PDA

View Full Version : Masters Fees Survey

bbpolhill
May 16th, 2007, 05:33 PM
Our club recently raised its rates on an annualized basis from $1200 to $1800. :cry: This is a swimming fee only. Workout equipment and other amenities are not available. Proactive coaching has been nonexistent and often we get a workout and a lifeguard. This will likely have a severe impact on our team numbers, if it doesn't end the program.

We have available to us eight 75 minute practices per week. We are planning on approaching the board of directors of the club, so we are trying to get an idea of what other US Masters team participants pay.

Please describe your fees and services as briefly as possible and participate in the poll attached to this thread if I can figure out how to do that.

Thanks.

The Fortress
May 16th, 2007, 05:49 PM
My fees are $60 a month, or $720 per year, which includes a parking pass, a great facility to swim in and a good coach who gives well-thought out workouts. Only 4 practices a week though. Pool closed in August. The bad part: weekend practices are sometimes cancelled for swim meets. Like this weekend ... And I can't make a lot my team practices. So I end up paying to swim elsewhere on top of the team fee. Health club is on top of the team fee too. It's not cheap to swim.

bbpolhill
May 16th, 2007, 05:53 PM
My fees are $60 a month, or $720 per year... It's not cheap to swim.

A far cry from $1800, however.

Peter Cruise
May 16th, 2007, 05:56 PM
Three workouts a week, no June or July.

scyfreestyler
May 16th, 2007, 05:57 PM
You guys are getting hosed.

My fees are 3 bucks per swim and I have the pool (50M x 25Y) available to me 5 days a week. Afternoon practices are always there from 5 to 6:45 and depending upon the season there are AM practices in the wee hours of the morning.

I suppose your fees might give more options but mine works out great since my daughter swims with her age group team at the same pool, at the same time. Same bat time, same bat channel.

The Fortress
May 16th, 2007, 05:58 PM
A far cry from $1800, however.

True. $1800 is outrageous. Especially for no coach on deck. I pay $1800 a year ($149 per month) for my family health club membership though. I also swim at our local rec center for $6.50 a pop. So it really adds up.

Where is Brewster? Are you near New York City? Maybe it's the location. I live outside metro DC, where everything is very expensive. Any other masters teams around as an alternative?

scyfreestyler
May 16th, 2007, 06:03 PM
True. $1800 is outrageous. Especially for no coach on deck. I pay $1800 for my family health club membership though. I also swim at our local rec center for $6.50 a pop. So it really adds up.

Jumping Jack O Lanterns Batman! That is crazy!

This is the place I used to belong to and it was VERY nice. Recently rebuilt in a very nice city. The family pass was $695.00 for a year.

http://www.monterey.org/sportscenter/fees.html

I'll stop with the batman jokes now.

The Fortress
May 16th, 2007, 06:04 PM
You guys are getting hosed.

My fees are 3 bucks per swim and I have the pool (50M x 25Y) available to me 5 days a week. Afternoon practices are always there from 5 to 6:45 and depending upon the season there are AM practices in the wee hours of the morning.

I suppose your fees might give more options but mine works out great since my daughter swims with her age group team at the same pool, at the same time. Same bat time, same bat channel.

Do you have to rub it in?

3 bucks?! I can hardly buy a bottle of water for that ... It's metro DC, Matt. Land of half a milion dollar tear down shacks. My health club fee doesn't even give me access to the tennis courts. Good thing I don't play tennis. I won't even mention what I have to pay for my summer swim league pool ... That's what all the kids do in the summer in addition to or in lieu of USS.

Enjoy it while you can. At some point your daughter may join a different group. I'd have a hard time keeping up with my daughter's group even if I could go at the same time.

bbpolhill
May 16th, 2007, 06:06 PM
Where is Brewster? Are you near New York City? Maybe it's the location. I live outside metro DC, where everything is very expensive. Any other masters teams around as an alternative?

The club is in very expensive Westchester County, but there are much less convenient and less expensive clubs around. I did some research...Long Island has a top notch program for around $800 and 5-8 practices per week. It's not an option because of location, but it is a similar demographic.

We would prefer to negotiate with the facility if the increase is not simply a message to "get out". The team members are like family (as I am sure most are aware) and we will certainly lose touch if we have to scatter to find other options.

David E. Morrill
May 16th, 2007, 06:07 PM
WOW....!! And some of us whimper about $500 +/- per annum...!

scyfreestyler
May 16th, 2007, 06:08 PM
Do you have to rub it in?

