PDA

View Full Version : Weight Training

MichiganHusker
July 15th, 2007, 07:30 PM
I am trying to figure out the best weight training routine as possible. Today I lifted weights and worked on every single major muscle group (and small ones too) that I could from head to toe. However, I spent about 1 1/2 hours from warming up to stretching and cooling down. Because it was a weekend and I didn't have anything else to do (I was procrastinating having to work - ugh), I also swam for an hour. I got a great workout in and I feel wonderful, but I don't have this much spare time during the week.

So, this got me thinking - do you lift and swim or just lift on certain days? Do you work every muscle group or pick one area? I was contemplating whether I should swim 4x per week and lift 3x (and not swim) or lift 4x per week, but not every muscle and then swim afterwards.

What do you do?

dorothyrde
July 15th, 2007, 07:36 PM
I tend to do splits. Lift in the morning early before work, swim at lunch or after work. I like doing splits in the body as well. Maybe lower one day, upper the next and later in the week total body or a circuit of some sort. I also rotate how I lift. This month is a lot more circuits and endurance. Maybe next month will focus more on strength, or because it is still summer, keep with circuits because you get a lot of bang in a short amount of time. Realize swimming is more secondary to me than you, so you may do less weights and more swimming.

FishStick
July 16th, 2007, 05:03 PM
I split things up as well. I'm pretty new to weight training, so I'm just kind of making it up as I go. I do upper body one day, lower another and one day I try to do full body. I try to space things aout so I don't do upper body the day before a distance swim day. I always lift in the afternoon/evening because of work. I don't know if that's at all helpful, but there's my .02 :)

chlorine addict
July 16th, 2007, 08:43 PM
Here is something my sister does to cut down her overall time for working out for each week.

Day 1: weights, focusing on biceps, triceps, and shoulders
Day 2: cardio (running for her, swimming for us)
Day 3: weights, focusing on legs (sometimes glutes, sometimes not)
Day 4: cardio
Day 5: weights, focusing on back, chest, and shoulders*
Day 6: cardio
Sunday - off
*shoulders are her weak area thus she puts them in twice

She begins every weight day w/ a gentle cardio warmup, always gets in ab/core work, and does cool-down stretching. She gets her heart rate up (just as w/ her cardio days) while doing the actual weight/strength training portion.

She performs 2 sets of 15 reps each for each body part, then repeats that whole thing again (e.g. 2 bis, 2 tris, 2 shoulders; repeat). She makes sure she is having trouble getting the last 2 or so reps in for each. This is how she knows she is actively working the muscles (i.e. fatiguing them the proper amount) and that the weight is the right amount. She doesn't waste time sitting/resting, rather she goes from one to the next so as to keep that heart rate up.

She is able to get all of this completed in an hour, thus cutting her total workout time for the week as well as getting an overall body workout. In substituting some of her running days for weight days, her running form and times have improved. She saw quick results (body composition included) which encouraged her even more!

I think if total time for the week is your concern, then perhaps a schedule such as this may help (and hopefully not hinder your swimming times and goals). Good luck!