PDA

View Full Version : Do you guys feel cheated???

hrietz
June 18th, 2007, 10:48 PM
that we don't have 400 and 800 meter butterfly events like the Aussies???

www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/lane9/news/14970.asp

Just imagine-they probably have 400 and 800 meter breastroke as well!!!

Blackbeard's Peg
June 18th, 2007, 11:03 PM
Not in the least! OUCH!!!:dedhorse::frustrated:
Great find, Heather!

Allen Stark
June 18th, 2007, 11:30 PM
The Aussies have records for all stroke in the 50,100,200,400,800, and 1500.Yes I am jealous,though I'm sure Jim Clemmons would kill me in the longer breaststrokes as 200 is about my limit.Now if there was a 25 breast:bouncing::bouncing::bouncing:

webfoot
June 20th, 2007, 02:03 AM

www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/lane9/news/14970.asp (http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/lane9/news/14970.asp)

Uuhh.....Yes, we certainly do! ;)

They are not offered as an event very often but they do have 'em!.... little silly really but oh well each to their own..

FindingMyInnerFish
June 20th, 2007, 07:27 AM
Ah, but do you folk down under have open water mile butterfly? :D

<jk>

When there are IM sets in my masters' workouts, I feel lucky to survive 25 yards of butterfly. The world is not ready to see me go longer. :eek:

Got Boost
June 20th, 2007, 11:41 AM
Wow! Back in the day I may have give a 400 a go but no way on the 800 fly.

ande
June 20th, 2007, 11:44 AM
i feel grateful that we don't
it's this an overwhelming sense of gratitude and thankfullness
can I get an amen?

www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/lane9/news/14970.asp

some_girl
June 20th, 2007, 12:35 PM
can I get an amen?

AMEN!!!

SwimStud
June 20th, 2007, 12:38 PM
can I get an amen?

AMEN!!!

Please refrain from using this forum to discuss religion.

:banana:

FindingMyInnerFish
June 20th, 2007, 01:26 PM
Please refrain from using this forum to discuss religion.
:banana:

But how can a person help it in this case? Can you see the terror that 800 fly strikes in the hearts of us in the States, how we all begin to experience both profound (nay, religious) gratitude that such events are not taking place here, along with nagging fears that they're coming? <insert music from Jaws here>

The preachers are already working on the sermons... ARE YOU READY TO MEET THE 800 BUTTERFLY? Repent, brothas and sistas, especially those of you doing that sinful breaststroke, and you know who you are.... :D

Peter Cruise
June 20th, 2007, 04:08 PM
Fishie- said 800 holds no terror; simply do butterfrog and take tea breaks along the way.

some_girl
June 20th, 2007, 06:06 PM
Fishie- said 800 holds no terror; simply do butterfrog and take tea breaks along the way.

Oh, sure, anything is easy if you cheat.

Peter Cruise
June 20th, 2007, 06:36 PM
Cheat? Entirely within the rules and brings a note of grace to the savage disharmony that is butterfly. Besides, you're entirely free to do it too and report back to us on how easy you found it.

swimr4life
June 20th, 2007, 07:40 PM
can I get an amen?

Amen brotha Ande! Preach on brotha! Let's heal the nation hurting for hope of a day when we will do nothing over a 50 butterfly! Halleluiah :p

The Fortress
June 20th, 2007, 10:16 PM
Amen brotha Ande! Preach on brotha! Let's heal the nation hurting for hope of a day when we will do nothing over a 50 butterfly! Halleluiah :p

Amen from me too! I like me a 50 fly. Why spoil the joy by doing so many extra lengths and possibly having to resort to butterfrog? I'm with Allen too. Nothing wrong with some 25s thrown in there.