3 bucks?! I can hardly buy a bottle of water for that ...

Enjoy it while you can. At some point your daughter may join a different group. I'd have a hard time keeping up with my daughter's group even if I could go at the same time.

Who are you trying to kid here! We've seen you in action! Nothing slow about it.

I think that I am fortunate to be part of a Masters program that is riding on the coat tails of a rather succesful USA Swimming club. I do pay $100.00 per month for my daughter to swim with the age group team so I suppose if I were to add that in, things aren't so rosy anymore.

EyeoreSAM
May 16th, 2007, 06:11 PM
bbpolhill--

I used to live in New Fairfield, which is only about 10 minutes from you and they have a good masters program. Instead of driving to the city check out some CT locations. Where in Brewster do you swim--I spent many age group years competing in NY and CT.

The Fortress
May 16th, 2007, 06:11 PM
Who are you trying to kid here! We've seen you in action! Nothing slow about it.

I think that I am fortunate to be part of a Masters program that is riding on the coat tails of a rather succesful USA Swimming club. I do pay $100.00 per month for my daughter to swim with the age group team so I suppose if I were to add that in, things aren't so rosy anymore.

My daughter can smoke me in everything except the sprints. Oh, and in any breaststroke of course. Even in the 100 IM ...:sad: She swims in the senior group with some older kids, so she's not the fastest in her group. I couldn't keep up. They do real engine building. (Drills too. ;) ) Another $2500 a year. Thank god she quit travel soccer.

You've got a great deal, Matt.

bbpolhill
May 16th, 2007, 06:13 PM
I think that I am fortunate to be part of a Masters program that is riding on the coat tails of a rather succesful USA Swimming club.

There is also a 250 member USA swim team at our facility. They will pay roughly the same amount perhaps a little more per child.

bbpolhill
May 16th, 2007, 06:16 PM
bbpolhill--

I used to live in New Fairfield, which is only about 10 minutes from you and they have a good masters program. Instead of driving to the city check out some CT locations. Where in Brewster do you swim--I spent many age group years competing in NY and CT.

I actually swim in Mount Kisco which is about 1/2 way between work and home (Brewster). I will look into New Fairfield. Do you know where the facility is? Is it a Y?

CreamPuff
May 16th, 2007, 06:19 PM
Fees (depending on which club I swim at) in Atlanta are $69 to $75/ month totaling about $900 for the year. All coached by experienced coaches. Two to three practices offered 5 to 6 times a week. And, if you dare, you can swim with the age group kids on occasion for no additional fee! Be prepared to fee like :dedhorse:

Compared to triathlon training, I'm very happy with how cheap swimming is. Age group swimming runs (depending on the team and your location) around $200 to $250 a month. I can't complain. Tri training, equipment, injuries and meet fees (for me) come to about 8to 10x more expensive than masters swimming. I really don't know of any sport that's cheaper than swimming. Unless I swim by myself without a coach at the public county pool. And that's no fun.

EyeoreSAM
May 16th, 2007, 06:21 PM
The facility is New Fairfield High School. There are also a bunch of Y's in CT, but those are much farther away. I used to swim for the Wilton Y Wahoos, which is a great team with awesome facilities. I just can't believe that you pay that much! I know swimming is more expensive out there than here, but I have to believe that you can find a good team for less.

aquageek
May 16th, 2007, 06:23 PM
$10/mo for 3 X 1.5 hour/week coached practices and 4 lanes. However, this is on top fo the $90+ monthly family membership dues at the Y. We also pay $85/mo for my dauther's team at another pool.

Matt - did you factor in your team suit in your fees? That's fancy!

bbpolhill
May 16th, 2007, 06:28 PM
$10/mo for 3 X 1.5 hour/week coached practices and 4 lanes. However, this is on top fo the $90+ monthly family membership dues at the Y. We also pay $85/mo for my dauther's team at another pool.

