PDA

View Full Version : No smoking please

GGS5T
June 30th, 2007, 09:13 AM
I don't know what rules you have in the States regarding smoking in public places, but from tomorrow (July 1st) we in England will enforce new rules which prohibit smokers from lighting up in enclosed public buildings.

I confess here and now, I am a smoker (about 40 a day) and a masters swimmer, and with the new anti-smoking laws coming into force tomorrow, I am asking you to reflect on the passing of an old tradition.

Why do you non-smokers envy us so much? Is it our free spirit, our calmness while the rest of you are stressed out? Do you wish you too had our willpower? It's time you gave us the respect we deserve. You will hear television sports commentators referring to sportsmen as heroes. Rubbish! The real heroes amongst us are smokers!

Have you noticed that smokers are, in general, upright, honest and worthy members of society? I can honestly say, I've yet to meet a bad apple amongst the smoking fraternity. We aren't aggressive - and why should we be? We are happy just to light up and let the world go by. It's the rest of you who have a problem.

You are so busy rushing around that you miss out on tranquillity and peacefulness. Yet the smoker takes time to seek out the best place to enjoy his cigarette. A quiet corner, away from the crowd where he can light up and enjoy his own company. A river bank - the birds singing - the fish rising - the sound of a striking match. The serenity of the occasion is almost poetry. Oh what joy!

I'll be straight with you. I much prefer the smell of a pipe or cigar, especially at Christmas time, but as you know, the smell of cigarette smoke on someone's clothes or hair can be attractive, even alluring!

At times us smokers feel that the whole world is against us. Who else would be banned from restaurants for refusing to be miserable? You'll never see a smoker without a smile on his face. Happiness for us is a cigarette lightly held between the first and second finger, allowing the aroma to permeate through the atmosphere. It can be likened to a concert violinist caressing his bow gently across the strings to produce an immaculate note.

I know you’ll say that after coming home from a theatre or restaurant that you can smell the cigarette smoke on your clothes. What a magnificent token to let you know that you have enjoyed the rich tapestry of life. You have taken part in enjoying a good time with your fellow beings. Even the next morning this smell of smoke serves as a reminder that you've had a great time.

Smokers are the most considerate people on earth. Just think about it. When you are eating out, how many times have you heard a fellow diner ask, “Do you mind if I read a book?” Or “Do you mind if I put salt on my dinner?” Never! Yet the request, “Do you mind if I smoke?” can be heard in restaurants up and down the land. Do you admire this concern for our fellow man? Sadly, no. But you should.

I am astonished at the way my fellow smokers preserve their dignity when all they hear from the rest of you are cries of, Obnoxious, Offensive and Disgusting! When the insults are flying the smoker displays the patience of a Saint. Perhaps I shouldn't be surprised. It takes courage to stand alone.

Can you imagine the anguish we endure when buying a packet of cigarettes emblazoned with the message 'Smoking Kills'. We are fully aware that it isn't the healthiest option, but is it right that we have to suffer condemnation from fellow customers when the newsagent places the packet on the counter with the warning message displayed for all to see? You will never hear us complain about this prejudice. How many smokers have asked for the packet to be placed in a plain brown envelope? None, yet why should fellow shoppers have the right to read this notice and then look down their noses disapprovingly? I think we are bordering on a human rights issue here.

Nowhere in society will you witness disapproval on such a grand scale against such placid, easy-going and unruffled members of the public. You all envy us, but isn't it time you went one step further and gave us the applause and acclaim we so richly deserve? And let's hope that our carefree nature becomes contagious. It's something you could all benefit from.

GGS5T
(England)

islandsox
June 30th, 2007, 10:18 AM
I, too, am a swimmer, primarily distance is my preference now that I no longer have a sprint gear. Everyone in my family except me smokes, and there is no indication of any lung-related, cardiovascular problems associated with their lifelong habits. I will say this, I think mentioning that you are the envy of others is, well, slightly ridiculous. Many people who don't smoke are also very good people who keep their opinions to themselves.

