PDA

View Full Version : Master swim program

CRAZYLEE
May 22nd, 2007, 08:43 AM
I'm a new American Red Cross WSI. I'm going to be moving to a new area and I noticed the pool has a swim team and swim lesson but no master swim program. How would I go about offering my services as a coach and get paid? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I teach swim lessons, coach the swim team once a week and sometimes fill in as a master swim coach at my local pool.

Rob Copeland
May 22nd, 2007, 09:32 AM
There is a publication on the USMS web site Building a Successful Masters Swim Club http://www.usms.org/admin/building.pdf and while it is a bit dated, its a start. Also, Julie Heather our VP of Local Operations is leading a club development task force. I suggest you contact her for ideas and suggestions. She can be reached via mail at VPLocalOperations AT usms DOT org

I wish you the best of luck in getting a new program started.

CRAZYLEE
May 22nd, 2007, 10:56 PM
Thank-you for the source of information! As you can see, I'm a bit new to this but I intend on doing this the right/best way possible. I'm very motivated. A few questions:

Which coaching association is best reccomended?

How do I get USA Swimming certified? I worked with a coach who took a long test for USA Swimming, but before I could get more guidence from him, he was hit by a car while riding his bike here in Japan. He broke his collar bone and has been out of work since.

Has anyone here started a Master Swim program on a military base with military and spouse participants? That is what I will be dealing with, so the insurance and tax part confuses me.

The Master Swim program here does not compete in events. Just for fitness and training purposes.

Thanks for your help!

Rob Copeland
May 23rd, 2007, 09:35 AM
Masters coaches do not need to belong to any coaching associations, just USMS. However, American Swim Coaches Association (ASCA) is a very good organization and has lots of materials available to member coaches.

Since you want to start a Masters program on a US military base, instead of contacting Julie Heather, Id suggest you get in touch with Mel Goldstein. A while ago we talked to the US Army about starting Masters clubs at base pools. Mel was involved in those discussions and has a vast amount of experience in club development.

You can contact him at www.usms.org/admin/email.php?To=Mel+Goldstein&a=PastPresMGoldstein