PDA

View Full Version : speedo endurance.. yikes!

swimchickee
July 6th, 2007, 09:52 PM
i ordered a speedo endurance in my regular lycra size and tried it on today at home... and it fits pretty well except for the bottom part! i'm sure it'll ride up sooner or later and i'll moon everyone. eeks are speedo endurances usually like this? a bigger size would balloon in the water...

Konrad
July 6th, 2007, 10:18 PM
I think I got one of those last year and I wore it maybe twice. The material is so uncomfortable and it does not seen to stretch at all.

some_girl
July 6th, 2007, 10:30 PM
I pretty much only wear speedo endurance suits (I have one Dolphin poly too): It does stretch, though slowly, and I do get wedgies. I don't care about the latter since I have mastered the flip-turn un-wedge maneuver, but they do seem to move less than lycra, so the wedgie is not so bad. So I wouldn't worry so much. If you are used to lycra maybe it will seem odd, but they last about a million times longer.

swimchickee
July 6th, 2007, 10:42 PM
I pretty much only wear speedo endurance suits (I have one Dolphin poly too): It does stretch, though slowly, and I do get wedgies. I don't care about the latter since I have mastered the flip-turn un-wedge maneuver, but they do seem to move less than lycra, so the wedgie is not so bad. So I wouldn't worry so much. If you are used to lycra maybe it will seem odd, but they last about a million times longer.

whats the flipturn un wedge maneuver?! i desparately need to learn this!

SwimStud
July 6th, 2007, 11:03 PM

Me too...well at least I'll take a lesson from Some_Girl on Jul 15!

I love my Endurance Jammers...you girls should just get over your inhibitions and wear them...
:banana:

...all those in favour...

FindingMyInnerFish
July 7th, 2007, 06:03 AM
Me too...well at least I'll take a lesson from Some_Girl on Jul 15!

I love my Endurance Jammers...you girls should just get over your inhibitions and wear them...
:banana:

...all those in favour...

We should wear jammers? What kind of top do you recommend with them? :D

I bought a poly suit online with a higher cut than I'm used to but it stays in place fine, but yeah, it does take a little acclimating.

dorothyrde
July 7th, 2007, 06:59 AM

There is also the 6 kick drill on the side tug you can do as well. These suits seem to be made for some alien no-hipped women. Even the teen girls get major wedgies from them. I tried sizing up, and it just made the top gap badly.

Slowswim
July 7th, 2007, 10:04 AM
I love my Endurance Square Legs, just long enough for bike and run, short enough to stay cool during the race, and wears like iron.

nkfrench
July 7th, 2007, 03:21 PM
My endurance suit ... it creeps up and as the suit gets older it seems to get worse. It is really annoying to have to adjust it so much.

But on its worst day it still is better than those old nylon suits we wore in HS (1973). We had a shoestring to keep the straps from falling off the shoulders AND the butt still kept riding up. We would hook our thumbs into the bottom on flipturns in practice, probably a few times in meets. Thank GOODNESS those days are gone!

While the endurance suit is not as comfortable as the lycra suits, it is nice to have more than the 3 months of steady training in a lycra suit before it disintegrates into spandex crumbs and see-through. There is a hottub at one of my swim venues, and it's nice to indulge in that afterwards without thinking that it is going to result in untimely demise of a $70 lycra training speedo (what it costs to special order my size).

some_girl
July 7th, 2007, 08:11 PM
The flip-turn un-wedge: At a point in your turn, your hand should be near your butt, usually when your legs are coming over and you are doing the final pull. Un-wedge then. I do not reccommend doing it at the end where your coach stands, but that might be paranoia on my part. It took me a little bit to be able to do it and not pause. Good luck.

swimchickee
July 7th, 2007, 09:45 PM
hahaha i have a male swim coach... bleh.
i also do this too, but it's REALLY hard with paddles... and we have these long pulling sets. oh boy.

The Fortress
July 8th, 2007, 11:12 PM
I must have a weird body. I don't get that wedgie thing. My speedo chlorine resistant suit lasted forever though! The lining is now tearing, and I have to discard. If anything, it was a bit big on top. Same as some_girl, it stretched, but very slowly. Not my fav suit though. Haven't found a fav practice suit yet. In general, though, my speedos seem to wear out very fast. I'm working on a tyr that seems to be holding up well, but I still haven't found a practice suit that is ideal.

Swimchickee: Long pulling sets. Big ugh.

Male coaches, male teammates. Same thing. They will notice, but laugh. Just ignore and carry on.

