PDA

View Full Version : Technical suit and/or shaving?

smontanaro
July 16th, 2007, 09:29 PM
After seeing the article about shaving in the latest issue of swimmer I got to thinking, it seems like technical suits and shaving would have somewhat different, though overlapping, benefits. Do those of you who wear technical suits also shave the parts of your body not covered by the suit? Arm, calf, chest? I ask because I have my 5k postal swim on Friday. While I won't be wearing a technical suit, I am going to wear a new jammer. I was thinking I might shave as well. (I have never shaved for a meet or race before.)

Thx,

Skip Montanaro

blainesapprentice
July 16th, 2007, 11:33 PM
For a tapered meet I wear a technical suit and shave down.

Keep in mind that a shave for a longer event (5k) is not as noticeable as a shave for a 50free is, at least in my opinion.

Blackbeard's Peg
July 17th, 2007, 12:03 AM
Skip,
I wear fastskin legs and will shave arms, chest and full legs up to speedo-line.

knelson
July 17th, 2007, 12:31 AM
Shaving will make a difference. Like Muppet, I'll usually even shave my legs if I'm wearing a legskin suit. Why? Hairs will protrude through the suit. It might not make that much difference, but why not give it your best effort?

Trust me, if you've never shaved before you will love the feeling you get when you first get in the water shaved. You'll really feel like you're slicing through the water.

scyfreestyler
July 17th, 2007, 12:40 AM
Read the article about shaving in the latest USMS Swimmer.

gull
July 17th, 2007, 08:59 AM
Very scientific study--I swam a 500 in a Fastskin II bodyskin (fully tapered, arms shaved) then repeated the swim a few weeks later (rested but unshaved). I was about three seconds faster shaved. Both races were under meet conditions with electronic timing. Of course the first time I was trying to beat Geek, but the second time I was racing my training partner.

Allen Stark
July 17th, 2007, 01:18 PM
I shave everything not covered by suit,cap or goggles. I don't shave the covered areas and don't seem to have a problem with hairs protruding from the suit. I have heard it is better to not shave under the suit as that adds to buoyancy.Also for maximum effect have the suit dry when you get on the blocks.

Gkami
July 18th, 2007, 01:18 PM
Ok on a similar topic, does anyone notice a big difference on shaving the entire body (chest, arms, legs) vs. arms & legs alone?

The reason I ask is for Nationals I shaved everything and did pretty well, but I have added quite a bit of hair to the chest area since HS (the last time I shaved) and it was pretty annoying growing that back. So I'm wondering if anyone still seems similar benefit from only doing legs and arms vs. everything.