PDA

View Full Version : 2007 ConocoPhillips National Championships July 31st - Aug 4th

ande
July 24th, 2007, 05:19 PM
the 2007 ConocoPhillips National Championships July 31st - Aug 4th
will soon give us something fun to discuss

http://www.usaswimming.org/nationals/

http://www.allgreatracers.com

Live results on
http://www.omegatiming.com/livetiming/index.htm

Results
http://omegatiming.com/swimming/racearchives/2007/indianapolis_1_2007/index.htm

webcast
http://usaswimming.sportnet.com/

ande
July 28th, 2007, 11:41 PM
psyche sheet

http://www.usaswimming.org/USASWeb/_Rainbow/Documents/63b71543-f18f-4f15-92cc-f34560b9f57c/Psych%20Sheet.pdf

knelson
July 28th, 2007, 11:44 PM
A couple things I noticed:

- no Katie Hoff in the 400 IM
- no Kate Ziegler in the 1500 free.

CreamPuff
July 29th, 2007, 07:00 PM

Do you think it's because her lineup is so stacked already?

aquageek
July 29th, 2007, 07:39 PM
Anyone know if this is being carried on TV?

hrietz
July 29th, 2007, 07:43 PM
Do you think it's because her lineup is so stacked already?

I think that since she has set the world record in this event she now wants to work on her speed in the shorter events, particularly the 200 free. I read somewhere that she really wants to be on that 4 x 200 free relay in the Olympics. Since the 1500 is not an Olympic event for women, I really don't see her trying to take a shot at her new record until after the Olympics.

I noticed that Dara Torres is the top seed in the 50 by quite a bit for a 50 (24.81 to 25.18) and seeded third in the 100. I wouldn't be surprised if she won both in career best times...

What surprises me is that one year out from the Olympics this meet is not being conducted in the morning finals/evening prelims format that will be used in the Olympics...

hrietz
July 29th, 2007, 07:45 PM

Many of the superstars seem to be swimming "off" or different events. One of the "highlights" of the meet could be the Phelps/Lochte battle in the 200 breast!!!

Peter Cruise
July 29th, 2007, 09:10 PM
Interesting that Amanda Beard is skipping this. Is her comeback still on, or has she misplaced her bathing suits?

FlyQueen
July 30th, 2007, 09:58 AM
Amanda Beard, Aaron Peirsol, Margaret Hoelzer, Jason Lezak, and Randall Bal are all swimming a meet in Paris and skipping Nationals.

I didn't see Kaitlin Sandeno on the psyche sheet either.

Frank Thompson
July 30th, 2007, 10:55 AM
The Meet is called the Paris Open EDF. Those 5 swimmers are on the list as well as others from around the world, mostly from Europe.

http://www.opendeparisdenatation.com/index.aspx?news=131

lefty
July 30th, 2007, 11:36 AM
Piersol is listed in the Nationals Psyche sheet, too. Strange

Jeff Commings
July 30th, 2007, 11:59 AM
What surprises me is that one year out from the Olympics this meet is not being conducted in the morning finals/evening prelims format that will be used in the Olympics...

Olympic Trials will also have evening finals (http://www.usaswimming.org/USASWeb/_Rainbow/Documents/6ce5eaed-0254-44e4-ab74-94fe2833f50e/Trials%20Event%20order.pdf)

ensignada
July 30th, 2007, 12:30 PM
I'm in Indy visiting my mom this week - I'm going to try to be at the meet as much as possible without my mom and daughter making a missing person report (I'm taking them with me one day). I'm excited!

hrietz
July 30th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Amanda Beard, Aaron Peirsol, Margaret Hoelzer, Jason Lezak, and Randall Bal are all swimming a meet in Paris and skipping Nationals.

I didn't see Kaitlin Sandeno on the psyche sheet either.

Kaitlin is swimming in the World University Games.

FlyQueen
July 30th, 2007, 03:52 PM
Yeah, I forgot about WUGs, I was worried she was injured or something.

Any bold predictions?

Jeff Commings
July 30th, 2007, 04:32 PM
Any bold predictions?

No world records at this meet. Everyone's pretty much swimming through. But no one expected all those world records in Melbourne, so I hope I'm wrong. There might be a few American records. Keep an eye on the women's 200 free.

I find it fascinating that Ryan Lochte and Michael Phelps are swimming breaststroke. Whoever can get that stroke down between now and next year will be the man to beat in the IMs. I think they both know this.

To wit:
Fly -- Phelps
Back -- Lochte
Breast -- Even
Free -- Phelps

If Lochte can outsplit Phelps on the breast in the 200 IM (and possibly the 400), he can hold off Phelps in the free.

I'm telling ya, the men's 200 IM will be the race of the Olympics. Ryan's killed one giant. He's got his sights set on another.

This is not to say I'm anti-Phelps. I'm just making an analysis of what I've seen since Melbourne.

jim clemmons
July 30th, 2007, 06:28 PM
Anyone know if this is being carried on TV?

Geek,

I pulled this off USA swimming.

http://www.usaswimming.org/USASWeb/ViewMiscArticle.aspx?TabId=729&Alias=Rainbow&Lang=en&mid=1644&ItemId=2402

Don't have a clue as to what actual channels they may be on:

2006 ConocoPhillips USA Swimming National Championships TV Schedule

Television Schedule

*This schedule will be updated periodically.

Check your local listings for exact times in your area.

Comcast Sportsnet West Wednesday August 23 8 - 10 p.m.
Comcast Charter Sport South East CSS Sunday, August 20 3 - 5 p.m.
SportsNet NY Thursday, August 31 6:30 - 8:30 p.m.
SportsNet NY Sunday, Sept. 3 8 - 10 p.m.
SportsNet NY Sunday, Sept. 10 2 - 4 p.m.
SportsNet NY Friday, Sept. 15 1 - 3 p.m.
SportsNet NY Sunday, Sept. 24 2 - 4 p.m.; 8 -10 p.m.
CN8 Saturday, September 2 7 - 9 p.m.
Altitude Sports Wednesday, August 23 8-10 p.m.
Altitude Sports Thursday, August 24 1-3 p.m.
Altitude Sports Monday, August 28 7-9 p.m.

ande
July 30th, 2007, 06:31 PM
Jeff Wrote: Ryan's killed one giant. He's got his sights set on another.

jeff,
I'd say Ryan wounded a giant or woke up a giant and now that giant is eager to reclaim what was taken from his kingdom.