Blackbeard's Peg
July 8th, 2007, 11:24 PM
just get a mesh drag suit and wear it over your suit. wedgie paranoia problem solved.

BabsVa
July 9th, 2007, 08:09 AM
Well I don't wear jammers but I sometimes wear swim shorts - like bicycle shorts, I get them from H20 Wear. They make a top to go with it or I wear a bikini top :-D with them. I got them because during water aerobics classes, doing kicks and jumping jacks, whatever, I did get the dreaded wedgie - grrr. Also, the swim shorts come in handy for those days when the razor bumps are getting unsightly - girls, ya know what I'm talkin' about!

craiglll@yahoo.com
July 9th, 2007, 10:17 AM
I have an endurance brief. I got it a long time ago. the lining is now riped out but I wear it under a mesh training suit. Every guy I've talked to who has one realy likes them. Too bad they do't work for women.

Gerdrick
July 9th, 2007, 12:22 PM
OK, I got this new Speedo suit Core Solid Super Pro which works great as a practice suite for me, everything is in place, the only thing I found I don't like is that the fabric got a bit floppy around the neck area after about a month of swimming. But hey, most of my other suits fell apart totally after about 40 days of swimming....:cry:

I also got Speedo Side Splice (Racing - XD Skin), it really helped my speed, BUT I feel like my boobs are falling out on both sides every time I swim hard, especially freestyle. The butt fits well though! :rofl:

scyfreestyler
July 9th, 2007, 12:31 PM
I've got two Endurance Jammers that I have owned for over a year now. They are both in excellent condition...quite amazing really.

ALM
July 9th, 2007, 12:45 PM
I am wearing a Speedo polyester suit right now and am having the same problems as all the other women. I think the cut of the polyester suits is much more critical than it is with the lycra suits. The polyester fabric is just not as forgiving. Mine felt fine when I tried it on, but when I swim in it it rides up. :frustrated:

I am a swimsuit bargain-hunter. I just picked up a Nike polyester suit (at TJ Maxx, for $12.00!). I haven't worn it in the water yet, but I think it's going to be more comfortable than the Speedo. The fabric is MUCH stretchier than the Speedo fabric. This particular suit doesn't have a lining, which might also make it more comfortable. (I don't know why it isn't lined, unless it's because it's a small size. It's also black.)

I also found three Nike lycra suits at TJ Maxx for $16.00 apiece. I have found that it's worth it to check stores like Marshall's and TJ Maxx. Sometimes you can get lucky.

Anna Lea

Donna
July 9th, 2007, 02:09 PM
I have have better luck with the Tyr polyester suits, speedo in general does not fit me well anymore.

CreamPuff
July 9th, 2007, 02:26 PM
I love Speedo Endurance suits. They are all I wear.
When I first started back, I too got wedgies. But so did the other gals, so I wasn't too worried. Then I dropped a few pounds and wedgies stopped.

I'm trying to see how long one will last. I still have one from 2002 when I started masters. Once the lining went, I cut it out and continued to swim with it anyway. I feel a bit more nude, but oh well. I know for a fact my friends do it too. So what the hey?!

SwimStud
July 9th, 2007, 02:35 PM
I feel a bit more nude, but oh well. I know for a fact my friends do it too. So what the hey?!

barring the walk across the deck..who the hell can notice really...anyone taking a "birdwatching" amount of time underwater will stand out as a perv or drown...

The Fortress
July 9th, 2007, 10:04 PM
I love Speedo Endurance suits. They are all I wear.
When I first started back, I too got wedgies. But so did the other gals, so I wasn't too worried. Then I dropped a few pounds and wedgies stopped.

I'm trying to see how long one will last. I still have one from 2002 when I started masters. Once the lining went, I cut it out and continued to swim with it anyway. I feel a bit more nude, but oh well. I know for a fact my friends do it too. So what the hey?!

Thanks! I'll cut out my lining and carry on then too! :banana:

I also think the suits run somewhat smaller than regular speedos. Maybe that accounts for some of the wedgies?

ALM
July 9th, 2007, 10:42 PM
I also think the suits run somewhat smaller than regular speedos. Maybe that accounts for some of the wedgies?

I think the cut is the same; it's the fabric that makes the difference. Soft, stretchy lycra is much more accomodating than polyester.

I cut the lining out of my first Speedo polyester suit. It lasted several more months after that for a total of two years. I finally stopped wearing it because the straps had stretched so much. The fabric still looked great.

