PDA

View Full Version : Exhaling pattern in freestyle

okoban
June 8th, 2007, 03:17 PM
Assume you swim freestyle with 5 strokes per breath. What would be your exhaling pattern?
I used to exhale continuously, throughout the strokes, but I changed it recently.
I hold my breath for 3 strokes, exhale at the fourth and inhale at the fifth.
What are your experiences about it?

FindingMyInnerFish
June 10th, 2007, 11:15 AM
All of the above, I think, depending on what's in my head on a particular day. I need to get more consistent about breathing. Sometimes I'll start gung-ho, taking an in-breath every five to six strokes or so, forgetting to exhale properly, and then lose form, but I'm getting better with keeping the breathing/exhaling consistent. Lots of times it's about trying to make sure I'm focused.

geochuck
June 10th, 2007, 01:55 PM
I breath every stroke.

Redbird Alum
June 12th, 2007, 11:22 PM
... it's about trying to make sure I'm focused.

I could not agree more. However, I've found that I'm better controlled and my stroke seems to hold up better over a longer course if I set up to exhale at the fourth stroke only. Prevents me from getting into the gasping pattern!

okoban
June 15th, 2007, 05:23 PM
It seems that I asked a good question and there is no consensus about the exhaling pattern. At the beginning of a workout breathing every other stroke is more frequent than I need. In sprint sets 5 to 7 strokes per breath is OK for me. In an endurance set, I start with 4-5 strokes per breath and I start breathing more frequent in the latter stages.Thanks a lot for the replies and answers to the poll. Have a nice weekend.:drink: