Time Line
http://www.usms.org/comp/lcnats07/timeline.pdf

Heat Sheets
http://www.usms.org/comp/lcnats07/heats/

meet info
http://www.usms.org/comp/lcnats07/meetinfo.php

The Fortress
July 9th, 2007, 01:26 PM
Just curious, how many people are usually at LC Nats? I'm assuming less than SCY Nats, since fewer people swim LC?

Blackbeard's Peg
July 9th, 2007, 01:52 PM
Fort,

2004 LC 1083 GA
2005 SCY 1620 FLL
2005 LC 1107 MV
2006 SCY 1271 CS
2007 SCY 1456 FW

Based on the $45 to $80 entry fee increase that was about to hit the books last week, I certainly got the initial impression that they didn't want any more people coming this year. Then the rather quick retraction of that increase led me to believe they are looking low.

I do wish they'd put up at least a preliminary meet roster for Nationals' before the deadline closed. It'd be kinda cool to see who else was going before you signed up.

ALM
July 9th, 2007, 04:58 PM
Just curious, how many people are usually at LC Nats? I'm assuming less than SCY Nats, since fewer people swim LC?

You can view the location and attendance figures for every USMS championship meet (both LC and SC) on page 186 of the USMS Rule Book. View it here:

http://www.usms.org/rules/appf.pdf

The first SC Nationals was held in 1970 in Amarillo, Texas. Forty-six swimmers competed. The first LC Nationals was held in 1972 in Bloomington, Indiana, with 188 swimmers in attendance.

Anna Lea

knelson
July 9th, 2007, 07:19 PM
Keep in mind there better be fewer people at LC Nats or they would take forever. They can only run one course at a time (typically).

scyfreestyler
July 9th, 2007, 07:25 PM
At the Pacific LC Champs this weekend they were preparing to run two to a lane for the 800 Freestyle event. Not sure if they got the required number of timers but the intention was there. I wonder if that is something that is permitted at a nationals swimming event?

Blackbeard's Peg
July 9th, 2007, 10:36 PM
At the Pacific LC Champs this weekend they were preparing to run two to a lane for the 800 Freestyle event. Not sure if they got the required number of timers but the intention was there. I wonder if that is something that is permitted at a nationals swimming event?
I believe that is mentioned somewhere in the rulebook as ok.
However, for a championship meet, that is a pretty :censor: way to swim those races. If there are some pool time limitations, they should leave that event out of the program, or limit it to the first x # of people signed up.
We're hosting zones in August, and while I'd love to get the full program in, it just ain't happening in our timeframe.

knelson
July 10th, 2007, 01:18 AM
I remember swimming two to a lane a couple times back in age group meets and it really isn't that bad. Assuming your lane partner stays to his/her side of the lane, that is.

smontanaro
July 10th, 2007, 07:47 AM
At the Pacific LC Champs this weekend they were preparing to run two to a lane for the 800 Freestyle event.

Rock/paper/scissors to see who gets the starting block? :dunno:

Skip Montanaro

Blackbeard's Peg
July 10th, 2007, 08:59 AM
I remember swimming two to a lane a couple times back in age group meets and it really isn't that bad. Assuming your lane partner stays to his/her side of the lane, that is.
Having broken both wrists in the last few years, a handslap of either hand could be a racekiller for me. I still experience some pretty sharp pain in the schaphoid area (thats what broke) on occasion.
Its not like we're all not used to swimming this way in practice. But for a race, I still think its a bum deal.

knelson
July 10th, 2007, 11:20 AM
Rock/paper/scissors to see who gets the starting block? :dunno:

Usually you'd start the two swimmers on opposite ends of the pool. That way you won't need to swim side-by-side unless you gain 50 meters on your lanemate.

jim clemmons
July 10th, 2007, 02:23 PM
We've run 2/lane in the past a few times for the 400, 800 and 1500 freestyles. First heat starts and when they get down around the 35-45 meter mark of their first lap, second heat goes off. This year the number of entries were of manageable size so all but one heat swam 1/lane.

It's actually fairly easy and there have only been a couple of minor challenges with it. I've yet to see a swimmer in the second heat false start.