Peter: Butterfrog is not easy. I can't do it at all. Too much like evilstroke. But it is darn ugly.

webfoot
June 21st, 2007, 12:26 AM

<jk>

When there are IM sets in my masters' workouts, I feel lucky to survive 25 yards of butterfly. The world is not ready to see me go longer. :eek:

No we don't officially, but I'm sure there is someone down here sick enough to give it a try! :p

Where I grew up in New Zealand I had a squad mate who used to do the 1500m timetrials butterfly because he preferred it to doing 1500 Frs!?:rolleyes:

some_girl
June 21st, 2007, 09:03 AM
Cheat? Entirely within the rules and brings a note of grace to the savage disharmony that is butterfly. Besides, you're entirely free to do it too and report back to us on how easy you found it.

I think your obsession with evilstroke has rendered you incapable of telling harmony from disharmony. Or maybe it is the Canadianness. Besides, it was you who implied you Frakenstein stroke was easier. I stay away from evilkick at all times! Also, anything longer than a 200. But maybe when you return to our fine land, we can a race a 50, post it on youtube, and let folks judge which is the most beautiful!

(Also, this is my 200th post. Defending the honor of the true stroke of Queens is only fitting.)

SwimStud
June 21st, 2007, 09:08 AM
(Also, this is my 200th post. Defending the honor of the true stroke of Queens is only fitting.)
Queens or Brooklyn?...make up your mind...

some_girl
June 21st, 2007, 09:10 AM
Queens or Brooklyn?...make up your mind...

Crowns not boroughs, SillyStud.

SwimStud
June 21st, 2007, 09:25 AM
Crowns not boroughs, SillyStud.

I thought FlyQueen was the Queen...

some_girl
June 21st, 2007, 09:33 AM
I thought FlyQueen was the Queen...

I'm pretty sure this year's results handed me the crown. I don't want to say that too loud, though, cause I think she can beat me up. According to the boy muppet, I am Queen of the Fly, while she is FlyQueen, and he saw the 50 that put me over the edge, though the results haven't been fixed yet.

SwimStud
June 21st, 2007, 09:35 AM
I'm pretty sure this year's results handed me the crown. I don't want to say that too loud, though, cause I think she can beat me up.

Just say "Look! there's Aaron!" then suckerpunch her when she turns her head..:rofl:

Frank Thompson
June 21st, 2007, 02:43 PM
The Aussies have records for all stroke in the 50,100,200,400,800, and 1500.

If we had records like this it would make more coaches give workouts like Michigan Husker was referiing to in the other thread. I see a lot of similarities in the workouts and the event distances. That would be the excuse to give workouts like that.

webfoot
June 21st, 2007, 09:03 PM
If we had records like this it would make more coaches give workouts like Michigan Husker was referiing to in the other thread. I see a lot of similarities in the workouts and the event distances. That would be the excuse to give workouts like that.

Well thankfully, it has never had that effect here! :yawn:

I think most of the form stroke longer distances are done by those trying to get some sense of acheivement, it's fairly rare that the good 100 - 200 competitors bother to do them. (unless they want their name on yet another record)

They are also only offered on our event schedule once a year at the specific long distance meet. (thank goodness...who wants to sit through all of that at your local meet!? ) :laugh2:

hrietz
June 22nd, 2007, 12:52 AM
Well thankfully, it has never had that effect here! :yawn:

I think most of the form stroke longer distances are done by those trying to get some sense of acheivement, it's fairly rare that the good 100 - 200 competitors bother to do them. (unless they want their name on yet another record)

They are also only offered on our event schedule once a year at the specific long distance meet. (thank goodness...who wants to sit through all of that at your local meet!? ) :laugh2:

That's fortunate. I can only imagine how long those 1500 and 800 meter breastroke events take!!!

That Guy
June 23rd, 2007, 06:55 PM

<jk>

There are people who swim open water butterfly...how does a 5K sound?

http://www.bigshoulders.org/ (about 2/3 of the way down the page)

Here's a rarely contested event, the 5000 LCM freestyle:

http://www.swimpna.org/pdf/results/2006/20060708_SKitsap_LCM_results.pdf