Ande

No world records at this meet. Everyone's pretty much swimming through. But no one expected all those world records in Melbourne, so I hope I'm wrong. There might be a few American records. Keep an eye on the women's 200 free.

I find it fascinating that Ryan Lochte and Michael Phelps are swimming breaststroke. Whoever can get that stroke down between now and next year will be the man to beat in the IMs. I think they both know this.

To wit:
Fly -- Phelps
Back -- Lochte
Breast -- Even
Free -- Phelps

If Lochte can outsplit Phelps on the breast in the 200 IM (and possibly the 400), he can hold off Phelps in the free.

I'm telling ya, the men's 200 IM will be the race of the Olympics. Ryan's killed one giant. He's got his sights set on another.

This is not to say I'm anti-Phelps. I'm just making an analysis of what I've seen since Melbourne.

Frank Thompson
July 30th, 2007, 07:21 PM
Geek,

I pulled this off USA swimming.

http://www.usaswimming.org/USASWeb/ViewMiscArticle.aspx?TabId=729&Alias=Rainbow&Lang=en&mid=1644&ItemId=2402

Don't have a clue as to what actual channels they may be on:

2006 ConocoPhillips USA Swimming National Championships TV Schedule

Television Schedule

*This schedule will be updated periodically.

Check your local listings for exact times in your area.

Comcast Sportsnet West Wednesday August 23 8 - 10 p.m.
Comcast Charter Sport South East CSS Sunday, August 20 3 - 5 p.m.
SportsNet NY Thursday, August 31 6:30 - 8:30 p.m.
SportsNet NY Sunday, Sept. 3 8 - 10 p.m.
SportsNet NY Sunday, Sept. 10 2 - 4 p.m.
SportsNet NY Friday, Sept. 15 1 - 3 p.m.
SportsNet NY Sunday, Sept. 24 2 - 4 p.m.; 8 -10 p.m.
CN8 Saturday, September 2 7 - 9 p.m.
Altitude Sports Wednesday, August 23 8-10 p.m.
Altitude Sports Thursday, August 24 1-3 p.m.
Altitude Sports Monday, August 28 7-9 p.m.

Jim:

Not to be funny here but the schedule you provided was last years Nationals. I have not seen any coverage of this event at all on TV.

Rob Copeland
July 31st, 2007, 08:50 AM
I have not seen any coverage of this event at all on TV.You can always catch the live web cast at http://usaswimming.sportnet.com/

Or the live timing at http://livetiming.omegatiming.com/swimming/java/swim_v4B.html

or http://www.usaswimming.org/usasweb/ViewMiscArticle.aspx?TabId=160&Alias=Rainbow&Lang=en&mid=471&ItemId=2527

imspoiled
July 31st, 2007, 09:44 AM
You can always catch the live web cast at http://usaswimming.sportnet.com/

Or the live timing at http://livetiming.omegatiming.com/swimming/java/swim_v4B.html

I got the timing site to work, but not the streaming video. Anyone else getting the "Stream OS program not available" message?

FlyQueen
July 31st, 2007, 11:24 AM
I think it is only available at night, starting at 6 eastern.

The live timing is fantastic! I love it! Phelps had almost 5 seconds on Lochte in the 200 BR!

Jeff Commings
July 31st, 2007, 11:43 AM
A few swimmers who have poked their heads into masters swimming are at the meet:

Men's 200 fly
67.SCALISE Erik 77 RENOPC 0.75 28.53 1:00.17 1:32.55 2:05.13
*Erik went 1:47 in Federal Way. That converts to a 2:04.

Men's 200 breast
63. 4 5 ROLLINS Dave 84 FORDAZ 0.74 31.14 1:07.57 1:45.44 2:25.92
*Dave's not really a 200 swimmer. His real test is the 100 later on.

So far, it looks like a lot of people might be just resting for this meet. Michael Phelps and Ryan Lochte could have easily made the final of the 200 breast. They both split 33s on the breast leg of the 200 IM in Melbourne, but Ryan's splits were in the 36 range and Michael held 34s.

Kate Ziegler's 800 free tonight might be the shining point of the meet. As I said before, I don't predict any world records, but we'll see.

jim clemmons
July 31st, 2007, 11:58 AM
Jim:

Not to be funny here but the schedule you provided was last years Nationals. I have not seen any coverage of this event at all on TV.

Thanks Frank. Guess it would help if I paid better attention.:doh:

poolraat
July 31st, 2007, 12:31 PM
Men's 200 breast
63. 4 5 ROLLINS Dave 84 FORDAZ 0.74 31.14 1:07.57 1:45.44 2:25.92
*Dave's not really a 200 swimmer. His real test is the 100 later on.

He's not a masters swimmer but he swam for my wife's age group team before going to U of Arizona. Do you know him Jeff?

Men's 200 breast
20. 4 8 STENINGER Bart 86 FORDAZ 0.74 31.11 1:06.23 1:42.23 2:18.96C 7.46

Jeff Commings
July 31st, 2007, 01:29 PM
I could point out Bart on the deck if I saw him, but I don't really know him.

I never pegged him as a breaststroker. That was a nice swim by Bart. It's faster than I ever did it.

swimmieAvsFan
July 31st, 2007, 02:36 PM
anyone else think it's absolutely insane that the top 51 finishers in the men's 2fly all had OT cuts?!?!?! and the top 34 finishers in the women's 2fly?!?!?!?!
:eek: :notworthy:

FlyQueen
July 31st, 2007, 02:53 PM
Time to make it a harder cut, huh, Mollie?

Rob Copeland
July 31st, 2007, 03:03 PM
anyone else think it's absolutely insane that the top 51 finishers in the men's 2fly all had OT cuts?!?!?! I noticed that 2 men were tied for 16th place in the 200 fly prelims…

Prelims, a swim-off and finals; 3 200 fly’s in one day. Now that’s fun!

Jason Marsteller
July 31st, 2007, 03:54 PM
Just letting you all know we are blogging from the pool throughout the week. If you have any special requests, hit us up via our new Reaction Time story comment feature.

Jason Marsteller
Swimming World Magazine

tjburk
July 31st, 2007, 04:54 PM
Rob....figures you would think that was fun!!!!! LOL

Congrats to Noah for his swims last weekend!!!!