A couple of things you can't do is get "official" split times from the pads as they are inoperative. I also seem to recall FINA won't allow any world records to be recognized competing in this format.

nkfrench
July 10th, 2007, 05:30 PM
I swam in a 2-per-lane heat of the 1500m at USMS nationals one year. There was only one head-on collision in the meet, and it was where one person in the lane circle swam, and the offender was the other person in my lane.

They removed her from the water, but it was really discouraging to me to take a hard head-on smack and stop still in the water during the first 100m of the race... my time was actually OK, but I swam the last 1400m thinking my race was blown.

Whoever was running the timing system was doing a tremendous job with the touch pads, activating/inactivating them each time a swimmer was coming in for a turn so that only the "right" swimmer would get the touch/split credited. I guess the pads were hooked up to 2 Colorado systems and 2 operators. I had never seen that done and was amazed they could keep it up.

FlyQueen
July 10th, 2007, 05:38 PM
All the more reason to only swim events that are a 100 or less

scyfreestyler
July 10th, 2007, 05:56 PM
All the more reason to only swim events that are a 100 or less

LOL! I love it. Up until this past weekend I would have agreed with you but the 200 Free is now calling my name as well.

lefty
July 11th, 2007, 10:35 AM
LOL! I love it. Up until this past weekend I would have agreed with you but the 200 Free is now calling my name as well.

I have thought that the 200 free was calling me every once in a while but it always ends up being the wrong number.

ande
July 24th, 2007, 05:09 PM
psyche sheet is up
http://www.usms.org/comp/lcnats07/heats/

scyfreestyler
July 24th, 2007, 05:18 PM
Wow! I would not have been last in the 200 Free or the 50 Free had I signed up.

ande
August 5th, 2007, 12:38 PM
the meet starts in 5 days
who's gonna be there?
what are you swimming?

angelfish
August 5th, 2007, 06:29 PM
Does anyone know if live results will be available via the usms website?

Thanks.

swim4me
August 5th, 2007, 07:42 PM
This will be my first Nationals. I have been swimming since October after a 25 year break. I am swimming:

50 Free
100 Free
50 Breast
100 Breast
50 Fly

In summer league and high school I could only do a 25 fly to get through the IM. Once I took a breath, I would go vertical and it was over. My coach has worked with me this year and I can breath correctly now. I need to work on my kick and speed. This will be my third 50 fly race since November (and in my whole life) and my second LCM 50 fly. Just hoping to get a personal best. I drive up to The Woodlands on Thursday. Really looking forward to it.

Donna
August 5th, 2007, 08:03 PM
Ande,

I'll be there and I am looking forward to meeting you. Your tips have been very helpful in my training.

I'll be doing the 200 Fly, 400 Free, 50 Free, 400 IM and 1500 Free this time. With hopes that my sprinting will get better next year and then I can add some shorter events to my choices.

Donna

indyswimbag
August 5th, 2007, 08:32 PM
Ande

I will be there...was hoping to do much better as far as the training went BUT alas real life set in and among the injury/ family issues and life in general I didn't get nearly the training that I had hoped BUT

I am taking this as a welcome back to LCM as I have not done a meet since 2005....

I am swimming the 50 breast/ 100breast/ 200breast/ 1500 free and just for "sh**S and giggles the 200 and 400 IM's would love to meet you and just watch everyone swim because you all sound SOO FAST!! Would also just like to put a few names with avatars

Looking forward to seeing my Indyswimfit friends because here in Texas swimming by myself can be a little :cry:

SOO Heres to a great meet :wine:

gull
August 5th, 2007, 08:39 PM
I will be swimming the 400 and 100 free on Friday. I will be wearing a Nitro Swimming tee shirt (and a Nitro swim cap). See you there.

imspoiled
August 6th, 2007, 09:50 AM
I'll be there, swimming 50 free, back, breast, and fly, 100 back and 1500 free.

What's the weather like in Houston these days??

lefty
August 6th, 2007, 10:15 AM
Weather in Houston:
High in the upper 90's, heat index over 110, 50% chance of an afternoon thunderstorm.

The Fortress
August 6th, 2007, 10:31 AM
Will they be able to keep the pool water a decent temperature? Or will the water be hot?

Good luck everyone!

