PDA

View Full Version : "Animal House" - The Movie

MichiganHusker
May 28th, 2007, 11:27 AM
This weekend, my husband and I rented "Animal House." There is a "Double Secret Probation" version in DVD celebrating the 30 year anniversary of the movie.

I saw the movie in the theatre when it came out 30 years ago, and since then I would guess I've seen it over 100 times, but it has been awhile since I've seen the full, uncut version. Boy, that movie is timeless!

The best part was the special features section where they have one feature - Faber College - Where are they now? They interview Otter, Dean Wormer, Mrs. Dean Wormer, D-Day and the gang and catch you up on what they are doing. The actors are in "character" and it is hilarious.

Then, an even better feature is sort of a documentary about how Animal House came to be written, casted, filmed. Interviews with Harold Ramis, John Landis, Kevin Bacon and more.

I won't spoil anything except to say that Kevin Bacon was only 18 years old when he got the part, he had no agent and he pokes fun at his humble beginnings.

I strongly suggest you check it out (after the kids are in bed of course).

Karen Duggan
May 28th, 2007, 12:25 PM
I will never forget the rainy day my dad took my brother (11) and me (6) to the movies. He hadn't planned ahead really, so we just showed up. "Animal House" sounded like a good kids movie! We went in, watched for awhile, and was my dad FURIOUS! We left so fast- my brother and I still LOAO when we think about it. When we ask my dad he says sheepishly, "Oh yeah, I remember."

:doh:

SwimStud
May 28th, 2007, 02:07 PM
My favourite scene is the devil and the angel; cracks me up.

Karen Duggan
May 28th, 2007, 02:31 PM
SS- That is my favorite scene too! :doh:
Maybe we ARE the same person. OK, it's your turn to carry the baby, this morning sickness (all day is more like it) is for the birds!!!

newmastersswimmer
May 28th, 2007, 05:12 PM
I like the cafeteria scene with John Belushi....what am I? .....I'm a zit get it LOL!....of course there are so many good scenes in that movie!....the big motivational speech at the end about not just sitting back and giving up ...with all the references to pearl harbor and what not ....and then the final parade scene where they take out their revenge were also both classics!

MichiganHusker
May 28th, 2007, 06:05 PM
My favourite scene is the devil and the angel; cracks me up.

Yes - that is my favorite part too! Unfortunately, that's one of the parts that always gets cut out on the network version. I can't figure out why! :joker:

SwimStud
May 28th, 2007, 08:01 PM
Yes - that is my favorite part too! Unfortunately, that's one of the parts that always gets cut out on the network version. I can't figure out why! :joker:

I love the end best of all when she's in the shopping cart and the way she waves at her parents lol

aquaFeisty
May 28th, 2007, 08:13 PM
"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell, no!"

"I gave my love a cherrrrrrrieeeee"

But the best part of the movie is when the dude is measuring the dead horse and then he measures the door opening... and he's pondering... then he starts up the chainsaw... oh man, I'm crying thinking about it!

Seagurl51
May 28th, 2007, 09:22 PM
I love this movie. Pretty much the best ever. It's sad that so many college kids in this day haven't seen it. Most of my friends haven't seen it....too bad. It's comedy!

Ivor
May 29th, 2007, 12:42 PM
I gave my love a cherry, that had no stone . . . .

TOGA! TOGA! TOGA! TOGA!

newmastersswimmer
May 29th, 2007, 12:58 PM
I gave my love a cherry, that had no stone . . . .

TOGA! TOGA! TOGA! TOGA!

I remember that on my recruiting trip to Missouri State (then called Southwest Missouri State).....the swimmers through an awesome toga party for us....That was such a fun trip.... we had several other such parties after I got there too....its hard to remember some of the parties though...too many damaged brain cells I guess! LOL!

Aquaholic
May 29th, 2007, 03:34 PM
Excellent film
An all time classic
Great source of one liners
Terrific sound track

AH

This weekend, my husband and I rented "Animal House." There is a "Double Secret Probation" version in DVD celebrating the 30 year anniversary of the movie.

I saw the movie in the theatre when it came out 30 years ago, and since then I would guess I've seen it over 100 times, but it has been awhile since I've seen the full, uncut version. Boy, that movie is timeless!

The best part was the special features section where they have one feature - Faber College - Where are they now? They interview Otter, Dean Wormer, Mrs. Dean Wormer, D-Day and the gang and catch you up on what they are doing. The actors are in "character" and it is hilarious.

Then, an even better feature is sort of a documentary about how Animal House came to be written, casted, filmed. Interviews with Harold Ramis, John Landis, Kevin Bacon and more.

