PDA

View Full Version : Next Nationals on YouTube, Please

Steve Ruiter
May 22nd, 2007, 06:49 PM
I'd love to challenge someone to set up a video feed of upcoming nationals meets. I'd pay money to be able to see my races on video, and my friends and family would appreciate it as well. Real time would be great, but not necessary. Decent camera work would be a plus. I'd pay extra to focus on me and not the guy pulling away from me in the next lane...

You could start small, and just take pre-orders for specific lanes and/or full heats with a few cameras.

Someone might be able to make money doing this? Whaddaya think?

Blackbeard's Peg
May 22nd, 2007, 09:02 PM
Steve, if you're serious about improvement, a video camera would be a great investment for you. I am on my second camera now, and we tape a lot of races, but we've gotten every nationals on tape. Aside from some battery issues forcing us to miss two swims, we got everything from my team on tape, and when I get some free time, everyone will get a copy on dvd.

osterber
May 23rd, 2007, 10:17 AM
There is a group trying to make money doing this. We had them at the Speedo Champions Series at Harvard in March 2006. They brought two remote-control cameras that were mounted on very tall poles on either side of the pool. So they had two people sitting elsewhere with a joystick and monitor to tape races. They took pre-orders by heat and lane, and could then burn you a DVD I believe.

Not sure how popular it was at the meet. I'm going to see if I can find the name of the company.

-Rick

mattson
May 23rd, 2007, 11:20 PM
This was also done for the Long Course Nationals in Cleveland. I remember they had a monitor on the upper balcony with a few minute tape delay, so you could see your swim after the fact. (I don't remember who did it.)

osterber
May 24th, 2007, 09:41 AM
We've also done the tape-delay at Harvard masters meets "on our own". We plugged a video camera into a Tivo system, and had the competition pool running about a 5-10 minute delay (longer for distance races). We didn't have very many people interested in watching, so we stopped doing it.

We also had a professional photographer at our meet about 3 years ago who took thousands of pictures and put them online (just like in a triathlon, etc.). There were takers... but not enough to make it financially worthwhile for him to return the next year.

-Rick

Steve Ruiter
May 24th, 2007, 07:37 PM
While I mentioned YouTube in the heading for this post, I did not stress it in the post itself. My bad.

Posting the video online is a key part of what I was thinking of. It allows you to let people that are not at the meet see you, and it allows you to watch yourself (over and over, at your leisure).

I was hoping to get someone else to do all the legwork too....

I'm hoping that the progression that has gotten us from nothing online a few years ago to real time text results online as standard practice in 2007 continues to advance towards real-time video online. The whole web 2.0 thing, you know.

Maybe if we dropped mentos into a coke bottle at the next swim meet, it would end up on YouTube.