PDA

View Full Version : What are you thinking?!

Seagurl51
May 21st, 2007, 07:24 PM
This might have been done before, but I'm too lazy to search and see if it has so I'm just gonna start it over.

What do you think about while your racing? People have talked about what they think/or don't think about in practice, but what about in the heat of battle. Do you still count tiles when you have people chasing you down? Do you think different things in your favorite races as compared to less exciting ones?

Let's hear those inner thoughts!!

USMSarah
May 21st, 2007, 08:01 PM
During sprints, I pretty much just think about movin as fast as I can... or I think "why am I not going very fast?" Hee hee!

During the longer events, I try and stay as focused as I can because I don't want to forget how many laps I've already completed.

Maybe I am thinking too much...:doh:

Got Boost
May 21st, 2007, 08:22 PM
I'm kind of in a zone. I know how i want the race to feel and where I should be and just git'r'done.
Got Boost

globuggie
May 21st, 2007, 10:27 PM
In a sprint, not much. In a slightly longer race, I may think a little about pacing or breathing or a specific technique point, but I try to keep the thinking pretty minimal. In a distance race where I have a lap counter, I have a song I use to keep myself going at the correct pace.

Seagurl51
May 21st, 2007, 11:11 PM
I feel weird now.

Last time I raced was right around the end of the World championships and I had an Australian announcer voice explaining how I was beating Libby Lenton going through my head. I almost always end up with an announcer of some sort telling me how well I'm doing or what I should be focusing on.

SwimStud
May 21st, 2007, 11:39 PM
I feel weird now.

Last time I raced was right around the end of the World championships and I had an Australian announcer voice explaining how I was beating Libby Lenton going through my head. I almost always end up with an announcer of some sort telling me how well I'm doing or what I should be focusing on.

Seek Immediate Help:laugh2:

I think about trying to kick harder and pull faster...

The Fortress
May 21st, 2007, 11:50 PM
This might have been done before, but I'm too lazy to search and see if it has so I'm just gonna start it over.

What do you think about while your racing? People have talked about what they think/or don't think about in practice, but what about in the heat of battle. Do you still count tiles when you have people chasing you down? Do you think different things in your favorite races as compared to less exciting ones?

Let's hear those inner thoughts!!

In a 50 all out sprint, I attempt to think about nothing but aggression and kicking. But, I must confess, since you insisted, that I often think about the turn: Am I gonna blow it or nail it?, will I hit the wall right and will I actually see it?, should I glide in or take another stroke?, how many SDKs should I take? (I'm aware this should be pre-determined, but I'm not at that level yet), etc. Also, prior to a race, when I see people that are really tall, to compensate, I imagine that they are hideously out of shape and observe that they don't have my muscles. I'm sure this is false, but it somehow comforts me.

On a 100, I think, "don't die, don't die, don't die, don't die. Just live and swim and breathe ...Because living is good, dying not so good." (Think the Jerry Seinfeld routine about scuba diving.) Plus, when I start to lose sensation in my arms and legs, I remind myself that it will all be over in another 25. I don't do any distance stuff, so I don't have to worry about that. In practice, assuming I'm at a team practice (big if these days), I think, "kick, don't barf, don't die, don't whine." Don't want to be a wuss. But I am.

FindingMyInnerFish
May 22nd, 2007, 07:50 AM
"Don't die"--I like that. Actually, it's kinda close to what I think in pool swims b/c there I do mainly 50 or 100, not wanting to get left too far behind. So I think "keep going, keep going, push, push!" [gasp, gasp!] ;)

In open water, I think "why did the others all veer off to the [left/right... depending on my position at the time]?" ;) But I also think about how cool it is to be outdoors, feel the naturalness of the water movement pushing and lifting and rocking me. [oh, and making me queasy sometimes, but hey it's part of the game...] I hope I won't have to think about any large size :fish2:

SwimStud
May 22nd, 2007, 08:26 AM
I think Kyra should adapt Liesel Jones' mantra:

"This is my office. I know what to do."

to something like:

"This is my shoe store. I know which 6 pairs to buy."

