PDA

View Full Version : Woot! First OW event entered!

SwimStud
July 18th, 2007, 10:23 AM
I've signed up for the Point to Point in Westport Ct...only a mile but a start!

islandsox
July 18th, 2007, 10:44 AM
Yipee, Rich! This is good news. I just know you will enjoy the freedom associated with this swim. I can't wait to hear how it goes!!! Depending upon how many people are entered, it can also become rather humorous at the start!!

SwimStud
July 18th, 2007, 10:45 AM
Yipee, Rich! This is good news. I just know you will enjoy the freedom associated with this swim. I can't wait to hear how it goes!!! Depending upon how many people are entered, it can also become rather humorous at the start!!

LOL it coincides with my mother visiting so i've tossed down the gauntlet to her to join me! since it's not USMS she can do it too!
Donna you'll be my mantra when I start sucking wind after a couple of hundred yards:

"Donna's doing 20 times this...shuddup and swim!"

thewookiee
July 18th, 2007, 11:40 AM
Rich,

Way to go! You will have to tell us what you think of it(open water) Like you, I have entered my first open water race...the USMS 1-3 mile swim in Sandpoint,ID.
I keep asking myself why I would want to leave the confines of my safe, lighted,roped pool to try this type of race. Then I realized, that is exactly why, to step out of my comfort zone and try something new.
Good luck with your race.
John

SwimStud
July 18th, 2007, 11:50 AM
Rich,

Way to go! You will have to tell us what you think of it(open water) Like you, I have entered my first open water race...the USMS 1-3 mile swim in Sandpoint,ID.
I keep asking myself why I would want to leave the confines of my safe, lighted,roped pool to try this type of race. Then I realized, that is exactly why, to step out of my comfort zone and try something new.
Good luck with your race.
John

Thanks...I enjoyed the short swim I did at the beach last week but it was in the rolling surf and hard but I enjoyed the experience...looking forward to it!
Good luck to you too John.

some_girl
July 18th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Have fun with all the jellyfish. And don't kick any of my teammates in the head!

poolraat
July 18th, 2007, 01:16 PM
Hey SS, I hope you do good and enjoy it. My first OW was a mile in a lake 2 summers ago. I did it again last year as well as the 2.7 mi. Donner Lake Swim near Truckee CA. This year I'm doing Donner again plus either the Bridge swim in Sandpoint ID, (if I can arrange to travel with one of the other guys in my club) or the Big Shoulders in Chicago in Sept.

John, if I go to Sandpoint maybe we can meet for a cold one after. I'll keep in touch and let you know if I'm going to make it there.

thewookiee
July 18th, 2007, 01:46 PM
Pool,

Hope you can make it then. I am excited about this race because,unlike a pool race, I have no idea how I will do or what to expect of myself. I want to race and finish(plus have a good time while doing so)
John

goggles
July 19th, 2007, 06:10 AM
SS

Enjoy your ow swim, it is a totally different experience. I did my first in June and have done another 5 since. Am definitely hooked!!

Swimmy
July 19th, 2007, 09:19 AM
I've signed up for the Point to Point in Westport Ct...only a mile but a start!

:cheerleader: :cheerleader:

Yeah, Stud Muffin! You will do great! I am so proud of you! Have fun!

:cheerleader: :cheerleader:

FindingMyInnerFish
July 19th, 2007, 11:28 AM
Goooooooooo Rich!!! :banana::wine::cheerleader:

Have a great swim and tell us all about it!

Sounds like a neat swim... maybe I'll try it next year!

swimshark
July 19th, 2007, 03:06 PM
Go Rich, Go Rich, Go Rich!! You can swim it tiwce, once for yourself and once for me :) (I don't do fish).

Alison

Swimmy
July 19th, 2007, 03:32 PM
Swimshark,
You should try it just once. You might really like open water. I know you would do great! You can't say you don't like it if you never tried it!
Swimmy
:cheerleader:

SwimStud
July 19th, 2007, 04:15 PM
Swimshark,
You should try it just once. You might really like open water. I know you would do great! You can't say you don't like it if you never tried it!
Swimmy
I don't think I should refer to it as a race...the speed that I go on distances > 100 yards I will have barnacles colonising my keel by the time I exit...l

Swimmy
July 19th, 2007, 07:19 PM
I don't think I should refer to it as a race...the speed that I go on distances > 100 yards I will have barnacles colonising my keel by the time I exit...l

:rofl:
Cool. Take some pictures so we can see them!

poolraat
July 19th, 2007, 07:36 PM
John,
The transportation and hotel problem is resolved and I just registered online so I'm in. We'll have to plan on getting together after. PM me.
Floyd

Pool,

Hope you can make it then. I am excited about this race because,unlike a pool race, I have no idea how I will do or what to expect of myself. I want to race and finish(plus have a good time while doing so)
John

swimshark
July 20th, 2007, 08:04 AM
Swimshark,
Swimmy

Yea...um... no thanks. I grew up water skiing. I HATED being in the water with the fish. I would get my skis on as fast as possible to get out of the water. Great motivation not to fall :)

I am doing m first tri this Aug but the swim is in a pool. More to my liking.

