PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Title IX women college swimmers

Allen Stark
July 14th, 2007, 03:38 PM
My wife swam at Rice in 1970-71. The women had to form their own team and ask the coach for lane time and schedule their own meets. When they qualified a relay for DGWS(the agency evidently running womens collegiate sports at the time) Nationals the school did pay for them to go. Since there was a Nationals and they did find a (very) few other meets there must have been some women's programs. Any forumites have experience with Pre-Title IX womens college swimming.

nkfrench
July 14th, 2007, 04:11 PM
I swam 1973-1975 at Iowa State as a walk-on. They just started offering a few partial scholarships and the times got faster in my 2nd year. I no longer could contribute (scored no points all year) and was just taking up lanespace/budget in the small women's gym pool.

When the men's team got new warmups, our women's team got their old ones hand-me-down. We did have budget to ride in a 15-passenger van to meets, stayed 4/room in cheap motels, etc. We trained in a smaller older facility with no weight room.

In the past few years the ISU men's program got axed due to Title IX. I feel that if budget was truly the reason, they could have worked something out. Probably would have had to budget building a new pool, though. Most of the colleges with that kind of pool setup (6x25y) would want to have a stretch 50m pool to replace it.

Frank Thompson
July 15th, 2007, 11:57 AM
My wife swam at Rice in 1970-71. The women had to form their own team and ask the coach for lane time and schedule their own meets. When they qualified a relay for DGWS(the agency evidently running womens collegiate sports at the time) Nationals the school did pay for them to go. Since there was a Nationals and they did find a (very) few other meets there must have been some women's programs. Any forumites have experience with Pre-Title IX womens college swimming.

Alan:

There was an organization called the Association for Intercollegiate Athletics for Women known as the AIWA. They had College Swimming Championships starting in 1970 and I remember Arizona State being the Women's champions for most of the 1970's. The NCAA for Women started in 1982 and for that one year alone both the NCAA and the AIWA had College Championships. From then on in Women's College Swimming it was just the NCAA. The NCAA had greater funds, more recognition, and better recruitment opportunities than the AIWA had. During the 1970's and early 1980's Title IX worked on opportunites to even the playing field and the NCAA first official year was 1982. Last year was the 25th year of existence of NCAA Women sports.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AIAW

Rob Copeland
July 15th, 2007, 03:49 PM
I swam 1973-1975 at Iowa State as a walk-on.Small world… I swam 1974-1978 at Iowa State as a walk-on.

I never understood why the women’s swim team wasn’t allowed to use the Beyer Hall pool.

TRYM_Swimmer
July 15th, 2007, 08:01 PM
My wife was among a small group who founded the Ohio State women's swimming and synchro team in the early sixties. The entire women's budget for a year (all sports) was $1,00 plus facility use, if you could call a 20 yard, 4 lane, pool in a remote gym a facility. We were at a party a number of years ago with the men's coach from those years and he swore there was no women's team then. Of course, my wife sternly educated him on the spot.

A few years ago, OSU, along with a number of other major schools, Michigan and Stanford come to mind, invited the pioneers back to special ceremonies, where they finally got the varsity letters that were long overdue.

cjquill
July 16th, 2007, 06:54 PM
I competed for the University of Rochester 1968-1972. I attended the first three DGWS nationals which were held in 1970 at Illinois State University, in 1971 at Arizona State University and 1972 in Cincinnati. The meets had qualifiying times and utilized a prelims in the morning, finals in the evening format. There were 1M and 3M diving competitions as well.

The U of R women's athletic department was extremely supportive and funded all of our trips. The men's and women's programs were totally separate. I do remember from time to time our coach would consult the coach of the men's team, Bill Boomer, and return with his advice. My coaches were Berthaida Fairbanks my first two years and Linda Wolfe my second two years. The men's team had an older pool which was built with six narrow lanes and we had a newer pool with the same dimensions. The lanes as constructed could not accomodate butterfly so they gave up trying to swim six and made them into 4 lanes. They eventually built a new facility which I heard was very nice.

In addition to the nationals, our team always attended the New York College Women's championships. I can remember competing against Brockport State, Potsdam State, William Smith, Plattsburg State, SUNY Albany, Cornell, Cortland State, Binghamton, Oneonta State, Ithaca College, SUNY Buffalo, and Fredonia State. (There may have been more - it was really a long time ago.)

blainesapprentice
July 16th, 2007, 11:36 PM
plus facility use, if you could call a 20 yard, 4 lane, pool in a remote gym a facility.

In the year 2007, I still swim in said type of facility...boo