I have witnessed many times over people who condem smokers for that "nasty" habit. I say, each to his own, no reason to ridicule because that person may be harming themselves and if so, let them. And I'm not totally convinced that secondhand smoke is all that harmful; just because a group of "doctors" say so, has not convinced me. Too many people are eager to believe everything told to them without researching it themselves. It's like eggs used to be bad for us and now they are not. Many foods that were taboo are now okay. These "studies" are the reasons I use my common sense when it comes to anything I put into my body.

California first led our nation in banning smoking back in the 1980s. What has happened since then is there are actually places a person cannot smoke on their own property. One of these is an area of Bay Farm Island; you are fined if you smoke in your yard or in your home. This is ridiculous. Sounds like a police-state up and coming to me. A person in this section of BFI can also only paint their homes one of three colors or be fined! Uh, we moved.

I don't advocate smoking nor do I ridicule those who do. I just don't much care either way. My husband smokes in our house; it just doesn't bother me; guess my body has an easy time processing any pollutants.

I can't envy you because I don't know you personally and I only envy people who have made tremendous accomplishments in their lives in how they treat others, charitable causes, trustworthy, etc., you get the idea. So please don't look for any admiration from me even though I don't mind people who smoke; I don't know you well enough to admire you (yet).

I did hear that one bar in London is getting a permit that links the bar to a country in the Caribbean, that way he can legally allow people to smoke. Not sure of all of these details though. And I will say one more thing: I would never ask a person to not smoke around me; I'd just move 20 feet away. This scenario reminds me of a person who is sick but stays at a restaurant dinner table coughing and sneezing spewing germs to everyone. I would never ask them to stop coughing and sneezing; I'd change tables.

knelson
June 30th, 2007, 06:04 PM
I admit it. I admire all you smokers, and I also admire all those calm and collected heroin and meth addicts. Heck, we don't even have to share their drug of choice unlike smokers!

Nice troll, by the way.

Peter Cruise
June 30th, 2007, 08:07 PM
Um...I think Graham is emulating the spirit of Swift's 'A Modest Proposal'...

CreamPuff
June 30th, 2007, 08:08 PM
Is that why everyone in England has yellow teeth?

Seriously though, how does one smoke and swim well?

fanstone
June 30th, 2007, 08:29 PM
I think, Peter Cruise, that you are pretty smart. Not sure all will perceive your linking of Swift with the guy that started this thread. Having said that, I admit to having smoked till some ten years ago. I quit, not so much for health reasons, but because it got to be a hassle just to light one up. Here is the definition of the tobacco habit: it is the only addiction that you don't get any pleasure from, but you do get immense displeasure once you quit.

Blackbeard's Peg
June 30th, 2007, 11:54 PM
When it comes to smoking, Europe has a completely different mindset than the US. Rich, and anyone who has lived or travelled o'er across the pond, you can verify.
When I was in Italy 5 years ago, there were smokers all over the place. If you saw anyone heading out for nitelife, they had a pack. People lighting up all the time after a meal. Its almost like it was drinking a bottle of water. In the USA, we have associated smoking with bad habits, dirtiness, cancer & death. It is a frowned upon activity.

FindingMyInnerFish
July 1st, 2007, 08:31 AM
When it comes to smoking, Europe has a completely different mindset than the US. Rich, and anyone who has lived or travelled o'er across the pond, you can verify.
When I was in Italy 5 years ago, there were smokers all over the place. If you saw anyone heading out for nitelife, they had a pack. People lighting up all the time after a meal. Its almost like it was drinking a bottle of water. In the USA, we have associated smoking with bad habits, dirtiness, cancer & death. It is a frowned upon activity.

When I was in Paris several years back, restaurants would have non-smoking sections which consisted of a few tables... these would be very near smoking tables, so it wasn't exactly cigarette smoke free.

In relation to ppl asking if you mind if they smoke vs. asking if you mind if they put salt on their food, inhaling salted food isn't quite the same as inhaling cigarettes smoke.