:rofl:

newmastersswimmer
May 22nd, 2007, 08:44 AM
Right as I am getting ready to take the blocks in a 200 fly I am always thinking to myself .."why?......why did I sign up for this event again??".....and of course as I am swimming the race I am thinking things like breath....relax....on the first 100....then on the last 50....well its then becomes something like "OMG this hurts worse than last time.....Am I going to make it?....I have to finish now.....What if I drown and don't make it now?!!....etc.....So something like that more or less LOL!

Bork

Ivor
May 22nd, 2007, 09:42 AM
Are they real?

SwimStud
May 22nd, 2007, 10:07 AM
Are they real?

Mine are!

LOL

Ivor
May 22nd, 2007, 10:35 AM
Mine are!

LOL

So are the ones over there.

It is often difficult to tell with some of the flowers they have in offices nowadays though isn't it?

Slowswim
May 22nd, 2007, 11:28 AM
I a Tri its:

Swimming-stay relaxed (don't drown)...sight...did I just feel a draft...get in it...now pass...repeat

Biking: OPs check...everything feels good...stay smooth...peddle stroke...hydrate...get ready to run

Running: get comfortable...get relaxed...now get gone!

Kari
May 22nd, 2007, 12:48 PM
Depends on the race:

50 free - nothing

100 free - again, not much

200 free - especially on the 3rd 50....jezuscrimineywhatwasithinking?????

500/400 free - more my speed. that's right b*tch, you're going DOWN!

1000/800 free - aaaaahhhhhhh......this feels GOOOOOODDDDDD.....now if I can just catch the next lane....muuuuaaaahhhhhaaaahhhh

1650/1500 - 1st 1/3 of the race - this feels great!! 2nd 3rd - dammmnnnnn.....this hurts - last 1/3 - if I can just get to the wall it will all be over. This must be what childbirth feels like....

swim4me
May 22nd, 2007, 06:30 PM
I think about how my stroke feels and what I can do to correct it. Where is my closest competetor, how much further to go, am I in the rhythm? Thinking about all this really fast.

poolraat
May 22nd, 2007, 08:30 PM
I don't remember thinking anything as I swam my 50's last week-end at nationals, but as I stepped onto the blocks for the fly and free my last thoughts were on my planned breathing pattern. For the back it was how many SDK's I planned to take off of the start and turn and to get a fast arm turnover without spinning.

newmastersswimmer
May 23rd, 2007, 05:04 PM
So are the ones over there.

It is often difficult to tell with some of the flowers they have in offices nowadays though isn't it?

I've never heard them referred to as flowers before though Ivor? But then again you guys are British......Girls are sometimes referred to as Birds by you guys....so who knows? We are talking about the same thing though right?? (and what do offices have to do with it exactly?? LOL!!) :D

Bork

imspoiled
May 24th, 2007, 01:58 PM
Depends on the race:

50 free - nothing

100 free - again, not much

200 free - especially on the 3rd 50....jezuscrimineywhatwasithinking?????

500/400 free - more my speed. that's right b*tch, you're going DOWN!

1000/800 free - aaaaahhhhhhh......this feels GOOOOOODDDDDD.....now if I can just catch the next lane....muuuuaaaahhhhhaaaahhhh

1650/1500 - 1st 1/3 of the race - this feels great!! 2nd 3rd - dammmnnnnn.....this hurts - last 1/3 - if I can just get to the wall it will all be over. This must be what childbirth feels like....

50 free (or any 50)--see above
100 free--see above
200 free--see above
400/500--just keep swimming, just keep swimming, swimming, swimming
800/1000/1500/1650--wish I could do this more often... maybe it wouldn't hurt so much

FlyQueen
May 24th, 2007, 03:51 PM
50s fly & free - don't breathe kick like crazy
100 free - breathe every 3, kick like crazy
100 fly - relax the first 50

My last 100 IM, huh that beyotch is trying to beat, what a wench!

SwimStud
May 24th, 2007, 04:07 PM
100 IM
Leg 1...wow they're up and thrashing already while I'm SDK'ing down here.
Leg 2...UGH...
Leg 3 Finally, ok let's catch up..
Leg 4 Hahah he didn't expect to see me again so soon...

islandsox
May 24th, 2007, 07:26 PM
Being a serious competitor from the past, I think this: Trust my training and for goodness sake, swim my OWN race not against the person next to me if they are taking it out too fast. Settle in and swim it accordingly. I count nothing, I let my body do what it is capable of doing and if there is a much faster person next to me and I realize it, I let them go. If I am swimming according to my mental pre-image imbedded in my brain, I will miss no turns for the stroke count always works out.