Dana, it seems odd to swim the 50 free and the 1500. LOL. What about the stuff inbetween? Can't decide whether you're a sprinter or distance geek? Or just want to try something different? Of course, I know you're swimming that 800 free at zones too ...

imspoiled
August 6th, 2007, 11:07 AM
Will they be able to keep the pool water a decent temperature? Or will the water be hot?

Good luck everyone!

Dana, it seems odd to swim the 50 free and the 1500. LOL. What about the stuff inbetween? Can't decide whether you're a sprinter or distance geek? Or just want to try something different? Of course, I know you're swimming that 800 free at zones too ...

I don't think of myself as a sprinter, but those are the events I qualify in:dunno:. I feel much better swimming longer distances, that still doesn't make them fast. The 1500 is mainly for fun and team bragging rights. Of my six events, I'm competing against a team mate in three of them. Swimming the "in between" stuff at zones.

SwimStud
August 6th, 2007, 11:10 AM
... I'm competing against a team mate in three of them. Swimming the "in between" stuff at zones.

and getting whomped by me at same...

Good luck to all...check out all the best spots for the rest of us to visit next May at SCY!!

ande
August 6th, 2007, 11:46 AM
people were getting DQed at worlds for wearing watches
does the same rule apply at NATS

I don't wear one but I thought watch wearers might want to know

a

Blackbeard's Peg
August 6th, 2007, 11:50 AM
people were getting DQed at worlds for wearing watches
does the same rule apply at NATS

I don't wear one but I thought watch wearers might want to know

a

I thought they somewhat recinded that rule sometime last year (they being one of the US governing bodies). From what I recall, the original language was vague and folks thought it was rediculous.

matysekj
August 6th, 2007, 12:10 PM
I'll be there and swimmng: http://www.usms.org/comp/lcnats07/heats/swimmerdetails.php?s=2897 (note that anyone can find the address of their events to post here by going to http://www.usms.org/comp/lcnats07/heats/lookup.php and typing in their name). I'll be the one cowering in the shade or in a (hopefully) air conditioned room for the gold medal sponsors, trying not to melt in the heat.

Not expecting too much out of this meet. Shortly before SC Nationals I apparently did something to get an avulsion fracture in my foot. Breaststroke hurts like h3ll and I was barely able to warm up breast at SC, but the adrenaline took over during the events. I've been avoiding breast kick a lot this summer, but it is still hurting. After nationals I plan to follow the docs orders of "if it hurts, don't do that". So with 4 of my 6 events involving breast, I'm not expecting great results this summer.

jim clemmons
August 6th, 2007, 12:49 PM
I thought they somewhat recinded that rule sometime last year (they being one of the US governing bodies). From what I recall, the original language was vague and folks thought it was rediculous.

I believe that as well; in fact, I watched Michael Moore, Pacific Masters Chairperson-man, swim his 800 free at championships last month while wearing his watch.

Donna
August 6th, 2007, 01:05 PM
Dana, I know what you mean about qualifying in the 50 and 1500 Free but not in the distances in between. I am in the same boat but hope to add the 100 next year.

Donna

Jeff Commings
August 6th, 2007, 01:57 PM
But why would you want to wear a watch anyway? In this age of trying to find the best fabric possible to give swimmers any kind of edge they can, wearing a watch with a face big enough to read the numbers during a distance race for pacing purposes is ridiculous. The weight alone would slow you down.

Gerdrick
August 6th, 2007, 02:01 PM
I will be there, swimming blazingly slow my 50 breast and 50 free... :rofl::rofl::rofl:

http://www.usms.org/comp/lcnats07/heats/swimmerdetails.php?s=2817

ALM
August 6th, 2007, 02:31 PM

From the USMS Rule Book (http://www.usms.org/rules/):

Article 107.6, WATER TEMPERATURE
Water temperature between 78 and 80 degrees Fahrenheit shall be maintained for competition.

My understanding is that they have water chillers at the pool in The Woodlands to comply with this rule.

Anna Lea

ande
August 6th, 2007, 02:35 PM
I'm swimming the following events

#7 - 100 Freestyle 56.49
#9 - 50 Backstroke 29.99
#13 - 200 Backstroke 2:19.99
#19 - 200 Individual Medley 2:19.99
#27 - 50 Butterfly 26.77
#31 - 100 Backstroke 1:02.99

Peter Cruise
August 6th, 2007, 03:17 PM
Re: whether Woodlands water is chilled. Oh yes. The first time I swam there I dove into the 100m breast without testing the main pool first (warmed up in the tepid indoor pool). Turned out the chilling was working very well (below the minimum) and I was choking on the family jewels as I split the first 50 in my best 50 time. Trouble was there was 50 left at that point... The next Nats there they nailed the temp and everyone was happy.