If you haven't voted the poll, I figure that puts you in the $501 - 750 range if you allocate a portion of the expenses of the Y's family membership. I am trying to gather as much ammunition as possible for our meeting with the board of directors, so I appreciate the voting and the comments.

swim4me
May 16th, 2007, 06:31 PM
$50/month or $42 if paid online. Great coach morning and evening. Three 1 hour practices/wk at 5:30 am and 4 X 1 hour practices in the evening. There are also 5X 1 hour noon practices at another pool in the district. I can go to any practices, plus the free swims during the week or on weekends there are always lap lanes. Right now pool is set up LCM on Mondays and Fridays and SCY on Wednesdays. I love it :smooch: ! Just wish there were more morning practices :coffee: as I run out of steam in the evenings after work :snore:.

bbpolhill
May 16th, 2007, 06:37 PM
Just wish there were more morning practices :coffee: as I run out of steam in the evenings after work :snore:.

We can relate to that. 4 of the 8 practices availableto us are from 8:30 - 9:45 at night, 3 are at 11:00 AM which most cannot make and the other is on Saturday morning.

scyfreestyler
May 16th, 2007, 06:52 PM

Negative on that. The suit is an added charge. $20.00 I believe. Trans fats are extra as well.

Mswimming
May 16th, 2007, 06:55 PM
I pay $25 per month. But like SCYFreestyler, this is on the coat tails of a very successful USA Swimming team. Combined with my kids fees I pay over $200 per month and rising.

If I weren't a parent of a swimmer it would cost $45 for time specific (evenings) or $65 I think for anytime work outs. For evenings there are 6 work outs per week and for the non time specific there are about 20 or more work outs per week.

Kevin.

smontanaro
May 16th, 2007, 10:59 PM
Our club is $200 every four months. There are three noon practices a week, three evenings a week, plus Saturday mornings. Three coaches split those duties. There is almost always a coach on deck. During the summer one practice a week is in Lake Michigan. I figure most people attend about three practices a week. These fees only give us access to the pool during practice times. The next bump up if you're not affiliated with Northwestern somehow is about $1500/year. That gives you access to the entire facility (pool outside practice times, weights, indoor running track, various treadmills and other indoor torture devices). There is no "just the pool" fee. I finally joined the local LA Fitness ($40/month) to gain more flexible access to a pool.

I thought the fees I pay were high, but $1800/year... YOW! I'd look around for another location. Even if there's not another masters club in your area, maybe there's a YMCA/YWCA with more reasonable rates plus a stroke and turn class or something.

Skip Montanaro

knelson
May 16th, 2007, 11:34 PM
I pay $50/month which gives me 5 coached workouts per week about 1 hour 20 minutes in duration. I usually also swim a day or so at a city run pool. They charge $4.75 for the one hour masters workout. Regular lap swim is $3.75.

I consider that a steal. My wife figure skates and she pays $70/hour for one-on-one coaching! Add ice time on top of that. Also if she goes to a competition she more or less has to take her coach and pay for all her expenses.

bbpolhill
May 16th, 2007, 11:38 PM
Our club is $200 every four months. There are three noon practices a week, three evenings a week, plus Saturday mornings. Three coaches split those duties. There is almost always a coach on deck. During the summer one practice a week is in Lake Michigan. I figure most people attend about three practices a week. These fees only give us access to the pool during practice times. Skip Montanaro

This service level is very similar to ours with the exception of the coaching situation. The price, however, as noted by you is very different $600 vs $1800). Even with the different economies we are way overcharged.

We are still planning negotiation, but are looking into other options. We have already found a location without a team that would welcome us for about $1000 per year which is much more reasonable. The one problem is that it adds 40 minutes each way onto some of our commutes.

Thanks for the info.

tjburk
May 17th, 2007, 08:46 AM
I feel extremely fortunate....I workout here on base for free. I pay the USMS fee each year and that's about it....When I do venture up to Macon where the rest of the team works out it's $25 a month.

Gkami
May 17th, 2007, 12:22 PM
Another free loader here. No additional fees on top of the regular Y membership ($80/m). Of course it's me that puts up the workouts. No on deck coach.

Which I guess leads to a question if people would rather pay more and have an on deck coach, or not pay or pay just a fraction, and you have a person that posts the workouts and everyone plugs forward.

AndyCLS
May 17th, 2007, 01:17 PM
Based on what I'm reading here, I'm getting a bargain. $175/annual, 5 workouts per week. We are coached from the deck once a week, the rest of the time our coach is in the water with us.