Jeff Commings
July 31st, 2007, 05:03 PM
anyone else think it's absolutely insane that the top 51 finishers in the men's 2fly all had OT cuts?!?!?! and the top 34 finishers in the women's 2fly?!?!?!?!
:eek: :notworthy:

51 is a lot. 34 is just right.

Trials cuts are based on the time of a certain placing at nationals. I think its the 40th-fastest time, but it could be faster than that. I remember there only being less than 30 people in the 100 breast at the 1992 trials. That's three-and-a-half heats, so the time might have been fast then.

scyfreestyler
July 31st, 2007, 11:22 PM
Erik Vendt kicked BUTT in the 1500! I love seeing people make a big comeback like he is doing.

Here's a brief rundown.

http://www.usaswimming.org/USASWeb/ViewNewsArticle.aspx?TabId=0&Alias=Rainbow&Lang=en-US&ItemId=1667&mid=3153

FlyQueen
August 1st, 2007, 09:03 AM
I'm really happy for Rebecca Soni. I picked her for them 08 team two years ago. What a great race, I think Salo has really helped her stroke. I think she'll have the American Record next.

Erik Vendt is awesome! What a great swim. I think that's his best shot at making the 08 team. The 400IM is stacked. I don't that he could do it though.

How awesome is Kathleen Hersey? Great 200 fly. I think she'll be on the 08 team too. That is starting to become a deep event for the women. I can't wait to see what Sandeno does with it next week in Thailand.

I think the 200 fly was a break through for Tarwater. He's had great swims and made plenty of national teams but I think/hope that really boosted his confidence. I don't think he can take down Phelps, but I think he is the one to beat for the second spot.

Very excited for today's races! The 100 free should be awesome -the men are loaded (I'm hoping to see Crocker finally pop off a great time - he's been off form since 04 in that event) and the return of Dara Torres, I think she claims the title!

CreamPuff
August 1st, 2007, 09:41 AM
I'm rooting for Dara (and Amanda as she's from Swim Atlanta).

It's so crazy to see the year 67 listed for Dara's date of birth. We masters swimmers have no room to argue age anymore. Sigh.

ande
August 1st, 2007, 10:31 AM
Day 2 has begun
mens 400 IM is in the water right now
follow it at:

scyfreestyler
August 1st, 2007, 10:34 AM
I'm rooting for Dara (and Amanda as she's from Swim Atlanta).

It's so crazy to see the year 67 listed for Dara's date of birth. We masters swimmers have no room to argue age anymore. Sigh.

Late bloomer? :p

ande
August 1st, 2007, 10:43 AM
actually Dara was an early bloomer
making the '84 olympic team at 14
so since she's still fast that makes her a perinneal

Late bloomer? :p

tjburk
August 1st, 2007, 10:43 AM
FlyQueen....hopefully Crocker continues where he left off at SCY Nationals.. he was really close to the American record at that meet.....

tjburk
August 1st, 2007, 11:06 AM
55.51 for Dara in the prelims

Rob Copeland
August 1st, 2007, 11:06 AM
I'm rooting for Dara (and Amanda as she's from Swim Atlanta).Good choices!
Dara is seeded fifth for tonight’s finals and Amanda is seeded first.

And on the men’s side the top 14 were all under 50 seconds. Geez, I remember when it was a big deal when the first man broke the 50 second barrier.

ALM
August 1st, 2007, 11:21 AM
actually Dara was an early bloomer making the '84 olympic team at 14 so since she's still fast that makes her a perineal

I sure hope you mean perennial and not perineal: :mooning:

perineal: adjective, of or relating to the perineum

per·i·ne·um (pěr'ə-nē'əm):
1. The portion of the body in the pelvis occupied by urogenital passages and the rectum, bounded in front by the pubic arch, in the back by the coccyx, and laterally by part of the hipbone.

--

ande
August 1st, 2007, 11:41 AM
decent Mens 100 free

wonder if the foreign swimmers swim in the finals
I didn't think Peter Vanderkaay would be tonights top seed for American Men
isn't Neethling south african, Schoeman is
UT/Longhorn had Garrett, David Walters and Neil Walker made finals
Ricky Berens, Ian, and Dale Rodgers made consolations

It's also surprising Cullen Jones got squeezed out of finals with 9th place

I'm curious to see how fast tonight is.

A

tjburk
August 1st, 2007, 11:47 AM
Yeah, Neethling is South African.....was hoping Ian would make the A finals:sad:

scyfreestyler
August 1st, 2007, 11:50 AM
I think the 200 fly was a break through for Tarwater. He's had great swims and made plenty of national teams but I think/hope that really boosted his confidence. I don't think he can take down Phelps, but I think he is the one to beat for the second spot.

Totally. He races Phelps everyday in practice so he knows where he needs to be and what it takes to get the job done. I am sure Vendt is reaping the benefits of that young competitive group as well.

ande
August 1st, 2007, 12:19 PM
tarwater died pretty bad in the 200 fly
out in 54.08 back in 61.9
that's almost an 8 sec diff
he needed to give a little on the front end to have more on the back

Totally. He races Phelps everyday in practice so he knows where he needs to be and what it takes to get the job done. I am sure Vendt is reaping the benefits of that young competitive group as well.

scyfreestyler
August 1st, 2007, 12:28 PM

Always room for improvement but 4 seconds off of the WR in the 200 Fly is nothing to sneeze at...nor is first place at nationals.

FlyQueen
August 1st, 2007, 12:31 PM

Some of us like the go out like a bat out of hell and die method of racing as opposed to nice even splitting.

CreamPuff
August 1st, 2007, 12:54 PM
Good choices!
Dara is seeded fifth for tonight’s finals and Amanda is seeded first.

And on the men’s side the top 14 were all under 50 seconds. Geez, I remember when it was a big deal when the first man broke the 50 second barrier.

I too remember when breaking 50 was a huge deal!

Here's my theory on Dara. She went just fast enough to get into the finals and still has a great shot at a top 1 or 2 finish. Being older, she really needs to conserve her energy so no sense in giving 100% in the prelims.
We'll see. . .

Jeff Commings
August 1st, 2007, 01:04 PM
I was watching the live feed on the mile last night and it took everything I had to not cheer for Erik Vendt (I was at work). It's too bad Dara's comeback is overshadowing his.