But on the few occasions whereby I took it out too fast and realized my thighs were dying big time, I relaxed and let my upper body take over. Yes, I have re-grouped mid-swim-race and benefitted.:fish2:

FlyQueen
May 25th, 2007, 10:49 AM
I agree with Donna. I actually almost NEVER race the person next to me. In 50s it's too short to really see where they are and I shouldn't be breathing. In 100s if I know them and know their speed/pace I might try to hang with them and let them push me. Anything over that I just race my own race. With 50 or less to go in a 200 (I don't swim farther than that and even 200 is far) I will try to race last the 50 but I use it more as an incentive for myself - to push harder than anything else.

MichiganHusker
May 30th, 2007, 02:16 PM
My very first Masters race was the most amusing race as far as inner thoughts go - it was a 200 Free and it started out on the blocks with the mantra "head down, don't lose goggles....ok if goggles come off go with the flow....relax.....breathe....omigosh why am I here, I am so out of shape, this is a joke."

Once I hit the water it was a primal scream "GGGGGGGGOOOOOOOOO!" I started out in a complete all out sprint and somehow couldn't rein in my adrenaline so I kept the sprint pace up whilst slowly dying on each subsequent lap.

The yelling in my head didn't stop until...."thank goodness, I'm finally at lap 7 or.... is it lap 5? I DON'T REMEMBER!!!! Calm down SusieQ, just do an open turn and if there is a timer leaning over then I'll know I'm done....Great Idea - Oh I am so smart......WAIT! What if I don't see the timer and I think it is lap 6, but it really is lap 8! OK, this it will be fine, you'll just look like an idiot, here we go....."

aquaFeisty
May 30th, 2007, 02:33 PM
My very first Masters race was the most amusing race as far as inner thoughts go - it was a 200 Free and it started out on the blocks with the mantra "head down, don't lose goggles....ok if goggles come off go with the flow....relax.....breathe....omigosh why am I here, I am so out of shape, this is a joke."

Once I hit the water it was a primal scream "GGGGGGGGOOOOOOOOO!" I started out in a complete all out sprint and somehow couldn't rein in my adrenaline so I kept the sprint pace up whilst slowly dying on each subsequent lap.

The yelling in my head didn't stop until...."thank goodness, I'm finally at lap 7 or.... is it lap 5? I DON'T REMEMBER!!!! Calm down SusieQ, just do an open turn and if there is a timer leaning over then I'll know I'm done....Great Idea - Oh I am so smart......WAIT! What if I don't see the timer and I think it is lap 6, but it really is lap 8! OK, this it will be fine, you'll just look like an idiot, here we go....."

oh, this made me chuckle! :)

aquaFeisty
May 30th, 2007, 02:36 PM
I will race people on the last lap of a 100 or 200. Since I'm usually dying at this point, considering small animal sacrifices that I should have made prior to the event, telling my legs and arms "We're almost there", racing helps me hang on till the finish.

I don't usually race people on the first half of races. I usually take them out too stupidly fast for the other people in my heat (see above comment)...

FlyQueen
May 31st, 2007, 12:27 PM
I race at the end, too. Just the last 25 (maybe 50) of a race. I tried to race my entire 100 fly at state ... it didn't go so well. I won my heat though ...

During my very brief stint as a 400IMmer (or whilst I was impersonating one) I said through all 3 of them that I ever did okay, easy fly, easy fly, don't over do it, easy fly ... then okay catch your breathe - relax, by the breaststroke leg it was I am never doing this again, never, I hate this race, this is misery ... screw this. Is that really only a 25? Dear GOD! Why? WHY am I doing this? By free I was thinking wow a 100 is a long way.

At the end of the fabulous sprints I do I think head down, race, go, no guts no glory!

MichiganHusker
May 31st, 2007, 03:39 PM
Flyqueen, I'm impressed it would take you until breast stroke to start wondering why you're swimming it and just how long the 400 IM is. I'd be thinking that on my 2nd lap of fly! (But then again, you ARE Flyqueen) :notworthy:

I am going to try the 400 IM one of these days, just not today!

some_girl
May 31st, 2007, 03:40 PM
You can race in fly? I can't see anyone except on the turns!