Alison

FindingMyInnerFish
July 20th, 2007, 09:08 AM
Yea...um... no thanks. I grew up water skiing. I HATED being in the water with the fish. I would get my skis on as fast as possible to get out of the water. Great motivation not to fall :)

I am doing m first tri this Aug but the swim is in a pool. More to my liking.

Alison

Ah, c'mon in! Some of those fishies are cute... at least the ones that don't bite! :D :fish2:

(And they're a heckuva lot quieter than the kids who swim in the open rec area in one of the pools where I train!)

SwimStud
July 20th, 2007, 09:19 AM
Goooooooooo Rich!!! :banana::wine::cheerleader:

Have a great swim and tell us all about it!

Sounds like a neat swim... maybe I'll try it next year!

Ooh motivation to keep me in OW I see.... :kiss1:

jaegermeister
July 20th, 2007, 09:57 PM
I'm doing Big Shoulders in Chicago. First ever OW. I'm doing the 5K. Fly Queen might even do it. I guess this is the one where there's a precedent for doing the OW all fly.
I hate to gloat, but I'm glad my OW is going to be Fresh water.

Blackbeard's Peg
July 20th, 2007, 11:57 PM
I'm doing Big Shoulders in Chicago. First ever OW. I'm doing the 5K. Fly Queen might even do it. I guess this is the one where there's a precedent for doing the OW all fly.
I hate to gloat, but I'm glad my OW is going to be Fresh water.
Wow, Flyqueen?!?!?
I would love to do this event, as I have plenty of connections to Chi-town, but I don't think it is going to happen this year. It is certainly on my 2008 radar. I've heard good things about this one... and I believe Kirk has a great pic of him exiting the water from this event, similar to my avatar.

SwimStud
July 28th, 2007, 12:24 PM
OK I did a mile (approx) in 29:40. Not fast but, I was happy with that; I set myself a goal of <30mins.

fanstone
July 28th, 2007, 12:44 PM
You will get better times as you do more open water. At first you go conservative, scared of getting tired. Later you will swim using the "feel sick" technique. That is, swim slow as you start, then go faster and the last 300 or more meters you swim as fast as you can without puking...hehehe. I did my first 1,000 meters in 20. The second one (same place) I did in 18 and some seconds. That is where I've been the last year in 4 ow events at the same place and same distance. Bad days, good days, windy, whatever, I am always between 18 and 19 minutes. My goal is to break the 18 minute barrier. You will later get addicted to open water, to lakes, cold water, the feeling of being out in nature...billy fanstone

SwimStud
July 28th, 2007, 01:10 PM
You will get better times as you do more open water. At first you go conservative, scared of getting tired. Later you will swim using the "feel sick" technique. That is, swim slow as you start, then go faster and the last 300 or more meters you swim as fast as you can without puking...hehehe. I did my first 1,000 meters in 20. The second one (same place) I did in 18 and some seconds. That is where I've been the last year in 4 ow events at the same place and same distance. Bad days, good days, windy, whatever, I am always between 18 and 19 minutes. My goal is to break the 18 minute barrier. You will later get addicted to open water, to lakes, cold water, the feeling of being out in nature...billy fanstone

I got stronger in the second half and also got my sighting a little better organised...it was fun...at least I didn't --->:drown:

knelson
July 28th, 2007, 01:43 PM
and I believe Kirk has a great pic of him exiting the water from this event, similar to my avatar.

Yeah, I've done Big Shoulders a few times. It's a fun event and a good excuse to go to Chicago. Odds are I'll do it this year, too, but haven't decided for sure.

SwimStud: congrats on the swim. I think your time sounds pretty darn solid.

geochuck
July 28th, 2007, 01:46 PM
After achieviing a good Open water swim you can let everyone know. Give a yell like this http://www.ishof.org/video_archive/swimming/tarzan.htm

FindingMyInnerFish
July 28th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Rich, great time! :cheerleader: :woot:

May I borrow some of your speed on Friday? You can e-mail it to me. :D

The Fortress
July 28th, 2007, 04:04 PM
OK I did a mile (approx) in 29:40. Not fast but, I was happy with that; I set myself a goal of <30mins.

Great job, Stud! :banana:

Now you can go and celebrate your birthday in style!

Blackbeard's Peg
July 29th, 2007, 09:32 PM

Way to go Rich!

not rich: :drown:
rich::fish2:

geochuck
July 29th, 2007, 10:15 PM
Good swim Stud. You should have set your goal at 24 min you may have gone 23:40

Just joshin Stud, congrats!!!

SwimStud
July 29th, 2007, 10:20 PM
Good swim Stud. You should have set your goal at 24 min you may have gone 23:40

Just joshin Stud, congrats!!!
Thanks all...
Next year I'll go in the <26min heat...see what I can do...

Swimmy
July 30th, 2007, 07:02 AM
Yeah, Stud Muffin!

imspoiled
July 30th, 2007, 11:45 AM
Great job Stud!

You may need to spot me some time in ALL the events in our TBD grude match. It's not too late to add the 800 free to your zones entry!

islandsox
July 30th, 2007, 02:07 PM
Wow, way to go Rich! A 29:40 is pretty decent the first time outta the chute! So it sounds like it was successful and you did well and had fun. At least you weren't doing this :cane: afterwards!

Congrats!

donna