PDA

View Full Version : "Sometimes you just gotta say what the f..."

Paul Smith
June 5th, 2007, 09:04 AM
OK....I'm poaching quotes from old movies (Risky Business)....but it does seem to some up the recent weeks...and partly explain the absence from the forum.

Let me try to get the sequence right:

- 3 weeks ago I resigned from my job.....which effectively meant Laura resigned as well since she worked for me.

- 2 weeks ago we put our house in Colorado and committed to live in Arizona full time (basically we committed to move closer to family.

- Without any commitments we considered buying an airstream and packing up the bikes, dogs and swim gear and traveling for 6 months tracking down swimmers from this forum and dropping in on their practices to give top level clinics on poor lane etiquette (Geek...your at the top of the list)

- 13 days ago multiple job offers started to arrive....a couple we're coaching jobs.....not sure yet what the plan is but for now its packing and not training (which was very apparent based on times from a meet last weekend...coming back to altitude from AZ was a bit of a challenge.

- 12 days ago I started sleeping better than I have in years....life is good.

Best of all.....I'm now a teammate of Mr. Commings again which means the abuse can extend beyond this forum!

meldyck
June 5th, 2007, 09:10 AM
Paul,

just remember that there are 4 basic rules to keeping life simple and remaining happy:

1) Eat and drink

2) Sleep

3) Eliminate

4) Train

If you are doing anything else, then you need to re-focus your life! Good to see you again at Lowry and watch your up-tempo training swims.

SwimStud
June 5th, 2007, 09:10 AM
- 13 days ago multiple job offers started to arrive....a couple we're coaching jobs.....not sure yet what the plan is but for now its packing and not training (which was very apparent based on times from a meet last weekend...coming back to altitude from AZ was a bit of a challenge.

Dammit I was going to tell you I'm in the market for a freelance coach, and say how beautiful CT is right now...oh but wait...breaststroke isn't your gig right?

The Fortress
June 5th, 2007, 09:11 AM
Best of all.....I'm now a teammate of Mr. Commings again which means the abuse can extend beyond this forum!

But are you on a real team or a superteam?

Well, I'm glad your mid-life crisis is permitting you to sleep better. I think a break from high stress jobs and around the clock training has to be a good thing. Carry on. Still drinking wine though, right?

Slowswim
June 5th, 2007, 12:48 PM
Congratulations!! That took guts.

I have heard from several of my very successful friends that being fired was the best thing that ever could have happen. I guess saying "What the f..." is just as good.
:cheerleader:
</IMG>

SwimStud
June 5th, 2007, 12:50 PM
Anyone need a finance grad? Class of 2004

FlyQueen
June 5th, 2007, 12:55 PM
Hey if you head to Chicago (or really the 'burbs) let me know. We'll set up a training date and clinic if you are interested.

Congrats! Very exciting. Let's all move to Arizona and train with Paul & Jeff, who's in?

Slowswim
June 5th, 2007, 01:10 PM

Yes, the US Military as a Civilian. Look into the Internship Programs (especially the USAF Palace Acquirer). They will pay for advanced schooling (Comptrollers go to Syracuse), then you intern as a GS-9, GS-11, GS-13 (a year each). Your obligation is 3 years after as a GS-13 or higher.

Good pay, great benefits, and you cannot be deployed as the military does.

SwimStud
June 5th, 2007, 01:15 PM
Yes, the US Military as a Civilian. Look into the Internship Programs (especially the USAF Palace Acquirer). They will pay for advanced schooling (Comptrollers go to Syracuse), then you intern as a GS-9, GS-11, GS-13 (a year each). Your obligation is 3 years after as a GS-13 or higher.

I'm a bit old and worn for deployment unless the proverbial really hits the propeller!

ensignada
June 6th, 2007, 11:51 AM

That's really interesting, Bill. I grew up about 4 miles from the Army Finance Center at Ft. Harrison. I knew a lot of people (civies and not) who worked finance for the Army. Many retired when the base was (mostly) closed down, but it was a good career.

swimshark
June 6th, 2007, 03:45 PM

My husband's office is always looking for financial people but they'd have to live in *gasp* DC area. Maybe swim with Fort or Muppet.

Paul, congrats on everything looking so much rosier.

Alison

SwimStud
June 6th, 2007, 06:05 PM
My husband's office is always looking for financial people but they'd have to live in *gasp* DC area. Maybe swim with Fort or Muppet.