Allen Stark
August 6th, 2007, 05:04 PM
I'll be there.Not surprisingly I'll swim the 3 breaststrokes.I'm entered in the 200 fly,but doubt I can swim it as my shoulder,while better,is twitchy after I swim fly(and I think i am having an attack of sanity.)

ande
August 7th, 2007, 12:19 AM
. .

knelson
August 10th, 2007, 10:07 AM
An they're off! I see realtime results are working this morning. I also checked the weather forecast and it's supposed to be close to 100 every day.

Jeff Commings
August 10th, 2007, 11:51 AM
For the record, I do own the world record in the 50 breast, even if the results from the event suggest otherwise.

Not that I'm vain or anything.

Anyway, I want to congratulate all the men in the 400 free. Those are outstanding times. I would have loved to see that final heat.

SwimStud
August 10th, 2007, 11:52 AM
For the record, I do own the world record in the 50 breast, even if the results from the event suggest otherwise.

Anyway, I want to congratulate all the men in the 400 free. Those are outstanding times. I would have loved to see that final heat.

So, when are you coming out east to hold a clinic?? :notworthy:
pleeeeeeeeeeeez

I see Our Fearless Leader got 3rd in his grouping too!

knelson
August 10th, 2007, 12:17 PM

I noticed this comparing the world and nationals records in quite a few instances. I wonder why?...

Dan Stephenson had a really fast 400 free setting a new 50-54 WR with a 4:16.61. Smokin'!

Jeff Commings
August 10th, 2007, 01:13 PM
I noticed this comparing the world and nationals records in quite a few instances. I wonder why?...

So far, a lot of world records set at last year's worlds aren't being recognized as such. I'm curious as well.

Paul Smith
August 10th, 2007, 01:42 PM

Oh course you are....you swam for Texas! :groovy:

knelson
August 10th, 2007, 01:46 PM
Not a single woman under 40 swam the 200 fly. Come on gals, get with it! :fish2:

We'll get our first look at Ande Razz here in a few minutes...

The Fortress
August 10th, 2007, 01:53 PM
Not a single woman under 40 swam the 200 fly. Come on gals, get with it! :fish2:

Smart girls!

Hey, my old swim buddy won the Men's 35-39 400 free! I see our Fearless Webmaster grabbed 3rd in the 50 BR and Allen Stark was 2nd. Raz is doing the 100 free first?

SwimStud
August 10th, 2007, 01:57 PM
Smart girls!

Hey, my old swim buddy won the Men's 35-39 400 free! I see our Fearless Webmaster grabbed 3rd in the 50 BR and Allen Stark was 2nd. Raz is doing the 100 free first?

everyone "AN-DE AN-DE! AN-DE!"

oh and Imspoiled got 5th in the women's 50!! WTG!!

ALM
August 10th, 2007, 02:07 PM

Look again. The results are just out of order...

knelson
August 10th, 2007, 02:24 PM
Look again. The results are just out of order...

Oops, you're right! I thought that seemed a little odd.

ALM
August 10th, 2007, 02:34 PM
An they're off! I see realtime results are working this morning. I also checked the weather forecast and it's supposed to be close to 100 every day.

At least they have chilled pool water. Our forecast here is the same (100 every day through the 15th) but our pool is not cooled. The water temp was 90 degrees on Wednesday night. :frustrated: I didn't bother to go last night.

Anna Lea

SwimStud
August 10th, 2007, 03:16 PM
At least they have chilled pool water. Our forecast here is the same (100 every day through the 15th) but our pool is not cooled. The water temp was 90 degrees on Wednesday night. :frustrated: I didn't bother to go last night.

Anna Lea

It was almost time to take the soap into the pool at my Y the other day...it was a bathtub...good for stamina though...provided you don't overdo it...

quicksilver
August 10th, 2007, 03:59 PM
These were good splits for Mr. Ande...but could have been tighter.