2go+h20
May 17th, 2007, 01:30 PM
We have 6 practise times with certified and excellent coaches (2) on deck every practise.
Only downside of having such great coaches is numbers! Our top number was 49 in 6x25meter lanes, usually average 26-30 evenings, 26 thus thurs am in 4 lanes, and 36+ sat am (more triathletes attend sat am)
Mon and Wed pm 8:30-10pm, tues thurs 9 -10am, Sat am 7:30-9am.
No weekends July and Aug so we do open water. Pool closed 4 weeks mid Aug- Sept.
We are $4.25 per session, or you can buy a facility pass for $48.00 per month, ($39.00 over 55) which entitles you to a lot , masters, length swimming, dryland classes; pilates, piloga, boot camp, plus weight room sauna hot tub etc.
That puts us in the $ 400.00 area (most attend 3x a week and no weekends 3 months and pool closed lessens our fee. We don't pay for open water.
Kiwi

chickadee
May 17th, 2007, 04:12 PM
Similiar to Gkami - regular family Y membership about $800.00 a year, but no masters coach :shakeshead: - we were to have one but she spent more time with the age group kids, we were to have two practices a week but it came down to 2 maybe a month sporadic becuase they changed the times so many times. There are only one or two designated master swim times, but most of us just rotate through the lap swim times. I would love a coach, having never swum competitively before- I am sure I am making mucho errors. So I read read read all your postings, and take workouts from mag's and posting.I keep dreaming I will find a coach and pay for some private lessons.
But $1,800 a year Ouch no way cant do it. Too many opther fees to be paid, my daughter's soccer team (UNDEFEATED THIS SEASON :cheerleader: ) runs about $125.00 in fees a season, piano lessions are 9 for $420.00, and private school tutition,:doh: So,there is little extra money for mommy's stuff.

aquaFeisty
May 17th, 2007, 05:01 PM
Our team is based out of a fitness center. Our team fees are $560/year for club non-members and $305/year for club members. We have 20 practices per week, all of which have an on-deck coach present.

However, we take off 2 weeks at the end of May and 2 months from mid-Sept to mid-Nov (basically we take the SCM season off). So if I scale up the prices from a 9.5 month schedule to a 12 month schedule, it's about $710/year for non-members.

The club membership fees were pretty high... $65/month for primary member. But this does give you full use of the club and most classes offered are no extra $$.

aquaFeisty
May 17th, 2007, 05:03 PM
Sounds like you are getting hosed paying out $1800 a year without full-time on deck coaching. For that $$, in addition to the coach, I'd want free team suits and warmups, a team massage therapist, warm towels...

bbpolhill
May 17th, 2007, 05:11 PM
Sounds like you are getting hosed paying out $1800 a year without full-time on deck coaching. For that $$, in addition to the coach, I'd want free team suits and warmups, a team massage therapist, warm towels...

We are only getting hosed if we decide to pay it. The feedback has been resounding and should help in our "negotiation" with the club. This fee is effective in September and is 50% over what we currently pay.

Slowswim
May 17th, 2007, 07:53 PM
I don't even have a club, but used to pay $40 a month for a pool, coach and team before I moved to Atlanta.

I pay her $40/month to e-coach me. Its been working so far. I need to get my wife to video my swimming so she can critique my technique.

My e-coach recently delivered her first baby. I've kept her on as my e-coach since I can't find a coach/Team that I can get to in this Burg.

Blackbeard's Peg
May 17th, 2007, 08:25 PM
Brad, that does seem very excessive. You guys should be looking into where all that money goes. A little oversight may uncover some deeper issues.

My team has 6 workouts a week. We pay by the workout in 15-swim increments, based on membership level. The highest per-workout fee works out to just about $4.05. I end up spending about $700 a year based on my schedule (am using 169 swims/yr as my estimate).

Assuming a $7 drop-in fee, my same schedule would land me at ~$1160/yr.

I'd say that your team charges a flat fee regardless of whether you swim once a week or 5x a week, which is ok if your per-swim cost is low, but at that price (using my #s, thats $10.65/swim), you deserve a volume rate.

Good Luck!:duel:

globuggie
May 18th, 2007, 09:21 AM
Wow, you all sure pay a lot to swim! Since I'm still in college, I'm fortunate enough to have free access to our pool. The hours are really strange, but it's much better than having to pay, and it's a 10 minute walk from my dorm. Now, if only tuition weren't $30k+...

aztimm
May 18th, 2007, 01:57 PM
My dues are $59/month, for access to something like 20+ coached workouts/week. There are normally 2 coaches on deck for every workout. We have facilities on the ASU campus, as well as Scottsdale. There are options for students and annual payment that are reduced.

