PDA

View Full Version : could you/would you do this?

born2fly
June 19th, 2007, 12:18 PM
Personally I think I would go bonkers after a week. Not to mention the swimming withdrawls.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070619/sc_afp/spacemarseurope_070619110956

greg

ensignada
June 19th, 2007, 01:39 PM
I think I could hang in there for a long spell if I were alone. But being in that kind of confined space with other people would wear me down quickly.

Slowswim
June 19th, 2007, 02:56 PM
That actually doesn't seem that cramped. The boredom will be the issue. Why can't they take a swim machine? It can be vertical or horizontal with mechanical resistance. A good pairing with the treadmills and stationery bikes NASA uses now.

Or is this just an obvious attempt to get some quality Tri training in at someone else's expense?:mooning::banana:
</IMG></IMG>

knelson
June 19th, 2007, 04:05 PM
It can be vertical or horizontal with mechanical resistance.

I supposed on an actual space flight they could mount a swim machine on the wall. There's no reason it would need to take up floor space. Or better yet, have a wind tunnel capsule in the spaceship where you would "swim" against the airflow. That sounds pretty fun!

newmastersswimmer
June 19th, 2007, 04:10 PM
I wonder how the real atronauts will survive the prolonged exposure to the solar winds though? My brother in law is an ex-flight director at NASA ...and he says this is one of the biggest obstacles. I think it would be interesting to see how the volunteers do though.

Bork

Ivor
June 19th, 2007, 05:42 PM
I have but four words for you:

Lord of the Flies

Peter Cruise
June 19th, 2007, 08:14 PM
Ivor, you old anarcho-syndicalist...

SwimStud
June 19th, 2007, 11:23 PM
I think I could hang in there for a long spell if I were alone. But being in that kind of confined space with other people would wear me down quickly.

Depends who the others are ;)

ensignada
June 20th, 2007, 04:39 PM

Still too many people.....

Got Boost
June 20th, 2007, 07:09 PM
No to both. I get stir crazy staying in the house a couple days when my son is sick. The line "All Work and No Play Makes Jack a Dull Boy" comes to mind.
Got Boost.

FindingMyInnerFish
June 20th, 2007, 11:48 PM
Well, darn! I'm over the max age, plus I don't live in one of the qualifying countries, so I guess I'll never know how I'd like such a ... um ... paid vacation. And they'll never find out what a perfect candidate I would have been. :cool:

Phew! Dodged THAT bullet!

craiglll@yahoo.com
June 22nd, 2007, 03:55 PM
I've never understood why go to space. I find it so interesting just ot sit on a park bench and watch humans.

3strokes
June 23rd, 2007, 07:02 PM

'Zaktlee.

Now, if it were

1)
me,

2)
that squad of ex-Israeli army gals from Maxim and

3)
an unlimited supply of Via....., er........... Cial........, I mean Oysters

I believe I could be dragged there (kicking and screaming?) by a team of wild Percherons.