Alison

...anyone know a good (cheap) divorce lawyer, I'll need to come out on top so I can move to DC...

:laugh2:

Slowswim
June 6th, 2007, 09:08 PM
...anyone know a good (cheap) divorce lawyer, I'll need to come out on top so I can move to DC...

:laugh2:

Fort:

You up for the job? You'd be a local and gain a team mate.:laugh2:

The Fortress
June 6th, 2007, 09:41 PM
Fort:

You up for the job? You'd be a local and gain a team mate.:laugh2:

I'm not cheap. In any event, if he wants to come out well in the divorce, it won't be cheap. Besides, he doesn't like the traffic near my pool. :violin:

I'll say it. WTF. I think I need to have a mid-life crisis like Paul. I thought for awhile that masters swimming was my mid-life crisis. But I'm still suffering from lifestyle burnout. I need a month vacation or so at some glamorous beach where people bring me cool drinks and I don't move from my chair.

Peter Cruise
June 7th, 2007, 12:49 AM
Leslie- I suspect that the closest we'll come to your vision is when our respective kids put us in a nursing home and we're served lukewarm coffee while strapped to lounge chairs while Larry King blares on the community TV.

ande
June 12th, 2007, 04:48 PM
Congratulations Paul
Sounds like you made a great decision.

Come visit Austin, we have a decent pool
Plus I have a guest house (not too fancy) and motor home hook up on my property which looks down on the San Marcos river
you can see our family photo on the river at: http://suzanneburnes.com
The guest house looks down on the 2 huge cypress trees we're sitting beside

Have fun abusing Jeff, maybe goodsmith will miss you

ande

OK....I'm poaching quotes from old movies (Risky Business)....but it does seem to some up the recent weeks...and partly explain the absence from the forum.

Let me try to get the sequence right:

- 3 weeks ago I resigned from my job.....which effectively meant Laura resigned as well since she worked for me.

- 2 weeks ago we put our house in Colorado and committed to live in Arizona full time (basically we committed to move closer to family.

- Without any commitments we considered buying an airstream and packing up the bikes, dogs and swim gear and traveling for 6 months tracking down swimmers from this forum and dropping in on their practices to give top level clinics on poor lane etiquette (Geek...your at the top of the list)

- 13 days ago multiple job offers started to arrive....
a couple were coaching jobs.....
not sure yet what the plan is but for now its packing and not training
(which was very apparent based on times from a meet last weekend...coming back to altitude from AZ was a bit of a challenge.

- 12 days ago I started sleeping better than I have in years.... life is good.

ande
June 12th, 2007, 05:16 PM
are we writing from experience?

the other day Eddie told me this joke that one of his swimmers told him

Why is divorce so expensive?

Because it's worth it

I'm not cheap. In any event, if he wants to come out well in the divorce, it won't be cheap. Besides, he doesn't like the traffic near my pool. :violin:

I'll say it. WTF. I think I need to have a mid-life crisis like Paul. I thought for awhile that masters swimming was my mid-life crisis. But I'm still suffering from lifestyle burnout. I need a month vacation or so at some glamorous beach where people bring me cool drinks and I don't move from my chair.

The Fortress
June 12th, 2007, 10:50 PM
Leslie- I suspect that the closest we'll come to your vision is when our respective kids put us in a nursing home and we're served lukewarm coffee while strapped to lounge chairs while Larry King blares on the community TV.

Argh. Don't say that. Lukwarm coffee? Can I ate least watch Star Wars or LOTR re-runs? I've been having dreams of beaches and Paris, as I sit in traffic and drive around to kids' practices. I think Paul should at least report on whether he is enjoying his mid-life crisis ...

Ande:

Litigation is always expensive and best avoided unless you're a rich corporation or well funded organization.

Divorce is hard. But, as Eddie observed, bad marriages are equally difficult. I think being a divorce lawyer would be an awful job. You're dealing with people saying "what the f..." all the time, while being emotional wrecks. Yuck. You have to carefully choose your "what the f ...s." What's your next one?

ande
June 14th, 2007, 02:01 PM
reminds me of the lawyers prayer:
"Lord thank you for providing those who sue my solvent client."
Think I'll stay married
I'm not sure what my next WTF will be
I thought it was to stop pulling on the lanerope in backstroke but I didn't quit today.

What's yours gonna be?

ande

Ande:

Litigation is always expensive and best avoided unless you're a rich corporation or well funded organization.