Every now and then, I'll look into other local programs, but I've been swimming with this group for about 9 years, we use fantastic pools, and the coaching is great.

bbpolhill
May 18th, 2007, 02:29 PM
My dues are $59/month, for access to something like 20+ coached workouts/week. There are normally 2 coaches on deck for every workout. We have facilities on the ASU campus, as well as Scottsdale. There are options for students and annual payment that are reduced.

Every now and then, I'll look into other local programs, but I've been swimming with this group for about 9 years, we use fantastic pools, and the coaching is great.

That's it. :whiteflag: I'm moving to Arizona! :cool:

mermaid
May 20th, 2007, 06:13 PM
Outside Pittsburgh, fees range:

In an exclusive private health & fitness club that has soup to nuts (indoor tennis, spa & cabana, etc.) the workout is posted all day long and changes daily. The fee for a personal coach rannges from $27 - $47 per 30 min. session. The initiation fee and monthly dues are high!! (25 yard pool)

At one YMCA - Masters Swimming is offered M, W & F for 1 hour in the evening. There is no "on deck" coach - someone just writes the workouts for each swim. The program is free with membership ($125 / month for a single adult). Participants pay any and all additional fees for meets, suits, etc. If a member wants to join USMS, they get their own membership as "unattached". Workouts are e-mailed on request. (25 yard pool)

At another YMCA - Masters Swimming is offered M, W & F mornings and T & Th at noon. Practice duration ranges from 1 hour to 90 min. There is an "on-deck" coach for all practices and each workout is different. Workouts are e-mailed by request. A $25 fee for members to join the team and membership to USMS is additional - but there is a recognized team. Any and all fees for meets, suits, etc. is additional. Membership is $60 per month (for a single adult membership) (25 yard pool)

some_girl
May 21st, 2007, 02:47 PM
In NYC, our fees are $95/month for 10 practices per week (1.5-2 hrs.) and awesome coaching spread across four coaches. But I have seen our team finances and we aren't getting hosed: pool time is just expensive and hard to come by. (The three big city teams all swim at the same pools, because it is next to impossible to get another pool to give anyone time.)

Karen Duggan
May 21st, 2007, 02:54 PM
WCM is $175 for the year I think. We have to buy our pool passes from the city and that is $49.50/month (Masters rate only) everybody else is $60.

swimshark
May 21st, 2007, 03:19 PM
Wow, $1800 a year is very high.I hope you all can negotiate a lower amount or get more for that kind of money.

I can give you different perspectives. In Oregon I swam for one of the largest masters team. We paid $40 a month to the team in coching fees. We also paid around $380-400 for out-of-district membership to the Rec Dept. In-district paid around $108 for their membership. That got us 4 practices a day, 5 days a week (1 90 min session and 3 60 min ones). Now they've taken away Fri night and added Sat morning. This is with 2 ASCA coaches and several other highly qualified coaches. One on the deck at a time.

Here in VA (DC metro area) I pay $400 a year to join the facility and nothing for masters practices. We get 2 weekday sessions and a Sat session a week, all hour long. The coach writes a workout on the board and gets in with us. At times he will get out and coach from the deck but he is not a paid coach (but is qualified).

But, I normally swim with a local USS team. I practice with the Senior program and we swim 90 min a day on weekdays and 2 hours on Sat (if not cancelled due to meets). If I paid full price, it would be around $2100 a year. This is in addition to me, as a master swimmer, joining the pool. The kids don't have to join the pool.

Alison

Lucy Crabapple
May 21st, 2007, 04:38 PM
Our situation here is a bit different in that our 'masters' program is actually a swim class offered by the local community college. There are advantages and disadvantages to this - lower costs (thanks to the state subsidies for community colleges) make it an affordable way to swim 5 mornings a week, but because it's seen more as a course and not so much as a masters team, we don't have much of a team mentality. Additionally it's not truly year round, since it runs on the school calendar.

Overall it runs about $400 per year if you sign up for every quarter.

osterber
May 22nd, 2007, 10:24 AM
Wow, you all sure pay a lot to swim! Since I'm still in college, I'm fortunate enough to have free access to our pool. The hours are really strange, but it's much better than having to pay, and it's a 10 minute walk from my dorm. Now, if only tuition weren't $30k+...

Nah... you're paying $30,000 per year for your swim program.

... but you get a free college education thrown in. :-)

-Rick

kernow
May 25th, 2007, 05:28 AM
Ouch!!