1 Davis, Ross C 41 WMST 54.60 54.68 20
25.91 54.68 (28.77)
2 Benucci, Lorenz 40 AWJ 56.50 54.87 17
26.53 54.87 (28.34)
3 Clark, Henry L 42 ARIZ 54.50 55.92 16
27.19 55.92 (28.73)
4 Gawronski, Toma 41 WMST 57.12 56.49 15
27.77 56.49 (28.72)
5 Rasmussen, Ande 44 TXLA 56.49 56.85 14
26.91 56.85 (29.94)

knelson
August 10th, 2007, 04:07 PM
These were good splits for Mr. Ande...but could have been tighter.

Yes, I think he'll be a little disappointed with that. He was hoping to go a 55 mid. He took it out like he had to. It just looks like he couldn't bring it home.

The realtime results haven't been updating since heat one of the men's 50 back. I wonder if the meet's delayed or if the results just aren't keeping up right now?

quicksilver
August 10th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Your right. Based on going 25's for the 50 in workout...a high 26 should have left him feeling OK for the home stretch.
That warm pool water must zap everyone's energy.

swim4me
August 10th, 2007, 04:35 PM

Anna Lea

The racing pool is chilled, but the cool down pool (diving well) feels like a sauna - HOT! HOT! HOT!. They are forecasting a 108 heat index. :doh:

jonblank
August 10th, 2007, 04:45 PM
Great effort by Doug Malcolm in the mens' 50-54 50 LCM Breaststroke: 31.88 to break Bob Strand's WR. He swam the second fastest time of the whole event. Congrats also to David Guthrie in the mens' 45-49 division, and to North Carolina's own Bob Schmitz, winning his first ever USMS individual championship in the mens' 55-59 division.

I'm there in spirit, if not in person. Way to go, guys!

Jason Marsteller
August 10th, 2007, 04:52 PM
Meet directors must have been reading the boards! All of the sudden, live results don't have records anymore!

jonblank
August 10th, 2007, 04:54 PM
Hillsborough NC's Jonathan Klein won his first-ever USMS individual championship, swimming 31.09! I know how hard he's worked, and I'm pleased - make that ecstatic- for him and training mate Bob Schmitz. :banana::banana:

Sue Walsh swam a fantastic 31.85 to take the womens' 45-49 50 LCM Backstroke! :applaud:

The guys are going to be insufferable at the Colonies Zone meet later this month...

aquageek
August 10th, 2007, 05:46 PM
Hillsborough NC's Jonathan Klein won his first-ever USMS individual championship, swimming 31.09! I know how hard he's worked, and I'm pleased - make that ecstatic- for him and training mate Bob Schmitz.

Further proof that NC is the swimming capitol of the planet. Congrats to Jon.

imspoiled
August 10th, 2007, 06:27 PM
Hello from TX!

The temps are crazy down here. The pool water may be chilled, but it doesn't feel like it by the end of the day. Felt like swimming in the overheated workout pool at home by the time the relay went off.

Spending most of the time inside trying to stay cool. Lots of fast swims today. Several world new world records. Very exciting!

Poked a hole in my brand spanking new FS Pro while trying to wedge myself in it. Still works though. Two PB swims!:groovy:

Hoping the rest of the meet goes as well, and that the FS holds up until Monday.

Dana

The Fortress
August 10th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Sue Walsh swam a fantastic 31.85 to take the womens' 45-49 50 LCM Backstroke! :applaud:

What a fabulous time! Fastest among all the women there.

It looks like Ande was only a few hundredths off his goal time in the 50 back, so he should be pretty happy. Finished 2nd too. I'll be curious to see how he likes his FS Pro.

Dana:

Sorry about the FS Pro. Could be a suit defect? Did you bring your other one as a back up? Congrats on the PBs!

Fritz
August 10th, 2007, 06:49 PM
Hillsborough NC's Jonathan Klein won his first-ever USMS individual championship, swimming 31.09! I know how hard he's worked, and I'm pleased - make that ecstatic- for him and training mate Bob Schmitz. :banana::banana:

The guys are going to be insufferable at the Colonies Zone meet later this month...

Don't forget about the best backstroker in the state. Clark Mitchell won the 75-79 50 back.

scyfreestyler
August 10th, 2007, 06:59 PM
Hello from TX!