That said, as a former smoker, I am not in too much of a position to judge those who smoke. I have to admit, I didn't so much "give up smoking" as lost the habit of it. I was having a resurgence of faith, and along with that, the desire to smoke was gradually diminishing until I was down to maybe one or two cigarettes a day. Then someone very close to me who had lung problems and was a smoker advised me to quit while I was smoking so little b/c she said, the habit could come back. Personally I didn't think it would, but I also realized that if I didn't stop, she might think she couldn't stop--and for her, stopping could save her life. So, for her, I stopped, and later she stopped, although I'm not sure whether or not it had anything to do with my stopping. No matter. I'm really grateful now that I don't smoke, b/c cigs are soooo expensive nowadays and I'm not in a place where I have money to spare for them. Have to spend my $ on more practical things like raspberry mochas. ;)

I have to give my mom more credit as she stopped cold turkey, smoking maybe a pack a day and then one day totally stopped, never touched another cigarette again. Also religiously motivated: she'd prayed to St. Anthony that she'd find something she lost and in return she promised she'd stop smoking. She found what she'd lost and kept her promise. (I don't remember if she ever said what she'd lost.)

As for admiring or envying smokers, like Donna I'm in the t'weech her own school--not going to tell smokers they're criminals and social pariahs, and I have admired many a smoker, including my parents and many who have done wonderful things and who also happen to like a cigarette or three. And maybe a raspberry mocha.

aquageek
July 1st, 2007, 10:21 AM
In the USA, we have associated smoking with bad habits, dirtiness, cancer & death. It is a frowned upon activity.

Is there an alternate association - like good habits, cleanliness, long life?

stillwater
July 1st, 2007, 12:10 PM
I tried to cure my cig habit with one of those nicotine patches. It didn't work, I couldn't keep the darned thing lit.

FindingMyInnerFish
July 1st, 2007, 04:25 PM
I tried to cure my cig habit with one of those nicotine patches. It didn't work, I couldn't keep the darned thing lit.

:rofl::lolup:

Thanks for the laugh!

3strokes
July 1st, 2007, 04:27 PM

That's NOT how it works.
You're supposed to put the patch over your mouth and then duct-tape over it and over your nostrils too.
In under a few minutes, you'll never smoke again.:D

On 02-02-2002 I used my first patch (of the series) and -I still don't know how it worked and those who know/knew me never thought I'd be able to do it- quit cold (well, tepid) turkey, after 45+ years of an average 3 to 4 packs a day.

chlorine addict
July 4th, 2007, 12:45 PM
I'm completely against smoking. Just being around it aggravates my allergies and gives me a headache. However, admittedly, I've wonderred why we don't see warnings such as "Causes Obesity and Mortality", "Cheese, the Silent Killer", "Frech Fries = Death Sticks", and the likes. Seems unfair that one bad and potentially fatal habit is treated differently (and more harshly) than others we indulge in. I mean, when was the last time you saw someone refused a seat in an eatery because they were fat?

Those who workout every day and have some sort of dessert every day are not frowned upon as are folks like our English friend who workout and smoke. To be fair, however, someone who exercises yet drinks 10 or so alcoholic beverages throughout every day IS seen in lesser light than a smoker indulging in 10 or so cigs. So cheer up laddie, you score better than you think. :D

chlorine addict
July 4th, 2007, 12:47 PM
having probs w/ posting...see next one (well, only if interested that is).

chlorine addict
July 4th, 2007, 12:48 PM
I'm completely against smoking. Just being around it aggravates my allergies and gives me a headache. However, admittedly, I've wonderred why we don't see warnings such as "Causes Obesity and Mortality", "Cheese, the Silent Killer", "Frech Fries = Death Sticks", and the likes. Seems unfair that one bad and potentially fatal habit is treated differently (and more harshly) than others we indulge in. I mean, when was the last time you saw someone refused a seat in an eatery because they were fat?

