PDA

View Full Version : Barf incident

ALM
July 20th, 2007, 12:29 AM
Well, we only got to swim about 700 meters tonight before we got kicked out of the pool. Lightning? Noooo..... While we were swimming they were teaching lessons on one side of the pool. Apparently some kid threw up into the pool. They made everyone get out. The manager said that any time they have "liquid fecal matter or vomit" they have to super-chlorinate the pool.

It reminded me of a time a few years ago when I went to a local Y for their annual 100 100s on 100 seconds. We were going to start at 9:00pm on a Friday night. At about 8:30pm, a kid threw up in the pool. The Y people were trying to tell us that we might not be able to swim. One of the Masters swimmers, a doctor, kept saying, "But vomit is sterile!"

I tried to use that argument tonight but it didn't work...

What is the policy at your pool?

--

scyfreestyler
July 20th, 2007, 12:40 AM
Not sure, our swimmers always get out and use the garbage can when they push too hard.

aquageek
July 20th, 2007, 05:21 AM
Our Y is the same, clear the pool for barf. Unfortunately, our Y closes once a week for a poo/barf incident. It's infuriating.

To their credit, the Ys post huge signs saying that non toilet trained kids must wear both a swim diaper and plastic pants over the diaper. A swim diaper is completely insufficient, might as well let them swim naked for all the good they do.

As to hurling, I don't think there's a lot you can do about that except keep the kids home if they are sick. But, when kids gotta barf, they generally can't stop it.

tulclark
July 20th, 2007, 07:08 AM
The exact same thing happened at our YMCA pool on Tuesday. The pool was closed for 8 hours to completely circulate the entire volume. What can you do?:dunno:

SwimStud
July 20th, 2007, 07:53 AM
Ours rope off the lane where the goodies are lurking and vac it up, ...at least in the case of a puke. With a "Baby Ruth Floater" I don't know what they do.

swimshark
July 20th, 2007, 08:01 AM
Sadly, I was a barfer once. Shhh. don't tell my teammates. I was pregnant and had terrible morning sickness - even put on meds for it. A bit came up during warm-up once. I told the coach and my lane mates and we went on like nothing happened. :o

I kno my old pool would shut down for many, many hours, around 10+ with baby ruth floater. It happened once after the team had practiced for 90 min. Only then did smeone notice it whne they switched lanes. Yup, it had been there since the night before. I was so thankful I missed that practice.

Alison

meldyck
July 20th, 2007, 09:05 AM
Our Y rules are the same as yours, Anna Lea. Many summers have 1-day shut-downs, usually because kids are in the pool too soon after eating and just get too excited. This summer it's better because we have a new aquatic manager with some experience in training camp councilors.

quicksilver
July 20th, 2007, 09:33 AM
They say there's more nasty stuff living in outdoor pools than indoors...coming from things like bird poop...and dead frogs.
But to answer your question...most pools are required to shut down from barf mishaps. Ours does.

From the Centers For Disease Control...
Vomit in Pool Water

Q: What germs are likely to be spread by vomit?
A: Noroviruses (also known as Norwalk-like viruses)

Q: Assuming that norovirus is in the vomit, what should I do?
A: Respond to the vomit accident as you would respond to a formed fecal accident, using CDC's recommendations.

Noroviruses sound pretty nasty...
http://www.noroblog.com/articles/norovirus-outbreaks/

Concho Pearl
July 20th, 2007, 11:28 AM
Our "Y" shuts down if they hear thunder - and of course vomit and even blood, just a small amount of blood.

So it's really not worth going on Fridays after day care swims, you never know if your going to walk in and have to go home. And of course I always forget to bring my tennie shoes go I can just go and lift weights instead.

Most of the problems are only during the summer months - so far so good this year. - Oh,no with that being said- today is day care swim day - some kid gonna get sick today -LOL

Blackbeard's Peg
July 20th, 2007, 11:37 AM
My summer club pool (non-Y) has ALWAYS had a policy of "not potty-trained = no main pool." Now I've never worked there, but to my knowledge, they've never had an incident while I was there. Baby pool, however, that thing gets shut down all the time.

My first lifeguarding job was at a community pool, and they allowed swim diaper pants and a swimsuit to cover the diaper for either pool. I always made sure parents knew the rules and would check routinely any time I saw a diapered kid. Parents were for the most part pretty understanding, especially when I explained to them how we'd been closed a full [hot] Sunday once when we had some midnight visitors.
I may or may not have told someone once we'd have to drain the pool and refill. :rofl:

ensignada
July 20th, 2007, 11:39 AM
From what I've observeed, little kids usually throw up because they're crying so hard, not because they're sick. Where my daughter takes lessons(a university pool) the guards scoop out the vomit and lessons go on without interruption. It's worked great for years.

This summer, unfortuntately, the filter system got knocked out over a weekend and the kids were swimming in what looked and smelled like pond water - we parents were assured it was adequately chlorinated. A week later, the pool was closed because over 60 kids got sick - giardiasis, cryptosporidiosis and norovirus. Connected to the filter issue? I don't know. Fortunately for us, neither my daughter nor I got sick - but the little kids who still swallow a mouthful here and there...

lefty
July 20th, 2007, 12:32 PM
This discussion naturally leads to another question which I will start out by admitting, of course I do...

aquageek
July 20th, 2007, 01:05 PM
This discussion naturally leads to another question which I will start out by admitting, of course I do...

I'm thankful for a lot of things, like not having to go against Fort in the fly during practice. But mostly, I'm now thankful I don't swim with you, that's disgusting and pretty rude. I don't want to hear it's 99% sterile or some other crap, get out of the pool for goodness sakes.

