PDA

View Full Version : Swim for Alzheimer's

islandsox
May 26th, 2007, 10:04 PM
I got very good news today after months of working with this organization through other people in the United States. There were two reasons I wanted to swim the 18.6 miles from Roatan to Utila in August of 2008; one, I wanted to attempt something unusual for my age to show that people can still be fit after 60, and two, that as I watch my mother decline from this disease and it affect my sister and her family, I wanted to try to raise monies for research/aid/awareness.

My contact in the states believes they may be ready to start a sponsorship/awareness promotion package for my swim attempt. He has asked me for more details and pictures. It may not go National right away, it may start only on the East Coast first. They will use my swim history to promote it. I can't begin to tell anyone how important this is to me, probably the most important thing I have been involved in. So I will be forwarding as many news articles as I have that relates to my journey to Mexico City and the couple of titles after that time. But the most important article of all is this: Fitness after 50 and after 60. And if I complete that very long grueling swim against current, I will have achieved my lifelong goal that I didn't even know existed until now.

For all of those people who know someone who suffers from this disease, or their family members who suffer even more, my heart just goes out to you.

I am placing this on the NSR thread because it feels better over here.

The swim will be called : Swim 4 Sara ( my mom's name)

Donna

SwimStud
May 26th, 2007, 10:09 PM
We're all rooting for you Donna!!

newmastersswimmer
May 26th, 2007, 11:04 PM
That is totally cool Donna!! I hope you and your organization will be able to raise both a lot of valuable money and a lot of awareness for such a worthy cause! It sounds very exciting! I am very sorry to hear about your mother though! I wish you and your family the very best with this exciting new project.

Bork

Seagurl51
May 27th, 2007, 12:47 AM
Donna that is so amazing!! Really really fantastic. I can't wait to read more about it and hear your updates.

This is a really inspiring story.

FindingMyInnerFish
May 27th, 2007, 07:37 AM
That's great news, Donna! You're being a role model on two levels: your fitness and your commitment to giving something back in the process.

A relative of mine passed away from Alzheimer's about 8 or so years ago. This is something that affects a lot of us.

I wish your venture vast success on both the fitness front and the fundraising front.

You might be interested in the Fifty-Plus Lifelong Fitness (http://www.50plus.org/) organization. A friend of mine who ran her first Boston Marathon at 70 introduced me to this group, and they do a great job advocating long-term fitness in a lot of ways. Maybe they'd be interested in helping you promote your cause/swim. Also, although I don't care much for its title, the magazine Geezer Jock (http://www.geezerjock.com/) is dedicated to the master's/veteran athlete. I think an article there would bring a lot of attention to your cause as well. They have a lot of interesting articles about athletes from a variety of sports, and this would be right up their alley, I think.

aquaFeisty
May 27th, 2007, 08:09 AM
Yay, Donna! How fantastic!

Best of luck to you with your upcoming 15 months of training! Keep us posted!

nancytris
May 27th, 2007, 02:56 PM
That's great news, Donna! You're being a role model on two levels: your fitness and your commitment to giving

Also, although I don't care much for its title, the magazine Geezer Jock (http://www.geezerjock.com/) is dedicated to the master's/veteran athlete. I think an article there would bring a lot of attention to your cause as well. They have a lot of interesting articles about athletes from a variety of sports, and this would be right up their alley, I think.

You go Donna!! I too want to be kept updated by you.

I agree (on both parts -- disliking the name, and doing a article) about Geezer Jock. I get this magazine and it has some interesting things in it and think an article by you would get information out there.

You are definitely a role model.

ensignada
May 29th, 2007, 10:37 AM
You know we'll do whatever we can to support you.

I'm fortunate in that Alzheimer's has not touched my family. A good friend of mine, though, is dealing with the very real possibility that he will be next - almost all the males in his father's family for at least 2 generations have presented symptoms around 50 years of age. He's 43 with a wife and 3 three kids. A cure or better treatment may not happen in his lifetime, but I know he looks at his son and wonders.