I won't spoil anything except to say that Kevin Bacon was only 18 years old when he got the part, he had no agent and he pokes fun at his humble beginnings.

I strongly suggest you check it out (after the kids are in bed of course).

Got Boost
May 30th, 2007, 01:24 AM
One of my all time favorites, and talk about some classic movie lines,

Drunk fat and stupid is no way to go through life.
My advice to you is drink heavily.
A parade float that says Eat Me on it.

I do not even waste my time with network showings. Its almost as bad as trying to watch the Sopranos on A&E.
Got Boost

Michael Heather
May 30th, 2007, 01:57 AM
Road Trip!

MichiganHusker
May 30th, 2007, 07:54 AM
Excellent film
An all time classic
Great source of one liners
Terrific sound track

AH

The documentary I mentioned goes into how the sound track came to be. Apparently John Landis had a "vision" that he thought it would be even more comical to put a serious score as the soundtrack so he contacted some guy - a well known composer who's name I can't remember - to do the soundtrack.

Seems everyone in Hollywood though John Landis was nuts. John told the composer to score the film "as if it were a serious film."

The result was a great soundtrack and was the first to use this type of muscial scoring for comedies.

SwimStud
May 31st, 2007, 08:42 AM
does anybody actually know if there are any words to "Louie Louie" or is it just babbling?

LOL

Seagurl51
May 31st, 2007, 10:21 AM
There's words...and I used to know them

Slowswim
May 31st, 2007, 11:10 AM
May we dance wiff your dates?:rofl:

Ivor
May 31st, 2007, 11:33 AM
I remember that on my recruiting trip to Missouri State (then called Southwest Missouri State).....the swimmers through an awesome toga party for us....That was such a fun trip.... we had several other such parties after I got there too....its hard to remember some of the parties though...too many damaged brain cells I guess! LOL!

According to the IMDB (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077975/trivia) toga parties were 'virtually unheard of' before the release of Animal House.

Much like drinking in college I imagine.

imspoiled
May 31st, 2007, 01:15 PM
does anybody actually know if there are any words to "Louie Louie" or is it just babbling?

LOL

For fans of the comic strip "Bloom County", you may remember this-- http://tafkac.org/songs/louie_louie_real_words.html

The first link does not have the illustrations (oh the shame!), but this one does! (it's just harder to read.) http://www.xs4all.nl/~tdg/trivia.html

A.K.
June 2nd, 2007, 02:56 PM
This is the motivational sound bite I use before the 200 Breast

http://germansinpearlharbor.ytmnd.com/

Rick
September 10th, 2007, 12:09 PM
A few years ago I interviewed for a Assoc. VP job at the University of Oregon - where AH was filmed. My office would have been right down the hall from Dean Wormer's.

It was very hard to take the interview seriously!! I did get the job but turned it down - just too much rain in Eugene!

I love that movie!!!!

SwimStud
September 10th, 2007, 12:21 PM
This is the motivational sound bite I use before the 200 Breast

http://germansinpearlharbor.ytmnd.com/

and the extended pause after "When the going gets tough..." I sabout how I feel turning into the back 100 of the 2BR

nyswimmer
September 10th, 2007, 05:57 PM

LOL

There are words. A magazine (I think Men's Health) printed them a few years ago. They're as innocent as they could be -- it's about a sailor whose gilfriend is waiting for him to come home. I only remember the first line though -- "I have a girl, she waits for me, she waits for me across the sea."

The article also said why the words are unintelligble -- the microphone was too far away from the singer.

My favorite line from the movie -- "It's all your fault. You [censored] up. You trusted us."

A.K.
September 10th, 2007, 09:20 PM
and the extended pause after "When the going gets tough..." I sabout how I feel turning into the back 100 of the 2BR

You said it!

I can visualize that back 100 of the 200.... especially now that I'm older.

nyswimmer
September 10th, 2007, 10:17 PM
There are words. A magazine (I think Men's Health) printed them a few years ago. They're as innocent as they could be -- it's about a sailor whose gilfriend is waiting for him to come home. I only remember the first line though -- "I have a girl, she waits for me, she waits for me across the sea."

OK. I Googled the words. I was close. The actual first line is "Fine little girl, she waits for me./Me take a ship across the sea."

Anyway, here's link to the actual, complete lyrics:

http://www.lyricsondemand.com/onehitwonders/louielouielyrics.html

Allen Stark
September 10th, 2007, 10:58 PM
The Kingsmen were from Gresham OR. According to ma newspaper article here the reason the song was unintelligible is the singer was "Drunk out of my mind" at the recording.