Lochte will have an impressive double tonight: 400 IM-200 back. He won't hold back on either. Since he's not in the middle lanes, Michael won't be able to see him at all.

The 100 free, men and women, are the big events of the meet. Lots of questions will be answered.

Since I live in Tucson, I'm cheering for Ryk and Roland. Neither of them had the kind of world championships they hoped for, and haven't been on their game really since 2005.

I don't know where Lyndon Ferns is, but he's been swimming well this summer and would have added more intrigue to the race.

That women's 100 free final will be tough. I'm thinking four women will be under 55. That's fast.

knelson
August 1st, 2007, 01:41 PM
Erik Vendt is an animal, pure and simple. From what I've heard no one trains harder than he does.

I don't think it's out of the realm of possibililty to have two swimmers under the existing WR in the 200 back tonight. I'm a little surprised Lochte went so "slow" this morning, though. He didn't win his heat and he cut it a little too close for comfort. Dropping six seconds between prelims and finals is a tall order, though.

Frank Thompson
August 1st, 2007, 01:41 PM
I noticed that 2 men were tied for 16th place in the 200 fly prelims…

Prelims, a swim-off and finals; 3 200 fly’s in one day. Now that’s fun!

I noticed that 2 women were tied for 16th place in the 400 IM prelims.

Alison Clemens won the swim off for the finals tonight in the 400 IM.
Prelims, a swim-off and finals; 3 400 IM’s in one day. Now that’s fun!

FlyQueen
August 1st, 2007, 03:08 PM
I noticed that 2 women were tied for 16th place in the 400 IM prelims.

Alison Clemens won the swim off for the finals tonight in the 400 IM.
Prelims, a swim-off and finals; 3 400 IM’s in one day. Now that’s fun!

Frank I had the same thought and was trying to figure out which one I'd rather swim 3 times ... yuck!

As for Vendt, what a rock star. He was an animal in that race it was unreal! He held his pace as everyone around him died.

I heard Lochte wasn't rested or shaved for Nationals and was swimming through it.

Blackbeard's Peg
August 1st, 2007, 03:44 PM
It's also surprising Cullen Jones got squeezed out of finals with 9th place
I'm not surprised by this at all. I had a chance to see Cullen last year at ACC's. He did pretty well there, but didn't do the damage everyone thought he would; and same at the '06 NCAA's.

I have two hypotheses here...
1 the pressure of the big meets gets to him
2 he's a better SCY swimmer than LCM (a la fred bousquet)

All of this really sucks, cause as I got a chance to snoop on his conversations on deck at ACC's, this guy is a top notch gentleman, and even though he went to a rival school, I really want to see him achieve the accolades everyone thinks he is capable of.

FlyQueen
August 1st, 2007, 04:05 PM
I'm not surprised by this at all. I had a chance to see Cullen last year at ACC's. He did pretty well there, but didn't do the damage everyone thought he would; and same at the '06 NCAA's.

All of this really sucks, cause as I got a chance to snoop on his conversations on deck at ACC's, this guy is a top notch gentleman, and even though he went to a rival school, I really want to see him achieve the accolades everyone thinks he is capable of.

We don't really know where he is with his training though - is he tapered or not, did he take time off after worlds, etc.?

He did well in the relay at worlds and at Pan Pacs. I think he'll be okay.

knelson
August 1st, 2007, 04:07 PM
I wouldn't count Cullen Jones out yet. He could still win the 50.

Jeff Commings
August 1st, 2007, 04:33 PM
I heard Lochte wasn't rested or shaved for Nationals and was swimming through it.

I find that hard to believe. This is his last chance before Trials to make a statement like the one(s) he made in Melbourne.

We'll find out in a couple of hours. If he breaks 4:10 in the 400 IM and approaches his world record, he's definitely not "swimming through."

And to make a comment about Cullen Jones. His not making the final does not mean anything at all. If you look at the top eight times, someone was bound to not be in the final. In the US, it used to be a major achievement to break 50.0 in the 100 free. Now we have almost 16 guys doing it (not counting Jason Lezak).

If Ben Wildman-Tobriner hadn't made the final, would we be talking about him crashing and burning? Probably. It's the court of public opinion, and I totally understand it.

The 100 frees, as I said before, are going to be two hellacious finals. And don't think those B finalists won't be out to prove something as well.

ande
August 1st, 2007, 04:41 PM
jones isn't using his speed to take out his 100 free and it cost him
it's a good wake up call

In the 100 swimmers should be out around second slower than their 50 free time.
cullen's been 21.9
he should take out his 100 in 22.9

Frank Thompson
August 1st, 2007, 05:01 PM
First off I think the live webcast that USA is providing over at the USA Swimming site is great and I look forward to tonight's swims starting at 6:00 EST. Last night there were some great races especially the distance free. Eric Vendt swam to a personal best from 7 years ago when he was the first American to go under 15 minutes in the 1500 Free. He dropped his best time of 14:59.11 by 2 seconds and can make his third Olympic team if he keeps going. Rebecca Soni is getting closer to Amanda Beard's American Record and has served notice that she is the one to watch in the future. Last year about this time the fastest time by an American was almost 4 seconds slower than what she swam last night. Kate Ziegler went out and was on record pace around the 350 and then had to just swim to win and hold off Katie Hoff in the 800 Free. Katie Hoff seems to improve in every event she swims and that was an impressive 800 Free.

Tonight we have some great races. In the Women's 400 IM I think 3 swimmers could win this and I pick Kurkors to win over Leverenz and Smit. In the Men's 400 IM you would think that without Phelps in this event that Ryan Lochte would win easily but that is not the case. Judging from the way Vendt swam last night I see this as an even match. Ryan Lochte beat Vendt out by a second last year to get on the Pan Pac team so he has is work cut out for him.

In the Women's 100 Free, Dara Torres would become the first 40 year old to win a National Championship. She already has the record from 2000 as the oldest to win a National Championship at 33. I am picking Amanda Weir to win based on her swims in the prelims. In the Men's 100 Free its a pick up race. Maybe one of the South Africans will win since they have had a dry spell in the last two years. I think Wildman-Tobriner could be the outside smoke and win.

