PDA

View Full Version : Sunglasses

Seagurl51
May 5th, 2007, 12:58 PM
I lifeguard outside in the summer and my current fashion sun glasses (Fossil....for those who care ;)) aren't gonna work. Any suggestions for really good glasses? I'd rather not spend more than $100 but I know for a really good pair I might have too.

Thanx!

poolraat
May 5th, 2007, 01:12 PM
I lifeguard outside in the summer and my current fashion sun glasses (Fossil....for those who care ;)) aren't gonna work. Any suggestions for really good glasses? I'd rather not spend more than $100 but I know for a really good pair I might have too.

Thanx!

Ask your FAF sista. She's the sunglasses guru.:thhbbb:

Peter Cruise
May 5th, 2007, 06:14 PM
I buy the cheapest (with UV) that I can buy, 'cause I sit on several pair each year.

ensignada
May 5th, 2007, 06:26 PM
I've never guarded, so don't know if you need something special, Kyra. But when I was sailing regularly (lots of glare), I would (like Peter) buy several pairs of the darkest cheapest pairs I could find as I kept (and still keep) losing them. You don't cry when a 5.99 pair drops into the drink or skids across the concrete and gets a scratch.

For the high-end ones, definitely consult Fort.

geochuck
May 5th, 2007, 06:29 PM
I prefer these.

Seagurl51
May 5th, 2007, 07:16 PM
I prefer these.

Oh I definatley think I want those!!

smontanaro
May 5th, 2007, 08:23 PM
I recently had LASIK surgery, so now I don't need regular glasses. I am trying to wear sunglasses outside as much as possible now (didn't used to hardly at all). I found a pair at LL Bean (oddly enough) that I like fairly well. About $50, though my wife had four $10 credits (or bonuses or something), so they were cheap.

Skip

SwimStud
May 6th, 2007, 02:11 AM

Thanx!

Definitely Ray Bans for me..don't have to be "aviator" or "blues Brothers" styles though...I have a pair I love

stillwater
May 6th, 2007, 02:44 AM
Hobies are my favorites.

Polarized lenses allow you to see rip currents better. Glass lenses don't scratch as easily as plastic. They are heavier, cost more and are much easier to clean. Glass costs more, but worth it to me.

Sunglass management is the key to a long and happy life.

Muppet
May 6th, 2007, 10:38 AM
go with those grandparent-style boxy wrap around sunglases. you won't get any sun in from the sides or below the lenses, and you can wear your regular glasses underneath. they look funky, but they get the job done for $5.

Le nageur
May 6th, 2007, 11:30 AM
meh oui, buy a pair of UV goggles that are used for outdoor swming. then you will be ready to dive in at a moments notice. If you get mirrored ones, you can get a good look at all those hunky guys in speedos without having to pretend you're not estimating!

geochuck
May 6th, 2007, 11:53 AM
Mirrored glasses should be banned for lifeguards - I had lifeguards that had mirrored glasses and told them they cannot wear them. I came upon one who was sleeping on the stand and had his eyes closed while supposedly working.

kristilynn
May 6th, 2007, 02:52 PM
I love my Smith, Sequel sunglasses. The come in polarized or not, so you could decide if you wanted to throw in a few extra bucks for the upgrade. They are designed for smaller/women's faces. I also usually struggle with finding sunglasses that clear my eyelashes. I hate that feeling of them brushing against the lenses, and these don't touch at all. Check them out at www.smithoptics.com

Got Boost
May 6th, 2007, 07:35 PM
I like Oakleys. I know, a little cheese but they have ruber nose and ear pieces that will not slip when you sweat and they stay on well when you swim in them. I wear sun glasses all the time, even when it is cloudy. the Oakleys I have fit tight all around your eye so they do not let light in the side. I have a pair of Maui Jim's that have polarized lenses. They are great but a little more care is requires with those lenses
Got Boost

imspoiled
May 7th, 2007, 12:58 PM
Kyra-

My hubby works for Luxottica Retail (LensCrafters, Pearl, Sunglass Hut, etc), so cheap sunglasses (dollar store) are a big no-no in my house. Between freebies and personal selection, I have many pair and I highly recommend polarized, not mirrored, sport style lenses.

Oakley is great, but can be pricey. One thing they do make though, is frames with changeable lenses. I got mine at LL Bean, although, I've also seen them at bike shops and better sportign goods/running shops. They are a pait of plastic frames with three interchangeable lenses (mine have clear, gold, and red/violet). You can change the lenses to match the conditions of the day, darker for high sun, lighter for over-cast, etc.

Good luck with your search. If you can wait 'til next week, Mr. Spoil-me can give you more advice than you can stand!

Dana