PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice

Dsmith19
December 17th, 2002, 03:20 PM
I'm challenged with sinkers... seriously... I know your chuckling because you can visualize exactly what I mean.

How do I get someone whose feet sink like rocks to do their stroke correctly without their becoming dependant on a pull buoy? I've tried a little bit of everything including the repeated R-E-L-A-X montra!!!!

Any suggestions would be GREATly appreciated.

tzsegal
December 18th, 2002, 09:52 AM
My feet sink like rocks. The first way I felt balance was with a pull buoy. To get past that I found floating and kicking in a side/back position--TI calls it the sweet spot-- was the key to finding a balanced swim position. At first I did alot of that with fins. First, full size ... and second, training size. I still do kick sets in that position w/ zoomers on a regular basis. Also, I think giving up the kick board for kicking helped me to feel the balance more consistently (by not doing something out of balance). I usually swim my longest dps lengths (meaning fewest strokes) right after that balanced side/back kicking.

I also found that vertical kicking (flutter kick) really helped my kick method so it did more propulsion and less dragging me down.

good luck!

Laura Love
January 27th, 2003, 11:08 PM
Denise,
I have a lot of triathletes on my team and they definitely sink. I work with them on balance drills that I found in an Emmet Hines book called Fitness Swimming. When they find out where their balance point is they do much better. I emphasize pushing the "t" or buoy high in the chest and learning how to roll effectively. Get the book though, the diagrams and descriptions help a LOT.
Good luck
Laura;)