In the Womens 200 Back, I will go with either Katie Hoff or the young Elizabeth Beisel. I give Hoff the advantage because Beisel is swimming the 400 IM and that is a tough double to swim. Which brings us to the race of the night. The Men's 200 Back pits rivals Phelps agianst Ryan Lochte. Last year Phelps beat Lochte by a second but a lot has changed since then. I am not sure who is the favorite but since Lochte has never beaten Phelps in any event in a National or International Championship, it would be hard to make him the favorite. However, he is the World Record holder now and the way he swam in the prelims, he seemed to shut down his race because he knew he would qualify for the finals. He was out in :56.54 at the 100 and was 1.5 ahead of Phelp's time at the 100 so his 2 minute time from the preliims does not mean much. I have a hard time picking against Michael the way he swimming this year and with Ryan swimming the 400 IM earlier I just can't pick against him.

I think tonight we are really going to see what Ryan Lochte is about and if he can challenge Phelps in 2008. If he could win these races that would prove that he is in for the challenge. If he splits the events, then he is where he was last year. If he loses both events and loses them badly then he has to go back to the drawing board and analyze. As Jeff said we all know he is getting closer to Michael Phelps but he has to do it in key races, like right now and since this is his best event, he has to do it now to start the meet right. Then we can look forward to the 200 IM and 100 Back later in the meet.

knelson
August 1st, 2007, 05:23 PM
Tonight we have some great races. In the Women's 400 IM I think 3 swimmers could win this and I pick Kurkors to win over Leverenz and Smit.

I think Kukors is going to have a tough time. She doesn't seem to be swimming well at this meet. She swam the 200 fly and 200 breast yesterday and was a ways off her bests. However, the 400 IM is sort of her pet event so I'm sure she'll give it her all.

The Fortress
August 1st, 2007, 05:25 PM
First off I think the live webcast that USA is providing over at the USA Swimming site is great and I look forward to tonight's swims starting at 6:00 EST. Last night there were some great races especially the distance free. Eric Vendt swam to a personal best from 7 years ago when he was the first American to go under 15 minutes in the 1500 Free. He dropped his best time of 14:59.11 by 2 seconds and can make his third Olympic team if he keeps going. Rebecca Soni is getting closer to Amanda Beard's American Record and has served notice that she is the one to watch in the future. Last year about this time the fastest time by an American was almost 4 seconds slower than what she swam last night. Kate Ziegler went out and was on record pace around the 350 and then had to just swim to win and hold off Katie Hoff in the 800 Free. Katie Hoff seems to improve in every event she swims and that was an impressive 800 Free.

Tonight we have some great races. In the Women's 400 IM I think 3 swimmers could win this and I pick Kurkors to win over Leverenz and Smit. In the Men's 400 IM you would think that without Phelps in this event that Ryan Lochte would win easily but that is not the case. Judging from the way Vendt swam last night I see this as an even match. Ryan Lochte beat Vendt out by a second last year to get on the Pan Pac team so he has is work cut out for him.

In the Women's 100 Free, Dara Torres would become the first 40 year old to win a National Championship. She already has the record from 2000 as the oldest to win a National Championship at 33. I am picking Amanda Weir to win based on her swims in the prelims. In the Men's 100 Free its a pick up race. Maybe one of the South Africans will win since they have had a dry spell in the last two years. I think Wildman-Tobriner could be the outside smoke and win.

In the Womens 200 Back, I will go with either Katie Hoff or the young Elizabeth Beisel. I give Hoff the advantage because Beisel is swimming the 400 IM and that is a tough double to swim. Which brings us to the race of the night. The Men's 200 Back pits rivals Phelps agianst Ryan Lochte. Last year Phelps beat Lochte by a second but a lot has changed since then. I am not sure who is the favorite but since Lochte has never beaten Phelps in any event in a National or International Championship, it would be hard to make him the favorite. However, he is the World Record holder now and the way he swam in the prelims, he seemed to shut down his race because he knew he would qualify for the finals. He was out in :56.54 at the 100 and was 1.5 ahead of Phelp's time at the 100 so his 2 minute time from the preliims does not mean much. I have a hard time picking against Michael the way he swimming this year and with Ryan swimming the 400 IM earlier I just can't pick against him.

I think tonight we are really going to see what Ryan Lochte is about and if he can challenge Phelps in 2008. If he could win these races that would prove that he is in for the challenge. If he splits the events, then he is where he was last year. If he loses both events and loses them badly then he has to go back to the drawing board and analyze. As Jeff said we all know he is getting closer to Michael Phelps but he has to do it in key races, like right now and since this is his best event, he has to do it now to start the meet right. Then we can look forward to the 200 IM and 100 Back later in the meet.

Great analysis! I think I'm going to sit in front of my computer a lot tonight and watch the webcasts. As a 40+, I have to root for Torres. I think Wildman-Tobriner is a great pick. I'd love to see Lochte win the 200 back, but I'm picking Phelps.

Soni swam a great race. It will be interesting to compare how Amanda Beard does in Paris. I read that Jessica Hardy doesn't like Indy ...

Rob Copeland
August 1st, 2007, 05:58 PM
jones isn't using his speed to take out his 100 free and it cost him it's a good wake up call

In the 100 swimmers should be out around second slower than their 50 free time.
cullen's been 21.9
he should take out his 100 in 22.92006 Nationals prelims…
1st Jones, Cullen 22 NC State Aquatic 50.26 49.17
r:+0.71 23.64 49.17 (25.53)

2007 Nationals prelims…
9th Jones, Cullen 23 NC State Aquatic 49.17 49.59
r:+0.79 23.68 49.59 (25.91)

Cullen actually swam the first 50 faster this year (accounting for reaction time) it was his back half where he added 0.42 that hurt.

Jeff Commings
August 1st, 2007, 07:06 PM
Dara Won! Dara Won!!

scyfreestyler
August 1st, 2007, 07:27 PM
Dara Won! Dara Won!!

Darnit! I wanted to say it first!

Kudos to her just the same. :groovy:

Jeff Commings
August 1st, 2007, 07:59 PM
Holy crap on a stick!

Michael Phelps almost got the 200 back world record. I was so excited I almost pee'd my pants!

(What I meant was, I liked it better than Pirates of Penzance.)

That was a phenomenal race. Now one has to wonder what Piersol's going to put up next week.

I'm so pumped up, I want to dive in and swim now! But I'm just going to go home and eat ice cream.

Sam Perry
August 1st, 2007, 08:06 PM
Holy crap on a stick!