Those who workout every day and have some sort of dessert every day are not frowned upon as are folks like our English friend who workout and smoke. To be fair, however, someone who exercises yet drinks 10 or so alcoholic beverages throughout every day IS seen in lesser light than a smoker indulging in 10 or so cigs. So cheer up laddie, you score better than you think. :D

FindingMyInnerFish
July 5th, 2007, 07:14 AM

Ah but a case can be made for certain desserts: Consider, for instance, the benefits of dark chocolate (http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20040601/dark-chocolate-day-keeps-doctor-away) (one of my dietary staples, ha ha!). And those who choose ice cream can always point to the calcium in milk products. And for those who need a fruit serving: Godiva dark chocolate raspberry bars. :D

These all taste soooo much better than cigarettes!

aquageek
July 5th, 2007, 09:29 AM
My completely non medical opinion is that if you are gonna smoke, just give it up on the athletic stuff. What's the point in all honesty? Sit back, smoke it up and don't bother with the gym.

Blackbeard's Peg
July 5th, 2007, 09:33 AM
... I've wonderred why we don't see warnings such as "Causes Obesity and Mortality", "Cheese, the Silent Killer", "Frech Fries = Death Sticks", and the likes. Seems unfair that one bad and potentially fatal habit is treated differently (and more harshly) than others we indulge in. I mean, when was the last time you saw someone refused a seat in an eatery because they were fat?

It is interesting - for every study showing that a certain food, beverage, exercise, habit, etc. is a benefit to your health in some way, there is another one saying that very "benefit" is a detriment. I'm sure someone has conducted a study that concluded smoking was beneficial for something.

And with french fries, its a frickin vegetable, for pete's sake. Just because it is cut into a wedge, string, waffle, etc. and cooked in oil doesn't make it inherently bad for you. (Biased food industry view)
:banana:

Slowswim
July 5th, 2007, 09:40 AM
I'm on the fence about smoking. I always hated being subjected to it in restaurants and bars for ruining my foods taste and my clothes' smell. I lived in Germany for 6 years and every time we went out it was thesame thing. Also the smoke from US cigarette triggers my wife's asthma. So I'm glad its banned.
:applaud:

Having said that, it a legal substance and adults should be allowed to enjoy as they wish and the market place should decide. If all these people objected to smoking as they say, than where are all the non-smoking restaurants and bars?
:dunno:

I flew Lufthansa once and asked for a non-smoking seat. During the flight the guys on both sides of me lit up. I asked the attendant if I was in the non-smoking section. She said, "no your seat is non-smoking." So basically tye non-smoking was in the only seat on the plane where smoking was prohibited!!!
:whiteflag:

MichiganHusker
July 5th, 2007, 01:26 PM
The reason us non-smokers are "envious" of smokers is because we are left with the majority of the workload at our respective jobs when you smokers go out "on-break" several times in the day. Not too mention the disproportionate amount of sick time smokers take.

Furthermore, smokers help increase various types of insurance (life, health, auto, dental, etc.). Why should non-smokers have to bear this burden?

knelson
July 5th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Seems unfair that one bad and potentially fatal habit is treated differently (and more harshly) than others we indulge in.

For one, there's no such thing as second-hand eating :)

aquageek
July 5th, 2007, 02:54 PM
For one, there's no such thing as second-hand eating :)

Yes, there is, when my daughter's don't finish their dinner I'm prone to finishing it off. Zero calories in second hand dinner also.

The Fortress
July 5th, 2007, 06:08 PM
I get all my bad calories from my salty potato chip addiction. I really shouldn't have them in the house.