Divorce is hard. But, as Eddie observed, bad marriages are equally difficult. I think being a divorce lawyer would be an awful job. You're dealing with people saying "what the f..." all the time, while being emotional wrecks. Yuck. You have to carefully choose your "what the f ...s." What's your next one?

born2fly
June 14th, 2007, 02:40 PM
Hey Paul-
Good to see ya back on here. When I was out in Denver you spoke about Ohio. Great job opening for USS swim coach at pool I swim at. Large team with plenty of studly swimmers. Same coach also coach high school team which is another great program and great school system!

I've been going thru mid life myself, but think its more work burnout than anything. I am on call 7x24x365 a year for work. Really can stress me out at times knowing Im always on call and might get a call on weekend and have to take a 4hr trip somewhere in Ohio. Ive thought about finding something new but I always go back to the positives/negatives and so far the positives are more than the negatives.

Greg

gull
June 14th, 2007, 05:19 PM
On my last day of work before moving to Austin, I left behind a quote from Davy Crockett (1835): "You can go to hell--I'm going to Texas." I heard it didn't go over too well.

scyfreestyler
June 14th, 2007, 05:37 PM
On my last day of work before moving to Austin, I left behind a quote from Davy Crockett (1835): "You can go to hell--I'm going to Texas." I heard it didn't go over too well.

:joker:

Some people just have no sense of humor. Have you hit the water yet gull?

As for divorce, a customer of mine who was married to his 5th wife, told me he would never get divorced ever again. I was happy to hear that he was devoted to making this one work, but then the punchline came. He said he figured it would be less expensive to have her killed than divorce her. :eek: Ugly, just ugly.

chlorine addict
June 19th, 2007, 09:49 PM
:joker:

Some people just have no sense of humor. Have you hit the water yet gull?

As for divorce, a customer of mine who was married to his 5th wife, told me he would never get divorced ever again. I was happy to hear that he was devoted to making this one work, but then the punchline came. He said he figured it would be less expensive to have her killed than divorce her. :eek: Ugly, just ugly.

If your customer had 5 heart bypasses (one per wife I've always said) and lives in Austin (and his last name begins with a C), then I know who he is and I'm not all too surprised he said it. I'm not making this up either - sad eh?

SwimStud
June 19th, 2007, 10:50 PM
"What the FREESTYLE ?!?!?!?!?!"

3strokes
June 20th, 2007, 10:04 AM
"What the FREESTYLE ?!?!?!?!?!"

Nooooooh!
F........... is
fly, flutterkick, froggerflugerfluhg or floggingthedeada$$horse or even freastbroke.

Peter Cruise
June 20th, 2007, 04:11 PM
What the FINA?

3strokes
June 20th, 2007, 11:00 PM
What the FINA?

FINAlly someone had the guts to say it out loud!

Paul Smith
June 22nd, 2007, 01:39 PM
Smith update #1

Best decision I/we have made in years....an old cliche about "close a door a window opens" is the best way to describe things.

Had multiple swimming related offers.....for now have turned down all but coaching part-time for Sun Devil Masters.

Had several headhunters call when word got out about our jumping ship from our "real" job......have accepted a position to help develop a casual footwear line from Red Wing (www.redwingcasuals.com).....which has turned out to be very cool and will allow the flexibility we had in out past life.

House in Colorado on the market for 13 days....just accepted an offer today....now keep the fingers crossed it all works out!

Training has been VERY sporadic.....no chance of making Woodlands but hoping to get enough training in to hit a SCM championship this fall.....the knee has "stabilized"....but the minor meniscus tear is not going to go away....just not sure I can handle another surgery in the near future.

ensignada
June 25th, 2007, 05:36 PM
Congrats, Paul. Except for the knee, that is all wonderful news. I'm happy for you.

Jeff Commings
June 25th, 2007, 06:19 PM
I saw the times you did at Highlands Ranch, and I am certain that is not you.

I'm waiting for the Paul Smith who cranked out world records even though he was feeling under the weather, had been traveling too much or had too many beers with clients.

I guess I'm going to have to take a few drives up I-10 to whip you into shape for Austin! Don't worry; I'll spare your knee all my breaststroke sets.

Allen Stark
June 26th, 2007, 11:34 AM
Paul,I admire your courage in setting off into the unknown.It sounds like everything is falling into place(except the knee.)I'll pray your knee heals fine without surgery.

Paul Smith
June 26th, 2007, 11:59 AM
I saw the times you did at Highlands Ranch, and I am certain that is not you.