I'd rather eat off Borko's thrice used paper plates than swim with a pool pisser.

SwimStud
July 20th, 2007, 01:10 PM
I'm thankful for a lot of things, like not having to go against Fort in the fly during practice. But mostly, I'm now thankful I don't swim with you, that's disgusting and pretty rude. I don't want to hear it's 99% sterile or some other crap, get out of the pool for goodness sakes.

I'd rather eat off Borko's thrice used paper plates than swim with a pool pisser.

How would you know? The purple dye is a urban myth, right?

aquageek
July 20th, 2007, 01:22 PM
How would you know? The purple dye is a urban myth, right?

Well, Houston is now on yellow alert.

Slowswim
July 20th, 2007, 01:37 PM
I agree with Geek. No great harm to get out of the pool.

The coaches where I swam in Florida were always saying that it was Okay, but people got out and went to the bathrooms. What I really hate is to see swimmers spit or blow there nose in the pool and I don't mean those who will spit in to the filter.:censor:

</IMG>

The Fortress
July 20th, 2007, 03:24 PM
I agree with Geek. No great harm to get out of the pool.

The coaches where I swam in Florida were always saying that it was Okay, but people got out and went to the bathrooms. What I really hate is to see swimmers spit or blow there nose in the pool and I don't mean those who will spit in to the filter.:censor:

</IMG>

All the guys I know here are pissing in the pool and the girls are getting out. Glad to know there's a couple civilized men.

I am working up a real detestation for rec centers in the summer. I was trying to squeeze in a workout between running back and forth to a kiddie prelim/final meet. Drove to the Rec Center. Closed for poo incident. Non-potty trained kids should really be in a separate pool. Drove 30 minutes to another pool, swam for 15 minutes, thunder. I was steamed. I get cranky without my workouts, especially the fly portions.

Today, tried to sneak in another workout. Pulled it off this time. But no backstroke flags. I was reduced to counting strokes and SDKs like Paul Smith. But I got in 4000. I really hope I don't have to encounter any more barf or floaters.

lefty
July 20th, 2007, 04:01 PM

:cry:

SwimStud
July 20th, 2007, 04:04 PM
All the guys I know here are pissing in the pool and the girls are getting out. Glad to know there's a couple civilized men.

Hmm my pre workout ritual is change, bathroom, shower pool. I've had to get out maybe 2x ever to go again...I'd rather hold it than lose my spot.

quicksilver
July 20th, 2007, 05:34 PM
Just as bad or maybe worse than the pee...

How about those manly men who insist on making a those wretched hoch-ing noises...right before they spew a mouthful of slime into the gutter.

That is just sooo vile.

scyfreestyler
July 20th, 2007, 05:37 PM
How about those manly men who insist on making a those wretched hoch-ing noises...right before they spew a mouthful of slime into the gutter.

That is just sooo vile.
I rarely see that anymore since I am primarily swimming with 18 and unders these days but when I swam at the city rec center before...oh baby, look out scout. There were times that hearing that sound next to me would nearly drive me out of the pool, and I love to swim.

ensignada
July 20th, 2007, 05:47 PM
That's it. I'm applying for the blasting permit tomorrow and putting in my own pool.

Mirabella
July 23rd, 2007, 10:10 AM
Turds, vomit and blood no problem. More concern with diarrhea.
Read all about it -
http://www.cdc.gov/healthyswimming/fecal_response.htm
I don't know how to eliminate pool urinators. Shoot them??

knelson
July 23rd, 2007, 11:52 AM

Maybe, but first you'd need to be able to identify them :)

I confess to peeing in the pool back when I was in college, but I was more of a caveman then (with apologies to the GEICO cavemen).

SwimStud
July 23rd, 2007, 12:27 PM
Maybe, but first you'd need to be able to identify them :)

I confess to peeing in the pool back when I was in college, but I was more of a caveman then (with apologies to the GEICO cavemen).

"It's always warm in the lane when Kirk leads off...."

scyfreestyler
July 23rd, 2007, 12:29 PM

:lmao: Very good!

knelson
July 23rd, 2007, 12:47 PM

These days it's only due to my incredible speed burning up the water! :groovy:

SwimStud
July 23rd, 2007, 12:51 PM
These days it's only due to my incredible speed burning up the water! :groovy:

"Or that's the illusion you have because everyone else is putting the
brakes on to let you get ahead wit your warm wake...hmmm"

At least you can't "pee" me in a virtual race ;)

I had friends over the other weeknd and the kids were al in the hottub... it smelt a little funky after....

Blackbeard's Peg
July 23rd, 2007, 01:49 PM
Turds, vomit and blood no problem. More concern with diarrhea.
Read all about it -
http://www.cdc.gov/healthyswimming/fecal_response.htm
Yes, as I recall from my pool-op days, after a baby ruth nugget-style, we could fish it out and close for an hour while we let a little extra chlorine do its job. A more liquifeid #2, or an overnight snickers bar (something left in for several hours) and we'd have to close for 16 hours and shock the pool at least once.

aztimm
July 23rd, 2007, 04:52 PM
I was half thinking of some of these 'matters' while swimming this morning, but there were so many leaves and other stuff in the pool from recent storms, it would have been difficult to tell what was what.

mermaid
July 23rd, 2007, 09:11 PM
To the gross noise makers, pool pissers, snot tossers, and other human substance extractors: What are you thinking??!!

Is it because we are on the cusp of nakedness you feel uninhibited to a level that allows you the compulsion to share even more with us?

Please - keep the pool (water, etc.) in just the same condition as you found it.