PDA

View Full Version : Musings about age and speed

Allen Stark
July 1st, 2007, 10:11 PM
I was just wondering which I would have found more believable 40 yr ago:Could someone break 19 for a 50 free or could a 60 yr old break 50 for a 100. Both would have seemed incredible,but I think the 50 time would have been more believable as times kept getting faster,but no one had ever heard of Masters swimming,let alone that we geezers could actually swim fast.:cheerleader::banana:

rtodd
July 2nd, 2007, 09:57 PM
Rich Abrahams is really 34. He just got allot of sun from being at the beach.

quicksilver
July 3rd, 2007, 11:12 AM
Some people are fortunate enough to be afflicted with Dick Clark's syndrome.

Aging is just a state of mind. You can grow old...or you can remain a teenager.

The choice is yours.

smontanaro
July 3rd, 2007, 11:50 AM
Some people are fortunate enough to be
afflicted with Dick Clark's syndrome. Aging is just a state of
mind. You can grow old...or you can remain a teenager.

It's fine to remain a teenager, but one of the side effects of Dick
Clark's syndrome seems to be that your musical tastes don't improve.
Personally, I would prefer to age gracefully and acquire a taste for,
say, Wynton Marsalis or Martin Sexton along the way. :)

Skip Montanaro

quicksilver
July 3rd, 2007, 01:10 PM
Very true.

There's nothing wrong in playing the oldies...(classic rock)... but you do have to stay fresh.

My daughter cracks up when I blast a L'il John or Chamillionaire song on the car stereo.

scyfreestyler
July 3rd, 2007, 01:39 PM
Perhaps it is due to technology, but parents in general seem to be much more "hip" these days than they were when I was a kid (I'm 32 now). Right now our 7 year old thinks it's cool...eventually she and her friends will point and laugh at us old folk trying to pretend that we are still young and cool.

jim clemmons
July 3rd, 2007, 03:46 PM
Right now our 7 year old thinks it's cool...eventually she and her friends will point and laugh at us old folk trying to pretend that we are still young and cool.

Yeah, you probably have 4 to 7 more years left before that happens. Longer if you're really fortunate.

Not that I'm being negative about my own "experience", just telling it like it happened.

The Fortress
July 3rd, 2007, 10:10 PM
Yeah, you probably have 4 to 7 more years left before that happens. Longer if you're really fortunate.

Not that I'm being negative about my own "experience", just telling it like it happened.

I think Jim's estimate is about right. However, being a masters swimmer gives you a bit of an edge. When my kids tell their friends they can't go somewhere b/c I have a meet or practice (and hence can't drive them around), I think they are a little bit proud. Their friends are usually taken aback by the novelty of it.

Plus, as Quicksilver points out, you have to try to stay fresh and keep your ipod properly updated.

It is pretty amazing that there is a 60 year old swimming a sub 50 100 free. But the 40+ crowd seems to just keep getting faster and faster. :groovy: