PDA

View Full Version : To look or listen at the start

Allen Stark
July 19th, 2007, 02:24 PM
At a recent thread some people advised looking for the flash of the strobe instead of listening for the beep. in another thread on starts,keeping your eyes closed to aid in focus and relaxation was recommended. I didn't think the"watch for the strobe"idea would give any advantage.Yes the speed of light is 186000mps and the speed of sound is 1000fps,but the horn is at the back of the block and so the difference would be less than .003 sec. I just read in Discover Magazine that the brain is wired up to respond to sound faster than to light,responding on average .02 faster.It seems to me that .003 is negligible but .02 is not.

Blackbeard's Peg
July 19th, 2007, 02:34 PM
Allen, if I can, I usually try to look for the strobe, or its reflection off the water. Outside, its darn near impossible, so I just settle for the sound. I kind of prefer to see something to trigger, especially as I get older and am starting to lose my hearing. :bouncing:

SwimStud
July 19th, 2007, 02:39 PM
Allen, if I can, I usually try to look for the strobe, or its reflection off the water. Outside, its darn near impossible, so I just settle for the sound. I kind of prefer to see something to trigger, especially as I get older and am starting to lose my hearing. :bouncing:

Next grudge match with me you can look for my feet entering the water...then you'll know we've started.

scyfreestyler
July 19th, 2007, 04:22 PM
Listen.

Redbird Alum
July 19th, 2007, 04:34 PM
If you are swimmming where they have horns at each block, listen. If you are at the far lane of an outdoor compex where the pistol/horn is on the other side of the pool, use your peripheral vision to pick up the flash.

Either way, anticipate, then react!

NotVeryFast
July 20th, 2007, 08:23 AM
Be very wary of using the flash, I know someone who got DQd because he started when he saw a flash, only to discover that someone had taken a flash photo!

craiglll@yahoo.com
July 20th, 2007, 08:55 AM
Be very wary of using the flash, I know someone who got DQd because he started when he saw a flash, only to discover that someone had taken a flash photo!

That's a good thought. I am deaf in my right ear and only have 63% hearing in my left ear. Almost always the starteer is on my fight side. I can only think of one time the starter was on the left. I've noticed that frequently, people do tke pictures at the start. this situation though never occurred to me.

osterber
July 20th, 2007, 09:57 AM
There is a reason that Colorado Time Systems developed the "Speedlite" on their relay exchange platforms and starting blocks. It can help you get off the blocks faster.

When I was in college, I dated a Deaf person for several years, who was also a swimmer. When she swam on relays, she was always put first, because her start was by far faster than anyone else around. She certainly wasn't listening for the horn. :-)

-Rick

swim4sanity
July 20th, 2007, 11:07 AM
My coach is pretty hard of hearing so he has to look for the strobe and he perfers that. I never tried that but he insists it is better to look.

knelson
July 20th, 2007, 01:40 PM
If you are swimmming where they have horns at each block, listen. If you are at the far lane of an outdoor compex where the pistol/horn is on the other side of the pool, use your peripheral vision to pick up the flash.

I agree with this. If you're in the far lane it could take .07 seconds (25 meters at 344 m/s) for the sound to reach you. That could easily be the difference between winning and losing in a close race.

Speaking of deaf swimmers, remember Jeff Float?

scyfreestyler
July 20th, 2007, 02:00 PM
Not sure about any of you, but my peripheral vision is horrible when wearing goggles. I can't imagine using a strobe to indicate when to start would be efficient as compared to listening to the beep.

laineybug
July 20th, 2007, 02:07 PM
I use to be a Special Olympic volunteer... usually ended up a timer. The officials told us to watch for the puff of smoke from the start pistols... I definately saw that before I heard the shot.

I also run the timing console for DGD's swim team... I would watch for the strob if at all possible.

smontanaro
July 20th, 2007, 02:13 PM
The officials told us to watch for the puff of smoke from the start pistols... I definately saw that before I heard the shot.

I also run the timing console for DGD's swim team... I would watch for the strob if at all possible.

Sure, but you had the luxury of looking right at the starter or the strobe. I don't think that will work real well on the blocks. Either you have good peripheral vision or you have to turn your head toward the starter, at least slightly. And as someone else pointed out, hope to heck nobody takes a flash photo just before the gun goes off.

Skip Montanaro

jim clemmons
July 20th, 2007, 02:16 PM
Not sure about any of you, but my peripheral vision is horrible when wearing goggles. I can't imagine using a strobe to indicate when to start would be efficient as compared to listening to the beep.

It's not coming from your peripheral, at least not like the type of starting block Rick is referring to. These blocks have a light (led series) under the lip where your fingers grab. Fed Way has them in theirs.

I wouldn't rely on attempting to start off the strobe light the timers use to start the backup watches. I'd probably break my neck doing so.

scyfreestyler
July 20th, 2007, 02:22 PM
It's not coming from your peripheral, at least not like the type of starting block Rick is referring to. These blocks have a light (led series) under the lip where your fingers grab. Fed Way has them in theirs.

I wouldn't rely on attempting to start off the strobe light the timers use to start the backup watches. I'd probably break my neck doing so.

I see said the blind man. Thanks for the clarification. It seemed borderline moronic to attempt to view the starter's strobe.

smontanaro
July 20th, 2007, 02:27 PM

That's a whole 'nuther kettle of fish. I've never encountered a system like that.

Skip

Blackbeard's Peg
July 21st, 2007, 12:17 AM
The only time I ever false started, someone took a flash photo. I was watching for the flash, saw it and flew off. When I never heard the beep as I lept off, I came right up screaming, "I SAW A FLASH!" Officials scolded the photographer, made an announcement, and sent us (myself included) back off. No one ever said a word to me about being DQ'd.
I think the swimmer you know got the shaft. I need to pick up a USA-S or FINA rulebook for the some additional reference, but DQing a swimmer b/c of camera flash is not in the spirit of the rule.

knelson
July 21st, 2007, 06:36 PM
Colorado and Omega should start putting LEDs on the touchpads that light when the start is signaled.

3strokes
July 21st, 2007, 07:29 PM
It's not coming from your peripheral, at least not like the type of starting block Rick is referring to. These blocks have a light (led series) under the lip where your fingers grab..

A question, please (I have never seen these in operation, whether in real life or on TV), so: This strobe lights, on (under?) the block, do they flash only once with the starter's signal (gun or klaxon)? If so, how long does the single flash (a strobe) last? How long does a human's blink last? What if the strobe flash is faster than a man's (or woman's) blink? Will they take a swimmer's word that (s)/he blinked at the same exact nano-second and didn't see the light? (I know that this is splitting hairs in eighths -especially for a meet where hairs have been shaven- but ...what if?)

geochuck
July 21st, 2007, 07:45 PM
Johnny Weismuller used a 12 guage shot gun to start the marathon races when he was the official starter years ago. BOOM!!!

The Fortress
July 21st, 2007, 09:36 PM
Listen.

That's all I do. It'd be too complicated to be looking for strobes. I'm just worried about getting off the blocks reasonably decently. Plus, I don't have good peripheral vision with goggles either.

3strokes
July 22nd, 2007, 09:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scyfreestyler http://forums.usms.org/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?p=100451#post100451)
Listen.

That's all I do.

Go with the ears, I'd say.
We know that ALL meets have a starting sound (whistle, klaxon, gun -or shotgun-). Therefore one doesn't want to get attuned to react to strobes and be taken by surprise when they don't "see the light".