Michael Phelps almost got the 200 back world record. I was so excited I almost pee'd my pants!

Absolutely phenomenal! I wish non swimmers could appreciate his talent.

ande
August 1st, 2007, 10:03 PM
what a great night of swimming

Dara swam great and continues to improve
Michael's 200 back was awesome

I didn't think Dave Walters would win the mens 100 free
it's awesome how he went out in 23.75, (way behind everyone else)
then he proceeded to back half everyone who went out in 23 low
Watch out for Dave in the 200 free, it's been a better event for him than the 100,
this is a sneak preview for the the 100 free at Olympic Trials next year
it's a very tight heat
also remember, Jason Lezak and Michael Phelps didn't swim
I think it's going to take 48.6 or 7 to make top 6 at trials

phdude
August 1st, 2007, 10:04 PM
It's absolutely insane how someone could dominate all disciplines like Phelps. Not only does he have the world record in both medleys,making him the best overall swimmer, but he came a third of a second from being able to claim the fastest 200 swimmer of three different strokes!

Just look at Phelps' best times against the best active competitor's times in each 200 discipline:

200FREE
Phelps 1:43.86
Hoogie 1:44.89

200BK
Phelps 1:54.65
Lochte 1:54.32

200BRST
Phelps 2:15.06
Hansen 2:08.50

200FLY
Phelps 1:52.09
Yamamoto 1:54.56

If you add up his times vs the best times of the specialists of each discipline, the specialists are only faster by 3.42 seconds-and the specialists only win because of Hansen's dominance in breast.
Wow.

scyfreestyler
August 1st, 2007, 10:17 PM
Absolutely phenomenal! I wish non swimmers could appreciate his talent.

Amen to that. :wine:

Jason Marsteller
August 1st, 2007, 10:55 PM
Paris Open, where Peirsol, Hoelzer, Lezak, Ball and Beard are, starts Aug. 2. Peirsol is in the 2 back on Friday.

ande
August 2nd, 2007, 10:39 AM
Day 3 prelims have started
men's 400 free is in the water

tjburk
August 2nd, 2007, 11:11 AM
I want to watch the Men's 400 tonight!!!!!

Vanderkaay
Vendt
Phelps
Jensen
Carry
Keller
Houchin
Milwain

All 3:52 or better....gonna be a good one!!!!

ande
August 2nd, 2007, 11:37 AM
heats are going by fast today
right now heat 9 of 15 is in the water for the mens 100 fly
phelps and crocker swim soon

knelson
August 2nd, 2007, 11:39 AM
Look for Phelps to challenge Keller's AR in this one. After Vanderkaay's performance in the 100 yesterday I'm interested in seeing what he can do in the 400.

tjburk
August 2nd, 2007, 12:53 PM
Prediction for tonight.....

Phelps takes the 400 in a new AR at least......
Phelps takes the 100 Fly just edging out Crocker for once......

BigVariable
August 2nd, 2007, 01:01 PM

200IM ftw.

scyfreestyler
August 2nd, 2007, 01:02 PM
200IM ftw.

A youngster has joined us.

tjburk
August 2nd, 2007, 01:05 PM
That would be my 17 yr old...

The 200 IM is Saturday.......

BigVariable
August 2nd, 2007, 01:08 PM
A youngster has joined us.

A young adult that enjoys swimming as much as watching and discussing swims by National Swimmers. ;)

ensignada
August 2nd, 2007, 01:37 PM
Last night was the first time I'd seen Phelps swim live. It almost didn't seem real. He said in the on-deck interview after the 200 that he heard the split at the 150 but just didn't have anything left in the tank to push it further.

Watson's face when he finished the 100 was priceless. He looked like he couldn't believe what he was seeing. He said he was just "swimming it".

I mentioned Dara's swim on the other thread. She was quoted in the Indy Star today saying that her swims were for master's swimmers everywhere. I thought that cool (of course, the writer said that master's was for 25 and older...sigh).

My daughter and I are headed there for tonight's finals as well. Looking forward to more amazing swims.

scyfreestyler
August 2nd, 2007, 01:40 PM
Last night was the first time I'd seen Phelps swim live. It almost didn't seem real. He said in the on-deck interview after the 200 that he heard the split at the 150 but just didn't have anything left in the tank to push it further.

Watson's face when he finished the 100 was priceless. He looked like he couldn't believe what he was seeing. He said he was just "swimming it".

I mentioned Dara's swim on the other thread. She was quoted in the Indy Star today saying that her swims were for master's swimmers everywhere. I thought that cool (of course, the writer said that master's was for 25 and older...sigh).

My daughter and I are headed there for tonight's finals as well. Looking forward to more amazing swims.

Too bad there has to be such a cloud of suspicion surrounding her right now.

FlyQueen
August 2nd, 2007, 02:47 PM

I think Crocker will win it with a 51. I'm excited to see what Wildman-Tobriner does, I pick him for third, but can see him upsetting Phelps.

Frank Thompson
August 2nd, 2007, 04:24 PM
Is everybody ready for the races tonight. Tune in to the excellent live webcast that USA Swimming is providing over at there USA Swimming site at 6:00 EST for some great races.

Last night I was very impressed with Catlin Leverenz in the 400 IM. The way she went from last to first on the breast leg was very impressive. I think Amanda Beard has her work cut out for her to make the Olympic team the way Soni and Leverenz are swimming now in that 200 Breast. The Men's 400 IM was a good race and Lochte swam well but not his best. The Mens 100 Free was a big suprise and I don't think people picked David Walters to win. I don't ever remember recently a swimmer coming from 8th postion to win like that. In the Women's 100 Free you have to be impressed with Dara Torres winning at the age of 40 regardless of the people like Scott Busfield who believe she is a drug cheat. I noticed she had a great start and was out in :25.79 and was .63 ahead of the field at the 50. I think with this swim, I pick Dara to win the 50 Free later in the meet. Katie Hoff continues to impress and improve every time out in new events and I expect this will continue until Olympic Trials.

The big race I was excited to see last night lived up to its expectations. I am very impressed with both Michael Phelps and Chris DeJong in the 200 Back. Chris DeJong took a year off and had almost a 2 second drop from his best time. In fact he outsplit Michael Phelps in the last 100 and 50 of the race last night. And of course Michael was excellent and I expect him to challenge for more World Records during the meet. Ryan Lochte did not swim very well in this event as his first test after setting the World Record. I was very suprised that he did not challenge at all. I didn't think he would beat Phelps and I think he better swim better than this or he will get beaten by Phelps in the 100 Back later in the meet.