Anna Lea

FlyQueen
July 10th, 2007, 05:47 PM
I have a couple of Endurance suits but I'm really not a fan at all. I also don't have wedgie problems, at least that I notice ...

I LOVE Speedo's Axcel back it is fantastic, only back that feels really comfortable.

Lucy Crabapple
July 11th, 2007, 05:45 PM
Great thread! I've been wearing endurance suits for a few years now with no problem (outside of crow-barring my body into said suits when they're new), and only recently have started having chafing issues on my neck. It's only one side, and I think that has something to do with always breathing on the other side...

Is this just some freak thing, or has anyone else had this problem?

swimchickee
July 11th, 2007, 09:48 PM
I had another polyster suit before and I would always get suit burn! It was also always worse on one side, hm so maybe it does have something to do with breathing. Excellent idea..

blainesapprentice
July 12th, 2007, 08:04 AM
1st off: look at me look at me! I'm back! (dad finally gave in and got the family house some dsl and wireless internet, so I can once again stand to be on forums and online in general)

2nd: this past season my coach bought us the endurance suits as MEET suits. Horrible, I hated the suit, it was cut really weird, and the material felt so thick and the liner was much to loose considering how tight the outer shell was. I almost went out and bought myself a solid black regular speedo instead of having to wear this suit. I'm sure for practicing they'd be annoying but not nearly as annoying as they were for meets.

3rd: Uglies last forever and come in such a wide variety of colors and patterns.

scyfreestyler
July 12th, 2007, 02:47 PM
I can't imagine swimming a meet in my Endurance Jammers. They are too heavy and drag prone. I do notice a HUGE difference between my Endurance and my Aquablade.

Glad you're back btw!

The Fortress
July 12th, 2007, 11:44 PM
Tore the lining out of my endurance sit today and carried on.

Uh, what idiot get endurance suits for meet suits? They are heavy. Great practice suit, but not for meets!

Glad you're back. Are uglies like splishes?

inklaire
July 13th, 2007, 01:37 AM
barring the walk across the deck..who the hell can notice really...anyone taking a "birdwatching" amount of time underwater will stand out as a perv or drown...

One of our more popular pools has a window into the deep end.

I overheard one of my coworkers mentioning that she had watched the swimmers underwater, and was surprised at how terribly the fat jiggled, even on fairly slender people.

But one ought never fear: the Masters club puts the slowest lane nearest the window.

blainesapprentice
July 13th, 2007, 07:48 AM
Uh, what idiot get endurance suits for meet suits? They are heavy. Great practice suit, but not for meets!

:laugh2:you KNOW what kinda Idiot gets endurance suits for meet suits--as we have discussed my coach at great extents haha...

Glad you're back. Are uglies like splishes?
yeah they are...I believe they have their own website but also kiefer magazine sells a few varieties and so does the lifeguard store (which by the way is an awesome competitive swim magazine that most people don't know about.)

nkfrench
July 13th, 2007, 01:09 PM
I overheard one of my coworkers mentioning that she had watched the swimmers underwater, and was surprised at how terribly the fat jiggled, even on fairly slender people.

It's not just fat. Loose skin is even worse, as in people who lose a lot of weight but have stretched out skin. A reason compression is a big marketing factor in technical suits is because large muscles will heave also as they move in a vigorous manner and tense/relax.

About buying endurance suits for meets: our team has bought them targeting the younger kids who will just buy one suit and go to meets occasionally. Many of these are not wealthy families and the expense of new swimwear for 2-3 kids gets out of hand. Between their events they will be running around, playing, and doing other stuff that will snag and tear a lycra suit. The fastest kids will have a performance meet suit that they only wear for their championships meets and they will wear "uglies" and stuff that make our team look like "Team Goodwill" at the regular meets where they aren't tapered. The younger kids are not going to gain enough time to make much difference in the endurance suits, and we like to put more emphasis on getting their times through showing up to practice and learning their skills, as well as showing up to the blocks on time. We've had enough complaints that we'll probably offer BOTH a lycra and an endurance suit as "official team suits" if we can find a good suit rather than just a solid black. It gets hard to stock a team store with a team suit both in jammers and briefs and lycra and endurance and thin-strap and thick-strap and Aquablades and all, plus all the various sizes.

Mighty Minnow
July 16th, 2007, 11:51 AM
I've been wearing speedo endurance suits for a couple of years now.....just love the way they last. I save the lycra suits for meets. I don't have the wedgie problem, but I do get neck chafing (on long fat burning workouts) and I now have callouses under my arms, where the suit always chafes. Have them in 3 colors now.