The temps are crazy down here. The pool water may be chilled, but it doesn't feel like it by the end of the day. Felt like swimming in the overheated workout pool at home by the time the relay went off.

Spending most of the time inside trying to stay cool. Lots of fast swims today. Several world new world records. Very exciting!

Poked a hole in my brand spanking new FS Pro while trying to wedge myself in it. Still works though. Two PB swims!:groovy:

Hoping the rest of the meet goes as well, and that the FS holds up until Monday.

Dana

COngrats on the PB's!! Those are always worthy of a little cheer! :party2:

As for the FS PRO, that is the second one I have heard of getting a hole in it. Hmm?

The Fortress
August 10th, 2007, 07:10 PM
COngrats on the PB's!! Those are always worthy of a little cheer! :party2:

As for the FS PRO, that is the second one I have heard of getting a hole in it. Hmm?

That's what I was thinking ... They tell you to buy them uber-small, they say they're more durable than the FS IIs ... If they're not skin tight, they bubble ... But if you buy them that way, holes. Doesn't seem ideal.

scyfreestyler
August 10th, 2007, 07:14 PM
That's what I was thinking ... They tell you to buy them uber-small, they say they're more durable than the FS IIs ... If they're not skin tight, they bubble ... But if you buy them that way, holes. Doesn't seem ideal.

:agree: Seems odd.

Well, in a cost saving effort I ordered a black FSII Jammer today, for 120.00 delivered to my door. The FS PRO was 160.00 and I just could not justify spending the extra money on a suit that I will wear 5 times a year. If the PRO really is more durable than the FSII I'll be replacing my suit after the first event at my next meet!

EDIT: I suppose I could have taken a page out of Pierre's playbook and picked up some g-string suits.

ALM
August 10th, 2007, 07:29 PM
They tell you to buy them uber-small... But if you buy them that way, holes. Doesn't seem ideal.

Sounds like planned obsolescence to me. :)

Anna Lea

knelson
August 10th, 2007, 07:58 PM

Great swim. I'm guessing this is the same Sue Walsh who had the American Record in the 100 backstroke back in the '80s.

aquageek
August 10th, 2007, 09:02 PM
Don't forget about the best backstroker in the state. Clark Mitchell won the 75-79 50 back.

I think there's another who could, at least, share that title.

aquageek
August 10th, 2007, 09:03 PM
EDIT: I suppose I could have taken a page out of Pierre's playbook and picked up some g-string suits.

Don't mock Pierre, he's a lover, not a fighter. Viva la thong!

matysekj
August 11th, 2007, 10:31 AM
I got to meet Gull and Ande each briefly yesterday after their 100 free swims. Hopefully I'll catch up with Ande a little more this weekend, but it looks like Gull was only swimming yesterday.

I caught some pictures of each of them prior to their swims:

(Gull, Ande, Ande's start)

Swimmer Bill
August 11th, 2007, 10:38 AM
Congrats, Dr, Klein!

Great swim. I'm guessing this is the same Sue Walsh who had the American Record in the 100 backstroke back in the '80s.

Yes, I believe so. I read a nice article about her today:

http://www.theacc.com/sports/c-swim/spec-rel/021507aae.html

I saw her 50 back yesterday. It was brilliant.

geochuck
August 11th, 2007, 11:26 AM
Oh how I wish I were there. Seems like some great swimming going on. I move into the new age group next year (75 in may), that came soonner then I thought. May be it's time to set a goal. My last real race was in 1973 a marathon race and quit racing, then just taught swimming for the next 25 years. On April 8th, 1998 I went into serious training and raced in May 1998. Since then it has been teaching and coaching swimming and no racing.

I can still put together a fair to middlin 50 and 100 crawl and fly. I better start and get ready so I can meet you all in 2008.

Jason Marsteller
August 11th, 2007, 01:42 PM
Anyone know anyone there in meet management? The men's 200 back results haven't been posted. I want to make sure we get any notable swims from there covered on our site.

Thanks!

ALM
August 11th, 2007, 02:45 PM
I got to meet Gull and Ande each briefly yesterday after their 100 free swims... I caught some pictures of each of them prior to their swims...

