critically.

Exactly:

We have access to a personal airplane so distances up to 500 miles would not be a problem.

Every place I mentioned fits that criterion.

Maybe you should have read the thread, Craig, before writing such a flippant response.