PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Dry Land exericses to help me swim faster

Swim_McG
July 17th, 2007, 03:25 PM
This is my first post. I'm a long time swimmer and have been competing in Masters Swimming for some time. All I have been doing for the last 12 years or so is swimming. However, I recently decided that I want to incorporate some dry-land exercise into my training. I have a very limited amount of time, so I'm looking for an exercise where I will get the most bang for my buck. I really want an exercise that will make me faster in the water - especially my breast and IM events. I was considering Fitness Pilates or Nautilus (I did Nautilus as an age-group/college swimmer). Anybody have any suggestions?

funkyfish
July 18th, 2007, 11:33 PM
If you're reasonably athletic and coordinated enough, you could try a few sets of "burpees" :bouncing:

It's a different type of exercise from swimming, and the resistance comes from your bodyweight. I just mention this because you mention limited time being an issue. Google "burpee" for a description. You could also get a good enough weight workout if you have 20-30 minutes per session, and focus on compound movements. Just my :2cents:

smontanaro
July 19th, 2007, 07:59 AM
The latest issue of USMS Swimmer has an article on dry land core exercises. Also, I find stretch cords to work well.

Skip Montanaro

Swim_McG
August 6th, 2007, 08:20 PM
Thank you. I tried the Burpees and almost puked....I guess that is good sign?? I also checked out the Fitness Swimmer article ....those are working out well for the core. Now I need to look for something for the rest of my body.

Thanks again!

geochuck
February 18th, 2008, 04:07 PM
Some great exercises here from Swim Teck
http://hk.youtube.com/watch?v=KWLaYIyEw1c

tomtopo
February 21st, 2008, 08:52 AM
A lot of swimmers neglect the exercises that help establish an Early Vertical Forearm EVF. If you don't already perform back-pulls / back rows and some EVF isometrics, you should add them to your dry-land routines. Go to youtube and enter EVF + swimming and you'll see some good dry-lands. Good luck, Coach T.