Maybe it's just me, but does anyone else notice a resemblance between Gull's shoulders and those of Ms. Torres? :)

Anna Lea

gull
August 11th, 2007, 03:53 PM
I got to meet Gull and Ande each briefly yesterday after their 100 free swims. Hopefully I'll catch up with Ande a little more this weekend, but it looks like Gull was only swimming yesterday.

Thanks for the photo, Jim! Sorry we couldn't chat more--maybe next year in Austin. I only entered events on Friday, but my dad is still there collecting medals (he calls them awards for breathing) in the 85-89 age group.

BTW, I did see Fast Ion swim his 400 a couple of heats before me. He looked very strong throughout, good technique and solid turns. His time, 5:24.47, was a 10 second improvement. I was impressed. We spoke briefly after our heat of the 100 free--nice guy, very passionate about swimming. Note to Geek--I suspect there is a price on your head in San Diego.

I'm looking forward to aging up next year. Although I dropped 14 seconds in the 400 (my seed time was a conversion from scm) I was still out of medal contention. There was some very fast swimming despite the conditions (water temp of 82 during warmup, and the pool deck was like a furnace by midday).

knelson
August 11th, 2007, 06:33 PM
Yes, I believe so. I read a nice article about her today:

http://www.theacc.com/sports/c-swim/spec-rel/021507aae.html

I saw her 50 back yesterday. It was brilliant.

I looked up the 1984 OT results on the USA Swimming site and it was actually the 100 back where she was out-touched (1:02.65 to 1:02.77). She finished fourth in the 200. The 200 back was the event where Good Smith's wife (Tori Trees) pulled out a second place, thus securing a spot on the Olympic team, from lane 8.

In any event it would appear that Sue Walsh is back in excellent form. I noticed she has a blazing 50 free today (27.44).

The Fortress
August 11th, 2007, 07:18 PM
I looked up the 1984 OT results on the USA Swimming site and it was actually the 100 back where she was out-touched (1:02.65 to 1:02.77). She finished fourth in the 200. The 200 back was the event where Good Smith's wife (Tori Trees) pulled out a second place, thus securing a spot on the Olympic team, from lane 8.

In any event it would appear that Sue Walsh is back in excellent form. I noticed she has a blazing 50 free today (27.44).

She appears to have set a WR in the 200 back today too! The 45-49 year olds are really exceptionally fast! :cheerleader:

Allen Stark won the 100 BR!! And Jim M. got 2nd! :woot:

aquageek
August 11th, 2007, 09:19 PM
Note to Geek--I suspect there is a price on your head in San Diego.

Ooooh, you mentioned the unmentionable name, that breaks the USMS code of silence. You are banished to late bloomin' man jail.

BTW - where'd you get those guns? You been hitting the weights it seems, maybe even the juice. After all, you can self prescribe.

gull
August 11th, 2007, 09:41 PM
BTW - where'd you get those guns? You been hitting the weights it seems, maybe even the juice. After all, you can self prescribe.

Six weeks of long course training. Could also be the camera angle. Or maybe it was something my trainer gave me ("I just said, whatever, man").

pakman044
August 11th, 2007, 09:49 PM
One thing I noticed on the website is that maybe the scores aren't correct. On the results pages (http://www.usms.org/comp/lcnats07/results/), the scores are based on the standard 16 lane scoring system (20-17-16-15-14-13-12-11-9-7-6-5-4-3-2-1, double for relays), but the meet information (http://www.usms.org/comp/lcnats07/meetinfo.php) says it should be 11-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 (double for relays).

I'd hate for the wrong final score to be announced and then team placings get shifted around (it happened to me once in high school, and I wasn't a happy camper).

Patrick King

ALM
August 12th, 2007, 12:05 AM
One thing I noticed on the website is that maybe the scores aren't correct. On the results pages (http://www.usms.org/comp/lcnats07/results/), the scores are based on the standard 16 lane scoring system (20-17-16-15-14-13-12-11-9-7-6-5-4-3-2-1, double for relays), but the meet information (http://www.usms.org/comp/lcnats07/meetinfo.php) says it should be 11-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 (double for relays).

My informant tells me that he'll look into this tomorrow morning. Also, he says the world records should now be correct in the meet results.

Anna Lea

matysekj
August 12th, 2007, 09:21 AM

I'd hate for the wrong final score to be announced and then team placings get shifted around (it happened to me once in high school, and I wasn't a happy camper).