I tried to buy a grab bag polyester suit once, but the suit just was way too narrom on the bottom part.....so now I just buy the speedo endurance ones.

Slowswim
July 20th, 2007, 01:22 PM
I race in a Speedo Endurance because it holds its shape. Its the square leg design (you ladies might call it "boy shorts"; old guys might call them "trunks") and I wear/wore Speedo Square leg for training. Years ago, I used to always swim in briefs and liked them and moved to the square legs as public decency (I'm over 40) demanded. In an attempt to join the majority of swimmers I bought some Zoot Jammers.

They feel like drag shorts:frustrated: and I don't like the feeling of the leg going down to my knee.

Is it only in my head and that the feeling will go away and there is no real difference or does having more material equal more drag (tech suits excluded)?
:dunno:
Tech suits aren't really an option for me. They're not for training and couldn't stand up to a Triathlon.

ALM
August 2nd, 2007, 10:52 PM
:bump:

For those of you wanting a change of pace from the Dara thread... :rolleyes:

I am happy to report that the "wedgie problem" goes away after about two months. That's how long I've been wearing my latest Speedo polyester suit. I just noticed the other night that the problem seems to have gone away.

Anna Lea
-

Mia Kopela
August 3rd, 2007, 05:00 AM
I love my poly suits. I've got Speedo Endurance ones (the lightest and the stretchiest of the lot), TYR Durafast ones (very thick, I've got full-lined ones) and a Dolfin suit.

The Dolfin one is on par with TYR ones in terms of thickness and heaviness but holds the shape much better. And considering the retail price of Dolfin poly suits is roughly half of the TYR/Speedo ones, it was an excellent buy.

The Speedo suits do tend to stretch in the water but in comparison to TYR/Dolphin I can barely feel them on my skin during swimming. If I had to race in a poly suit, I'd probably choose Dolfin though - purely for the compression effect it provides.

chickadee
August 3rd, 2007, 02:39 PM
I wear the speedo endurance all the time, never had the wedgie problem or the neck chafing, just that they last forever... and ever. Which is great if you are on a tight budget like moi. The clerk who sold me mine said that she cut the lining out of hers as well.
I would never wear it in competition though, it just feels like a natural drag suit.
I just wish there were as many options of colors like the lycra suits...they are so vivid. I think it would help with the 5 am swims :snore: if I could grab a little color. Been thinking of splurging for a wild printed one!:groovy:

2fish&1whale
January 2nd, 2008, 01:33 PM
I just dug this thread up since I bought myself an endurance suit for christmas and I ran into the expected problems, wedgie and chafing. Now the wedgie I can live with, I have actualy found that as long as my suit is placed just so it stays like that for a reasonable amount of swimming. But the chafing is making me wear this suit less often than I would like and I have not seen any remedies posted. It can get so bad that it is bleeding!
Do I just suck it up and let the skin toughen up, or is there a product out there that I could use?
I love the fact that the suit keeps its shape and the material does not seem to absorb the chlorine smell, and I am sure it will last me longer than the lycra suits that have come and gone before it. Any suit that can contain my but and boobs without falling apart within weeks might just be worth the suffering.......
I have also heard from some people that they have gotten rashes from wearing this of suit, but my son has these in a jammer and loves them-as a matter of fact he only wears endurance-for practice and races because they are so tight.

blainesapprentice
January 2nd, 2008, 02:53 PM
i just use vasoline on the areas that are chaffing before practice.

2fish&1whale
January 2nd, 2008, 03:43 PM
i just use vasoline on the areas that are chaffing before practice.
does that affect the polyester in any way-like cause it to break down faster?-than again i guess if it can handle chlorine i guess a bit of vaseline aint going to hurt it......

PArob83
January 4th, 2008, 09:14 AM
Another good middle ground is a suit that is 80% polyester, lasts at least twice as long, not as long as endurance, but still has a feeling almost that of nylon based lycra, though being nylon free it still last longer. And since its not 100% poly it still streches.:):dedhorse:

All in all Id have to say the polyester suits are great for training and meets where you may be there all day or are just having fun.

Cheers
and HAPPY NEW YEARS!

chris_swims
January 4th, 2008, 04:09 PM
i started wear Swim Stuff suits from www.djsports.com (http://www.djsports.com) I think they are 100% polyester and have lasted about 5 months so far!!