Tonight we have some classic races. Starting with the rematch of the 800 Free we have Ziegler and Hoff going at it. I am tending to pick Ziegler here because of the year she is having but I would not be surprised if Hoff were to upset and win. I don't think 4:03.85 will be approached. In the Mens 400 Free we have a classic race here with half the field being from Club Wolverine. This is the first big 400 Free race that Michael Phelps has swam since his perfromance at the 2005 Worlds in Montreal where it was the only time in years that he failed to qualify for the finals and make a top 16 time. I look for him and PVK to slug it out. It will be interested to see what kind of turns he does tonight and if they are like the ones he did in the 200 Free at Worlds. If he is attempting to go for a World Reocord he will have to be out in 1:50 at the slowest and bring it back the same or negative split. I know he has gone 3:47 this year and I believe he will go either a high 3:43 or low 3:44 and be close if not break the American Record of 3:44.11 and PVK will be close at a high 3:44 or 3:45 for second.

In the Women's 100 Fly I will go with Dana Volmer with Rachel Komisarz as having an outside chance. In the Men's 100 Fly its the classic match between Phelps and Crocker. This is a pick him race but Michael is swimming very well and the way Crocker swam the 100 Free last night I have to go with Phelps as a slight favorite to win. However Crocker will keep the World Record at :50.40 because MP will not swim as fast.

FlyQueen
August 2nd, 2007, 04:49 PM
Skip I pretty much agree with your picks. I take Crocker though partly because Phelps is swimming the 400. No WR or even close though. I'll pick a big upset, too - Wildman-Tobriner for 2nd.

I am surprised at Vendt's 400 free. I think of him as a mile guy. Maybe the Club Wolverine style and guys are making this a better event for him. I pick Phelps there though.

I think Vollmer will nab the 100 fly title.

I'm stoked for the Hoff vs Zeigler face off in the 400 free. I pick Katie in that one in another close battle. I think Kate will win but I'll go with another upset here.

My predictions for 08 - no Beard on the team, no Komisarz in fly. I think the two fly spots will go to Coughlin & Vollmer in the 100 and Hersey and Vandenberg in the 200. I think Dara makes in individually in both the 50 (with a win) and 100. The other 50 spot to Kara Lynn (where is she?) and the other 100 spot to Coughlin or Weir.

tjburk
August 2nd, 2007, 09:46 PM
Well....50% on the predictions for me......

Phelps took the Fly...didn't see the swim....what did Crocker get DQ'd for? Too long underwater?

And I was way off on the 400....thought Phelps would have been closer!!!!!

The Fortress
August 2nd, 2007, 10:01 PM
I'm stoked for the Hoff vs Zeigler face off in the 400 free. I pick Katie in that one in another close battle. I think Kate will win but I'll go with another upset here.

Risky to pick against Kate these days! She has a wicked fast last 50. Katie Hoff really is a fabulous all around swimmer though, and having a very good meet.

Crocker got deeked for flinching on the start. He said it was due to flash photography. Looked like it could have been. The flinch was very obvious. His last 5 meters were unbelievable, outtouched again by Phelps. From one angle, it looked like he could hardly get his arms out of the water the last two strokes. Did he beat Phelps head to head when he set the WR?

Sam Perry
August 2nd, 2007, 11:20 PM
Well....50% on the predictions for me......

Phelps took the Fly...didn't see the swim....what did Crocker get DQ'd for? Too long underwater?

And I was way off on the 400....thought Phelps would have been closer!!!!!

Crocker jumped on the start (sound familiar). He told Swimming World he saw a strobe (probably a flash of a camera) and he reacted. Still swam well though. I hope he stays encouraged to next year, he has not been up to form in a while regardless of the false starts. Hansen didn't swim well in the 200 (according to him) interested to see what Aaron does in France.

FlyQueen
August 3rd, 2007, 09:36 AM
I thought the Crocker flinch looked pretty camera induced AND didn't give him any advantage. Obviously they have to call it and it's darn sh*tty. It'll make for even better hype next year. Hopefully he's getting all the bad mojo out. I can't believe he struggles so much with those finished. I think he needs to talk to a sports psychologist because I think it's a mental collapse as opposed to a physical one. He is a very intelligent, articulant, and all around good guy. He seems to be very grounded and hopefully this will help him next year.

Peirsol was 1:57 in prelims, hopefully he's got a faster swim saved for finals!

Blackbeard's Peg
August 3rd, 2007, 10:23 AM
Crocker jumped on the start (sound familiar). He told Swimming World he saw a strobe (probably a flash of a camera) and he reacted.
He handled this with infinitely more class and dignity than I ever would have; I'd've been furious.

Jeff Commings
August 3rd, 2007, 11:32 AM
Those are two words that define Ian Crocker: class and dignity.

My heart goes out to him, not just as a fellow Texas Ex but as a fellow human being. Those kinds of things have happened at lots of nationals. I'm surprised the referee didn't overturn the DQ, knowing what happened. I would have.

On another note, if I were Eddie Reese, I wouldn't be training Ian to react to a flash. Not only does he realize how dangerous that is now, but what if you're at a meet where the flash isn't so obvious, like an outdoor meet where the sun outshines the flash?

But in either case, Ian's done at the meet. I'm sure he's going back to Austin ready to gear up for next year.

Sam Perry
August 3rd, 2007, 11:49 AM
He handled this with infinitely more class and dignity than I ever would have; I'd've been furious.

Couldn't agree more. Ian seems to be nothing but class. After the relay at World's it was awesome to see how people rallied around him, says a lot about what his teammates think of him. Please don't misunderstand my "sound familiar" statement. I am a huge fan of Ian's, I just feel sorry for the strokes of bad luck he has had.

He continues to walk with pride and with God and is vocal about that. I give him kudos for being a stand up guy and relying on God to get him through what for most people would be devistating.

Jeff, you are right about Eddie maybe getting Ian to react to the horn and not the strobe. I also think they REALLY need to work on how he finishes a race (I am sure they have), but last night that final stroke looked like something I would do.