I'm waiting for the Paul Smith who cranked out world records even though he was feeling under the weather, had been traveling too much or had too many beers with clients.

I guess I'm going to have to take a few drives up I-10 to whip you into shape for Austin! Don't worry; I'll spare your knee all my breaststroke sets.

Jeff......sad to admit it....but I've definitely lost my mojo! Normally I would blame evil Smith for something of this nature.....but he's even more of a loser than me these days!

The Fortress
June 26th, 2007, 12:55 PM
Smith update #1

Best decision I/we have made in years....an old cliche about "close a door a window opens" is the best way to describe things.

Had multiple swimming related offers.....for now have turned down all but coaching part-time for Sun Devil Masters.

Had several headhunters call when word got out about our jumping ship from our "real" job......have accepted a position to help develop a casual footwear line from Red Wing (www.redwingcasuals.com).....which (http://www.redwingcasuals.com%29.....which) has turned out to be very cool and will allow the flexibility we had in out past life.

House in Colorado on the market for 13 days....just accepted an offer today....now keep the fingers crossed it all works out!

Training has been VERY sporadic.....no chance of making Woodlands but hoping to get enough training in to hit a SCM championship this fall.....the knee has "stabilized"....but the minor meniscus tear is not going to go away....just not sure I can handle another surgery in the near future.

I love that you threw the dice in the air and moved. And congrats on the flexible new job! Fabulous. Don't worry about the swimming. You've been going at it at such a high level for so long, your body might need a slight break. I have no doubt that you will be flattening everyone again soon. Can't blame you for not having surgery on a minor tear either. My minor tear will remain uncut as well. Give yourself a well-deserved break from surgery. I already knew you were taking a break from evilstroke.

:drink:

jim clemmons
June 26th, 2007, 02:22 PM
I have no doubt that you will be flattening everyone again soon.

Sounds as though Paul will be working at "flattening" something all right - proabably his mid-section!

SwimStud
June 26th, 2007, 03:22 PM

My Favourite Crockett Quote:
"Holy *** look at all them Mexicans!" Early March, 1836.

Aqua Jock
June 27th, 2007, 10:44 AM
your comment is funny but it borders on racist
some might take offense

aj

My Favourite Crockett Quote:
"Holy *** look at all them Mexicans!" Early March, 1836.

SwimStud
June 27th, 2007, 11:16 AM
your comment is funny but it borders on racist
some might take offense

aj

It's nothing at all to with race...I'm mocking Crockett if anyone...take offence to that, if you must take offence.

The remark is not radically different to that made by George Armstrong Custer:

"Holy *** look at all them Indians!" Late June, 1876.

Although "Indian" is not a modern day acceptable appellation for Native Americans.

gull
June 27th, 2007, 12:01 PM
It only sounds racist because that is how it is used today (ie referring to any Latino individual as a Mexican). If the battle of the Alamo had been fought in Canadian territory, he would have said, "Look at all them Canadians!"

Anyway, I don't think he actually said that. Even if he had, who lived to tell about it?

SwimStud
June 27th, 2007, 12:04 PM
It only sounds racist because that is how it is used today (ie referring to any Latino individual as a Mexican). If the battle of the Alamo had been fought in Canadian territory, he would have said, "Look at all them Canadians!"

Anyway, I don't think he actually said that. Even if he had, who lived to tell about it?

I doubt he said it too...it's just me playing on your legit quote and having a lark.

In fact I did some historical research and noted that this sort of quote is very old, as uttered by Harold II of England:

"Holy **** look at all them Normans!" Mid October, 1066

3strokes
June 28th, 2007, 10:09 PM
In fact I did some historical research and noted that this sort of quote is very old, as uttered by Harold II of England:

"Holy **** look at all them Normans!" Mid October, 1066

Actually, Cheops, when laying the cornerstone of his pyramid as it was about to be (hand-)built, heard it first, when the first batch of slaves were brought in and told to start hauling them blocks of granite. All 50,000 of them said:

"Holy Mother of Amun (or Aton -depending on your beliefs), look at all them GIANT lego blocks we have to assemble!"

As they started, Cheops said, "Holy, my Mummy, look at all'em slaves!
It's like a -yellow- Kator Pillar from the Valley of the Dead!"

3strokes
June 28th, 2007, 10:12 PM
If the battle of the Alamo had been fought in Canadian territory.....

.... it would haf bin cole'd ze battle off "Les Alameaux".