PDA

View Full Version : Would you join this group?

gufyduck
July 24th, 2007, 10:37 PM
I'm just curious what everyone's opinion is on the "masters" group I have recently discovered near me. It is run through the local community college, is priced fairly reasonably ($115/quarter). My main hesitation is right now, they do not have an instructor listed. They swim two mornings a week (Tuesday/Thursday). Also, I cannot find any reference of them on the USMS team search, and there is no mention of competition in the "course description".

Does this sound like it may be something worth looking into?

The Fortress
July 24th, 2007, 11:15 PM
Look into it anyway! When I first started back to masters swimming 2 years ago, I worked out with an informal "masters" lunchtime group at a health club. I was alerted to it by a friend. Turns out the coach was a fabulous ex trialist who helped get me back in the groove. So you never know. Could be a dud or could be a diamond in the rough. When choosing a masters team, practice time, proximity, and info about the team is critical. For example, you might want to join a team of non-triathletes -- not to resuscitate a recent thread. I just do better training with a four stroke oriented team when I train with a team. They ought to let you attend on a trial basis.

FindingMyInnerFish
July 24th, 2007, 11:51 PM
Rght, it never hurts to ask. Maybe too you can find others who are in the group, and ask them for input about the group, not only whether they like it, but what a typical practice is like. As Fortress says, if you are looking for more stroke oriented practices, and the majority of the practices are oriented toward distance/open water, or vice versa, maybe you'd need to keep looking. If you can't do a trial session, maybe you could at least watch a session to see what it's like.

ThomasK
July 25th, 2007, 06:43 AM
I too would definetely suggest you have a trial with them. If this isn't possible then watch at least part of a practice and have a chance to meet with someone from the group as wll as with the coach. The group and the coach are key elements and if you haven't met them before and get a good vibe from them - don't join! :2cents:
- Thomas

JennyS
July 25th, 2007, 05:53 PM
Is this a swimming p.e. class? $115/quarter sounds a little expensive for only two days a week of swimming. Can you use the pool at other times for lap swimming?
The pacific masters web site (pacificmasters.org) has a team listed for South Lake Tahoe that works out 3 days a week for $30/month. Also, the Sierra Nevada Masters in Truckee practices 3 days a week and it is $15/month or $35 for 3 months (I'm not sure if you're near Truckee, but just to compare).
I would say it is definitely worth looking into the masters group you signed up for, the coach may be able to help you find exactly what you're looking for. Also, most teams allow you to drop in for a small price just to try it out.
Good luck with your swimming!

gufyduck
July 25th, 2007, 06:24 PM
It looks like the info on that page is VERY old. The contact person was one of my age group coaches almost 14 years ago, and the phone number is out of date too...the area code changed to 530 over 10 years ago. Also, the time listed on the pacific masters page is when the pool schedule says "college classes"

I also doubt they allow you to use the pool at other times. I pay $52 for a 20 use card. And you are right, Truckee is too far to travel for swimming, especially with winter coming up.

I have a feeling i will call the college closer to September, to see who they have coaching/teaching and talk with them before making any decisions. I did notice that they at least have a requirement that you can swim all 4 competitive strokes, so that is a plus!