Question: I think his 100 Fly WR is maybe the best WR on the books (Thorpe's 400 Free is up there also). What do y'all think, and how long do you think it stands?

ande
August 3rd, 2007, 11:54 AM
good prelims
notice phelps split his 100 bk 27.24 27.29,
wonder what he'll go tonight

I'm curious to see what Hoff does in her 200 free

Can't wait to check out the men's 200 fr

Hansen swam a solid 59.98 100 br
wonder if he was holding back

ande

FlyQueen
August 3rd, 2007, 01:54 PM
I read the works on the finishes but doesn't race enough, which I don't quite get. Can't you swim at or near race pace in practice enough to simulate the finish? He is very classy and mature - I just adore him. (He likes fabulous music, too) I just can't help but feeling bad for him. My guess is he'll be waiting for the gun/horn from now on, and certainly at trials and in Beijing.

Glad Hansen was under 1:00. The 200 free (both men and women) will be great to watch.

ande
August 3rd, 2007, 07:40 PM
phelps almost broke the world record in the 100 bk
53.01 vs piersols 52.98

tjburk
August 3rd, 2007, 07:42 PM
3 one hundredths of a second!!!!!!! Next year will definitely be interesting.

ensignada
August 3rd, 2007, 11:04 PM
He said in the on deck interview that he thinks he may have messed up by looking at the scoreboard for his split after the turn. I have no idea whether this has any bearing, but the previous 2 evenings swims, he did not change suits in between and tonight he did. Based on his reaction on seeing his time, I think he was *really* going after this one. Again, just a novice observation, but Bensen led most if not all the way on the front 50 (since he's a local boy, the place was going wild).

Jeff Commings
August 3rd, 2007, 11:50 PM
3 one hundredths of a second!!!!!!! Next year will definitely be interesting.

We won't have to wait until next year. I'm willing to bet my mortgage that he will lead off CW's medley relay Saturday night.

Bob Bowman said Michael will scratch the 200 IM (he earned the morning off). Neither Bob nor Michael said anything about going for the record in the relay, but both of them would be dumb not to give it another go.

If I were Michael, I'd also tell myself to not lift my head so early at the finish. I think he broke his lunge to the wall too early. Looking at the scoreboard probably did cost him those precious hundredths, but there were probably 50 other things he could have done in the race to make up the time. He'll probably go out faster, too.

FlyQueen
August 4th, 2007, 10:27 AM
Next year with Peirsol, Phelps, and Lochte will still be interesting. Perhaps even more so if Phelps gets the record tonight. I was disappointed with Peirsol's morning swim. Hopefully he'll step it up a notch tonight. IF Phelps even selects one of the two backs to swim. Any predictions on what he will swim - I think the 200 and 400 IM are givens as well as both flys and the 200 free. It's a bit murkerier after that - 100 free, 100 back, 200 back ... going for all three means 11 events (including all 3 relays) which seems a bit wacked even for Phelps.

FlyQueen
August 4th, 2007, 10:59 AM
Peirsol still has a semi final swim tonight (before Phelps) and has a final swim tomorrow night to get the record back if it falls. I am sure he knows how fast Michael went.

cowsvils
August 4th, 2007, 01:22 PM
Next year with Peirsol, Phelps, and Lochte will still be interesting. Perhaps even more so if Phelps gets the record tonight. I was disappointed with Peirsol's morning swim. Hopefully he'll step it up a notch tonight. IF Phelps even selects one of the two backs to swim. Any predictions on what he will swim - I think the 200 and 400 IM are givens as well as both flys and the 200 free. It's a bit murkerier after that - 100 free, 100 back, 200 back ... going for all three means 11 events (including all 3 relays) which seems a bit wacked even for Phelps.
I would be very surprised if he does the 100 free and both the 200 and 100 back, I could see him doing one of the two backstroke events and possibly the 400, and thats still 9-11 events, which is a boatload for anyone.

jaegermeister
August 4th, 2007, 10:19 PM
The swimming has been fantastic and having a webcast was a real treat. Only problem: for me it fell on the evening meal time slot and I haven't been acting well enough to get out of being at the supper table.
Dara was smokin' fast on her 50. She is great to watch.
Seems as though MP couldn't quite squeeze out enough speed, but he didn't have any competition. Funny that swimming only one race didn't seem to help- maybe he needs to race every 30 minutes.
This is a really dumb question, but what is the IUPUI?

IndyGal
August 4th, 2007, 10:37 PM
IUPUI is Indiana University - Purdue University Indianapolis. It's a combined branch here in Indy.

ALM
August 4th, 2007, 10:43 PM
What are the abbreviations at the top of the results? I can figure out some but not all:

WR: world record
AR: American record
US: ????
CR: course record?

-

matysekj
August 4th, 2007, 10:50 PM
US: US Open Record - the fastest time swum in a US pool, regardless of nationality of the swimmer

CR: Championship record (meet record)

:bighug:

newmastersswimmer
August 4th, 2007, 11:33 PM

Similarly: No Phelps in the 200 fly nor the 400 IM (nor the 200 IM for that matter). Maybe Katie Hoff and Kate Ziegler are just focusing on events other than their absolute best events (as hrietz points out more or less in postings #6 and #7)? I noticed that Katie Hoff and Kate Ziegler had some pretty close swims against one another in both the 400 free and the 800 free though....I bet those were both very interesting races to watch live!

ande
August 5th, 2007, 07:02 AM
one comment

if cullen can go 21.82 in the 50,
he shouldn't be taking his 100 out in 23 high / 24 low
he should be 22 high

ande
August 5th, 2007, 07:05 AM
they didn't swim their best events because they didn't want to break the world records this year, they want to save them for the olympic years

Similarly: No Phelps in the 200 fly nor the 400 IM (nor the 200 IM for that matter). Maybe Katie Hoff and Kate Ziegler are just focusing on events other than their absolute best events (as hrietz points out more or less in postings #6 and #7)? I noticed that Katie Hoff and Kate Ziegler had some pretty close swims against one another in both the 400 free and the 800 free though....I bet those were both very interesting races to watch live!

Blackbeard's Peg
August 5th, 2007, 09:27 AM
they didn't swim their best events because they didn't want to break the world records this year, they want to save them for the olympic years
That, and/or maybe they're bored swimming the same darn events over and over and over and over and over again in these big meets. Why not try something else for sheets and goggles every now and again, right?