I hate smoke. It really bothers my allergies. Definitely not envious of anyone smoking. Really annoyed if they pollute my air space. On the other hand, if someone wants to smoke in private where it won't bother me, I don't care. It's their choice. Not a great choice, given the obvious and known risks, but it's up to them. Most people have some bad habit. This one is, unfortunately, highly addictive and kills people. Watching a smoker die from throat cancer is not very pleasant.

chlorine addict
July 5th, 2007, 11:17 PM
And with french fries, its a frickin vegetable, for pete's sake. Just because it is cut into a wedge, string, waffle, etc. and cooked in oil doesn't make it inherently bad for you. (Biased food industry view)
:banana:[/quote]

Ooooohh - I like this! Now I feel muuuuch better about eating that fried okra I love so much! :groovy:

craiglll@yahoo.com
July 6th, 2007, 11:35 AM
I live in Urbana, IL. The Univeristy of Illinois is here. The city has banned smoking inside, regardless of what type of building it is. Now when peole have to smoke in bars, they go outside. Many bring their beer or drink with them. After I finish swimming in an outdoor pool, I have to walk about quarter of a mile to catch a bus. I must walk by a bar. The sidewalk is now covered with cigarette butts and there are usually 4 to 8 people standing on the walk smoking & drinking. I have togo out into the street to gwet by them. It is so gross. Nothing is worse than a bunch of drunks with cigarettes hanginig out of their mouths!

Does anyone know how much the federal government give tobacco growers? I know inthe 80s the tobacco crop was the most heavily subsidized crop produced inthe US. What a sin.

scyfreestyler
July 6th, 2007, 12:15 PM
A buddy of mine has a theory that smoking can actually be good for your health. He opines that the viri and bacteria that plague you will actually attach themselves to the smoke as it enters your lungs and then be expelled from the body as you exhale. This theory was the result of a vivid imagination, Las Vegas, an abundance of liquor, and a lack of sleep.

3degree
July 6th, 2007, 05:22 PM
A quiet corner, away from the crowd where he can light up and enjoy his own company. A river bank - the birds singing - the fish rising - the sound of a striking match. The serenity of the occasion is almost poetry. Oh what joy!

Oh yeah, Joy! :shakeshead: Only for the self absorbed smoker (as ALL of the above diatribe shows) who doesn't care whose face he/she blows it into and what they do with the detritus of their habit--

The (what used to be unspoiled) river bank .....(or see Chicago/Indiana/ Florida Beach......... ) Until you look down a find all the cigarette butts and pack remnants strewn everywhere.....

Hard to find a day driving out on the Chicagoland roadways that I'm not behind a smoker who isn't throwing their plastic wrapper out the window or sunroof!! Or a week when I'm not picking up an empty cigarette pack from the curb in front of my house.

In college, I used to work for a company that cleaned shopping mall/business' parking lots. The bulk of what we had to do could be done by driving a vacuum truck around the lot; The bulk of time we spent was for the butts along all the curbs and walks, all those had to be swept up by hand! You can't imagine the number of people who used to just dump out their ashtrays in the parking lot-- so that there would be heaps of crap to pick/sweep up! (now I'm not even sure an ashtray is ever even used IN the car- it all just goes out the window).

At times us smokers feel that the whole world is against us. ....... Nowhere in society will you witness disapproval on such a grand scale against such placid, easy-going and unruffled members of the public.

Decent (not too long) read-- Fiction book by Kyle Mills based on a tobacco company executive's reaction to the multiple lawsuits and ceasing cigarette production and its ramifications. http://www.amazon.com/Smoke-Screen-Kyle-Mills/dp/0340734302/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3/002-0207770-9969614?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1183755781&sr=8-3 It theorizes along the lines of a lot of people who cannot adjust to the loss of their habit and the loss of revenue to the gov't. :2cents:

Smokers are the most considerate people on earth. GGS5T
(England)

Until you are riding next to one on a motorcycle and you flinch as the lit cigarette butt flashes the cinders across the visor of your helmet and you realize that COULD have been your eyes!!! or you have to take one hand off the handlebars to start fishing around in leather jacket to see if that thrown butt is still smoldering somewhere in there! (and those have happened more than a couple of times!) :bitching:

CreamPuff
July 9th, 2007, 02:15 PM
I need to be more sensitive to the smokers.

