PDA

View Full Version : New suit?

Colin O'donnell
May 27th, 2007, 11:39 PM
Thanks to the new Fina rules...apparently you aren't able to use suits with special patterns or any kind of 3d suit scales.

So does that mean the FS-Pro is slower than the FS-II? Seems as if the FS-Pro was rushed considering the spacing between Fastskin-I and II's release.

What about the other branded non-patterned suits such as the Nike hydra or the Arena Powerskin? I would think that would just be like wearing a full body practice jammer, not so light moving through the water.

And the biggest question. which one should last longer?

Allen Stark
May 28th, 2007, 11:39 AM
I have heard about the FINA rule,but I don't know the details.Does this mean FS-I and FS-II are now illegal?

Colin O'donnell
May 29th, 2007, 12:16 PM
In not so many words, yes.^

SwimStud
May 29th, 2007, 12:23 PM
While sympathising with my friends here that have purchased them, and risking their wrath. I (would) totally agree with this.

knelson
May 29th, 2007, 12:42 PM
I don't see anything on FINA's site about a new rule. Does anyone have any kind of reference for this? I'm skeptical they would ban suits that have been on the market for years.

jim clemmons
May 29th, 2007, 02:57 PM
Here's what the current FINA rules are regarding "Swimwear". Rule GR 5

http://www.fina.org/rules/english/general_rules.php

I seem to recall reading something a few months ago regarding "bumps, adornments, anything that interferes with the movement of the water" over the surface of the suit would be outside of the allowable rules - eventually. I don't recall the exact wording obviously, but I thought it more applicable to the dots on the FSII. I thought it wouldn't apply to stitching like that on the FSI. The Nike suit has those raised lines on it that are not stitching so I thought it would apply to them.

aztimm
May 29th, 2007, 03:40 PM
While sympathising with my friends here that have purchased them, and risking their wrath. I (would) totally agree with this.

I totally agree with you. After doing triathlons, where the best/wealthiest competitors spend $15k+ on their equipment, I was happy to get into masters swimming years ago, where I could spend $30 (or less) for a suit and goggles and swim in a meet and have the same advantages/disadvantages as anyone else. I'd be happy to see USMS go back to allowing just regular swimsuits for meets.

SwimStud
May 29th, 2007, 03:44 PM
I totally agree with you. After doing triathlons, where the best/wealthiest competitors spend $15k+ on their equipment, I was happy to get into masters swimming years ago, where I could spend $30 (or less) for a suit and goggles and swim in a meet and have the same advantages/disadvantages as anyone else. I'd be happy to see USMS go back to allowing just regular swimsuits for meets.

Without getting political about it Tim that's part of my reason and the other half is that it's an artificial aid--IMHO.
I'm not saying that the top guys and girls are cheating (before some shows up ans twists this)--the fastest swimmers would still be the fastest swimmers.

Just a purist (that's rich coming from me eh?) view I guess.