Thanks for pointing that out to us, Patrick. You are correct, the meet manager database had not been set up with the correct scoring. The team scores at http://www.usms.org/comp/lcnats07/results/teamscores.php have now been corrected, and the individual results posted tonight will reflect the correct points per swim.

Jeff Commings
August 12th, 2007, 12:23 PM
Anyone here live in the Woodlands? I have a favor to ask you via private message.

Thanks.

swim4me
August 12th, 2007, 07:45 PM
Mark Gill did an awsome job as announcer. Keeping it exciting and humorous thoughout the weekend. Great meet everyone!!!!!!:fish2:

ande
August 12th, 2007, 10:04 PM
he was funny

Mark Gill did an awsome job as announcer. Keeping it exciting and humorous thoughout the weekend. Great meet everyone!!!!!!:fish2:

ande
August 12th, 2007, 10:18 PM
great to meet you
thanks for the photo

ande

I caught some pictures of each of them prior to their swims:

(Gull, Ande, Ande's start)
http://www.usms.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=641&d=1186842613

jonblank
August 13th, 2007, 07:53 AM
It's great to see Sue Walsh swimming so well! A superb LC Nationals for her, winning all 6 individual events (50/100 x Fr/Ba, 50 Fl, 200Ba) in WR times! Way to go, Tarheel!

The Fortress
August 13th, 2007, 08:47 AM
It's great to see Sue Walsh swimming so well! A superb LC Nationals for her, winning all 6 individual events (50/100 x Fr/Ba/Fly) in WR times! Way to go, Tarheel!

She really swam well! It was the 200 back, not the 100 fly, that she got the WR in though. Quite a show. She's swimming even faster than last year. :applaud: Karlyn P-N has some real competition in the recordbook area now.

jonblank
August 13th, 2007, 12:45 PM
She really swam well! It was the 200 back, not the 100 fly, that she got the WR in though.

Yeah, I knew that. I was just testing you. :laugh2:

Allen Stark
August 13th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Wow,what a meet.:groovy: It was very well organized and the people were really nice:kiss1:. It was also unbelievably hot:whiteflag:.The pool would be OK in the early morning but by relays it wasn't:whiteflag::whiteflag:.I can't believe my 100 BR:bouncing:.I really didn't expect to go that fast.I'm pretty proud of my 200BR also.Great meet,but next time we have a meet in the South how about an indoor pool.

Jeff Commings
August 13th, 2007, 05:11 PM
She really swam well! It was the 200 back, not the 100 fly, that she got the WR in though. Quite a show. She's swimming even faster than last year. :applaud: Karlyn P-N has some real competition in the recordbook area now.

I hope Ms. Walsh knows that the times she swum will not actually be world records, with the exception of the 50 back, and maybe the 50 free. Karlyn did swim faster than her in meets earlier this year. I personally watched Karlyn go a little faster in the 50 fly here in Tucson.

Go here (http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/lane9/news/15413.asp) to see results from her swims in Mision Viejo. She also swim in Tucson and a meet in Mexico earlier, and I don't know exactly how she did in Mexico.

But the good thing is she'll still get WR certificates from FINA, because she did swim faster than the published world record (Karlyn's records won't be official until the end of the month, when the times are turned into FINA).

I do wish FINA would update their masters world records as fast as they update their "real" world records. A week after worlds in Melbourne, all the new world records were on the site.

Does anyone know why we only get the records updated twice a year? I know records fall quite often in masters, but it can't be that hard to update it even once a month? This way, heat sheets can be as accurate as possible.

pakman044
August 14th, 2007, 01:35 PM
I do wish FINA would update their masters world records as fast as they update their "real" world records. A week after worlds in Melbourne, all the new world records were on the site.

Does anyone know why we only get the records updated twice a year? I know records fall quite often in masters, but it can't be that hard to update it even once a month? This way, heat sheets can be as accurate as possible.

I don't know why they're so slow, but the regular FINA records get updated about as slowly (e.g., Kate Ziegler's 1500 record still hasn't been updated, and it was set June 17; Therese Alshammar's 50 Fly was set June 13). Records for World Championships are automatically approved, so the Melbourne records could be posted right away (see FINA SW 12.14 (http://www.fina.org/rules/english/swimming.php)).

Patrick King