This weekend I was sitting at a table in a restaurant next to a smoker.

I felt I went in with a good attitude of I'm sure the second hand smoke from one puny cig won't hurt me. (Course, she was chain smoking one right after the other the whole time. It was sort of like I was on the last 100 of an 800 m free race where I couldn't breathe too well. . .)

After about 15 minutes of inhaling this gal's fumes (with no end in sight), I started getting sick to my stomach.

I loudly announced, "I'm gonna PUKE. This smoke is making me f*****g SICK!"
And what do you know - she and her friend immediately moved far away! Excellent.
And we also got two free drinks on the house - not sure if that was related to my outburst.
So, it worked out well.

Dang! Smokers are really nice people! :lmao:

knelson
July 9th, 2007, 07:23 PM
This weekend I was sitting at a table in a restaurant next to a smoker.

Smoking in a bar or restaurant? Sounds like you need to move to a different state :)

scyfreestyler
July 9th, 2007, 07:26 PM
I get a reminder of what smoking in restaurants is like whenever we go to Las Vegas...I don't miss it.

CreamPuff
July 9th, 2007, 08:55 PM
Smoking in a bar or restaurant? Sounds like you need to move to a different state :)

Fortunately, smoking is banned in GA in many area restaurants. However, some places appear to either be "grandfathered in" or they simply take a risk and break the law. So, I don't usually have that kind of experience.

Per my avatar, I rarely need to resort to the gas mask. :joker:

swimr4life
July 9th, 2007, 09:32 PM
:violin: GGS5T, You can't be serious!

AlanM
July 10th, 2007, 07:27 AM
I fully support the right of anyone to smoke, as long as they do not violate the rights of the rest to breathe in clean air. The decision in England, to catch up with the rest of the UK and ban smoking in enclosed public places, seems like common sense to me. This now means that non smokers will be able to kill themselves with alcohol without having to worry about dying from lung cancer first!

As a masters swimmer, I'd be really happy if everyone in my age group started smoking heavily, right now. This should clear the way for me to reign supreme when I advance to older age groups. :laugh2:

FindingMyInnerFish
July 10th, 2007, 08:16 AM
Dang! Smokers are really nice people! :lmao:

LOL! Also marijuana smokers can be very nice! I was once on a trolley when a guy lit up a marijuana joint near me. I started to cough and he looked over to me, apologized, and put out the joint. (Since then, and maybe even at that time, there was a ban on all smoking, including marijuana on SEPTA vehicles.)

lefty
July 11th, 2007, 10:40 AM
LOL! Also marijuana smokers can be very nice! I was once on a trolley when a guy lit up a marijuana joint near me. I started to cough and he looked over to me, apologized, and put out the joint. (Since then, and maybe even at that time, there was a ban on all smoking, including marijuana on SEPTA vehicles.)

I have never had a marijuana smoker not offer me some of his/her joint to me. And when you think of how much pleasure said joint gives said smoker, that really is quite a gesture. So I guess marijuana smokers are nicer than cig. smokers.

Slowswim
July 11th, 2007, 11:40 AM
Fortunately, smoking is banned in GA in many area restaurants. However, some places appear to either be "grandfathered in" or they simply take a risk and break the law. So, I don't usually have that kind of experience.

Per my avatar, I rarely need to resort to the gas mask. :joker:

Kristina:

As I understand it, as long as the Bar/restaurant only serves to people over 21, smoking can be permitted in GA.
</IMG>

Sofia88
May 4th, 2016, 03:37 PM
40 a day is quite extreme! Yup, non smokers smell you...that is disgusting. I worked on the 7th floor. Get on the elevator after lunch and ride up with a smoker who just put one out. UGH! Nauseating. Not to mention all the second hand smoke you are sharing. We do not appreciate that. Aren't you worried about your health, smoking 40 a day? I watched my dad fade away with lung cancer. Yes, they say and its true, lung cancer patients don't die, they fade away. Try to stay well.