That's EXTREMELY high- and with no coach on deck? Interesting, though; I grew up in Brewster (for those who asked, it's about 50 miles north of NYC).

Where is this? It's been a long time since I've been- or swam- there, so it's probably a new place. But, yeah, you're getting ripped, esp. if there's no coach on deck.

BTW, when I did swim, I paid only $45.00/month, which included a weekly clinic, and nine coached workouts. And if you couldn't afford it, the fees could be waived.

bbpolhill
May 25th, 2007, 07:47 AM
Ouch!!

That's EXTREMELY high- and with no coach on deck?

Where is this? It's been a long time since I've been- or swam- there, so it's probably a new place. But, yeah, you're getting ripped, esp. if there's no coach on deck.

Some (roughly 30%) of the time there is no coach on deck. The rest of the time there is an experienced and valuable coach who is (I guess) too tired to proactively coach. If you ask, you will get a response that is very helpful, but for the most part there is just silence, a workout on a white board, and pace clocks. The concern is not about the coach or the facilities, but rather the unfair increase.

I live in Brewster, but work out in Mount Kisco.

We're not officially getting ripped off until we pay the fee increase which is effective in September. As I mentioned, we are trying to negotiate with the club and all of this feedback has been very valuable. It's easy to assume that $1800 annualized is too much to pay, but now we can say unequivocably that this is an atypical charge for a Masters program.

bbpolhill
May 25th, 2007, 07:57 AM
In NYC, our fees are $95/month for 10 practices per week (1.5-2 hrs.) and awesome coaching spread across four coaches. But I have seen our team finances and we aren't getting hosed: pool time is just expensive and hard to come by. (The three big city teams all swim at the same pools, because it is next to impossible to get another pool to give anyone time.)

This is a big help since you are, in effect, in a similar economy as compared to Westchester. It is difficult and unfair to compare the prices of more rural locations in most places in the U.S. to Westchester County. You have a much higher level of service, much more pool time, and still pay 37% less when compared to our suggested increase.

ALM
May 25th, 2007, 10:19 PM
Our program is in the Kansas-side suburbs of Kansas City, MO. It is administered by our county parks & recreation department. They also administer the 500-swimmer age-group team.

Fees: $60.00 for a 15-swim punch card. We all put our cards into a box on the pool deck, and the coach on deck punches them after we get into the water. The cards don't have an expiration date.

Workouts: 3 morning, 3 evening, 1 Saturday, all 90 minutes long

Coaches: On-deck duties shared by four age-group coaches; one of the four is considered our "head coach" and writes all of the workouts.

Anna Lea

frankgarrison
June 1st, 2007, 04:34 PM
Facility Fee (includes full-service health club with 4 locations, combo locker, nursery, etc.): approximately $90/month for family

Coaching Fee is $20/month

We have 6 workouts a week, MWFSa am and T-THpm plus our coaches leave us printed workouts at the pool.

mantagirl
June 1st, 2007, 09:20 PM
I just joined the team near my house. Fees are $20 one time joining fee. $30 per month for 4 EARLY morning 1-hr practices. (yawn--5am M, W, F and 6am on Saturday)

Some flexibility in monthly fee if only swimming on Saturdays, or a few times per month. The pool pass is $50 for 24 visit punch card (which is only good for maters or lap swimmers). But if I had $240 burning a hole in my pocket I could by an annual membership and swim masters and any other time I want.

So far I've only been to 2 practices, so I've only been coached from the water, but he was really paying attention and gave some good pointers.

Treebox
June 5th, 2007, 02:25 PM
I post this with reluctance. The practice that I coach is $ZIPPY, Zero, NADA. (above and beyond the normal dues). The deal I made with management is that they can market it anyway they want but the bottom lie is that 1) I coach from the pool not the deck. Everyone is quite happy with the way I run it. I have 2 workouts 4000 yds and 2400 yds. We do plenty of stroke drills and sets that I do provide individual analysis. 2) If at anytime the regional Y rattles the cage about charging extra for coached workouts, its over and we go back to being just a group of folks who enjoy working out together at 5:30 AM. Its hard for someone to be pissed at the coach for having you do 10 x 200 when I'm in the next lane doing it with them!

As it stands, some of the swimmers decide to join the regional Masters team and compete at meets. The rest are triathletes or not interested in going to meets.

It works for us.