PDA

View Full Version : OK, no OW lakes swims in Brazil for me...

SwimStud
July 10th, 2007, 09:59 AM
http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30200-1274443,00.html

Willow
July 10th, 2007, 11:31 AM
A candiru encounter would be worse!

http://www.damninteresting.com/?p=797

This is yet another reason why I am afraid of the vasty deep!

Willow

fanstone
July 10th, 2007, 12:46 PM
The city referred to (Palmas) is about 500 miles north of where I am. The lake is quite beautiful, with green waters, as the river that forms it is clear, not muddy. I've been there, but not in the water, but over a bridge. Way back in time I did some swimming in water that had Piranhas. A guy was fishing Piranhas to be used as bait about 30 feet down from where I was. They aren't supposed to attack, unless you had a gross bleeding wound. But then, alligators in Florida aren't supposed to attack either but...The Piranha are very specific to certain river systems in the north of Brazil. You can swim open water in the Brasilia lake, where I swim. You would have a hard time catching any fish there. Anyone here old enough that had some misgivings about going into the ocean after watching the original "Jaws"? I did, and where I was there no sharks ever...billy fanstone

swimshark
July 10th, 2007, 02:43 PM
William, where in Brasil are you? My dad grew up in Rio. I was curious how far Rio is from the lake mentioned in the story. Couldn't get it on a google map.

Alison

fanstone
July 10th, 2007, 03:39 PM
Look for Palmas, Tocantins or Palmas, Brazil in the google. I am in the state of Goiás, south of the state of Tocantins. I am about 100 miles southeast of Brasilia, D.F. I would guess Palmas to be about two hours flight from Rio, about 1,000 miles. Why did your father grow up in Rio? Feel free to e-mail me. billy fanstone

swimshark
July 11th, 2007, 03:13 PM
Billy, thanks. I have an idea of where the lake is now.

My dad lived in Rio from 1940-something to 1955. His dad was sent there to start up the GE plant. My dad came back to the US at 15 and finished his HS here but went to an American school in Brazil prior to that. He and my mom were just there last year for a 50 year reunion.

Alison