PDA

View Full Version : Splash and Dash race report

grumpytuna
July 18th, 2007, 12:13 PM
On July 14 10:30 am we had the second annual splash and dash at Settlers cove ketchikan Alaska. I was very happy with the turnout and competition, there are some very good athletes in this state and it is a pleasure to get to see some of them at work/play in an event like this.

The weather was a balmy upper 50s low 60s, very little wind and an incoming tide. The wind did pick up latter and provided a nice chop on the return length of the swim, but not to bad.

The Course was modified from last year. We had an actual 10k, which I understand all the people that ran it enjoyed. Road and trail running mixes seem to make people happy. Lunch creek trail, while narrow is in pretty good condition. The swim course caused a slight controversy. The first placement of the turn buoy made it a 2 mile swim (the log marker drifted). The second placement of the buoy while shortening the course still left it in most swimmers minds as long. Judging by the times turned in and knowing the speeds most people can swim, I'd say we were somewhere between 1800 and 2000yds. I found the distance to be about perfect, kind of took you past the sprint into a longer stretched out pace. I will try to keep that distance next year(we'll bring a gps).

Participation was good, 13 participants, 3 two person teams, 5 solos and 2 swim only. The fastest swim split was put in by Rocky Elerding at 0:26:29 and his partner Greg Singstad had a run split of 0:40:13, these two were the top 2 person team. The fastest solo was Susan Doherty with a swim split of 0:32:55 and a run of 0:49:26.

I will add the rest of the participants when I get home and can put the file on without all the typing.

I plan to get the event date set earlier next year and hope more people will participate.

Remember there is a 1k swim on August 11 and Pennock challenge August 12, hope to see you there.

Willie Schulz

lesliechapel
July 19th, 2007, 02:17 PM
Hi Willie!
Thanks for the report on the Splash and Dash. If you have more events--like the 1K coming up--please let me know so I can put it on the Visitors Bureau Calendar of Events. I have the Pennock Challenge up, but I'd like to know more about the 1K, etc. I might personally be interested in the 1K as well.

(I got wind of this post from a Google Alert!)

Thanks,
Leslie Chapel

grumpytuna
July 20th, 2007, 01:22 PM
Leslie
The 1K is an open water swim out at Settlers Cove on August 11. The race will be a beach start with about a 100 m swim out turn left and head towards lunch creek, round the bouy on the right shoulder thenback to the first buoy taking it on the left shoulder. The event is USMS sanctioned and membership in that or an equivalent is needed to participate. Wet suits will be allowed, but in a seperate catagory (even though most wear them). I don't think a wet suit will even need to be considered, during the splash and Dash the water temp was close to 60 and may have been higher.
The forms for USMS 1 year and 1 event registration can be found at http://www.akmswim.org/.

Willie