PDA

View Full Version : Ouch!

Swimmy
June 10th, 2007, 02:49 PM
:cry:
Ouch!
I got a hard foot in my eye today in a race! As any swimmer would do, I checked to make sure my goggles were okay first and then checked if my eye was still there. Luckily both my goggles and my eye seem to be working fine. I may be sporting a black eye soon. My first battle injury!
Swimmy

JimRude
June 10th, 2007, 07:29 PM
Not to scare you or anything... but the same thing happened to me (very hard kick to the rimless Swedish goggle) when in college. For about 3-6 months I had a lump there, and the goggles continually rubbed on it. After a while, the bump began to discolor, scab, weep, etc. Went to the doctor less than a year later, and was told "basal cell carcinoma - time to operate". They took a nice chunk out from under my eye, and grafted skin there from behind my ear.

This was in the early 1980s, before everyone was big on sunscreen, so I'm not sure whether the kick/bump were related to the cancer, but just to be safe...

- keep an eye on the bruising
- cover it with high SPF sunscreen anytime you're outdoors
- after a few months, have a dermatologist look at it

Swimmy
June 10th, 2007, 07:48 PM
Yikes!

Swimmy:)

Julie Roddin
June 10th, 2007, 07:50 PM
:cry:
Ouch!
I got a hard foot in my eye today in a race! As any swimmer would do, I checked to make sure my goggles were okay first and then checked if my eye was still there. Luckily both my goggles and my eye seem to be working fine. I may be sporting a black eye soon. My first battle injury!
Swimmy

Hey! How was the race? I didn't see you guys after the 4.4, but as Mollie can tell you, I was a little out of it for a while. I just started feeling not sea sick anymore. I can't believe on a day with near perfect conditions and all the open water swimming I've been doing that I got so nauseous.

Congrats to you, Muppet (who got a nice award), Dave Barra, Sister Golden Hair and everyone else who was at the Bay Swim today! Great to see you all and great day for a swim!

Julie
</IMG>

Swimmy
June 10th, 2007, 08:33 PM
Hi Julie!
I was doing fine until the kick in the eye. The water was great! I left after I was done and did not stay to see the 4.4 finish. Sorry I missed seeing everyone. Another time...
Congrats on great swims, everyone!
Swimmy :)

FindingMyInnerFish
June 10th, 2007, 08:36 PM
Hope the black eye proves to be nothing more than that! On the upside, imagine how much your buds will be impressed when you tell the story about how you got it! :D

Congrats to all who did that swim!

Julie, sorry to hear you were seasick! I found myself getting a little queasy near the end of a mile o.w. swim last year, and usu. I don't get seasick--so at first I didn't even recognize it as seasickness, just thought something I ate didn't agree with me. Fortunately, I was almost finished, so I could get to shore before things got too dicey. But that would bite on a longer swim! Hope next year goes better!

Swimmy
June 10th, 2007, 09:00 PM
It is very tender. I have mark from my swedes. It is a little discolored, but I think it will be okay.
Try taking some ginger before a race for seasickness. I don't have a problem with that, and I always eat a little ginger before OW races where there are waves.

SwimStud
June 18th, 2007, 09:40 AM
Hope your eye gets better. My shoulder's feeling better lately...might be time to start building for the mile OW...but now have to find a convenient race--well event...it won't be a race in my mind lol...

Swimmy
June 18th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Hi Studmuffin!
My eye is feeling better. Thanks! There are some ocean races in NJ. Maybe you can come down. www.lmsports.com has a few races.

newmastersswimmer
June 18th, 2007, 01:26 PM
Sorry to hear about your eye injury Swimmy! I hope it heals fast! Sorry to hear about your nausea at the Bay Swim Julie....and Congrats to Muppet for winning an award! Open water swimming is for the true masochists among us LOL!

Bork

SwimStud
June 18th, 2007, 01:37 PM
Hi Studmuffin!
My eye is feeling better. Thanks! There are some ocean races in NJ. Maybe you can come down. www.lmsports.com (http://www.lmsports.com) has a few races.

hmm I could do the first week but they alll look like runs

Swimmy
June 18th, 2007, 01:38 PM
Thanks, Jim!
It really is more fun than it sounds! When are you going to come up for a race someday?
Who is coming to the Long Course meet on July 1st?
:cheerleader:

Swimmy
June 18th, 2007, 01:40 PM
hmm I could do the first week but they alll look like runs

July 14-Wildwood
July 21-Ocean City, NJ

SwimStud
June 18th, 2007, 01:50 PM
July 14-Wildwood
July 21-Ocean City, NJ

:( won't be in NJ then...

Swimmy
June 18th, 2007, 02:00 PM
How about June 30th? There is the Bridge to Bridge swim in AC.

SwimStud
June 18th, 2007, 02:02 PM
How about June 30th? There is the Bridge to Bridge swim in AC.

I'd have to come down earler than my family...logistically it would be tricky. I think I'll have to aim for a late one...

(I'm negotiating with the CEO and CFO on the AC swim. It's only a mile right? I've not trained and it leaves me a week LOL)

Swimmy
June 18th, 2007, 02:10 PM
There is the Rainbow Channel swim in early August. I was just reading the AC race info, and the race is late in the day. I will probably skip it, because I am working at the meet on the 1st.

SwimStud
June 18th, 2007, 02:17 PM
There is the Rainbow Channel swim in early August. I was just reading the AC race info, and the race is late in the day. I will probably skip it, because I am working at the meet on the 1st.

hey quit leading me on will ya lol. I'll wait and see on August. I think there's some stuff in CT too that I might be able to get to.

Swimmy
June 18th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Sorry, Studmuffin!
I can't help it that I am popular!
Swimmy :cheerleader: