PDA

View Full Version : Fat Salmon Open Water Swim Photos

havecanon
July 15th, 2007, 03:08 PM
I photographed the Fat Salmon Open Water Swim from start to finish on 7/14/07 from a Boat. I have the winners and all of the others.

If interested in viewing my swim race photos go to: www.flickr.com/photos/havecanon.

Please contact me with questions. Enjoy.
:whiteflag::whiteflag:

okoban
July 15th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Photos are really good, congratulations. Where is the race? How many kilometers? The water seems still but is there a current?

havecanon
July 15th, 2007, 05:28 PM
The 3.2 and 1.2 race took place in Lake Washington in the Seattle area. There was a strong current that pushed many swimmers to the east.

FindingMyInnerFish
July 15th, 2007, 06:28 PM
Nice pix! Looks like a beautiful place to have a swim! But challenging too from what you're saying! Someday I'll have to try it!

david.margrave
July 15th, 2007, 08:30 PM
The 3.2 and 1.2 race took place in Lake Washington in the Seattle area. There was a strong current that pushed many swimmers to the east.

That's interesting. Early in the race I noticed I was farther from shore (farther east) than a lot of swimmers and started moving in closer. I wasn't sure if it was from a current or from my starting point, which was intentionally on the far east of the pack to avoid the mayhem of flailing arms. I did get closer to shore as the race progressed.

I saw someone with a pro-looking camera, probably you, on the boat as I rounded the final turn. Put some more of those 'yellow cap' photos up on your flickr site, maybe I'm in one of them!

knelson
July 16th, 2007, 12:42 AM
I didn't really notice a current. I stayed closer to shore (west) than most swimmers, in fact a little too close on a couple occasions.

Conditions were excellent this year. Very little wind, so the lake was smooth for the most part. Although many competitors chose to wear wetsuits they certainly weren't needed due to water temp. The temp was right around 70 F, I believe. It felt great!

Thanks again for posting the photos. I think I may even be in one of them. In the one called "Almost There" I think that may be me nearest the diving platform on the left.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/havecanon/815925563/in/set-72157600832383244/

Steve Ruiter
July 16th, 2007, 04:29 PM
I did not swim the Fat Salmon, but I swam that part of the lake three times last week for workouts with two guys that did. There is no current in Lake Washington. I do find it hard to swim straight though.

Nice photos.

Steve

havecanon
July 16th, 2007, 11:47 PM
Lake Washington is created and fed by the Sammamish River up north, the Cedar River down south, including Ravenna Creek along Union Bay and Thornton Creek to the west; and Kelsey Creek, Juanita Creek, and Coal Creek to the east. Finally it flows into the Puget Sound where I catch a Fat Salmon swimming in the current. Take Care.

Dominick Aielloeaver
July 17th, 2007, 03:51 PM
Havecanon. Awsome Pictures. I enjoyed them very much. Thank you for sharing. Dom in AZ.

Steve Ruiter
July 18th, 2007, 01:54 PM
Lake Washington ... flows into the Puget Sound where I catch a Fat Salmon swimming in the current. Take Care.

Actually, there are Locks between Lake WA and the sound. It is not free flowing. The lake is huge and is hundreds, it not thousands of feet deep in places (hence the two floating bridges). There is no tidal effect and no noticeable or prevailing current.

But keep taking and posting those pictures!

Steve